• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

akira28

just tried it with Mech Warrior Online at 2560x1600 -> 1920x1200 and it looks marvelous. And it's at a steady 50-60fps, when normally when I downscale without GeDo, the best I get is 30-40fps. Only problem is the overlays are completely off, so none of the pre-game controls really work. Everything is shifted down and to the right, although everything seems to be in the right place on screen. I can start a battle with a little button searching, and once I'm in, it's all simulation controls, mouse and kb anyway. But you can't reload weapons or select matches or set up multiplayer options in pre-game.

But damn it looks pretty!!

i7930 with GTX 470 video. Tons better than vanilla downsampling.

jmonteiro

I can't get it to downsample from 5120x2880 to 2560x1440, it works to fine to downsample from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 but I do not want to play at 1080p. Anyone figured out a solution for the "No downsampling" problem?

Also, I can't get both GeDoSaTo and RivaTunner running on DS2. It seems GeDoSaTo takes over RivaTunner...

Just tried this on GTAIV, I thought it didn't work at all... but only the OSD doesn't show at all.

I still can select the new resolution I defined in my .ini (6720x4200) but when applied in-game I've got the whole picture supposedly resized to that res but not downscaled to my viewport (Only the top left part is displayed the rest is... too large to fit on my screen, I don't know if I'm clear enough)

Shame because GTAIV badly needs downsampling

EDIT : here's the relevant log
EDIT : Console add: Downsampling: 2 levels 6720 x 4200 -> 3360 x 2100 -> 1680 x 1050 (bicubic scaling)
3360 x 2100 is the custom resolution I made for downsampling with AMD drivers, it tries to use that resolution for some reason, lol, my head hurts
EDIT : Gears of War in 6720x4200

Yeah, most Unreal Engine 3 games seem to be just fine with it.

Goat Simulator
1gs.png

1080p

1gs2.png

4K (Found it funny the framerate drop was like barely there even going from 1080p to 4K)

Works with Sanctum 2, but mouse and tiny ui make it horrible.
1sanc2.png

1080p

1sanc.png

4K (Dat UI scaling)

1strikevector.png

Strike Vector in 4K

iIASAAJE0HeZN.png

Orion Dino Horde 4K

2_ME24_K.png

Mass Effect 2 4K redone

1napoleon.png

Napoleon: Total War. Another broken case of UI. Downsampling worked, but I wasn't able to confirm the changes because my mouse wasn't able to click on it.

Tried it with Dragon Age Origins, but it broke the menu, throws the words far away off screen.
DAOrigins_2014_04_26_16_19_35_255.jpg

How did you get it working in Mass effect 2 ?

every time i tried the resolution doesn't show up in the game menu .

Make sure you have ME2Game in the whitelist.

Problem with ME2 is that it doesn't allow controller, so higher resolutions break the mouse and ui sadly. Only good for screenshots at a specific area, till this gets fixed.

Thorgal

Did You add mass effect 2 exe to the whitelist.ini?

Make sure you have ME2Game in the whitelist.

Problem with ME2 is that it doesn't allow controller, so higher resolutions break the mouse and ui sadly. Only good for screenshots at a specific area, till this gets fixed.

I got it working now , but as you said at 8k it breaks the mouse .

When i get i ll check if Texmod wants to play nice with gedo for those high res character textures .

Is the quality of the downscaling in this superior to SGSSAA downsampling? I know from Durante's article that SGSSAA has the best downsampling quality of all methods but that was before this tool came out.

Durante

I just put up version 0.2.

Most significant improvements are fixing the Steam overlay issue and a less demanding DoF effect.

Is there quality of the downscaling in this superior to SGSSAA downsampling? I know from Durante's article that SGSSAA has the best downsampling quality of all methods but that was before this tool came out.
SGSSAA has better edge aliasing reduction per sample than downsampling. However, you can combine downsampling with postprocessing AA. I'd still prefer SGSSAA, but sadly it causes some minor artifacts in DS2.

I've tried various games and I can't seems to get it working. Games I tested are Batman Origins, Divinty Dragon Commander and Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

Antialiasing is active in all of them, steam overlay is disabled and .exe name is on whitelist. I have a Steelseries 6gv2 keyboard that doesn't have a windows key in the left, might this be the cause (though it has one in the right)?

Ran Echelon

Neo Member
I've tried various games and I can't seems to get it working. Games I tested are Batman Origins, Divinty Dragon Commander and Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

Antialiasing is active in all of them, steam overlay is disabled and .exe name is on whitelist. I have a Steelseries 6gv2 keyboard that doesn't have a windows key in the left, might this be the cause (though it has one in the right)?

How are you using the tool exactly?

Using the following desktop shortcut :
E:\Games\Crysis\Bin32\Crysis.exe -dx9 +r_width 6720 +r_height 4200 -DEVMODE +map island [Use whatever map name of course]

... Since I can't apply the Gedo resolution ingame (the UI and menus are broken) maybe that's what the modifyGetCursorPos/modifySetCursorPos settings are for ?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SGSSAA has better edge aliasing reduction per sample than downsampling. However, you can combine downsampling with postprocessing AA. I'd still prefer SGSSAA, but sadly it causes some minor artifacts in DS2.

Yeah, and that edge anti-aliasing is hugely beneficial for a lot of UE3 games which have a tendency to have bad shader aliasing, especially on gloss/specular mapped surface edges. There's stuff in my downsampled 8K ME3 shot that would actually look better with just 4xSGSSAA @ 1080p native.

Still, this tool allows me to bump up my resolution far beyond my monitor limitation, which previously couldn't hit 4K. I'm very, very happy :).

didamangi

Most significant improvements are fixing the Steam overlay issue and a less demanding DoF effect.

Praise the sun!

Oh, might want to change the ini to a more standard settings before people started complaining about how they only get 30fps :D (presentWidth 2560, presentHeight 1440, presentInterval 2 is the default ini settings)

_machine

Has anyone tried out it with the original Guild Wars? I'd love to take crack at it, but can't test it just yet (need to regain control to my account which I need my original cards for) so I'd appreciate if someone could test it.

Keep the program running and press activate, try using the blacklist option instead of the whitelist, start a game and you should be able to change to the resolution specified in the ini.

You should get a bar at the top if it is working.

oxidax

Can someone post what their GeDoSaTo.ini file should look like if I want to downscale from 4k to a 1080p monitor?

# Graphics settings

# The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at.
#renderWidth 5120
#renderHeight 2880
renderWidth 4096
renderHeight 2160
#renderWidth 3200
#renderHeight 1800
reportedHz 120

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
#presentWidth 2560
#presentHeight 1440
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 120

Just overwrite that part.

S0N0S

[Asmodean];109538212 said:
Aye lol, that happened when I was working with the distance clamping to try work around the lod haloing from my old version. I thought I fixed it on the current upped version though (?). Did you get the latest version, here?

Ah yes, I must have caught an earlier version. Your latest ver works just fine. :)

General downsampling question:

When I've experimented with it on my PC (just general downsampling) it screw up my 2nd monitor. Is there anyway to stop this?

Thorgal

The hudless screenshot key in your new version , does it only work for DS2 or for any other game ?

I am getting perfectly playable frame rates, but the game seems to stutter ever 15-30 seconds or so. Does that mean that the graphics card doesn't have enough RAM to handle this res? Anyone having similar issues?

For whatever reason, this happens in my Dark Souls 1. I thought it was just me, but I was watching my girlfriend play and the same thing happens.

We both have nvidia cards, I have 680 and she's got 660.
It happens for me in Dark Souls 2 too, so I just roll with it. I figure it's a network thing.

edit:

The recommended nvidia inspector adjustments slowed my game down a bit, so I'm just using Durante's SweetFX settings. Should I bother with GeDoSaTo? Is it more or less taxing than some of the recommended inspector adjustments?

lmbotiva

do i need to change the resolution to 1080p before quitting and to 4k every time i boot up the game? seems if i leave 4k on the game will start windowed next time

Dr Dogg

On the subject of Enslaved and the UI you could go in and manually alter it but that is waaaaaay to much work to do for any sane person.

Here's an 8k shot with the Health & Shield and Trip Icon widgets adjusted to the screen size.
muACPwy.png

If you notice on the bottom right the ammo counters are still tiny so they would have to altered independently. Oh the blue quarter circle is the Trip Radial menu which is tied into the HUD widget scale so it gets it's static values blown up too so that would need scaling back. All in all there's about 500+ values you need to change to get it perfect.

Yeah, and that edge anti-aliasing is hugely beneficial for a lot of UE3 games which have a tendency to have bad shader aliasing, especially on gloss/specular mapped surface edges. There's stuff in my downsampled 8K ME3 shot that would actually look better with just 4xSGSSAA @ 1080p native.

Still, this tool allows me to bump up my resolution far beyond my monitor limitation, which previously couldn't hit 4K. I'm very, very happy :).

Best thing I'm loving about this is not having to go down to the refresh rate ghetto. I can get 4800 x 2700 on my monitor via Dual Link DVI but have to go all the way down to 30hz to get that to display. Thanks to GeDoSaTo I can leave it at 120 and be happy as Larry.

Facism

Gold Member
i'm getting some weird haloing and DOF smearing ghosting using the latest gedosato. Likely something really minor that im missing here? Help appreciated.

Uhmm I did a Unleashed Sonic mod that replaces Generations Sonic model with Unleashed Sonic. Redid most of the animations to fit it and just fits better with the Unleashed Project Mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoVKEUay21o

Whoa nice work, I can imagine it must have been a huge effort to make all the animations work properly :eek: It definitely looks awesome so I'm giving it a try, thanks :)

Thanks for the update, the Steam Overlay fix is really great! :)

One question though, if you say that the DoF is now less demanding, does it still looks the same as in 0.1? Because I absolutely love the look in 0.1 :p

Also I just tested it and unsurprisingly DS II crashes when I use the ENB and GeDoSaTo at the same time. I still haven't tried the Injector version but the Wrapper one doesn't work. I will personally just stick to GeDoSaTo.

EDIT: Damn typos, I shouldn't make posts when I have a bus to catch...

Whoa nice work, I can imagine it must have been a huge effort to make all the animations work properly :eek: It definitely looks awesome so I'm giving it a try, thanks :)

Thanks for the update, the Steam Overlay fix is really great! :)

One question though, if you say that the DoF is now less demanding, does it still looks the same as in 0.1? Because I absolutely love the look in 0.1 :p

Also I just tested it and unsurprisingly DS II crashes when I use the ENB and GeDoSaTo at the same time. I still haven't tried the Injector version but the Wrapper one doesn't work. I will personally just stick to GeDoSaTo.

EDIT: Damn typos, I shouldn't make posts when I have a bus to catch...

You can pick between the old and new DoF, but the newer worse looking version only requires like 20% of the performance.

Dr Dogg

Going to test it out on the original Mass Effect, anyone else given this a go (Saw the ME2 ones)?

Ohhh Yessss! Went up nicely to 11520x6480
at ~20fps
and the UI and dialogue trees are static so don't scale down with the resolution. But had to set that via the configuration tool (if you own it on Steam navigate to the install folder and do it there). Though I think I still had my Inspector settings applied which might account for the hideous performance :p

Ohhh Yessss! Went up nicely to 11520x6480
at ~20fps
and the UI and dialogue trees are static so don't scale down with the resolution. But had to set that via the configuration tool (if you own it on Steam navigate to the install folder and do it there). Though I think I still had my Inspector settings applied which might account for the hideous performance :p

What did you add to the whitelist file to get it to work?

EDIT: Nevermind, got that sorted. Just downloading a texture pack for it now before testing.

I also tried it with XCOM, but I encountered an issue with it. When I changed the resolution, the game would just flicker constantly, so it wasn't working.

Dr Dogg

What did you add to the whitelist file to get it to work?

While I'm testing things out I'm using the blacklist so it doesn't get into the situation of detection issues (DO NOT try and open Chrome or such like while doing this as I found out hahahaha) then either check the process that is running or take a screenshot and note down the folder path and add that to the whitelist of stuff that works.

Once I had a resolution set in ME adding MassEffect to the whitelist picks it up every time.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow @ 11520x6480 > 1920x1080 imgur compression edition said:

Yeeeah there's a certain limit I'm hitting here and the realisation of don't try and go above 7680x4320. This was about the only shot that wasn't affected be heavy artifacting.

lmbotiva

this works excellent on all my favorite games, dishonored, the new DmC, dark souls 2, darksiders 2 and borderlands 2 thank you durante

dead space 3 locks on start up, will reduce rendering res to see if that helps

Just tried this on GTAIV, I thought it didn't work at all... but only the OSD doesn't show at all.

I still can select the new resolution I defined in my .ini (6720x4200) but when applied in-game I've got the whole picture supposedly resized to that res but not downscaled to my viewport (Only the top left part is displayed the rest is... too large to fit on my screen, I don't know if I'm clear enough)

Shame because GTAIV badly needs downsampling [...]
Sorry for quoting myself but is anyone else here is having this issue with GTAIV ?

If so, could I take a look at the source-code Durante ? Only if you don't have time to check it out yourself of course... I don't promise anything but I might get lucky and solve the issue locally. I don't care if the source is messy just pm it to me I'll see what I can do

Thread title should really say something about a new easy to use Super-sampling Tool, passed over the thread a few times thinking it was just another pretty picture screenshot thread of how to super-sample... (just my 2 cents)
the Download Link could also benefit from being a little more prominent

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Sorry for quoting myself but is anyone else here is having this issue with GTAIV ?

If so, could I take a look at the source-code Durante ? Only if you don't have time to check it out yourself of course... I don't promise anything but I might get lucky and solve the issue locally. I don't care if the source is messy just pm it to me I'll see what I can do

Yes GTA4 doesn't scale to the desired resolution, it's in the list.

Durante

The recommended nvidia inspector adjustments slowed my game down a bit, so I'm just using Durante's SweetFX settings. Should I bother with GeDoSaTo? Is it more or less taxing than some of the recommended inspector adjustments?
GeDoSaTo is exactly as taxing as you want it to be - you can toggle each individual effect it supports, and the downsampling scales linearly in performance requirements with the resolution you want to downsample from.

i'm getting some weird haloing and DOF smearing ghosting using the latest gedosato. Likely something really minor that im missing here? Help appreciated.
It depends on what you mean. Are you using the new DoF or the old one? The old one should be exactly the same as before, but the new one is lower quality and does have some issues in specific situations. But it also requires ~5 times less performance.

Top Bottom