• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

HiiiLife

Is it possible for an update to come out increasing the framrate when the Scorpio launches? Because I can't enjoy horde and campaign at the moment.

I just smashed my controller playing the campaign on Hardcore.
Every time, and I mean every time I went to mantle over cover into an enemy they'd beat me to it and mantle into me.
Was on Act 5.

I've smashed a bunch of controllers when raging over Gears online in the past, but never from playing single player mode.

sibarraz

Banned
How are you supposed to play in versus? I was used to the campaigns were you just covered and shoot, but here your enemies approach and one shot you with the gnasher (it seems like I shouldn't aim when they are close to me

Volimar

How are you supposed to play in versus? I was used to the campaigns were you just covered and shoot, but here your enemies approach and one shot you with the gnasher (it seems like I shouldn't aim when they are close to me

Unfortunately it's a gnasher's paradise. Every time that Epic tried to rein in the gnasher's power in previous games the playerbase went apeshit. They love their one shot gibbing so don't expect that to go away anytime soon.

And no, you have to learn to fire from the hip for short range fighting, especially versus.

HiiiLife

Gnasher of War. Then Power Weapons of War.

You REALLY gotta maintain the distance with active lancer rounds to get the feel you're thinking of. It's possible, but people just love wallbouncing/shotties.

I still have yet to figure out what all these issues and inconsistencies people are having with this game. Every death I had was attributed to me not having a perfect shot, or being in a situation where I'm moving towards an enemy but shoot first (which means by the time the enemy shoots, the distance was closed a little bit further).

Maybe I'm just lucky and I have a server close by? I dunno, I live in Toronto so there probably is one close to NY or something

Tell me why this guy killed me with a gnasher at this range yet I can barely hurt anyone at that range with mine. Have you ever downed anyone at this range with a gnasher in two shots? I doubt you even could in 4 shots, yet this dude had no problem doing it.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/23885001 (for some reason the Game DVR and Live sharing is down so I'll relink when it works again)

Just like every time you walk up to someone pointblank and shoot them only to have them dive 10ft away and down you in one shot. The game is loaded with inconsistency. It's usually gnasher-related but the grenade killing distance is inconsistent, the boomshot splash damage is inconsistent (same with torque although to a lesser extent). It's hard to blame this on lag since it all happens in private matches too. The game is just inconsistent. Maybe you're not sensitive to it or care enough to noticed but the inconsistencies are definitely there.

Tell me why this guy killed me with a gnasher at this range yet I can barely hurt anyone at that range with mine. Have you ever downed anyone at this range with a gnasher in two shots? I doubt you even could in 4 shots, yet this dude had no problem doing it.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/23885001 (for some reason the Game DVR and Live sharing is down so I'll relink when it works again)

Just like every time you walk up to someone pointblank and shoot them only to have them dive 10ft away and down you in one shot. The game is loaded with inconsistency. It's usually gnasher-related but the grenade killing distance is inconsistent, the boomshot splash damage is inconsistent (same with torque although to a lesser extent). It's hard to blame this on lag since it all happens in private matches too. The game is just inconsistent. Maybe you're not sensitive to it or care enough to noticed but the inconsistencies are definitely there.
Okay I guess I am lucky cause that never happened to me wtf that's crazy

sibarraz

Banned
By the way, thanks to 4 I could finally finish the gears of wars trilogy (I left at the half of 2 in 2010 because I sold the console)

Overall I feel like 3 campaign is superior to 2, who has a better beggining but a boring finish, also I heard that judgment was criticized but at the moment I'm having a blast with it, maybe is because I got it for free and didn't play full price for it

Not experiencing inconsistency in Gears definitely qualifies as being lucky.

Here's another good one I just recorded. My teammate shoots someone pointblank with the Boomshot and lives. How many times have you shot someone from even further away and killed yourself? I know I sure as hell have,

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/24722604

Volimar

Gears is def inconsistent as hell. Guess I just love the pain.

It's consistent, it's just consistent in the wrong ways. I was in the Gears 3 beta. The sawed off and Retro Lancer started off well balanced, but it would have limited the dominance of the shotgun so the beta forums got all up in arms about it until the retro and SO were nerfed, the latter to practical unuseability.

It's consistent, it's just consistent in the wrong ways. I was in the Gears 3 beta. The sawed off and Retro Lancer started off well balanced, but it would have limited the dominance of the shotgun so the beta forums got all up in arms about it until the retro and SO were nerfed, the latter to practical unuseability.

The retro was and is an absolute monster in Gears of War 3. It's a power weapon in all but name.

It was worse in the beta because it had no recoil. Epic added more kick but it didn't stop people abusing it by firing it in bursts.

The retro in Gears of War 3 is the very definition of an unbalanced weapon as it's incredibly effective outside of its intended range.

The enforcer in Gears of War 4 is what the Gears of War 3 retro should have been if you ask me.

The sawn-off shotgun was nowhere near as bad (I never had a problem with it) - though the community does have a sore spot over it's very inclusion.

Wait, does local co-op Horde Mode require a gold account? If so ... why?

EDIT: It doesn't actually tell you, if you click on it it brings up the offer to buy gold, then if you say no thanks it gives an error message saying the service is down (rather than a message saying it requires gold to play that mode).

More gems from last night

In what world at 0:22 is this not a headshot? The Gears world, that's which one.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/24818662

Active Lancer firing at a guy (admittedly not great shooting on my part) but how does he down me at this distance with a Gnasher this fast? I never seem to be able to do this with my Gnasher.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/24818761

Not sure how this guy doesn't completely splatter this dude at 0:16, or at least down him. I've been downed in one shot from twice that range.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/24818809

And boltok can do one shot headshots now? Since when? If so then how come (even with active) my Boltok headshots never kill in one hit?
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/24818931

So yeah, this stuff happens to me constantly. It's an inconsistent mess. And as you can see half those videos are of teammates getting screwed so I know I'm not alone. You seriously don't experience this stuff? It happens to me pretty much every single game.

Dosia

Lol. I have lost count how many times I have shot someone up close with the shotty and they proceed to blow me away. "You did 80%+ dmg on one hit." I dont take it seriously anymore, but I find the game very enjoyable for the most part.

Cindro

I just bought this on a whim, with the $23 price tag (thanks, GCU!) and bonus of all prior Gears games being pretty motivating factors.

I don't care for multiplayer, but I played the campaigns for 1 and 2 back in the day. I want to replay the orig trig before dipping into 4 (as I'm guessing it's really difficult to go backwards into last gen right after experiencing all the new things 4 brings to the table), but it seems like that will put me on a crash course with some Gears burnout, yeah?

Did anyone else try replaying all the back compat titles before blazing into 4? How long are the campaigns in those games if I try to mainline them all on the easiest mode?

And Judgement isn't even worth considering in this conversation, right?

I just bought this on a whim, with the $23 price tag (thanks, GCU!) and bonus of all prior Gears games being pretty motivating factors.

I don't care for multiplayer, but I played the campaigns for 1 and 2 back in the day. I want to replay the orig trig before dipping into 4 (as I'm guessing it's really difficult to go backwards into last gen right after experiencing all the new things 4 brings to the table), but it seems like that will put me on a crash course with some Gears burnout, yeah?

Did anyone else try replaying all the back compat titles before blazing into 4? How long are the campaigns in those games if I try to mainline them all on the easiest mode?

And Judgement isn't even worth considering in this conversation, right?

I only played 3 before diviving into 4.

I didnt want to go back on 1/2 when i can remember most of it. 3 was longer than i expected.

Judgment i hear is just a campaign full of horde.. i didnt play it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Just beat the campaign.

Really really enjoyed the game a lot. The Horde mode stuff was terrible, felt like cheap padding and a few sequences that went on a bit too long. The opening sequence was a little too slow, but I didn't mind the robots at all.

I really liked the feeling of a Gears 1 sequel where the enemies are hard to kill and the big encounters are pretty scary. Nothing was as good as the fight with the Berserker or Corpser from Gears 1.. but several really fun encounters. Ending was a little too Brumac Rodeo where I felt like I couldn't die after an entire game of feeling really vulnerable and under powered.

Enemy reveal structure was a little formulaic with the:

1) Introduce 1 big bad - make you fight them.
2) Introduce same enemy with lesser enemies.
3) Introduce 2 at once.
4) Introduce 2 at once with lesser enemies.
5) Put in Horde mode encounter at chapter end.

That said, probably my second favorite Gears game start to finish.

Roboculus

God damn that's pricey.

Man I thought they finally figured it out after the pack updates last month....

Maybe they thought people would be happy because it looks better when compared to the elite pack. But the problem is that people aren't interested in the elite packs. People wanna unlock things more frequently (even if the rng percentages are lower) so you need to give us cheaper packs to buy. We can tolerate dupes if we are unlocking packs often enough but that's obviously not gonna be the case here.

Allforce

Hoo boy. So it's 10 bucks or 4400 credits and it's not even an entire pack of UIR items? So I can get a Spain Emblem in this if I'm lucky?

This enhanced Elite Pack variant features 3 UIR Customization Items in every pack as well as two Customization Cards of any type from the Series 1 Collection. Find it in-game on December 22nd for 4400 Credits / $9.99 USD

Tinúviel

Just finished campaing i think Coalition nailed it,this is one of the best Gears experience out there if not the best.On PC i think this is one of the best looking game available right now both technically and aesthetically i really wish we see more AAA titles using Unreal 4.I always stopped and watched the scenery,very well crafted world.

13y6ro5.png

God damn that's pricey.

Man I thought they finally figured it out after the pack updates last month....

Maybe they thought people would be happy because it looks better when compared to the elite pack. But the problem is that people aren't interested in the elite packs. People wanna unlock things more frequently (even if the rng percentages are lower) so you need to give us cheaper packs to buy. We can tolerate dupes if we are unlocking packs often enough but that's obviously not gonna be the case here.

Hoo boy. So it's 10 bucks or 4400 credits and it's not even an entire pack of UIR items? So I can get a Spain Emblem in this if I'm lucky?

I can't understand how they keep getting it so wrong. We know they want us to buy them with real cash, but these packs cost so much money, it totally turns people off.

I don't really care for cosmetics, I didn't in Gears of War 3 either, but removing character unlocks from natural progression was a huge mistake.

Dosia

Lol @ $10 for random skins... Who the hell buys these? I want more skins, but I sure as hell am not going to get suckered into this BS.

Allforce

They must be making a mint on this stuff since the cost keeps going up. I mean I play casually and would probably consider throwing down 10 bucks on a pack that contained a number of the same themed skins but 10 bucks for a random drop of 3? And the majority of them are Emblems? AND they allow duplicates? I'm not even a potential customer now.

Bizarre.

TheChits

I want to enjoy gears 4, but so many things seem like a step back from 3. This greedy nonsense doesn't help. I don't think I have a very positive opinion of TC

pizzacat

Banned
What about paduk? The only uir soldier with a name lol. Wheres that dev that was always posting and seems to not be here too often why are things priced like this?

What was the price when they leaked?

And Jesus, when is the $10 Locust pack?

It was something pretty low. 400 credits I think.

You know, $10 wouldn't be so egregious if you got everything for that price. All the characters and skins for $10. Sure, fine.

It's just sad that it's $10 to basically roll the dice on three, not even five, THREE UIR items. Really, really sad.

Never seen the Gears community come together so well. Forum thread just hit 1122 posts. Guess what? They just released them and nothing changed. Smdh.

Tinúviel;227000655 said:
Just finished campaing i think Coalition nailed it,this is one of the best Gears experience out there if not the best.On PC i think this is one of the best looking game available right now both technically and aesthetically i really wish we see more AAA titles using Unreal 4.I always stopped and watched the scenery,very well crafted world.

13y6ro5.png

That mountain scene was beautiful. I took a screenshot of it myself, when I got there.

Here is a nice video detailing those super-expensive skins. They are nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47GeYSZgVk&feature=youtu.be

The main thing for me is that the game does well financially, so the devs continue to support it, so im not too bitter about the cost. Having said that, I wont be buying any packs myself. I dont have that kinda cash to spare.

oo7

My response to the idiotic pricing of the UIR packs.

"I'm all for devs making money after the fact but come on fellas. That ***** doesn't warrant a $10 price tag and you know it. You guys are going to do all you can to dwarf this community aren't you? This outcry shouldn't be a surprise. You've gauged your audience, seen the outrage on the message boards, and still throw out that high dollar price tag for some cosmetics.

$5 a pack and people would have been singing your praises. $10 a pack and you see the result.

10000 purchases at $5 a pack or less than half of that at $10 a pack.

Be smart, make your stuff more appealing and you'll still bring in the money ffs. "

Gears is my game, I defend all their pricing schemes and whatnot, but man, $10 for this shit is wild. $10 for a chance at a character skin.

bman94

First time playing Gears multiplayer since Gears 3, fucking hell did they make the Gnasher even more OP or is it just me?

It is pretty strong and also inconsistent.

Bingo.

Which is why I can shoot someone point blank with active yet this happens...
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/24934417
I mean only 62% with active that close? Can someone explain that to me?

But then I run into people who can down me from 20ft away like this...
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/24934437

It's just completely all over the place. Every battle is a dice roll. All of the fun gets sucked out of it because it seems like skill is less and less of a factor the more I play. It's like Gears 1 levels of inconsistency without the excuse of host/lag. It's a joke honestly.

Top Bottom