• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Thorgal

I think Durante's tag is in need of an update .

My attempt :

I'm taking it FROM here, so says Mr. Stewart
A.K.A The pixel king .
(Today, 10:31 PM)

[Asmodean]

Updated the VSSAO here. If anyone is using any of my previous versions. I would suggest updating to the latest. Been fine-tuning it for Dark Souls 2. Also the distant lod haloing should be completely removed, plus a few other issues that were cropping up with the ao in Dark Souls 2.

For those who are comfortable opening the shader in a text editor to edit the settings, I've also included a few extra options, including a choice of 3 sampling types. 1 is highest quality, 2 is a higher performance version of 1, and 3 is a more lightweight sampling method similar to NV's one.

Durante

You should have a look at the SSAO shader I included in v0.2. The game provides a flag whether or not some pixel is the skybox in the fourth component of the z buffer texture, and I use that as an early exit in the AO. This prevents both artifacts in the sky box and actually speeds up the process if it covers a decent portion of the screen -- it makes no sense not to use it.

Buzzman

Banned
Hmm, sorry if I'm being dumb here or if it's bugged, but I'm not sure how to get it working in MGR:Reveangance. I couldn't seem to get the chosen resolution to show up in the options so I used override instead. but then the image just gets bigger and doesn't fit properly instead.

C0cDvga.jpg

[Asmodean]

You should have a look at the SSAO shader I included in v0.2. The game provides a flag whether or not some pixel is the skybox in the fourth component of the z buffer texture, and I use that as an early exit in the AO. This prevents both artifacts in the sky box and actually speeds up the process if it covers a decent portion of the screen -- it makes no sense not to use it.

Yeah, I had spotted that already, It's included that update above :) thanks.

Durante

Hmm, sorry if I'm being dumb here or if it's bugged, but I'm not sure how to get it working in MGR:Reveangance. I couldn't seem to get the chosen resolution to show up in the options so I used override instead. but then the image just gets bigger and doesn't fit properly instead.

C0cDvga.jpg
GeDoSaTo only works for games which support arbitrary resolutions -- sadly MGR doesn't.

[Asmodean];109624588 said:
Yeah, I had spotted that already, It's included that update above :) thanks.
Oh, great. Do you mind if I include your shader in the next update?

[Asmodean]

Oh, great. Do you mind if I include your shader in the next update?

Sure thing, of course. I would actually prefer it, as that old one I did for Dark Souls one is so messy, useless samplers from me experimenting etc lol.

Also, If you're interested - in the same skydrive folder as the VSSAO. I also have an alternate post.fx file with various effects such as hq blended bloom, color, gamma correction, tone mapping, bicubic sharpening, & contrast, vibrance adjustment etc. They would typically be much higher quality than the sweetfx stuff currently used. Feel free to use if you want.

Hey last question, so I manage to get it working, I can hit + and it appears but it doesnt say down sampling from X-->Y even through the resolution option lets me change it. Instead it tells me "no downsampling" So any ideas?

Corpekata

Banned
Hey last question, so I manage to get it working, I can hit + and it appears but it doesnt say down sampling from X-->Y even through the resolution option lets me change it. Instead it tells me "no downsampling" So any ideas?

In the Ini, if you haven't, you need to do two things:

1. )Set the downsampling rez under # The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at. Make sure it does not have the # symbol in front of the rez.

2. ) Set the rez of your monitor under # The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
Again no #s before the correct ones.

Then set the resolution in game to the resolution you left unstarred in number 1. I had set the game to a different resolution on accident and got that message as well.

In the Ini, if you haven't, you need to do two things:

1. )Set the downsampling rez under # The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at. Make sure it does not have the # symbol in front of the rez.

2. ) Set the rez of your monitor under # The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
Again no #s before the correct ones.

Then set the resolution in game to the resolution you left unstarred in number 1. I had set the game to a different resolution on accident and got that message as well.

Something like this right? Its still not stating its downsampling.
# Graphics settings

# The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at.
#renderWidth 5120
#renderHeight 2880
renderWidth 4096
renderHeight 2160
#renderWidth 3200
#renderHeight 1800
reportedHz 120

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
presentWidth 2560
presentHeight 1440
#presentWidth 1920
#presentHeight 1080
presentHz 120

HRose

Banned
I have the same problem. Still couldn't make this work.

I can select the new resolution from within the game, but nothing changes at all and the "+" reports no downsampling is being made.

It just does nothing. It ignores the resolution showed in the game config.

The ini file looks alright.

Dizzy-4U

Something like this right? Its still not stating its downsampling.
I had the same issue. Did you deactivated GeDoSaTo and activated again after the changes? That made it work for me.

Also, running the app as Administrator made the game not hung up for 30 seconds after I pressed start.

So stupid question, If I use this program which I have for my last 3 play sessions, however I don't touch the resolution ingame(to the resolution in the ini) I get all the benefits like better AA and stuff without down sampling...correct?

Because for some reason by leaving everything at default the game looks much better and that is without the resolution bump,however I decided to try the default resolution in the ini by you Durante and boy was it sluggish.

i7 2600K@4.6GHZ
GTX 670 4GB SLI
8GB DDR3@1600MHZ
Windows 7-64 BIT Ultimate

Anyway to enable SLI to get better performance? If someone doesn't mind offering a step by step walk-through on doing that, I would appreciate it.

EDIT: Thank you Durante for making a great looking game even better.

I had the same issue. Did you deactivated GeDoSaTo and activated again after the changes? That made it work for me.

Also, running the app as Administrator made the game not hung up for 30 seconds after I pressed start.

yeah, I just restarted GeDoSaTo running as admin and loaded up the game. The game resolution says its 4096 × 2160 but when I hit +, doesnt says its downsampling. I can changes the AA and other settings tho.

Kariodude

Banned
Works flawlessly for me. Only time I've had a problem is when I set the textures to dump and be marked with their hash the game wouldn't even load. Turned that off and everything has been fine. Buttery smooth.

HRose

Banned
yeah, I just restarted GeDoSaTo running as admin and loaded up the game. The game resolution says its 4096 × 2160 but when I hit +, doesnt says its downsampling. I can changes the AA and other settings tho.

Exactly the same for me.

Even if you start the game at 1280 in a window, when I select the downscaled resolution and put it in full screen IT STILL DOES NOTHING.

It means that the game reports it's now at full resolution and fullscreen, even if what I see is still 1280 in a window. The setting is simply ignored and the tool reports downsampling is not active.

Is your monitor 2560x1440? And in game set to 4096X2160? And is this Dark Souls 2 you're playing?

I copied and pasted from someone earlier, well a bad retype haha. I see what you are saying, I changed it correctly? and I just launched the dark souls 2, and the game just crashed. Yeah I can get dark souls 2 to be 4096x2160 through the ingame menu.

Exactly the same for me.

Even if you start the game at 1280 in a window, when I select the downscaled resolution and put it in full screen IT STILL DOES NOTHING.

It means that the game reports it's now at full resolution and fullscreen, even if what I see is still 1280 in a window. The setting is simply ignored and the tool reports downsampling is not active.
Glad its not only me :p well it is an alpha and WIP so noting works flawlessly. I can wait for future updates from the PC port god, Thanks Durante !

HRose

Banned
I am just running the thing with no background program at all, removed SweetFX.

Now it's just Steam and the game. It still doesn't work. When I launch the game it goes 1280 in a window. If I select my screen resolution and fullscreen, it does that. But whenever I select the supersampling resolution it does nothing, shows menu accepting the changes, say yes, but the tool still reports that nothing is being resized and the image sits at whatever it was before you selected the new resolution.

Since I have Durante's videocard (a GTX770) and the latest non-beta drivers, I guess it can only be some incompatible setting in the Nvidia panel. I have no idea.

Corpekata

Banned
I copied and pasted from someone earlier, well a bad retype haha. I see what you are saying, I changed it correctly? and I just launched the dark souls 2, and the game just crashed. Yeah I can get dark souls 2 to be 4096x2160 through the ingame menu.

Glad its not only me :p well it is an alpha and WIP so noting works flawlessly. I can wait for future updates from the PC port god, Thanks Durante !

Well, I'm just trying to clarify, what resolution is your monitor? Is it 1080 or 1440?

oxidax

Welp Alpha2 is def not working for me. None of the games that worked with Alpha1 seem to work with A2 and i just recovered my PC from a major crash. I guess im sticking with A1 :D

EDIT: Aw crap Durante deleted 01 :(
If anybody still has it, could you please upload it for me?

Corpekata

Banned
Its 1080, this should be correct, right?
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

Yeah, so your ini file is:

# Graphics settings

#renderWidth 5120
#renderHeight 2880
renderWidth 4096
renderHeight 2160
#renderWidth 3200
#renderHeight 1800
reportedHz 120

# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
#presentWidth 2560
#presentHeight 1440
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 120

now correct? In game you've said it was set already. When activating the program it gives no errors, just says activated under the install path right?

Anyone have a link to Alpha1? There is something off about alpha2 the game is blurrier and depth of field is way overdone.

Which setting is enabled in alpha2 that was not in alpha1?

I'm looking everywhere in Manjula. I don't see any flicker.

Must be just my PC, as soon as you spawn at the bonfire, turn around and look towards the hut where the guy sells Armour, then look above towards the mountain and Tower, the mountain is flickering.

HRose

Banned
this would be my log, if needed:

===== Sun Apr 27 02:41:34 2014 =====
===== start GeDoSaTo 0.1 = fn: DarkSoulsII
===== installation directory: E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dark Souls II\Game\
= Settings read:
- renderWidth : 1920
- renderHeight : 1200
- reportedHz : 75
- presentWidth : 1440
- presentHeight : 900
- presentHz : 75
- presentInterval : -1
- overrideWidth : 0
- overrideHeight : 0
- scalingType : bilinear
- emulateFlipBehaviour : false
- enableTextureDumping : false
- enableTextureOverride : true
- enableTextureMarking : false
- modifyGetCursorPos : false
- modifySetCursorPos : false
- interceptWindowProc : false
- adjustMessagePt : false
- logLevel : 1
- aaQuality : 0
- ssaoStrength : 0
- ssaoScale : 1
- enableDoF : false
- dofBaseRadius : 1.000000
- dofType : basic
- enablePostprocessing : false
=============
= Loaded Keybindings:
- 00000061 => toggleAA
- 00000062 => toggleDOF
- 00000063 => toggleAO
- 00000064 => togglePost
- 00000065 => setBilinearScaling
- 00000066 => setBicubicScaling
- 0000006A => takeScreenshot
- 0000006B => showStatus
- 0000006F => takeHUDlessScreenshot
=============
-> ERROR 7 creating hook for Direct3DCreate9Ex, target: 5BE520B8, dll: 65BA0000
DetouredDirectInput8Create!
=== DetrouredDirect3DCreate9 V:32
=== Direct3DCreate9 hooking 0D82C1F0
=== Direct3DCreate9 returning
GetDeviceCaps ------
=== DetrouredDirect3DCreate9 V:32
=== Direct3DCreate9 hooking 0D82C308
=== Direct3DCreate9 returning
GetDeviceCaps ------
GetAdapterDisplayMode ------
CreateDevice ------ Adapter 0 Thread 1864
- redirectCreateDevice requested mode:
- - Backbuffer(s): 1280 x 720 D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 *2
- - PresentationInterval: 2147483648 Windowed: true Refresh: 0 Hz SwapEffect: D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD
RenderstateManager resource initialization started
Initializing Console on device 0D8F6200
- done
RenderstateManager resource initialization completed
Injecting downsampling mode!
Action triggered: showStatus
Device 0D8F6200 release on thread 1864
-> 46
ERROR removing hook forDirect3DCreate9Ex
===== end =

Yeah, so your ini file is:

# Graphics settings

#renderWidth 5120
#renderHeight 2880
renderWidth 4096
renderHeight 2160
#renderWidth 3200
#renderHeight 1800
reportedHz 120

#presentWidth 2560
#presentHeight 1440
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 120

now correct? In game you've said it was set already. When activating the program it gives no errors, just says activated under the install path right?

yeah, I am running both GeDoSaTo and Dark Souls2 in admin mode, I am able to launch the game, it starts up in windows mode and I have to set it to 1920x1080 full screen. After I set it to 1920x1080 fullscreen, I can switch it to 4096x2160 through the ingame options. When I hit +, it doesnt say "downsampling" instead I get not downsampling.

Has anyone using a controller (DS3 in my case) noticed any lag when using GeDoSaTo? What would be the cause of that if it is occurring? I might just be worrying too much if everything is working fine.

Some problem here, i'm getting crazy trying to make it work.

Here's the pastebin of my config:

Config

Facism

Gold Member
Dark Souls has this lovely warmth to it with this tool. Just finished by trek through The Gutter and it felt very cosy.

HRose

Banned
By the way, someone knows how to tweak a bit the white levels so they they are slightly less bright? I mean through sweetFX or something.

But I just don't know which value I'd have to tweak since I don't want to touch blacks or other colors (or overall brightness), just making the whites slightly less bright.

I got downsampling to work with no issues.

How do I toggle on and off the other settings like SMAA or SSAO? I have values in the .ini, but the overlay that displays when the games starts doesn't show anything besides the downsample.

Arulan

I've seen a few posts comment on the artifacts produced via SGSSAA yet the "Antialiasing fix" hasn't been mentioned. You enable the bit through Nvidia Inspector under Compatibility. It was originally designed for TF2 but works extremely well in eliminating artifacts when using SGSSAA. I haven't tested it extensively but it seems to work fine.

Dizzy-4U

Must be just my PC, as soon as you spawn at the bonfire, turn around and look towards the hut where the guy sells Armour, then look above towards the mountain and Tower, the mountain is flickering.
Oh, I see what you mean. I was able to get the flickering.

The thing is, if you start the game and you're already on Manjula, you get the flickering. If you teleport from somewhere else to Manjula, the mountains look fine. That's why I didn't see it before, I was in another zone and teleported back.

Try teleporting to Manjula.

Hey Durante, are there any plans to add downsampling for windowed mode? Is that even possible? I can't remember if this was something that could be done in good ol' DSFix.

Currently Dark Souls 2 lets me select my injected resolution (2560x1440) from the list while running windowed mode, but then it doesn't seem to change from 1920x1080 and GeDoSaTo tells me I'm not downsampling.

Any chance you can get OBS game capture to work with this? Since they both hook on to the game I assume something is conflicting causing a crash. It seems to do it for all games, not just DS2. I remember OBS game capture working fine with DSFix so I dunno.

Oh, I see what you mean. I was able to get the flickering.

The thing is, if you start the game and you're already on Manjula, you get the flickering. If you teleport from somewhere else to Manjula, the mountains look fine. That's why I didn't see it before, I was in another zone and teleported back.

Try teleporting to Manjula.

Yeah I just tried, it fixed the problem, phew now playing at 4K with 60FPS is glorious,I must say this game looks great,I did reduce the Bokeh Depth of Field radius from 1.00 to 0.7 and now it looks good without being too blurry for my taste.

Thanks again Durante and Dizzy for the SLI tip, back to playing this wonderful game I go.

Is there a way to use GeDoSaTo TEXTURE OVERRIDE Only? Im trying to get ENB and this to work together and I only want the texture over ride but it still crashes no matter what on boot.

Anteater

Does anyone else experience stutters when downsampling using GeDoSaTo? I'm constantly stuttering and my VRam usage is less than half. I'm running on a ASUS 280X...

I get weird stutter for half a second every now and then like the ones you usually get when an area is loading but it's not, but I get it without GeDoSaTo, it's kind of annoying.

akira28

I get weird stutter for half a second every now and then like the ones you usually get when an area is loading but it's not, but I get it without GeDoSaTo, it's kind of annoying.

I originally had it set to go down to 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200 and it would do this weird stutter thing every other second and the screen would get dark and the FPS would dip, and then the screen would lighten back and FPS would return to normal. Wasn't until I corrected it that it stayed fluid. Maybe double check and make sure your values are correct.

Durante

It's strange to me how many people are completely ignoring the option to configure anything. That's the major advantage of the tool! I guess I have to put more effort into the default settings then :/

So stupid question, If I use this program which I have for my last 3 play sessions, however I don't touch the resolution ingame(to the resolution in the ini) I get all the benefits like better AA and stuff without down sampling...correct?
Yes.

Is there a way to use GeDoSaTo TEXTURE OVERRIDE Only?
Sure, just disable everything except the texture override. It still won't work with ENB though. OTOH, I don't know of anything you'd want to do to the game with ENB that you can't with GeDoSaTo. With the right configuration I also support totally blown out colors and silly levels of DoF :p

It's strange to me how many people are completely ignoring the option to configure anything. That's the major advantage of the tool! I guess I have to put more effort into the default settings then :/

Yes.

Sure, just disable everything except the texture override. It still won't work with ENB though. OTOH, I don't know of anything you'd want to do to the game with ENB that you can't with GeDoSaTo. With the right configuration I also support totally blown out colors and silly levels of DoF :p

Hmm, I probably could go around and configure the GeDoSaTo but i don't really know how to get it to look the way I want so thats why I just used a preset ENB. Great work on GeDoSaTo though the SSAO in that is so well implemented IMO.

Psy

Neo Member
Amazing work Durante!

For Dark Souls 2 I'm downsampling from 7680x4320 to 3840x2160 which is the native resolution for my Dell UP3214Q. Luckily I found an SLI bit that works.

1. Is there really any benefit to enabling GeDoSaTo SMAA at this point?

2. Are there any issues enabling GeDoSaTo SSAO when downsampling?

3. What settings in DS2 should I disable/enable based on the following GeDoSaTo settings?

Code:
renderWidth 7680
renderHeight 4320
reportedHz 60

presentWidth 3840
presentHeight 2160
presentHz 60

# How many vertical traces to wait when presenting
# -1 = unchanged
# 0 = no vsync
# 1 = standard vsync
# 2 = half refresh rate (e.g. 30 on 60 Hz)
# 3 = 1/3rd refresh rate, etc.
presentInterval -1

# The type of scaling you want to use.
# bilinear: what GPUs generally do, cheap performance-wise
# bicubic: higher quality, more expensive performance-wise
scalingType bilinear

# Emulate exact flipping behaviour
# requires some extra performance/memory,
# but may be important for some games to work
emulateFlipBehaviour false

# For games which use strange methods to query resolutions,
# injecting a new one might not work. In such cases, you can try replacing an
# existing resolution. E.g. "overrideWidth 800", "overrideHeight 600" to replace 800x600
# 0 = override disabled
overrideWidth 0
overrideHeight 0

########################################################################################
# Dark Souls 2 settings

## AA

# SMAA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low 
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 0

## SSAO

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 2

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
ssaoScale 1

## DOF

# Enable Depth of Field
# false = off