• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

You mean for Divinity? If so, good, I was getting worried with all the negative reports.

Edit: for the people for whom the alternative injection isn't working: please check the value "LoadAppInit_DLLs" in the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows".

Changing to 1 works! No mouse issues for me either.

Edit: Take that back, my mouse is a bit wonky. Can pan screen up and left, but not down or right.

How much of a difference does Lanzros make in terms of quality? Have a 780ti so realistically I could handle the performance loss depending on the resolution setting right? These are all new things to me! Thanks for the work as always.

Changing to 1 works! No mouse issues for me either.

Edit: Take that back, my mouse is a bit wonky. Can pan screen up and left, but not down or right.

Didn't notice because I use the arrow keys but the same is true for me.

Edit 2: Changed the resolution to see if I could hit 60 and now the mouse doesn't work at all. Only move up and down. Mouse cursor moves around like you'd expecting but clicking on anything does nothing.

Durante

Just have a look (default keybindings are "5", "6" and "9" on the numpad for different scaling methods) -- then you can decide if you think it's worth it.

Scrolling issue makes sense, that one could be a bit tricky to fix. Just use one of the many alternatives for now :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Experimenting with this again. I've added a GTX780 to the mix and am kind of disappointed that downscaling from high resolutions is still too slow to be useful.

Are people really getting decent frame-rates here or is this just for screenshots? I mean, 6720x4200? Really? Just 2160p is enough to ruin the frame-rate in most games I've tried.

At least I can play Dark Souls 2 at 1440p with the high quality bokeh enabled while holding 60 fps. The game ended up looking rather beautiful on the PC despite some weird artistic choices.

Levyne

Banned
People going to 4k or above I think either have really really powerful rigs, or are capping at 30fps, or are just using that for screen shots. The only game so far that I can reliable run at 60fps at 4k is Dark Souls 2. I'm finding 2560x1600 seems to be a good level for Divinity to maintain 60ish fps on a single 780 with most all the other bells and whistles up.

dark10x

People going to 4k or above I think either have really really powerful rigs, or are capping at 30fps, or are just using that for screen shots. The only game so far that I can reliable run at 60fps at 4k is Dark Souls 2. I'm finding 2560x1600 seems to be a good level for Divinity to maintain 60ish fps on a single 780 with most all the other bells and whistles up.
Yeah, capping at 30 fps definitely helps. At least it makes it easier to enjoy downsampling from 1440p when using my plasma. I do like that.

It's a fantastic tool and a lot easier to use than the driver method.

Durante

Experimenting with this again. I've added a GTX780 to the mix and am kind of disappointed that downscaling from high resolutions is still too slow to be useful.
It totally depends on the game. For example, I'm playing Blackguards right now, and on my lowly 770 I can put it at 4k with lanczos downsampling and hit 30 fps (which is totally fine since the game is turn-based).

And of course I can downsample Ys Origin from 6k with 100+ FPS :p

Did I ever tell you that your complaints about the downsampled screenshots in the screenshot thread not looking like what people are actually playing were one reason I started working on GeDoSaTo? Now, with Lanczos support, we're pretty much there.

I love that the new update allows all the file editing from the one main interface, btw. Super handy.
Thanks! Writing GUIs is very boring, but I realized that it's the only way to get most people to even have a look at the settings.

dark10x

It totally depends on the game. For example, I'm playing Blackguards right now, and on my lowly 770 I can put it at 4k with lanczos downsampling and hit 30 fps (which is totally fine since the game is turn-based).

And of course I can downsample Ys Origin from 6k with 100+ FPS :p
Yeah, of course. I was jumping too quickly to all of the more demanding/impressive games.

You're right, lower end games do downscale nicely. :)

Only game that I've tried that didn't work at all has been Metal Gear Rising. That would probably downscale pretty well as it's not a demanding game. It could really use it.

Did I ever tell you that your complaints about the downsampled screenshots in the screenshot thread not looking like what people are actually playing were one reason I started working on GeDoSaTo? Now, with Lanczos support, we're pretty much there.
Well that's pretty damn awesome.

Seriously, none of my nitpicks are directed at your awesome work on this. It's really great stuff and so much better than the old methods of downsampling.

Oh, and it works brilliantly with the capture card I'm using so I can capture perfect footage/screenshots to the second PC at whatever resolution I want. Super awesome.

Durante

Only game that I've tried that didn't work at all has been Metal Gear Rising. That would probably downscale pretty well as it's not a demanding game. It could really use it.
MGR simply doesn't support resolutions beyond 1080p, period. It would need a (DSfix-like) plugin. I did a proof of concept when it was released, but thought they might still patch it so I didn't pursue it further.

Seriously, none of my nitpicks are directed at your awesome work on this. It's really great stuff and so much better than the old methods of downsampling.
Well, your nitpicks were right after all -- driver downsampling doesn't quite look like photoshop downsampling, otherwise people wouldn't do the latter. And that got me thinking that with modern GPUs there's really no reason not to have the latter in realtime.

dark10x

Well, your nitpicks were right after all -- driver downsampling doesn't quite look like photoshop downsampling, otherwise people wouldn't do the latter. And that got me thinking that with modern GPUs there's really no reason not to have the latter in realtime.
I should note that your monitor recommendation actually helped me find an LCD that I can stand using. I didn't get that Eizo (too small), but I ended up with that 32" 1440p BenQ AMVA monitor. While not as dark as my plasma it's still worlds beyond any IPS or TN display I've used. It's certainly made playing from my desk enjoyable again.

robgrab

Just tested it with a bunch of games using the new lanczos filtering method and was AMAZED at how good it looked! My faced was practically pressed against the screen the entire time because I couldn't believe how clear everything looked. Performance didn't seem that different from bicubic either. This latest releaase also seems to have fixed the freeze frame issue I was having with Borderlands 2 during checkpoints. Still couldn't get Dragon Age Origins or the Witcher 2 working but the following games worked perfectly:

Batman Arkham Asylum and City
Bioshock
Borderlands 2
Brothers
Darksiders 1 and 2
Dead Space 1,2, and 3
Dishonored
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
Resident Evil 6
Rayman Origins and Legends
Syndicate
Tomb Raider Underworld

I was so impressed with this release that I just donated. Keep up the excellent work!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just tested it with a bunch of games using the new lanczos filtering method and was AMAZED at how good it looked! My faced was practically pressed against the screen the entire time because I couldn't believe how clear everything looked. Performance didn't seem that different from bicubic either. This latest releaase also seems to have fixed the freeze frame issue I was having with Borderlands 2 during checkpoints. Still couldn't get Dragon Age Origins or the Witcher 2 working but the following games worked perfectly:

Batman Arkham Asylum and City
Bioshock
Borderlands 2
Brothers
Darksiders 1 and 2
Dead Space 1,2, and 3
Dishonored
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
Resident Evil 6
Rayman Origins and Legends
Syndicate
Tomb Raider Underworld

I was so impressed with this release that I just donated. Keep up the excellent work!

For the Witcher, did you try using the alternative injection method?

If so, did you also try this fix for Divinity that Durante mentioned earlier?

Edit: for the people for whom the alternative injection isn't working: please check the value "LoadAppInit_DLLs" in the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows".

If the numbpad commands aren't working does that mean it isn't running? Tried Alan Wake and I'm not entirely sure whether GeDoSaTo is working or if its just my driver downsampling options at work.

Durante

If the numbpad commands aren't working does that mean it isn't running? Tried Alan Wake and I'm not entirely sure whether GeDoSaTo is working or if its just my driver downsampling options at work.

If you press "+" on the numpad GeDoSaTo should do a status report. If it's not, it's probably not working.

If you press "+" on the numpad GeDoSaTo should do a status report. If it's not, it's probably not working.

Should I try getting disabling my custom resolutions? Have only used it with Dark Souls II before today, and can't get it work with Alan Wake or Divinity II. Original Sin is working now though!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Should I try getting disabling my custom resolutions? Have only used it with Dark Souls II before today, and can't get it work with Alan Wake or Divinity II. Original Sin is working now though!

Are you using the blacklist or whitelist? Blacklist will probably be a better choice.

Durante

Are you using the blacklist or whitelist? Blacklist will probably be a better choice.
Blacklist is almost never a good choice, the good choice is to add your executable names to the whitelist :p

Alan Wake does crash when trying to downsample, which is rather unique at this point. I'll have a look at that when I have time.

Levyne

Banned
I don't get the blacklist vs whitelist? I'm just added .exes (like only 1 so far) to whichever one had Dark Souls 2 and the other freebies in it to start

The Witcher 2 works fine except for the blur effects out of focus, for example when walking the blur seems to appear in front of Geralt, and the fps are bad but that's just my GPU :p

Nice work Durante.

3840x2160->1600x900

izdPFQe6M3i4l.png

Trying to use borderless windowed mode with Lost Planet 3 gives me this message:

"Your video card does not support alpha blending with floating point render targets (D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F), which is required to run this game. Exiting..."

The game seems to work fine if I turn off borderless though. One question, why does it say that it's using the generic plugin for any game that isn't Dark Souls 2? I've made separate folders for each game I've tried, so shouldn't it have the game title there instead?

Edit: Lost Planet 3 downsampled from 4K with post processing
screenshot_2014_06_30_08_53_59_by_realghostvids-d7oiqfw.jpg

Edit 2: One more question! Does the alternative injection method potentially increase compatibility for borderless or is it just for downsampling and post processing?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Witcher 2 works fine except for the blur effects out of focus, for example when walking the blur seems to appear in front of Geralt, and the fps are bad but that's just my GPU :p

Nice work Durante.

3840x2160->1600x900

This is definitely not rendering right.

Parsnip

May have found a bug. It looks like normal screenshot (takeScreenshot) takes a shot of the target resolution (as intended I think), but it scales it back up to whatever the render resolution is. Can anyone check?
As in, in my case taking a full screenshot and normal screenshot both come out as 4K, but the normal screenshot looks like butt because it's scaled up, and should actually be 1080p.

This is definitely not rendering right.

yeah now i see it, i think this below happened but i can confirm the downsampling is working fine.

May have found a bug. It looks like normal screenshot (takeScreenshot) takes a shot of the target resolution (as intended I think), but it scales it back up to whatever the render resolution is. Can anyone check?
As in, in my case taking a full screenshot and normal screenshot both come out as 4K, but the normal screenshot looks like butt because it's scaled up, and should actually be 1080p.

Parsnip

GeDoSaTo now takes png screenshots instead of bitmaps, woot. Now if only you would plop the game name in the filename and not just the folder name or make it configurable, and we would be golden. :D

Here's some test with 0.8beta.
Blade Kitten works. Use alternate injection method and override one of the existing resolutions, such as 640x480.

Brütal Legend appears to work now as well. Overlay doesn't show up, but screenshots and post-fx definitely work. Taking screenshots and such with the game is kind of a pain because every time I hit the key, the game controls also switch to keyboard. But overriding that kind of behavior is probably a bit out of scope of GeDoSaTo.
This might mean other DoubleFine's Buddha Engine games work as well, which is basically all 3D games they have done after Brutal. Someone should test those.

Erica Reed Thriller, no luck at the moment. Menus work fine and mouse works after modifyGetCursorPos and interceptWindowProc are set to true, but when I load a game it's just black screen and music. Clicking around blindly sounds like she's walking around, so I guess the game is running but something's up with the rendering.

Dark Void works now. Overlay only shows up in the menus for some reason. Also for some reason the resolution shows up twice in the list.

Darksiders. Figured out why it wasn't working for me previously. Don't hide mouse cursor with this game. I was only getting white screen after the titlecard when that is set to true. You still have to set the custom resolution with a hex editor or something. Overriding with GeDo only makes the selected resolution disappear from the list.

Dreamfall. Works now it seems. No overlay on this one either, but it seems downsampling, post-fx and screenshotting works.

King's Bounty games are still busted.

Secret Files 3. I tested some more of this and went past the menu configuration with a normal resolution just so I could see how the actual game rendering works. And it seemingly does. The mouse is still a problem though. Setting modifyGetCursorPos to true allows the mouse to move outside of the "box", but it vanishes when it does. Moving it outside of the box will activate hoverable objects, but they are unclickable.

Crystal Engine Tomb Raider games now exit gracefully. Seems like Legend and Anniversary are still black screen prone when changing resolution in-game, but setting it up in the launcher works great. Antialiasing on those two doesn't work either. GoL and Underworld seem to behave better in both cases. Anniversary still has that weird lighting bug I took video of but the stutter is gone.

Few more shot at 4K in my sta.sh.

edit: Also, I recommend adding Pinnacle Profiler (pinnacle) to the blacklist. Probably pinnacle_updater as well.

How do you get this to work with Rayman Legends and Tomb Raider?? TR doesn't seem to be affected by the tool running and Rayman Legends gives me some error that says failed to create dxdevice 10 times or something.

edit: Nevermind I got Rayman working by disabling forceborderlesswindow in the settings. How did you guys get Tomb Raider to work?? Max Payne 3 too.

Parsnip

How do you get this to work with Rayman Legends and Tomb Raider?? TR doesn't seem to be affected by the tool running and Rayman Legends gives me some error that says failed to create dxdevice 10 times or something.

edit: Nevermind I got Rayman working by disabling forceborderlesswindow in the settings. How did you guys get Tomb Raider to work?? Max Payne 3 too.
Tomb Raider 2013 is Dx11 by default, you need to force Dx9 mode for this to work.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(2013)#Force_DirectX_9_renderer_on_DirectX_11_systems

Durante

One question, why does it say that it's using the generic plugin for any game that isn't Dark Souls 2?
Because Dark Souls 2 is the only game currently for which there is a specific (non-generic) plugin ;).
Custom settings aren't a plugin.

Edit 2: One more question! Does the alternative injection method potentially increase compatibility for borderless or is it just for downsampling and post processing?
Unlikely. It only increases the chance of GeDoSaTo working at all (and may decrease stability, which is why it isn't the default).

That would indeed be a bug. And I could imagine how it got introduced with the screenshot speedup update. I'll investigate.

Darbon

Neo Member
So regarding the issues I've been having with GeDoSaTo's SSAO (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SmYZmGNbb8)
It seems that if I enable downsampling (doesn't matter what res I downsample from, I tested a whole bunch of them), SSAO will work
However as soon as I switch back to my native res (1366 x 768) the black screen/ghost image overlay returns
Unfortunately I can't rely on this solution forever because my GPU isn't great and enabling downsampling + SSAO makes my FPS tank hard
Anyone have any idea why SSAO only works for me if I downsample?

Cerity

Heh, bitdefender picked flagged gedosato.dll as a trojan. Did the same to the grimdawn.exe. Enough reason for me to get rid of the bloody thing I guess, at least it was 6 months free.

Wulfegang

Loving this program so much! I was wondering, for those running this with Divinity: Original Sin, what resolutions/settings are you using and what kind of FPS are you getting. Using the settings listed below I am averaging around 30-35FPS. I am using an i7 4770k OC'd to 4.2 GHz and a GTX 770OC 4GB video card without OC'ing it.

I am running everything maxed out in the game with GeDoSATo using the following settings (removed extra settings that are default or commented out). I apologize for the long wall of code text.
Code:
# Graphics settings

# The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at.
renderWidth 2880
renderHeight 1620
reportedHz 60

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60

# How many vertical traces to wait when presenting
# -1 = unchanged
# 0 = no vsync
# 1 = standard vsync
# 2 = half refresh rate (e.g. 30 on 60 Hz)
# 3 = 1/3rd refresh rate, etc.
presentInterval -1

# The type of scaling you want to use.
# bilinear: what GPUs generally do, cheap performance-wise
# bicubic: higher quality, more expensive performance-wise
# lanczos: higher quality and sharp, most expensive performance-wise
scalingType lanczos

# Image processing settings
# Note: may or may not apply depending on the plugin used

## AA

# AA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low 
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 4

# AA type
# either "smaa" or "fxaa", depending on your preferences
aaType smaa

## SSAO

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect 
# (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 3

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
ssaoScale 1

# Set SSAO Blur type
# gaussian = soft, cheap
# sharp = depth-dependent, more expensive
ssaoBlurType gaussian

## DOF

# Enable Depth of Field
# false = off
# true = on
enableDoF false

# Select the type of DOF effect
# basic = basic pseudo-Bokeh DoF
# bokeh = shaped circular Bokeh DoF - WARNING: high performance impact
dofType bokeh

# Bokeh Depth of Field radius
# default = 1.00
# higher = more blurry (e.g. 1.1)
# lower = less blurry (e.g. 0.9)
# note: small changes make a large difference
dofBaseRadius 1.05

## Post

# Enable Postprocessing
# false = off
# true = on
# For in-depth configuration, look in "assets/post.fx" or "assets/post_asmodean.fx"
enablePostprocessing true

# Postprocessing type
# durante = basic postprocessing adapted from SweetFX (dark, local contrast)
# asmodean = postprocessing by Asmodean (with tone mapping, softer)
# For in-depth configuration, look in "assets/post.fx" or "assets/post_asmodean.fx"
postProcessingType durante

## Bloom

# Enable HDR Bloom
# false = off
# true = on
# For in-depth configuration, look in "assets/bloom.fx"
enableBloom true

Wounded

Witcher 2 doesn't seem to work for me (using alternate injection). The game boots and then I get a Direct3d error, then the game goes windowed and kinda blurry.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
im getting the issue where some games on the main menu i can only scroll half the screen but in game is fine, one game affected by this is supreme commander 2, my mouse will only be able to move half the screen across and down, if i change to a normal resolution its fine though.

ferom

Neo Member
Divinity: OS latest version not working for me. Alternative Injection, LoadAppDll = 1, forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true and all that jazz but no dice.

Durante

Could be that the release version broke compatibility. I'll investigate it once I have time (which will be when I'm not playing :p).

Wulfegang

I am using the release version and it works ok for me. I had to close GeDo, start the game and set it to Fullscreen (instead of Fake Fullscreen) with resolution at 1920x1080, quit the game, turn on GeDo, then go back into the game and select the new resolution.

Levyne

Banned
Full release works for me too. I thought it didn't, but I had to reset to the alternate injection method. Make sure you're doing that!

Top Bottom