• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears, State of Decay and Perfect Dark trailers have no mention Series X, Series S

XXL

Upon rewatching I noticed that Gears of War, State of Decay and Perfect Dark don't mention platforms. There is no Series X, Series S or Game Pass mentions in only those trailers.

Edit: Game Pass is mentioned at the showcase. I've contacted moderators to edit the title.

I thought that was interesting.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I noticed this at the time as well.

I thought it might have something to do with their multi-platform plans but seeing as how Doom had ‘Series S|X and PC’ during the showcase but was later confirmed for PS5 I’m thinking it’s just an oversight.

Kssio_Aug

Oh, that's worrisome.

The Office Reaction GIF

Tg89

Perfect Dark is obviously like 3-4 years away at this point. The others? I would assume the same but not as obvious.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think Gears might be next gen only. No idea whats going with state of decay and perfect dark.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Reasonable Awnser: It's because they are targeting 2026 release date or beyond

Last edited:
Too early, all of them were CGI trailers, we might not even get them this gen.
If you noticed in the showcase, Sarah Bond basically confirmed they are working on the next console. I thought it was weird that she mentioned that but it makes sense now, a lot of these games are probably for the next console.

But at the same time, if they are really launching a new console soon, they should have lowered the price of the Series X by now.

Last edited:
I mean it's obvious those games are coming to Xbox Series S and X as well as Game Pass. The question is, are they going to be PS5 (or PS5 & Switch 2) releases as well?

Day 1 PS5 or PS5/Switch 2? 3-month timed console exclusivity for Xbox? 6 month? We don't know but I think performance of games like Sea of Thieves on PS5 might push MS to go full slate Day 1 across all platforms (or as many as possible).

If you noticed in the showcase, Sarah Bond basically confirmed they are working on the next console. I thought it was weird that she mentioned that but it makes sense now, a lot of these games are probably for the next console.

But at the same time, if they are really launching a new console soon, they should have lowered the price of the Series X by now.

At most I'd expect stuff like Gears and Perfect Dark to be cross-gen releases for Series X/S (maybe dropping the S?) and whatever next hardware MS has.

However, I DON'T expect the next Xbox to be a fully traditional console. Not at all. They simply don't have the market cache, nostalgia factor, or momentum to really compete with Sony and Nintendo anymore in that type of space, and Microsoft knows it. So if the next Xbox is more like a PC, that gives them flexibility in pricing, features (both hardware i.e modular upgradability, & software i.e other storefronts like Steam accessible, probably tied to a Game Pass sub), and distinct value proposition while letting them still pursue their multiplatform publishing strategy.

If they tried doing a traditional console again they'd have to renege on a lot of the stuff they've been doing publishing elsewhere and probably even need to scale back the PC stuff, which would wash away a lot of rapport they've been building with customers on other platforms. Could leave a lot of them jaded and harder to persuade to jump in on the next Xbox console.

Not worth doing just to appease a very small segment of Xbox diehards who want another Xbox 360 gen from Microsoft.

I think Gears might be next gen only. No idea whats going with state of decay and perfect dark.

MS aren't doing "generations" anymore. I think this is a relic from the past in terms of thinking they're still going to compete as a traditional console platform holder. That's over with.

If the next Xbox is going to be more PC-like, there's no reason for them to cut off Series X support (Series S, I can understand) for games like Gears E-Day.

Perfect Dark is obviously like 3-4 years away at this point. The others? I would assume the same but not as obvious.

Perfect Dark's probably 2026. I mean they've got Crystal Dynamics AND Eidos Montreal working on the game. Avengers aside, CD is a very competent studio. Eidos Montreal is also obviously a very competent studio.

I think they can get something like Perfect Dark completed for release by 2026.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

It's not about being worrisome. It's more if they are even going to launch on X and S or are they next gen titles.
Even if they plan to release these games on next-gen Xbox, I have no doubts at all they would be cross-gen. And at this point, being released to Game Pass is also a given... even Black Ops 6 that people thought wouldn't be on GP day one is confirmed.

Last edited:
Perfect Dark was gameplay other two were CGI much like the very first HellBlade 2 reveal

Even the titles only PD says gameplay
And unsurprisingly Perfect Dark was their most interesting game of the show. I mean, at least they tried to show some gameplay as they were confident enough. This industry is like clockwork: Guys we have shit gameplay, let's just show them CGI.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And unsurprisingly Perfect Dark was their most interesting game of the show. I mean, at least they tried to show some gameplay as they were confident enough. This industry is like clockwork: Guys we have shit gameplay, let's just show them CGI.
Or in the case of like Hellblade 2s very first reveal, they don't have any gameplay even in house and just worked on a CGI trailer

XXL

This is absolutely could be nothing.

But I think you guys are waaaay off assuming these are for sure coming to Series X and S.

Nothing about this suggests that to me.

Even if they were late 2026, you'd think they would list the platform you're currently selling and promoting.

The last time they did this was Blade and anyone who knows that story, knows exactly why they did that.

Kssio_Aug

This is absolutely could be nothing.

But I think you guys are waaaay off assuming these are for sure coming to Series X and S.

Nothing about this suggests that to me.

Even if they were late 2026, you'd think they would list the platform you're currently selling and promoting.

The last time they did this was Blade and anyone who knows that story, knows exactly why they did that.
I mean, come on. How nothing about it suggests it? It was an Xbox event. These games are all Xbox IPs. The event happened yesterday (June 2024), and we don't even have a confirmation of next-gen Xbox yet.

It's obvious that these games are gonna be released to Series X and Series S. They literally don't need to spell it.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Release dates and new consoles are probably too close to each other to say either way.
What a nice MS strategy for AAA titles.

Till Middle of the gen keep cooking games, then when they are almost ready, oops, Next gen is just around the corner, might as well make them launch titles for Hardware.

Even this time they put up a decent show because of new hardware releases.

Top Bottom