• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

moop1167

In Dark Souls 2, SLI + using the SSAO from this program absolutely destroys my fps. With SLI off, it doesn't do that. Makes no sense :(

I need the power of two GPUs!

In Dark Souls 2, SLI + using the SSAO from this program absolutely destroys my fps. With SLI off, it doesn't do that. Makes no sense :(

I need the power of two GPUs!

Make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers. They greatly use the best SLI profile for Dark Souls 2.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Rock of Ages (an incredible game that I absolutely recommend - it's like $2.00 right now!) works with GeDoSaTo too, all you've gotta do is tweak the INI file.

Go to

Code:
C:\Users\*Username*\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\BoulderGame\Config

and search "ResX" and set ResX and ResY appropriately.

screenshot_2014_06_22_22_03_11_by_aloo81-d7njqfa.jpg

screenshot_2014_06_22_22_01_15_by_aloo81-d7njqca.jpg

screenshot_2014_06_22_22_07_50_by_aloo81-d7njqbn.jpg

Game is great downsampled!

The mouse is stuck in the 1920x1080 corner, but controller is fully functional so it doesn't really matter.

Seriously, what a cool little game. I'm so happy I went back to play this again.

Spazznid

I managed to get Remember Me running at 10K!!!

3 fps FTW.

Unfortunately, all the screenshots I took never saved...

This isn't the first time VERY large downsampled shots didn't save.

Durante

Any chance of someone porting over the original DS Fix into GeDoSaTo?
No, far too much work for not enough payoff.

I managed to get Remember Me running at 10K!!!

3 fps FTW.

Unfortunately, all the screenshots I took never saved...

This isn't the first time VERY large downsampled shots didn't save.
I use the D3DX functions for saving screenshots currently. They are slow and suck.

I want to move to another library at some point, and also do it in an asynchronous thread.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No, far too much work for not enough payoff.

I use the D3DX functions for saving screenshots currently. They are slow and suck.

I want to move to another library at some point, and also do it in an asynchronous thread.

That's exciting. I figured the slower screenshot times were a symptom of the enormous images being captured.

Parsnip

Beta7 downsampling doesn't seem to work for me. Post processing, bloom etc work fine though. I can pick the resolution from the list, but it doesn't appear to do anything at all, rather it just appears to silently revert to whatever resolution I was using before. Then when I close the game it will show this error and crash when I hit OK.
qIcHYKx.jpg

http://pastebin.com/xBypuch7
Here's some level 1 logs from Dark Souls 2, maybe it's useful. D3DERR_INVALIDCALL seems like a bad thing?

Ugh, I'm an idiot. My downsampling problem appears to have been a resolution typo, instead of 1360x768 I was trying to downsample to 1360x766. Seems like regular fullscreen GeDo didn't like that odd resolution. Borderless didn't mind it at all. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't gone into the settings to change the target resolution to 1080p.

And the error appears to actually be a Dark Souls 2 error and happens with or without GeDo running. I didn't have it before, and hadn't launched the game in a while, so I made a bad assumption. Seems like their 1.07 patch is somewhat unstable for me.

So, disregard that entire post I guess? :D
Time to test some games now that I know it actually works for me and I was being dumb.

Parsnip

Some Beta 0.7 tests.
Crystal Engine games (Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, Underworld and Guardian of Light) seem better now. Picking the resolution from the launcher rather than in-game works. Legend seems to have some trouble with its pre-titlescreen bink videos, you can hear them but nothing shows. You can skip them, and then the game seems fine. Don't know if there are more of those binks further in. Anniversary has some odd light and stutter trouble, I grabbed a video of that. Underworld and GoL appear to be fine, but didn't play very far. None of them exit gracefully, when I try to exit the game it will just halt on a black screen and I have to kill the process.
Here's the TRA video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOUT5NHj9wk

Aquaria, nope. This one's actually OpenGL I think, so no wonder.

Broken Age, still doesn't scale down. Is this DirectX? Its Windows min specs say it needs Dx9, but also "Must have OpenGL 3 with GLSL version 1.3 ". Maybe it uses OpenGL for rendering.

Broken Sword 3, doesn't scale the resolution down. It's DX8.1 I think, also tried it out with boris' dx8 to 9 converter, it will just crash the game.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, works but the UI is tiny.

The Next Big Thing, works. Needs "interceptWindowProc" set to true to fix the mouse.
Yesterday, works. Needs "interceptWindowProc" set to true to fix the mouse.
I'd wager a guess that any recent game from Pendulo works the same as these two, but it's not really beneficial. I always thought their games were stylized 3D, but I guess they are 2D sprites that are derived from 3D. Maybe. Kind of like Broken Sword 5 I'd guess.

Secret Files 3, appears to work but none of the mouse fixes work so I can't get very far in the menus.

More pics here for those who care, pardon the jpg compression. http://sta.sh/2f3j5pf1eaw

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The tool works wonderfully on the new Transformer game, except that I believe the smoothframerate command is fucking with the settings when I set the resolution as high as I am.

Durante

How would I go about doing that?
Doing what? Moving to a different screenshotting solution? Well, first you find some library to write images with. Then you integrate it into the GeDoSaTo codebase. Then you create a new screenshot-taking module and call it instead of the existing D3DX usage in the RSManager. Finally, you need to decouple the framebuffer -> main memory transfer from the image encoding/writing and do the latter in a separate thread. That's the part I'm currently working on.
I'm drunk

Edit:
Screenshot taking now has almost 0 perceptible performance hit.
Hail Satan!

feel

Sorry if this is dumb, but any clue why my Dark Souls 2 now looks like this after I come back from a 2 month break?

http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-06-23pyk8g.jpg[IMG]

I downloaded the latest gedosato.[/s]

edit-

nevermind, it fixed itself after I changed to another resolution and then back

Parsnip

Hey Durante, regarding game specific plugins, I imagine it would be possible to fix problems like UI scaling with them? How deep understanding of the stuff listed in developer readme would one need in order to get started with developing one?

BONKERS

Hey Durante, regarding game specific plugins, I imagine it would be possible to fix problems like UI scaling with them? How deep understanding of the stuff listed in developer readme would one need in order to get started with developing one?

I wish this would be the case. But I some how doubt it. :(

But also: Durante, if you have Mafia II, would you mind seeing if you can get it to work with GeDoSaTo?

SGSSAA+more than 1.5x1.5 Driver downsampling creates problems, and i'd like to see if GeDoSaTo fixes them, even with Bilinear scaling.

Lime

For some reason, Dark Souls 2 crashes if I do 3840x2160. Every other resolution, both higher and lower, works fine, but 2160p seems to crash when I load the actual game. Any idea?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wish this would be the case. But I some how doubt it. :(

I think UI scaling is very likely to be possible. I don't think it would be trivial to do, but I think it would be possible.

I was working on implementing custom post.fx's per game since it seemed like a simple enough thing that I could do with my ~year of experience coding in Java, but I couldn't even get the damn vanilla source code to compile.

By the way, if anyone can help me out with getting the source code to compile with Visual Studio 2013 I'd really appreciate it.

It seems like I should have all the dependencies as they're needed, but the program still isn't compiling right. I'm sure it's an issue with dependencies but after trying to get stuff right on and off for a whole weekend I gave up.

Any help would be cool.

More in detail, on compile I keep getting this.

With the final relevant fail state being

Code:
1>.\Debug\GeDoSaTo.dll : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found

Durante

Well, first of all, yes it would be possible. But it would also be an incredible amount of work. You'd have to reliably figure out when the game renders its UI, change those operations to scale it, and (if it's mouse-driven) redirect all relevant mouse click/motion data to fit the new UI.

But also: Durante, if you have Mafia II, would you mind seeing if you can get it to work with GeDoSaTo?
Sorry, I don't have Mafia II. Might be that it works in the next version though - it has some options to increase compatibility and enables Divinity: OS and Witcher 2 to work.

I was working on implementing custom post.fx's per game since it seemed like a simple enough thing
That's already in the current github version. Did it ~ a week ago I think.

By the way, if anyone can help me out with getting the source code to compile with Visual Studio 2013 I'd really appreciate it.

It seems like I should have all the dependencies as they're needed, but the program still isn't compiling right. I'm sure it's an issue with dependencies but after trying to get stuff right on and off for a whole weekend I gave up.

Any help would be cool.

More in detail, on compile I keep getting this.

With the final relevant fail state being

Code:
1>.\Debug\GeDoSaTo.dll : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found
You need to compile minHook with the same toolkit version as GeDoSaTo (VS2012). (Right click project->properties->general->platform toolset)

Parsnip

Well, first of all, yes it would be possible. But it would also be an incredible amount of work. You'd have to reliably figure out when the game renders its UI, change those operations to scale it, and (if it's mouse-driven) redirect all relevant mouse click/motion data to fit the new UI.
Figured as much, that does sound like a lot of work.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Sorry, I don't have Mafia II. Might be that it works in the next version though - it has some options to increase compatibility and enables Divinity: OS and Witcher 2 to work.

That's already in the current github version. Did it ~ a week ago I think.

You need to compile minHook with the same toolkit version as GeDoSaTo (VS2012). (Right click project->properties->general->platform toolset)

Thanks. I'll look into it later

Spazznid

Doing what? Moving to a different screenshotting solution? Well, first you find some library to write images with. Then you integrate it into the GeDoSaTo codebase. Then you create a new screenshot-taking module and call it instead of the existing D3DX usage in the RSManager. Finally, you need to decouple the framebuffer -> main memory transfer from the image encoding/writing and do the latter in a separate thread. That's the part I'm currently working on.
I'm drunk

chloe-moretz-confused-gif.gif

Edit:
Screenshot taking now has almost 0 perceptible performance hit.
Hail Satan!

Next build?

robgrab

Just tried Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning with GeDoSaTo .07 beta running at 4K and it was smooth as butter. Using NVIDIA's driver based downsampling the framerate made the game unplayable. Awesome work. I'll definitely be donating soon.

BONKERS

What ? 2014 games still developped in DX9 oO ?
Also I'll check if I can do something about Mafia 2 since I have the game somewhere on my HDD.
Fantastic work Durante, glad we got you

Thanks! Appreciate it
Just tried Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning with GeDoSaTo .07 beta running at 4K and it was smooth as butter. Using NVIDIA's driver based downsampling the framerate made the game unplayable. Awesome work. I'll definitely be donating soon.

Is too bad the game scales UI by resolution. Making it unplayable

Dmented

Banned
Anyway to fix the issue with your mouse cursor not locking to the game? I tried the mouse options but none seem to be working. Trying it in Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway btw.

And 2 screenshots for the hell of it:

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyway to fix the issue with your mouse cursor not locking to the game? I tried the mouse options but none seem to be working. Trying it in Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway btw.

And 2 screenshots for the hell of it:

What do you mean not locking to the game?

I still can't get my head around the fact that using a third party tool gives better performance than driver level stuff.
Is this wizardry ?

robgrab

I don't understand this wizardry either but it certainly seems like magic. Last night I was playing Tomb Raider Underworld at 3840x1620 with forced HBAO+ and it was easily running at ~60fps. Stuff like THIS is why I gave up console gaming and became a PC gamer.

Addendum: I also wanted to mention I'm getting this higher performance using bicubic, which according to the .ini file should be causing lower performance than bilinear. So I'm getting improved image quality along with higher performance. WIN-WIN.

PhilGPT

I'm wondering if there's any comparison shots between driver downsampling and GeDoSaTo downsampling at the same res (4k?)
Is quality the same? Better? Worse?

Either way, great job Durante! GeDoSaTo is amazing :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm wondering if there's any comparison shots between driver downsampling and GeDoSaTo downsampling at the same res (4k?)
Is quality the same? Better? Worse?

Either way, great job Durante! GeDoSaTo is amazing :)

It'll be the difference between bicubic downsampling and bilinear downsampling.

Or I guess more accurately, the above at 4K, and multi-step bicubic downsampling vs bilinear downsampling at resolutions above 4K.

Basically, take any one of your high res screenshots, and resize it to 1080p with Bicubic sampling and save it. Then do the same with Bilinear sampling and save it. Compare the results.

PhilGPT

It'll be the difference between bicubic downsampling and bilinear downsampling.

Or I guess more accurately, the above at 4K, and multi-step bicubic downsampling vs bilinear downsampling at resolutions above 4K.

Basically, take any one of your high res screenshots, and resize it to 1080p with Bicubic sampling and save it. Then do the same with Bilinear sampling and save it. Compare the results.
Ahhh alright... I'll do some testing once I get back to my desktop. I'm travelling and stuck with a laptop that can't do driver downsampling, so I can't really compare performance/quality right now.
I've only tried GeDoSaTo with DMC, and all the shots I took were 4K pre-downsampled. I wasn't monitoring performance either, so I can't comment on that.
I'll play around with it more tonight, and try it with other games.

Rigbaby

Neo Member
It really shouldn't happen. Performance should be the same (or slightly worse).

Your program has some really cool hidden gems. I've noticed similar results with Lili
Child of Geos, it also unlocks the games 30fps cap with Gedosato running at its default settings.

Top Bottom