• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Shady859

Having alot of fun on survival but can't beat round 9. Playing with randoms, no one I know bought it... 1 time we had a awesome team bout 90% through round 9 and the host dropped. Lagged forever then set up a new host and restarted on round 1... Everyone quits out.... Doh!!!

dokish

Banned
Something must be wrong in Overrun. As a Locust, my cooldown time of Medic is pretty low. As a COG, is RIDICULOUSLY LONG! What the hell?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I also mean transitioning in and out of player animations. Like jumping, being able to move quickly or fire a gnasher when coming out of sprint. Did they take omnidirectional movement out of the game? The cover system is very "sticky." In that way, yes, it feels like Gears 1 heh

Oh, this stuff does seem the same as it is in overrun, though a higher player speed helps a lot in general. It does have omnidirectional roll.

This.

The map design is very hodge podge. Just random stairs and ramps and easy too many passageways to get lost In. No direction and no rhyme or reason where things are placed. There are no points for stand offs and map control is basically gone.

Everything feels janky. Even the UI stutters. Who decided to use animated 3D models for the stat screens and character select? It's sloppy. The high res 2D images from Gears 3 would have been fine.

Also....LOCUSTS!!! I guess they were too cheap to do the voice overs fir new Locust call outs. That and it would be too hard to implement body skins for them too.

I might write long, detailed write up in a few days, illustrating what's good, what's bad, what had potential and what needs to go.

This is spot on how I feel!

Grisby

Something must be wrong in Overrun. As a Locust, my cooldown time of Medic is pretty low. As a COG, is RIDICULOUSLY LONG! What the hell?
I think it's supposed to be longer as a cog. Most of the time your going to get overrun unless you use a lot of teamwork or the attacking team is just bad. It's about who has the shortest time after having destroyed all three objectives.

U2NUMB

So my initial impression of the online is... I like it very much. Something about how it plays I really enjoy.. I am also not taking it too seriously which I know has been my problem in past Gears.. but yea I wish there were more maps of course but I am enjoying it very much!

Papercuts

The sawn off got nerfed so bad, it's hilarious. I straight up melee killed a guy with the torque bow as he double shot at me, barely scratching me. That thing is legitimately difficult to use now, and given the loadout changes I can't even get mad if I die by it now.

Papercuts

There is no one playing this game. 5500 on regular, less than 1500 on vip. I hope more people play this :/

?

There's over 6000 in VIP, 2000 in special event, ~24000 in standard playlists. Unless you mean something like overrun specifically.

When you get that notice over and over it's best to restart the search because you'll just end up playing P2P. Rest assured there are plenty of people playing judgment... for now.

JaxJag

Banned
People who are saying Gears: Judgement is more like Gears 1 just don't understand what Made Gears 1, and the Gears after that the franchise that it is.

Gears competitive play has always been about teamwork, fighting over weapons and important areas of every map. The pace always, even in the first Gears, has been a little slower, a little more tactical.

With the exception of Overrun mode, that is all out the window. There's no strategy in TDM now, there is absolutely no teamwork, and cover has been made completely useless with map design that has no business being in a Gears game.

To be honest, I wouldn't care about the changes if Epic (according to GB Epic did the MP dunno if that's accurate or not) would of just included a few maps that were faithful to the old Gears games, with a Gears classic playlist.

The way the game is setup now, I dunno who they are trying to please.

People who are saying Gears: Judgement is more like Gears 1 just don't understand what Made Gears 1, and the Gears after that the franchise that it is.

Gears competitive play has always been about teamwork, fighting over weapons and important areas of every map. The pace always, even in the first Gears, has been a little slower, a little more tactical.

With the exception of Overrun mode, that is all out the window. There's no strategy in TDM now, there is absolutely no teamwork, and cover has been made completely useless with map design that has no business being in a Gears game.

To be honest, I wouldn't care about the changes if Epic (according to GB Epic did the MP dunno if that's accurate or not) would of just included a few maps that were faithful to the old Gears games, with a Gears classic playlist.

The way the game is setup now, I dunno who they are trying to please.

Agreed with everything you just said. Despite that, I'm still enjoying myself but my buddies and I definitely plan on going back to Gears 3.

Overrun is so damn good and even though FFA is a clusterfuck, I enjoy it haha. Gondola is a fucking awesome map too.

Also, fuck the LB for grenades and everyone being able to start with one. I remember when Rainbow Six Vegas was a spam fest, which completely defeated the purpose of being a Rainbow Six game in the first place.

Pandering to an audience who just wants to run around and kill things easier, smh.

Here's hoping they patch some things up and at the very least go back to what made Gears mp great for Gears 4.

GolazoDan

Played the Overrun demo. It was pretty fun! I've genuinely played maybe three competitive Gears multiplayer games before so I don't know how it compares but I enjoyed myself, thought I was contributing in my only special way, and by that I mean choosing the wretch, leaping over the fences and causing mayhem before eating a shotgun blast in the gob. Lifespan 10 seconds.

How's the Gears 3 multiplayer scene these days anyway? Still alive? Might revisit that, few rounds of Horde to bring back the nostalgia. Maybe even some competitive stuff...

smik

bring back the locust, free for all mode especially should not exclude them.

COG vs COG atm is just ridiculous, its very hard sometimes to distinguish your enemies as the Armour camo's are all over the place, some are even disorientating.
countless times my own teamates shoot me with their rifles and boomshots

its just not Gears without them

playing through the campaign (up to Coles statement) and I've seen a few areas that could totally be used for MP. why doesn't Epic do this? it seems like a good way to add maps without actually having to start from scratch. if I remember correctly Battlefield did this.

that big courtyard at the Onxy Academy and the big rotunda in the mansion are perfect examples.

EDIT: I still have extra Hammerburst/YoungDom/Anya codes to trade. looking for more gears:J stuff

jlh

Has anybody that ordered this from the Microsoft Store(online) gotten their 1600msp yet?

I haven't gotten my MS points or Alex Brand Codes yet. :/

I had to wait five days for my Tomb Raider preorder points so I figure I will get the code for this one on Monday. They are definitely not as fast as Amazon when it comes to fulfillment of bonuses but $20 in MSP was too good of a deal to pass up.

Grisby

Really feeling the low map count now.

Also, some feel like freaking ghost towns (library). Way too big.
Has anybody that ordered this from the Microsoft Store(online) gotten their 1600msp yet?
Someone said something about it being within 10 days of release. So there's that I guess.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god. Aftermath is 1000000% better than the main campaign. Actual story being told, interactions between characters...it feels like an extension of Gears 3's campaign. It's amazing.

Man Insane difficulty is extremely difficult in this game.

No more arcade mode or mutators and it's very easy to die in one shot to things like boomers.

I bought a weapon skin. I am a sucker (the points were just sitting there, though; I swear!).

And yeah, low map count is starting to drag things down a bit. I'd play Overrun, but I really don't want to subject myself to the varied movement speeds after becoming so accustomed to the pace of TDM/FFA.

Also, smik, do you go by Im Smik online? Played with you last night, if so. Man, you're terrible
loljkz you're probably the best player in 95% of games

Papercuts

Luckily I like all the maps a lot so far, but hopefully the next 2 coming up deliver on that front. I've been jumping around modes a lot which is also helping to spice it up, overrun maps have so many cool little ticker tunnels that let you fuck with people really well.

Oh god. Aftermath is 1000000% better than the main campaign. Actual story being told, interactions between characters...it feels like an extension of Gears 3's campaign. It's amazing.

that's because it's probably leftover content from gears3 that didn't make it.

And yeah, low map count is starting to drag things down a bit. I'd play Overrun, but I really don't want to subject myself to the varied movement speeds after becoming so accustomed to the pace of TDM/FFA.

they should split the OverRun maps in half and add them to MP VS. Skyline1, Skyline2 etc.

Grisby

Overrun is definitely the best part of the MP so far. Always thought Beast mode was cool but fighting the AI was boring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
that's because it's probably leftover content from gears3 that didn't make it.

It REALLY feels like it. It's the same standard Gears 3 had, and NONE of the different things about Judgment (save the control changes) - no ammo drops, etc. Sigh...I miss Gears 3 now :p

Xamdou

Seems like they did a big Nerf on the retro lancer, which is my main gun. I easily got over 1.0 k/d ratio in Gears 3 and in this game I can't even reach a 1.0 k/d ratio.

Papercuts

Seems like they did a big Nerf on the retro lancer, which is my main gun. I easily got over 1.0 k/d ratio in Gears 3 and in this game I can't even reach a 1.0 k/d ratio.

The retro was pretty hilarious at the start of Gears 3. I did so damn well with hipfiring active shots, I think right now a lot of people are just feeling the effects of no active reload buffs.

Heysoos

Just an FYI for some of you retail workers, ExpertZone has it for 25-30$ bucks depending on your level. :) Just ordered the game for 30 bucks. <3 Microsoft.

RibMan

Even though stuff like weapon switching and nades play out faster than they used to, the actual movement and rolling seems MUCH slower than Gears 3 and almost makes me not want to play it.

This is judging from the demo.

I agree. The character movement feels like GeOW1. It's not a big turnoff for me, but I definitely prefer the faster moving characters in GeOW3.

ShogunX

Just ran into an Epic Reaper (Developer) in a deathmatch. Freaky as fuck the way they float about the map leaving weird black smoky trails behind.

Killed the dude and got the reaper skin for my guns and the medal which looks nice.

So played about three levels in this so far.. but what happened to the epic campaigns like the other games had? This just seems to be very mundane, and room, after room, after room. Someone tell me it get's better? Pretty disappointed so far :(

Papercuts

So played about three levels in this so far.. but what happened to the epic campaigns like the other games had? This just seems to be very mundane, and room, after room, after room. Someone tell me it get's better? Pretty disappointed so far :(

I liked it a lot more once I got to the second act, but maybe I just got used to the arcadey feel. The fights themselves get very hectic and difficult, which personally I have been having a blast dismantling.

Love the multiplayer, and this is from someone who hated Gears 2 and Gears 3.

I don't even care if it's only "4" maps, they're all amazing and high quality, fantastic multiplayer.

Haven't tried campaign yet, hope it's just as good.

I liked it a lot more once I got to the second act, but maybe I just got used to the arcadey feel. The fights themselves get very hectic and difficult, which personally I have been having a blast dismantling.

I like the look and the feel of the game. There just is very little character interaction. There hasn't been any massive fights really. Just streams and streams of bad guys coming in. Where's the shooting from vehicles? Fighting the huge creatures? Etc? Unless this just ramp up crazy toward the middle and end. Yet with people saying that Aftermath is way better. I'm guessing not. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like the look and the feel of the game. There just is very little character interaction. There hasn't been any massive fights really. Just streams and streams of bad guys coming in. Where's the shooting from vehicles? Fighting the huge creatures? Etc? Unless this just ramp up crazy toward the middle and end. Yet with people saying that Aftermath is way better. I'm guessing not. :(

You won't get any of that. Aftermath IS way better, way different than the main campaign. Hang in there and you'll get something you enjoy.

ShogunX

Just ran into an Epic Reaper (Developer) in a deathmatch. Freaky as fuck the way they float about the map leaving weird black smoky trails behind.

Killed the dude and got the reaper skin for my guns and the medal which looks nice.

43ea32a1a4a810d561158ff562ae2ffb_zps75686ebc.png

There he is. Has some weird chainsaw lunge as well.

Papercuts

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i33/fatpat666/43ea32a1a4a810d561158ff562ae2ffb_zps75686ebc.png[IMG]

There he is. Has some weird chainsaw lunge as well.[/QUOTE]

Wait, do you unlock the character itself when you kill one? That's cool.

[quote="Laughlin, post: 50923023"]Okay, one last complaint.

NO active reload? A staple of Gears? Really?!

I'm done now.[/QUOTE]

Active reload is there, it just doesn't buff guns outside of campaign. Which is a great change in my opinion.

DocSeuss

Ran into a few bugs that required a checkpoint reset to continue, certain enemies seem to target me and only me a bit unfairly, and the writing is a big step back from the previous game.

Okay, one last complaint.

NO active reload? A staple of Gears? Really?!

I'm done now.

I'm using Active Reload right now...

Shady859

I like survival but having a hard time getting a game going. It fails to find match then starts me with 4 retarded AI players...

So I checked:

12:45 - 1:00 am EST

GoW:J
30,000 TOTAL MP + VIP servers which numbers I can't see because I didn't buy the season pass....

Black Ops 2
199,000 not including zombies...

MW3
30,000 in standard MP..

GoW 3
5,000 ish? Can't be right... I don't have full MP unlocked I don't think... . I only made it level 12 in this Gears lol.. Only played some horde at release didn't buy it till late in cycle. Already 23 in new one...

Disappointing start to release week I'd say.

Edit: will pop in halo 4 in the spirit of shooter fairness.

1:20 am.

Halo 4 (delayed had to re-install disc 2 lol)

BF3
Wow 2 more GB update waiting... Already takes up 20gb +

Top Bottom