• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

[Asmodean]

Durante: hey, I'd imagine your fairly busy, but I just wanted to ask if you had any plans on maybe introducing some kind of a hud scaling feature for the Dark Souls 2 version of GeDoSaTo, at some stage?

That giant-ass osd drives me mad lol.

[Asmodean];109589686 said:
Durante: hey, I'd imagine your fairly busy, but I just wanted to ask if you had any plans on maybe introducing some kind of a hud scaling feature for the Dark Souls 2 version of GeDoSaTo, at some stage?

That giant-ass osd drives me mad lol.

That's a feature I would be intersted in as well. The auto hide HUD is ok, but it's kind of annoying constantly going in and out.

Great work on the tool.

But is anybody else having problems with launching steam in big picture mode when GeDoSaTo is enabled? I am getting the steam-intro-vid, then it freezes, maybe relates to the overlay issue?

Enabling it after BPM is launched works.

Yes I can't launch Steam BPM when the tool is running, have to deactivate, launch, activate. Hopefully this problem can get sorted. Alpha 0.2 didn't fix it.

Facism

Gold Member
GeDoSaTo is exactly as taxing as you want it to be - you can toggle each individual effect it supports, and the downsampling scales linearly in performance requirements with the resolution you want to downsample from.

It depends on what you mean. Are you using the new DoF or the old one? The old one should be exactly the same as before, but the new one is lower quality and does have some issues in specific situations. But it also requires ~5 times less performance.

I just downloaded your tool at it's latest version, nothing else :eek:

Hey guys, maybe I'm crazy. I go to activate the program, but no games I have will show me a higher resolution than 1080p. Am I missing something?

Anteater

can i use sweetfx with GeDoSaTo? I only wanted to use the ssao and dof so I turned the other postprocessing things off, but it crashes at launch, I can launch it fine if I removed the sweetfx d3d9.dll tho

Y35UCuZ.jpg

Durante

Yeah, I know about the fog (and other post effects) issue with AO, I have known that it would happen since I implemented it - and also how to fix it.

It will be fixed in 0.3 unless I run into some unforeseen difficulty.

[Asmodean];109594849 said:
This can't be avoided by normal means. Other than some work around, or maybe if you could render the occlusion before the fog. It's the in-game fog that's causing it. It will also happen if you force the nvidia driver ao.
I will avoid it by rendering the AO directly to the shadow buffer of the game, and letting the game apply it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, ambient occlusions rendering through fog and transparency layers seems to be a common problem when forced by driver tweaks over using in-engine optimisation. Like Asmodean said, same thing happens when forcing ambient occlusions via Nvidia drivers. For example, you can see them through smoke explosions in Mass Effect 3, and you can see them on the floor of a cloudy body of water while you're swimming.

If there's a workaround I don't know it. I wish there was on Nvidia's end, as there's a few games I'd like to force HBAO+ in but chose not to due to the conflict with transparency layers.

Durante

Yeah, ambient occlusions rendering through fog and transparency layers seems to be a common problem when forced by driver tweaks over using in-engine optimisation. Like Asmodean said, same thing happens when forcing ambient occlusions via Nvidia drivers. For example, you can see them through smoke explosions in Mass Effect 3, and you can see them on the floor of a cloudy body of water while you're swimming.

If there's a workaround I don't know it. I wish there was on Nvidia's end, as there's a few games I'd like to force HBAO+ in but chose not to due to the conflict with transparency layers.
You can fix it, but it requires a very game-specific implementation for each game. I'll do it for DS2 as I outlined above, but that will only work for DS2.

That's why GeDoSaTo in its final form needs a plugin system ;)

Possibly a dumb question but I really don't know anything about this stuff.

Remaining known issues:

[GeDoSaToTool] The tool complains that it cannot access the registry.
Cause: Might be an access rights/permission issue. Try running as administrator.

Would there be any issues if there was no Durante folder in the registry? Everything seems to work fine besides the alt-tabbing, but I don't see that folder. Never received an error about accessing the registry either.

edit - found it, it was in Software\Wow6432Node

Durante

Possibly a dumb question but I really don't know anything about this stuff.

Would there be any issues if there was no Durante folder in the registry? Everything seems to work fine besides the alt-tabbing, but I don't see that folder. Never received an error about accessing the registry either.
If it works, it works. Don't worry about it ;)

how to add AA to another games? there's only the option for dark souls 2, im a noob so be gentle please
That's not supported yet, sorry. This is early times still. At some point, hopefully, the Dark SOuls 2 stuff will be externalized in a plugin, and there could be others for other games - and a generic one to just apply postprocessing/AA in any game.

lmbotiva

If it works, it works. Don't worry about it ;)

That's not supported yet, sorry. This is early times still. At some point, hopefully, the Dark SOuls 2 stuff will be externalized in a plugin, and there could be others for other games - and a generic one to just apply postprocessing/AA in any game.
no need to be sorry, you've done a lot and im grateful for your work, thanks for the quick reply

Welp, figured out why it was crashing on launch. If you're not downsampling just hash out the other rendering resolutions and don't put your display resolution in there like I did for some reason >.>

Testing out the HUD-less screenshot function:
screenshot_2014_04_27_03_23_15_by_realghostvids-d7g2736.jpg

This is looking to be an awesome program, Durante. Thanks for your hard work!

doomquake

I was under the impression that
# How many vertical traces to wait when presenting
# -1 = unchanged
# 0 = no vsync
# 1 = standard vsync
# 2 = half refresh rate (e.g. 30 on 60 Hz)
# 3 = 1/3rd refresh rate, etc.
presentInterval 3
would force 1/3rd of the frame rate. Could you explain what this setting does? My 780 ti sounds like a tesla coil when playing at 60fps at 3200x2400 (yeah im on a workstation with a 4:3 monitor..)

doomquake

ok great! guess even 20fps causes tesla coil noise. BTW do you know if that gpu noise is killer or can it be ignored? i doubt ill have this pc for 200 years anyway

GutsCrush3R

Neo Member
Thanks a lot Durante for the tool.

I got a big problem though with the tool in a specific game so far.

I tried Lego marvel Super Heroes in 8K, which is compatible by the way. But now I'm completely stuck. 8K is unplayable because it seems 2GB of Vram isn't enough and I can't go back to any other resolution!
Now, if I launch the game without the tool the game crash at launch because of the unsupported resolution. If I use it, the game launch fine but whenever I try to change the resolution to something else the game crash instantly. :/

And I don't find any specific file containing the setting I could just delete. But even if I did, Steam uses the cloud for saves, so if I delete even the whole game from my computer and download it again, the resolution would still be directly in 8K.

I'm afraid now that that could be something happening with others games without launchers.

Hurley

Sorry to inject the thread with my noob question, but # The resolution you want to downsample *to*, that should be my monitors native res?

Wurstsemmel

Neo Member
Did a quick test and it seems to work with might&magic x: legacy after some flickering when starting (the AA methods it offers look all horrible imho), Age of Wonders 3 crashes on startup.
So promising, thx for the great work.

Durante

Did a quick test and it seems to work with might&magic x: legacy (the AA methods it offers look all horrible imho), Age of Wonders 3 crashes on startup.
So promising, thx for the great work.
M&MX absolutely does work, yes. I used it throughout most of my playthrough of the game.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Gave it a shot with Diablo III (2160>1080) - no luck, couldn't click confirm on the resolution change dialog afterward.

Grief.exe

Going to experiment with some interesting resolutions since my system is getting on in years.

• 2304*1296 = 2.99*10^6 pixels (30% more pixels than 1080p)
  • 2560*1440 = 3.69*10^6 pixels (44% more pixels than 1080p)
  • 1920*1080 = 2.07*10^6 pixels

For 16:9 resolutions you divide your width by 1.777778 to get your height, then round up. I generally look for something that has very little rounding.

2304/1.777778 = 1295.999838

Going to experiment with some interesting resolutions since my system is getting on in years.

• 2304*1296 = 2.99*10^6 pixels (30% more pixels than 1080p)
  • 2560*1440 = 3.69*10^6 pixels (44% more pixels than 1080p)
  • 1920*1080 = 2.07*10^6 pixels

For 16:9 resolutions you divide your width by 1.777778 to get your height, then round up. I generally look for something that has very little rounding.

2304/1.777778 = 1295.999838

Alternatively if you want a calculator for 16:9 resolutions you can go here

Run GeDoSaTo and the game as admn + add the name of the application to the whitelist text.

Thanks, I manage to get it working. I did notice whenever I restart Dark Souls, it would run in windows mode. When I try to switch the resolution to 4096 × 2160, the game crashes but I have to switch it to 1920 x 1080 first then switch over to 4096 x 2160 in order to work. Is this a known issue?

sixghost

I wasn't having any issues until I downloaded the 0.2 version, now it crashes when I adjust the resolution option in game.

Any ideas what's happening?

Dr Dogg

Just out of curiosity Durante are you going to be doing any more work on the screenshot feature in a future update? Working with 200mb+ bitmap files is killing my poor old laptop :(

That and at higher resolutions it's a lottery for me if it saves the screenshot. 1 in 100 times roughly. Granted I'm sure there are more import things to worry about first :p

irishcow

Is there any way to tell if this is actually working while in game? Are we supposed to be choosing a higher res in game or keeping it at 1080p?

Grief.exe

Is there any way to tell if this is actually working while in game? Are we supposed to be choosing a higher res in game or keeping it at 1080p?

Select the higher resolution from the options menu.

Use the numpad to toggle various graphical features (DOF, AO, AA) to see them working.

Thorgal

When you are ingame , if you did everything right you can select the res you put in the ini file is your game settings .

Amessage will appear on the top of your screen .confirming that it is working .

koryuken

Does anyone else experience stutters when downsampling using GeDoSaTo? I'm constantly stuttering and my VRam usage is less than half. I'm running on a ASUS 280X...

Durante

The best way to check if everything is working is to press the report key (by default it's bound to the numpad "+").

Top Bottom