• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Afro

Can we assume they're adding crossplay back in the near future? Ranked crossplay would be a godsend for PC players. Impossible to find a match.

Theorry

Hello Gears fans!

This morning, we’ve deployed a new server side update activating our new Daily Rewards feature alongside a few additional tweaks.

Introducing Daily Rewards
From today onwards, Daily Rewards are now live in Gears of War 4!

Daily Rewards award you a specific gift once you load up Gears of War 4, ranging from standard Bounty awards to special customization items and Cards. For the most part, you’ll receive a one random Bounty Card every day to help you build your Credits stockpile or boost your XP gain in your chase for your next Re-Up (this is on top of the First Win of the Day bonus introduced in TU2).

It’ll be used for other things too! Beginning with Gearsmas this December, certain days will have exclusive Customization items to secure simply by logging in! We’ll be trying a variety of different things with the Daily Reward system over the months ahead so stay tuned for news.

As a note, Daily Rewards refresh on a daily basis at midnight PST globally. Please go to World Time Server to find out your local reset time.

Addressing Grenade Spawn Kills
We received reports on Tuesday that players were still being killed by Incendiaries in spawn after TU2. Upon investigating the issue, we found the TU2 fix is functioning correctly, but players were throwing the Incendiary on the ground at the end of the round rather than planting. The result was that the fire left on the ground wasn’t removed by the server in time to prevent the fire killing players.

As a temporary measure to counter this, we have increased the time between rounds by 5 seconds to allow the fire effect to dissipate before the next round begins. We take this issue extremely seriously, and we wanted to react to this issue as soon as possible to preserve fair gameplay.

We have a permanent fix for this planned for our next Title Update, at which point we’ll reduce the time between rounds to their previous settings.

Other Updates
We have increased the Idle Kick Timer in Core and Competitive from 2 minutes to 5 minutes. We wanted to provide more opportunities for players away from their game after starting matchmaking to join the fight again, rather than losing a player for certain. We’ll be monitoring this closely to see the impact – positive or negative - this has. We are still working hard on major features for future TUs that significantly combat quitting.

We have increased the Idle Kick Times in Private Horde to allow more time for breaks. Hosts can now pause the game for up to an hour at a time, and players can now be idle up to 30 minutes.

Adjusted the Competitive Execution round time limit from 10 minutes to 5 minutes

Escalation LAN and Private Matches will now have the Gears eSports settings as default. As with all modes, you can modify the rules to play how you want to play in Private and LAN.

Hesemonni

Banned
Got my One S and GeoW 4 today. Played through GeoW : UE on Insane without too much trouble a while back, but which is the recommended difficulty for this one?

EL CUCO

Got my One S and GeoW 4 today. Played through GeoW : UE on Insane without too much trouble a while back, but which is the recommended difficulty for this one?
Hardcore was a pretty good challenge, without feeling frustrating. I'd say start there, some enemies on Insane are kind of a pain to deal with in 4.

jadedm17

Starts a King of the Hill game 4 versus 5, and now the quit game option is removed? Seriously? Can you not start a game down a person if I have no option to quit? "Have fun getting slaughtered for 15 minutes." TDM a body doesnt matter as much, but Hill? Bullshit.

rapid32.5

So what's the deal with Gears Legacy games codes ? I have been waiting for more than a week and still havent't received them. I see people on the forums been waiting for almost a month.

Volimar

So what's the deal with Gears Legacy games codes ? I have been waiting for more than a week and still havent't received them. I see people on the forums been waiting for almost a month.

Silly question but you're checking your messages on xbox.com right? Cuz that's where they send em, not email.

Or PMs on xblive I guess, I play on PC. :p

ZBR

I'm having an issue with the game. I just bought it today and whenever I insert the disc nothing happens. There is no installation going on in the background and it's not in the queue either. I also have 94 gigs of free space available. Anyone have any clue as to what is happening?

I doubt the two PC players would make a big impact.

giphy.gif

good one lol

I finished the SP last night. A few thoughts.

1) Overall I really liked it, after I got out of that dumb 'vs bots' section at the start.

2) That section in the last chapter where
you play as a mech, I liked it. While playing, I was thinking that I'd like to get a stand-alone DLC Gears game consisting entirely of 'dumb mech shooting,' but that might be a case of its just being different rather than good on its own terms.

3) That ending wrapped itself up very quickly, it felt like. As someone who feels like games drag out their endings, I'm not complaining, but it still felt jarring.

Dosia

Is it possible to buy a single skin I want? All I see are those packs which appear to be random. Talk about a money grab if thats the only way.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to buy a single skin I want? All I see are those packs which appear to be random. Talk about a money grab if thats the only way.

you buy packs and turn the things you get into scrap which you can use to get the thing you want. It's a terrible system.

you buy packs and turn the things you get into scrap which you can use to get the thing you want. It's a terrible system.

Really? I like this system way better then Halo's Req system. I was able to get the exact skins that I want very quickly without having to open a million packs and just hope.

I think I've gotten to the point where this game where I've accepted that it's probably the worst or second worst multiplayer in the series. Only 2 is potentially worse.

There are just so many issues. Core is a train wreck, the netcode is atrocious, the maps are subpar, weapon balance is poor, the Gnasher feels like shit to use especially in Core, Guardian and KotH are a mess.

I just struggle to find enough redeeming things about the multiplayer to keep playing it.

Theorry

I think I've gotten to the point where this game where I've accepted that it's probably the worst or second worst multiplayer in the series. Only 2 is potentially worse.

There are just so many issues. Core is a train wreck, the netcode is atrocious, the maps are subpar, weapon balance is poor, the Gnasher feels like shit to use especially in Core, Guardian and KotH are a mess.

I just struggle to find enough redeeming things about the multiplayer to keep playing it.

I think its the best one ever made.

Roboculus

I disagree but that's cool.

However, if the game bums you out then you should really stop playing. Like seriously, the hell are you doing? It doesn't matter if you were a big fan of the other entries. If this one is not doing it for you then you should stop punishing yourself and move on. You'll thank yourself for it later.

HiiiLife

Bring back OSOK and make it permanent.

Also I was under the assumption wallbouncing like crazy was only possible with certain control schemes.

I've been playing on all 30s default, and naturally started clawing the controller and wall bouncing is almost second nature now mid gnasher fight. So fun.

I disagree but that's cool.

However, if the game bums you out then you should really stop playing. Like seriously, the hell are you doing? It doesn't matter if you were a big fan of the other entries. If this one is not doing it for you then you should stop punishing yourself and move on. You'll thank yourself for it later.

Who says I haven't? I've probably played less than 20 matches since TU1 dropped.

HiiiLife

This is the most fun I have had since gears 1. Yea some moments are infuriating, but that is part of gears. Lol

It's tied for Gears3 imo.

Keep in my mind I never invested time into Gears multiplayer until Gears3 lol.

But still...I'm so happy it's more of the same formula.

After every Gears release it takes me a while but eventually sinks in that I shouldn't bother trying to be competitive with it or take it too seriously. It's just way too inconsistent with so many glaringly bad choices by the devs and I'm guessing it always will be if nothing has changed with the new studio.

I'm always wondering if I actually outplayed the guy I just killed or if he just got screwed over by the inconsistency of the game (and vice versa when I die) so for me there's really no reason to get better or try to win. Since every battle is essentially a dice roll I usually just screw around with my friends now and try to just get funny kills or trick shots. I'm having a lot more fun with it now. I just can't take this series' multiplayer seriously.

I'll be checking out the Christmas stuff but after that I think I'll just make room on my HDD for the other games I'll snag over the coming weeks.

I still have yet to figure out what all these issues and inconsistencies people are having with this game. Every death I had was attributed to me not having a perfect shot, or being in a situation where I'm moving towards an enemy but shoot first (which means by the time the enemy shoots, the distance was closed a little bit further).

Maybe I'm just lucky and I have a server close by? I dunno, I live in Toronto so there probably is one close to NY or something

I admit the gingerbread Lancer is cute, but I dont like this holiday/event stuff ruining the traditional, gritty Gears aesthetic.
At least it doesnt look as bad as those big heads/Marcus masks ALL our characters had to wear a while ago.

Theorry

"The days are getting colder and the nights are getting longer, which means it’s time for the seasonal signature event for Gears of War – Gearsmas! Beginning today, this year’s holiday spectacular marks the biggest event for Gears of War 4 yet with over 30 pieces of festive content to collect, a special playlist featuring the first ever custom weapon for Gears 4 and a whole lot more.

Take a first look at the Gearsmas Celebrations in the trailer above, then read on for all the juicy details.

The Festive Collection

Gearsmas brings a whole bunch of new festive-themed items to customize your look in the spirit of the Holiday!

The Gearsmas Pack is full of Holiday Presents with 28 pieces of unique content to collect. For 400 Credits, each pack contains One Bounty and two items from the Gearsmas collection listed below:

3 ‘Ugly Gearsmas Armor’ Characters – JD, Kait and Swarm Drone
4x Gingerbread Weapon Skins
4x Festive Tree Weapon Skins
4x Snowman Weapon Skins
4x JD Wrapping Paper Weapon Skins
4x Kait Wrapping Paper Weapon Skins
4x Swarm Wrapping Paper Weapon Skins
1 Commemorative Gearsmas Emblem
For the first time, there’s also some special timed rewards to collect that can’t be found in the Gearsmas Pack. Our new Daily Rewards system will be handing out some holiday presents on the days listed below – simply jump on Gears of War 4 to claim your gift!

December 16th: Chuzzmas Emblem
December 24th – 26th: Ice Boomshot
Special Events

On top of all the new customization items to add to your collection, there’s also new ways to play!

Snowball Fight is a brand new special event that features the first custom holiday weapon for Gears of War 4 – the Snowshot. This icy looking Boomshot that fires Snowballs which, in true Gears fashion, still gibs enemies!

The mode is a variant on TDM where everyone starts with the Snowshot and 2 Snowballs. Just like real-life Snowball Fights, you’ll have to scramble to pick up more Snowballs when you’re out!

In the spirit of coming together during the holidays, Crossplay Versus is also back in a Special Event playlist. Throughout Gearsmas, Xbox One and Windows 10 players can game on together in Social with squads of up to 5 players.

As an additional thank you to our fans, both of these playlists feature 1.5x XP for the duration of Gearsmas!

New Surprises

There’s even more to come throughout December for Gears fans. Later this month, the UIR are joining the fight with their own UIR Gear Pack – we’ll be revealing more information on dates and content in this pack next week.

Speaking of the UIR, fans have hunted down many an Easter Egg in our Campaign – but there might be something new to find on December 25. Good luck in your Easter Egg hunt Gears fans!

Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/12/16/gearsmas-special-events-and-offers/#7w5cWybdFZp4G4zc.99[/url"

Get on to play because of the Gearsmas stuff. Play four games of Dodgeball, three of them have a person missing on my team at the start of the game.

Yeah, I'm done.

Stevey

I just smashed my controller playing the campaign on Hardcore.
Every time, and I mean every time I went to mantle over cover into an enemy they'd beat me to it and mantle into me.
Was on Act 5.

EL CUCO

if you press start you'll see a list of players in the game. people on PC have a little icon on their profile picture.
Hmmm, I've played 4 matches now and haven't noticed any different icons. I guess I haven't encountered anyone yet.

Make that 6 matches now.

Now I see one.

Top Bottom