• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

This post gave me cancer. The two piece being back while the gnasher itself takes tons of shots to kill someone was probably the worst thing they could have done save for removing it.
Think your aim is off then, haven't struggled once with the gnasher, maybe it's because your not whoring the active reload?

I havent seen anyone even get close enough to melee to see if the two-piece is back of not. Anyone who tries to get to close gets a sticky grenade now, plus I was using the retro lancer and that thing drops people long before they can get close to you.

GolazoDan

So this game is alright? Not hearing as much UGH SERIES FATIGUE as with God of War: Ascension.

I love Gears, especially Gears 3. I dunno how long I'll be able to resist this. Gears/Bioshock Infinite double whammy, laying the smack down on my wallet.

Casanova

Too psyched to try this game out. I have a good friend who is a seasoned Gears fan and he says Judgement tramples Gears 3 in terms of balance and general playability.

I remember him mentioning that they nerfed the sawdoff shotgun and while there are only 4 maps shipped for MP, they all flow very well and provide some nice halls for shotgun battles and areas for some interesting team-encounters.

It seems like a pretty decent game.

It's almost as if one person on GAF can acquire a bad opinion on a game and everyone then suddenly jumps on the boat to prove that they can also critique a game and innacurately judge it on it's few flaws.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
You have time to shoot the guy two-piecing you between the melee and the shot, just like Gears 2 and 3 people. Don't lose to it.

Gnasher is still a one-shot kill up close, it just doesn't have a rifle-life range like it used to because of the slightly-wider spread.

While I'm dropping tips anyways, there is no difference between hipfire and zoomed-in shots now, and the fact that shots come out the center of the screen again like in Gears 1, you have no reason to use the L-trigger at all anymore, nor a reason to missing someone up close while turning.

Me (left) and SouSouRocket (right) at a GoW:J launch event at the Microsoft Store last night.

qQyzMvw.jpg

Still got to finish tomb raider before cracking it open, but can't wait...

That's cool man.

So this game is alright? Not hearing as much UGH SERIES FATIGUE as with God of War: Ascension.

I love Gears, especially Gears 3. I dunno how long I'll be able to resist this. Gears/Bioshock Infinite double whammy, laying the smack down on my wallet.

I think you arnt hearing series fatigue with this game is they made a ton of changes. The sp and mp are very different then any other Gears game. They took a lot of chances and for the most part they all paid off for them.

But my issues are...

- The tug of war aspect of the game that makes Gears what it is appears to be gone. That intricate aspect of running through assymetrical maps in order to make a decision on boomshot or torque, perhaps grab frags, etc. THIS IS WHAT GEARS FUCKING IS. The game is ADHD now. Everyone running around in their fruity fucking rainbow suits dropping from heaven.

Yep. While I am enjoying the game quite a bit, you're absolutely spot on about this. The risk/reward gameplay is all but lost. Now it's more of a 'roadie run in a direction chosen at random and- oh, what up, Boomshot?'

It rarely feels as if you're fighting against a team holding their ground, let alone coordinating movements as a team. It's a bit of a mess, but it can still entertain.

And speaking of mess... FFA. What in god's cluster-fucked name is even going on here? I'm not sure whether to admire the mode for being what it is, or laugh in its googed out face. Mental.

I'm still getting used to this game since it's been a while as I didn't stick with Gears 3 for very long after launch. I am thankful to see that the Sawed-Off seems to have been nerfed to hell and back from the several hours that I have played so far. It seems that you really have to work for your kills with it.

Gnasher currently feels kind of inconsistent to me. In many instances I've unloaded 3-4 shots from a mid to close range distance. This could change after more time with the game and maybe some balance patches. I haven't tried two piecing much at all since I had no idea it was back until I read about it in this thread. I've actually been dabbling with the Hammerburst which feels way more consistent to me, but it requires a bit of a playstyle change. However, the Gnasher is the true heart and soul of this series for me so its hard to stay away from it for too long.

Overall, the multiplayer feels like Gears 3 with a slightly faster pace, a nice sense of verticality in the maps, and what currently feels like a wide selection of weapons with pretty good balance. I have some good matches and some bad matches, but the highest compliment I can give it is that I am strangely itching to play more. Hopefully, my opinion of this changes for the better.

GolazoDan

I think you arnt hearing series fatigue with this game is they made a ton of changes. The sp and mp are very different then any other Gears game. They took a lot of chances and for the most part they all paid off for them.
Perhaps, it certainly looks different in a few ways. It's interesting anyway, even if all the changes don't immediately blow me away. I think PCF being allowed to play around with the Gears formula is more appealing than more of the same because if I want more of the same I'll play Gears 3.

Yep. While I am enjoying the game quite a bit, you're absolutely spot on about this. The risk/reward gameplay is all but lost. Now it's more of a 'roadie run in a direction chosen at random and- oh, what up, Boomshot?'

It rarely feels as if you're fighting against a team holding their ground, let alone coordinating movements as a team. It's a bit of a mess, but it can still entertain.

And speaking of mess... FFA. What in god's cluster-fucked name is even going on here? I'm not sure whether to admire the mode for being what it is, or laugh in its googed out face. Mental.

Yeah FFa is amazing. There is never a dull moment, you just run from fight to fight. There is someone around every corner, and people are always dropping down from up high. It is like the opposite of Halo's FFA, instead of everyone hanging back and having BR/DMR fights, everyone is constantly rushing each other.

Lmao it's only because the game has just launched and no one knows the maps yet!

Play style will come, people will go for the boom etc, just at the moment everyone is a bit clueless and a lot of new players are on

I love that gears is a run and gun and let's have fun type game again, if you have a stacked team you will win as you did in the fluffy versions.

Like me and my mates, I got the game first got smashed in every game mode, got 2 of my team mates on we haven't lost a match yet.

Team play still works in judgement, it's just getting your old team back from gears 1 that will be the problem after they left from gears 2 and 3

2San

It was a big thing in Gears 1 where a player could melee another player up close and get a brief moment after it to fire their shotgun resulting in something like a one, two punch. It was fairly easy and very exploitable. They fixed the problem in later sequels by adding a brief firing delay after a melee hit. Correct me if I am wrong on any of that.

I actually haven't seen much two piecing in Judgement yet surprisingly enough.
Gears 2 used to have it as well, but it got fixed with a title update. Gears 3 never had the problem, I still used it from time to time with newbies for old times sake. :p Early Gears 2 two-piecing was the only way to get reliable shotgun skills(early Gears 2 had random shotgun spread), mellee had auto-aim or some shit like that. I enjoyed it immensely. :p

I hope they won't patch it out before I have a few days of fun with it(I do want it patched at some point though). It's also a decent way to kill grenadiers/kantus with in the overrun demo. :p

Kydd BlaZe

All the haters above loved gears 2 Nd 3, they prefer the fluffy bunny style game play.

Judgement is tailored to the gears 1 player, the fast aggressive style play.

For me it is the best in series and the two piece is back baby!!!! Hell yeah!
Would you kindly explain to me why you think this is tailored to the Gears 1 player? I'm just curious as to how someone can be so deluded in thinking such a thing, what with the inclusion of only one starting primary weapon, the random feel of the vertical map design (what made the Gears 1 maps so fun to play on was the asymmetrical nature of them all), the revamped controls (I don't necessarily have a problem with the new controls), and the lack of Warzone/Execution. This game doesn't even have the same pacing or flow that the original had. It just feels random as shit with people diving off of buildings and chucking grenades everywhere.

The only aspect of this game that feels even remotely similar to Gears of War 1 is the fact that the annoying as shit two-piece is back.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It was a big thing in Gears 1 where a player could melee another player up close and get a brief moment after it to fire their shotgun resulting in something like a one, two punch. It was fairly easy and very exploitable. They fixed the problem in later sequels by adding a brief firing delay after a melee hit. Correct me if I am wrong on any of that.

I actually haven't seen much two piecing in Judgement yet surprisingly enough.

It was a big thing in Gears 2 as well. It sure was ridiculous with the semi auto-aim. Good thing they fixed it later on.

I've been terrible with the Gnasher since Gears 2. Dunno, first game was the only time it clicked. I think my best kills come from charging blindly with the Retro Lancer. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Boomshield is amazing. That with the Scorcher is my favorite combo hands down.

How are people finding the Classic Hammerburst? I was trying it, but switched back to the Lancer as it seemed to be outperforming it for me.

Moofers

I'm so frustrated with Survival. Anyone who says that that this is an "evolution" of Horde must not have understood what made Horde great in the first place. Its no longer about building a fort and planning your budget/fortifications to your style. Its no longer about surviving as long as possible, which is ironic since its now called "Survival". Its not about escaping your base when its been overrun and trying to hunker down in a new spot as the enemy advances again.

Now its about protecting a box of kleenex in the middle of a burning building and the enemy WILL get to that box no matter how skilled you are. Wretches jump over barricades whlie Corpsers burrow under, grenadiers just lob grenades at it constantly (which you can't stop) and the other large enemies simply smash through them. Keeping the dumb objective safe is not fun, its frustrating. Its not about YOU anymore. Its about the game's cheap design to keep your wimpy objective pecked away at until there's nothing left and you lose. The design is CHEAP. Its not smart or creative, its fucking cheap.

DgYdM5h.gif

OrangeOak

So is the MP closer to Gears 1? Played the Overrun demo, it was ok but it didn't give me the old Gears 1 vibe. How is TDM or the other classic modes?

Some people think that it plays more like true successor to Gears 1 other call them deluded for saying such a thing.
Like always it all depends on personal view of what a true Gears game is.
For me it feels more like Gears 1(than Gears 2 and 3) and plays like true successor to Gears 1 with obvious changes and improvements.(but it is totally different experience than Gears 1 without execution,locusts and with different mechanics)
It's fast ,you can do more alone like in Gears 1 (no stopping power,weaker weapons),map flow is better (no granade wall tagging,no stopping power,you can jump off the ledges without stucking on them),shotgun is less random(no active relode,no flintch,always shoot from the center of screen).

2San

So you guys are saying the bullets come from the middle of the screen. Has anyone tried killing someone behind them?
I think that was his point, the gnasher feels weaker to people now since they dont get the damage bonus from active reloads. It is great that the lancer's can totally beat the shotguns at mid to long range now.
Gears 3 active lancer dominated at mid range.

Moofers

Also its ridiculous that you go into matchmaking for Survival and instead of waiting until you have a full group, it just starts you in a game by yourself if it can't find a match in the first 30 seconds or so. Totally stupid.

S1kkZ

i like the campaign much more than gears 2 +3 so far.

the focus on combat/action and the lack of cutscenes/story/scriptet events (your typical AAA game bullshit) is really good and makes it feel very different from the other games (despite having the same core gameplay mechanics).

the horde/defend situtations are a bit much but still entertaining.

Would you kindly explain to me why you think this is tailored to the Gears 1 player? I'm just curious as to how someone can be so deluded in thinking such a thing, what with the inclusion of only one starting primary weapon, the random feel of the vertical map design (what made the Gears 1 maps so fun to play on was the asymmetrical nature of them all), the revamped controls (I don't necessarily have a problem with the new controls), and the lack of Warzone/Execution. This game doesn't even have the same pacing or flow that the original had. It just feels random as shit with people diving off of buildings and chucking grenades everywhere.

The only aspect of this game that feels even remotely similar to Gears of War 1 is the fact that the annoying as shit two-piece is back.
Have you played the actual multiplayer? Not overrun?

TDM etc plays fast, it's more about the close aggressive style play like gears 1.

The gnasher is pretty much like gears 1 except the actives.

The game doesn't frustrate me like gears 2 and 3 did, it feels good and gives adrenaline like gears 1 did

The tags removed keeps things moving quicker, the two piece plays like gears 1 hard to master yet easy to get away from.

The maps are closer and not as spaced out as like gears 2 and 3

The sniper actually works easy!

All in all the game brings the fun back, execution will be back within a couple of weeks and I bet that will bring even more fun back! War zone I was never a fan so not worried about that

quickwhips

FFA is so good. Feels like I'm a kid again playing quake. I never felt that way about halo FFA or unreal for that matter. Its so weird that it has a really fun vibe to it. I think its the jumping out of buildings. Also Two Pieicing is so fun in GOWJ. :p I'm had some amazing fights and then someone just backpacks you.

I'm so frustrated with Survival. Anyone who says that that this is an "evolution" of Horde must not have understood what made Horde great in the first place. Its no longer about building a fort and planning your budget/fortifications to your style. Its no longer about surviving as long as possible, which is ironic since its now called "Survival". Its not about escaping your base when its been overrun and trying to hunker down in a new spot as the enemy advances again.

Now its about protecting a box of kleenex in the middle of a burning building and the enemy WILL get to that box no matter how skilled you are. Wretches jump over barricades whlie Corpsers burrow under, grenadiers just lob grenades at it constantly (which you can't stop) and the other large enemies simply smash through them. Keeping the dumb objective safe is not fun, its frustrating. Its not about YOU anymore. Its about the game's cheap design to keep your wimpy objective pecked away at until there's nothing left and you lose. The design is CHEAP. Its not smart or creative, its fucking cheap.

DgYdM5h.gif

Saw a bit of this on the Giant Bomb quick look, defending doesn't seem like fun. Love that gif!

smik

To anyone who say that this is even close to Gears 1 just in terms of playstyle/gameplay/map design/modes are seriously smoking crack, its not even on the same level to GOW1/2/3 just specifically from design philosophy's, its worlds different.

This is Judgment, cant really compare it to any of the GOW series except that it has the look of GOW3, but literally everything has been changed to appease casuals/COD/Halo fans and enough to entice the hardcores to pick it up on the faith of Gears of War 3 and franchises lovers

Is GOWJ Great? No.

its mediocre and okay at best, lack of content hurts everyone.

will post more on it later

But dude you can use a healing grenade before you get into a duel or use a gnasher with a boomshield. that's like totally rad and very reminiscent of older gears

To anyone who say that this is even close to Gears 1 just in terms of playstyle/gameplay/map design/modes are seriously smoking crack

The fuck are you talking about Smik?

*falls off a building, throws a stim grenade on the ground and pulls out a retro lancer*

I aint really nothin to fuck wit!

JUST LIKE HOW I USED TO ROLL IN GEARS 1 ON MANSION

Moofers

Gears J will feel like Gears 1 when they put back active reloads and make the sniper AR a one-hit DBNO. Until then, GTFO with that "this is totally Gears 1!" stuff.

smik

*falls off a building, throws a stim grenade on the ground and pulls out a retro lancer*

But dude you can use a healing grenade before you get into a duel or use a gnasher with a boomshield. that's like totally rad

lol....

:(

"runs into the nearest corner and crys"

Kydd BlaZe

Lol, I literally fell out of my chair after reading that. Brovo sir...bravo.

JB1981

While I'm dropping tips anyways, there is no difference between hipfire and zoomed-in shots now, and the fact that shots come out the center of the screen again like in Gears 1, you have no reason to use the L-trigger at all anymore, nor a reason to missing someone up close while turning.

You serious? How can you tell? That's kind of ... good .. for people like me who are not that great at Gears.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Was not planning on buying Judgement, but then tried the demo yesterday and really enjoyed myself. Enough that I ended up ordering the game from Amazon.

This thread was full of positive impressions yesterday, but that seems to have done a 180 now...wondering if I should keep the game sealed for a bit.

Was not planning on buying Judgement, but then tried the demo yesterday and really enjoyed myself. Enough that I ended up ordering the game from Amazon.

This thread was full of positive impressions yesterday, but that seems to have done a 180 now...wondering if I should keep the game sealed for a bit.

Judgement is the Halo 4 of Gears.

If that sounds awesome then plan on keeping it.

shinnn

Looking at the posts history you will be surprised that some of them have already bought the game, after downplaying it here for months.

My copy is coming, but I'll only have time to play on the weekend.

Judgement is the Halo 4 of Gears.

If that sounds awesome then plan on keeping it.

This makes no sense at all. People were upset at 343 for perks and ordinance drops, which were a step towards games like CoD. GoW:J isnt anything like that. It is closer to Gears 1 in that it is a lot quicker playing, and people dont just roll from cover to cover. The core gameplay is totally different then any of the other Gears games so far though.

Yea Ive been getting 2-pieced all around the world. And why do I still feel some connection inferiority in ranked matches compared to quick match, and sometimes like some players may have host because theres some bullshit happening to me I know shouldnt happened. Lost 3 free for alls in a row being at 24 kills only for the "host guy" to get some lucky 2-3 kills a row type shit. Annoying.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
You serious? How can you tell? That's kind of ... good .. for people like me who are not that great at Gears.

Tested it myself in the Overrun demo, and one of the Epic devs himself confirmed it as well for the whole game.

Shoot the wall with hipfire and then again without and you'll see that there's no difference at all - so good. One of the amazing changes in Judgment that needs more recognition.

You played it for yourself, no one should be influencing your own decisions but you.

JB1981

This makes no sense at all. People were upset at 343 for perks and ordinance drops, which were a step towards games like CoD. GoW:J isnt anything like that. It is closer to Gears 1 in that it is a lot quicker playing, and people dont just roll from cover to cover. The core gameplay is totally different then any of the other Gears games so far though.

what do you mean by this? are you talking about wall bouncing? there is less wall bouncing in this?

question: how can i play the demo?

what do you mean by this? are you talking about wall bouncing? there is less wall bouncing in this?

question: how can i play the demo?

The demo is free for everyone with gold now. I meant that I literally havent seen a single person take cover. I thought that cover really slowed Gears 2 and 3 down, but this game is just much faster paced. No more hiding in cover and blind firing the gnasher.

Top Bottom