• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Workin with KR0, menus are a bit fucked but usable. You just have to point the mouse about 6 inches below the menu :lol

kentuckyroutezero2014wcjll.png

Mafia 2 @ 6720x4200
Not sure I've got everything setup properly yet since I get the game to crash the 2nd time I take a screenshot. Game has aged rather poorly btw :

Skyrim does work with Gedosato, the good news is it can also work together with ENB :

I think it should work with 0.7 beta (I'm using the Github version so I'm not 100% sure).
- Keep GeDoSaTo.ini at the bare minimum (everything set to false)
- Add SkyrimLauncher and TESV to whitelist.txt
- Set ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true in enblocal.ini.

I'm not entirely sure all the ENB effects work exactly as intended though as I'm not a Skyrim guru at all so I have no clue
It's kinda cool to see ENB work in conjunction with Gedosato, shame I can't do the same with GTAIV

BONKERS

Mafia 2 @ 6720x4200
Not sure I've got everything setup properly yet since I get the game to crash the 2nd time I take a screenshot. Game has aged rather poorly btw :

Skyrim does work with Gedosato, the good news is it can also work together with ENB :

I think it should work with 0.7 beta (I'm using the Github version so I'm not 100% sure).
- Keep GeDoSaTo.ini at the bare minimum (everything set to false)
- Add SkyrimLauncher and TESV to whitelist.txt
- Set ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true in enblocal.ini.

I'm not entirely sure all the ENB effects work exactly as intended though as I'm not a Skyrim guru at all so I have no clue
It's kinda cool to see ENB work in conjunction with Gedosato, shame I can't do the same with GTAIV
So what did you end up doing to get M2 to work? Thanks BTW.

With SSAO disabled and my sweetFX set up personally I thought the game looked rather fantastic. http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4841678&postcount=557 It's no Crysis mind you,not even the same league (Lots of pop-in, poor textures on characters and other stuff like a low z-precision), but it still has an interesting characteristic if sometimes simplistic look to my eyes.

One thing it does really well though, is the sense of scale. Everything that is supposed to be huge, feels huge, even from far away.

Yeah but I've been spoilt by GTAV and Watch Dogs. The streets in Mafia 2 feel really empty in comparison. Low-poly count and low-res textures as well.
I submitted a 3 line-plugin to Durante in order to make Mafia 2 compatible, he's probably really busy right now though so I didn't get a reply from him yet

Btw, Resident Evil Revelations works at first with the new forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes parameter in the Github version but then makes the game crash as soon as you load a game. I tried debugging it but it's incredibly hard/impossible to spot the crash location

Metal Gear Rising. This one is a special beast I guess : Downsampling occurs with the new forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes parameter but the upscaled image looks like it's straight from a PSX port :
http://abload.de/img/presse-papiers-190jdp.jpg (portion taken from the full 6720x4200 image)
What the hell is this game doing ? stretching a 1680x1050 over a 6720x4200 surface ?
I know Durante already solved the case a few months ago so I'm not going to spend any more time on this game. Still I'm puzzled...

Durante

Beta 8 released! Compatibility, fast screenshots, Lanczos.

Code:
29-06-2014 -- beta 8 - "Rapidity is a justice"
==============================================
General:
- Added ability to have per-game postprocessing shaders
- Added the "forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes" option (can be used to make 
  reluctant games - like Divinity:OS - show downsampling resolutions)
- Added Lanczos downsampling filter option
- Changed default screenshots to also capture GeDoSaTo overlays
- Made screenshot-taking asynchronous (basically 0 performance hit for the first SS)
- Restored neutral render state before downsampling [Boulotaur2024]
- Refactored rendertarget management (to easier turn API agnostic later)
GeDoSaToTool:
- Implemented alternative dll injection strategy (for games which build the 
  D3D device before doing anything which would be caught by the default)
- Prevented multiple instances of GeDoSaToTool being started
- Added startup checks for path validity and admin rights
- Added basic editors for postprocessing shaders

This is the first release where I feel comfortable saying that there are probably a lot more compatible DX9 games now than remaining incompatible ones!

robgrab

I'm getting an error trying to launch it. It says:

"The installation path (C:\Users\username\Desktop\Utilities\GeDoSaTo\) contains special characters or spaces. Please install GeDoSaTo to a path with only ANSI characters and no spaces.

How do I fix this?

Durante

I assume your username contains either non-ANSI characters or spaces. If so, move gedosato somewhere else. (E.g. C:\gedosato\ or something like that).

Faith

I'm getting an error trying to launch it. It says:

"The installation path (C:\Users\username\Desktop\Utilities\GeDoSaTo\) contains special characters or spaces. Please install GeDoSaTo to a path with only ANSI characters and no spaces.

How do I fix this?
Yeah me2 and I have it on C:/Program Files/Gedosato

Durante

Well, that's a space between Program and Files :p

(Previous versions wouldn't warn about this, but might just fail silently. Ideally, I should make it work with spaces and unicode paths, but for now it's better to at least let people know)

Levyne

Banned
So for divinity we have to set the forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes to true? Is there any downside to this with other applications?

Divinity: OS crashes when trying to start. I've turned off everything in Gedosato (aa, ssao, etc.) except for the downsampling portion. Tried with and without the 'force always' and 'flip behavior' options enabled. Any ideas? Only thing running in the background is Precision X, which I need for the fan profiles (downsampling would roast my cards without custom fan).

Edit: Tried the alternate injection method, just for the hell of it, and the game started, but with no downsample resolutions showing in the list.

TheTrain

Strange situation with TimeShift or, at least, this is the first time I need to use this "workaround" in order to achieve the downsampling.
If I use Gedosato through the Whitelist, TimeShift don't recognize the new resolution, but if I set the Blacklist, instead of the White, Gedosato works.
I use MSI Afterburner+RTSS but the Downsampling through the Whitelist doesn't work either with or without it, so the problem isn't the tool itself.
Don't know if this can be useful for you regard the compatibility of Gedosato, at least this info can be useful for who want to downsample TimeShift (Steam Version 1.0 Patch). :D
Thanks for this update, and for all DAT work ofc, Durante!

Demigod Mac

Could this in theory be implemented in-game? Some games have menu / HUD size problems if downsampled (like Deus Ex HR)

If any game developers are reading this, they should contact Durante to get this supported in-game. Would be a great option, probably as simple as offering two options in a game's settings: monitor resolution and internal resolution like some emulators do.

Durante

So for divinity we have to set the forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes to true? Is there any downside to this with other applications?
You don't have to, actually, there's already a config file for divinity included.

However, you do have to switch to the alternative injection method.

Could this in theory be implemented in-game? Some games have menu / HUD size problems if downsampled (like Deus Ex HR)

If any game developers are reading this, they should contact Durante to get this supported in-game. Would be a great option, probably as simple as offering two options in a game's settings: monitor resolution and internal resolution like some emulators do.
Of course it could be implemented in-game, and with less than 1% of the effort required to implement in externally like I do. (None of all that interception, windows API tricking, and general hackery required to do what GeDoSaTo does)

And I'd hope that most game devs wouldn't need to contact me to implement downsampling ;)

Levyne

Banned
You don't have to, actually, there's already a config file for divinity included.

However, you do have to switch to the alternative injection method.

Of course it could be implemented in-game, and with less than 1% of the effort required to implement in externally like I do. (None of all that interception, windows API tricking, and general hackery required to do what GeDoSaTo does)

And I'd hope that most game devs wouldn't need to contact me to implement downsampling ;)

Okay, the alternate method works. Now I just gotta figure out which settings to tweak to see if I can still get 60 fps at 4k on a single 780...not sure it will be easily possible...

Dmented

Banned
Are you using borderless fulscreen?

If so' try disabling it

Nope, wasn't using borderless fullscreen.

Edit: Just tried the new version and the problem is still there. Does it for Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 as well.

Besides the mouse issue everything else seems to be working correctly. I guess if I didn't have dual monitors this wouldn't be a problem.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Alternative injection method doesn't give me my downsample res to choose from in-game. Any idea why?

You've just gotta use whichever one works, and there is always the possibility that neither will.

Which game are you talking about btw?

Okay, the alternate method works. Now I just gotta figure out which settings to tweak to see if I can still get 60 fps at 4k on a single 780...not sure it will be easily possible...

You could always drop down to 3200x1800 to get some sweet sweet frames back

Wulfegang

I'm unable to get Divinity: Original Sin to work as well. The game launches fine but there is no downsampling or custom resolutions in options. I am using the Alternative Injection Method, have not changed any settings in the config files, running the tool as Admin, and have GeDoSaTo installed to "D:\GeDoSaTo".

That's strange (the Divinity: OS issue). Try enabling the "forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes" option in the global settings file.

Tried moving a fresh install of Gedosato to a different directory (E:\Gedosato) and running as administrator, just in case. Enabled forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes in global and set to use alternate injector with everything else untouched, but I still don't get the new res in the list. =/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyone else unable to download the new beta because Chrome says it is malicious?

It's been doing that for a while. You can disable it in the chrome settings.

Alternatively, you can press Ctrl+J to open downloads and force it to allow you to keep it there.

Durante

Or just get a browser which doesn't have broken "malicious software" detection.

I still don't get why Divinity isn't working for some :/
It's perfect here.

SashaNein

Unconfirmed Member
That's strange (the Divinity: OS issue). Try enabling the "forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes" option in the global settings file.

I am also having this issue. Having that set to true doesn't seem to help either. I've tried combinations of having the game fullscreen and fake fullscreen, switching AA on and off. Pressing the "+" key doesn't give me the GeDoSaTo settings either way.

Durante

I am also having this issue. Having that set to true doesn't seem to help either. I've tried combinations of having the game fullscreen and fake fullscreen, switching AA on and off. Pressing the "+" key doesn't give me the GeDoSaTo settings either way.
You did switch to the alternative injection method though?

Wounded

I've only ever used this for DS2, but I'd love to use it for The Witcher 2. Is there recommended method or settings of getting it working?

Durante

Seems to be working for me, looking forward to tomorrow!
You mean for Divinity? If so, good, I was getting worried with all the negative reports.

Edit: for the people for whom the alternative injection isn't working: please check the value "LoadAppInit_DLLs" in the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows".

I did mean Divinity but I seem to be having the same issue as others. Alterative makes it not crash like default does but the resolution options don't change and comparing with deactivated seems to show little difference. Went and played Dark Souls II again just to make sure I didn't mess up the extraction and it still looks great.

SashaNein

Unconfirmed Member
You mean for Divinity? If so, good, I was getting worried with all the negative reports.

Edit: for the people for whom the alternative injection isn't working: please check the value "LoadAppInit_DLLs" in the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows".

For me it's set to REG_DWORD with value 0.

Edit: I set it to 1 and it's working! Cheers, Durante!

Edit2: Oh, I can press the '+' to see the status, but my mouse isn't working...

Edit3: Turning off forceBorderlessFullscreen fixes my mouse issue, for anybody else having similar issues.

Top Bottom