• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

7Sins

Neo Member
Comparison of AO on/off on Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy :
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86315

Using these settings. It still looks rough to me. AO is a difficult effect to work with. Plus I'm getting artefact/aliased AO even though I'm actually linearizing my depth in the readDepth() function (at least I think so)

EDIT : might look better :
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86333

Using these settings

EDIT : doesn't look half bad with some further post-processing
http://abload.de/img/untitledhjpaf.jpg

That actually looks eons better than the ps2 version I played a few years ago. :)

I tried to downsample Fahrenheit via gedosato but the game freezes every time. (gog + TAG widescreen method) I tried A LOT of different settings, with and without enb. Maybe I should try an older build but I doubt it will make a difference.

Man, doing panoramas with GeDoSaTo is a fucking breeze.

Bxg1M7sIAAEi7AR.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Had some success trying to futz around with the new build

MechWarrior Online

exe : MWOClient

injectPSHash 4a160fc1
injectDelayAfterDraw true

# Modify the mouse position reported by "GetCursorPos" when downsampling
modifyGetCursorPos true

# Modify the mouse position set by "SetCursorPos" when downsampling
modifySetCursorPos true

# Intercept the WindowProc callback of the game and adjust mouse messages when downsampling
interceptWindowProc true

anyone else have any luck with this game? Trying to figure out how to make it black and white, etc.

HUDless screenie:

What do you mean by "make it black and white"?

Do you know how to fix the awful flickering? I downloaded the newest version and can't downsample as I could with the old one. The image is stretched and flickers like hell. I have all the resolutions properly in the ini file.

Any help yould be appreciated. (trying to run Dishonored if that helps

Thanks

Anteater

hmm gedosato hudless thingy seems to have the side effect of disabling one or two post processing effects with the games I've tried it on. In Lego Marvel Super Heroes it's the motion blur and in Remember Me it's the bloom.

Parsnip

hmm gedosato hudless thingy seems to have the side effect of disabling one or two post processing effects with the games I've tried it on. In Lego Marvel Super Heroes it's the motion blur and in Remember Me it's the bloom.

If the injectPShash "fires" too soon, that can happen. I haven't looked at those games myself so I don't know if it's possible to fix them. There was a config for LoS that did that as well, but I removed it.
The right half is the hudless shot, but it's also missing the final lighting/bloom/whatever pass.

akira28

I think I'm doing this right:

comparison shot, and untouched no post processing

edit: although if I use grain or tonemap, things get a little wonky or blinky. depending of if I'm pointing the camera at the sun or not...like, it works...but...kinda doesn't. weird artifacts. Lasers become walls of laser. If I just have bloom and luma and curves turned on, everything looks pretty good, no strange washed out colors or blinking. I noticed this sort of thing when I was testing with a different PSHash Injector.

Sure, but you'll have to use a custom api which translates the DX8 calls to DX9. Use this one from enbdev: http://enbdev.com/download_convertor_dx8todx9.htm

I managed to get Mafia, Silent Hill 2, GTA, Max Payne (Bouloutaur2024 made some changes to it so it works, you can find it in this thread) and there's a good chance it works with other dx8 games.

Cool, I'll give this a go tonight. Hopefully I can get it working with Star Wars Republic Commando.

desmax

Sure, but you'll have to use a custom api which translates the DX8 calls to DX9. Use this one from enbdev: http://enbdev.com/download_convertor_dx8todx9.htm

I managed to get Mafia, Silent Hill 2, GTA, Max Payne (Bouloutaur2024 made some changes to it so it works, you can find it in this thread) and there's a good chance it works with other dx8 games.

Oh, thank you for that. I can use it with Trails in the Sky now (Even though it has a tendency to crash easily)

BONKERS

No D3D8 wrapper works with ED:VI FC without crashing.

Just force AA from your GPU's drivers instead.

With Nvidia cards you don't need any bits and you can force literally any kind of AA in inspector in the game plus you can driver downsample as well.

The game really doesn't need GeDoSaTo.

Flail

Neo Member
Can anybody help me get this running with ePSXe?

Like shown in post #2160

I can choose the higher resolutions and run the games but it isn't downsampling, therefore I only see a small part of the whole screen

Took the screenshot with Fraps, ingame Keybinding seems not to work?! :(

Star Wars Republic Commando is recognised by gedosato with the use of that DX8 wrapper, but unfortunately it crashes when it loads a level if the wrapper is active. Any ideas on how to make it go?

orava

I'm glad that gedosato does upscaling too with very good results. Compared to basic bilinear nvidia gpu scaling or the blurfest that my display does at least. This will be very handy with 4K and 5K displays.

I think I'm doing this right:

comparison shot, and untouched no post processing

edit: although if I use grain or tonemap, things get a little wonky or blinky. depending of if I'm pointing the camera at the sun or not...like, it works...but...kinda doesn't. weird artifacts. Lasers become walls of laser. If I just have bloom and luma and curves turned on, everything looks pretty good, no strange washed out colors or blinking. I noticed this sort of thing when I was testing with a different PSHash Injector.

May want some higher quality images, I can barely tell the difference. They are quite compressed.

7Sins

Neo Member
Star Wars Republic Commando is recognised by gedosato with the use of that DX8 wrapper, but unfortunately it crashes when it loads a level if the wrapper is active. Any ideas on how to make it go?

I didn't had any luck with SWRC either so I don't think it works well with the wrapper.

One3rd

I can't seem to use the dumpframe feature anymore. Tried with both Transformers games and it crashes after only 7 frames.

BONKERS

I didn't had any luck with SWRC either so I don't think it works well with the wrapper.

I'm starting to think GeDoSaTo will need to natively support DX8. (If only for the ability to use post processing shaders. But then you can't use forced hardware AA at the same time)

But to be completely honest, most DX8 games, HQ AA can be forced without issue 9/10 times.

on Nvidia cards anyway. Don't know about AMD cards.

Think someone just needs to make a SweetFX/PP Shader suite for DX8 native.
People with Mafia 2 working? How did you make it work? Whitelisted it, but can't change the res in game.

I had it working back when they had the regular and alternate injection selectable.

I haven't tried with latest builds since it's more of a novelty for me personally.(Since I can't use SGSSAA at the same time)

Playing Halo 1 at 4k with this and I am having trouble getting the post proccessing working (basically sweet fx). Anyone have any luck? For me it only shows the banner that I am downsampling, and not which AA i am in jecting or any of the stuff about post processing or generic deth. How do Iget it to show a more detailed listing of what is going on? I forget.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The framedump crash introduced in recent versions should be fixed now.

Thanks for the fix! How are things goin for you in regards to DX11 stuff? Threads been quiet, which usually means a lot of important background progress.

Like you, I assume he's working on some awesome features and is staying quiet until ready =)

Any word on some kind of multi-PSHash functionality?

So far, GeDoSaTo is a pretty amazing tool. I'm pretty impressed with what Durante has achieved here.

7Sins

Neo Member
Playing Halo 1 at 4k with this and I am having trouble getting the post proccessing working (basically sweet fx). Anyone have any luck? For me it only shows the banner that I am downsampling, and not which AA i am in jecting or any of the stuff about post processing or generic deth. How do Iget it to show a more detailed listing of what is going on? I forget.

Edit keybindings:

showStatus VK_insert any kb button here

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Woah, that totally is sort of like a GeDoSaTo that will be baked in to work with the different varieties of DirectX. It obviously doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it is a basic implementation.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

But it needs customization over the downsampling, does DSR feature have it?

Edit: But its an awesome that Nvidia made it possible via its driver package, hopefully AMD will follow suite.

robgrab

I assume I will work with OpenGL games as well. Too bad it'll only be available to owners of the 900 based cards initially, which is lame.
As of today, DSR is only supported on new GeForce GTX 900 Series GPUs, but in the future we'll be rolling out this incredible new feature to other, similarly powerful NVIDIA GeForce GTX graphics cards.

Hopefully it'll also solve problems with games where AO gets lost when down sampling.

Durante

I'm sure it will solve all these issues (as well as mouse input). The driver would have always been the "correct" place to do this, it's much more natural. If NV had done this 1 year ago, I would probably never have started GeDoSaTo.

On the other hand, if GeDoSaTo had never existed, then would we have DSR today? Who knows.

And finally, what the hell is "dynamic" about DSR? :p

Does anybody have major problems with Dishonored? I donwloaded the newest version (I was using an ancient alpha until now) and the image flickers a LOT and I see just about a 1/4 of the screen. I have all the resolution lined up nicely, any idea what may cause this?

I still love GeDo for the other features. Especially the HUD toggle. And I'm sure its making AMD users very happy. I also have to imagine that DSR is going to have an upper limit whereas GeDo does not.

Parsnip

It's interesting that Nvidia is officially jumping on the downsampling train as well. But it being limited to Mawell (for now I guess?) is kind of lame. Anyone have any thoughts on the "13-tap Gaussian filter" they are using?

pa22word

Perhaps it works similar to adaptive vsync in that once your performance starts to tank beyond acceptable levels it lowers the res in real time to keep up with performance? We've already seen realtime dynamic resolution tech out of a lot of console games in the 7th gen, like the Ninja Gaiden games, RAGE, etc.

Sanjay

I'm sure it will solve all these issues (as well as mouse input). The driver would have always been the "correct" place to do this, it's much more natural. If NV had done this 1 year ago, I would probably never have started GeDoSaTo.

On the other hand, if GeDoSaTo had never existed, then would we have DSR today? Who knows.

I think its clear, your work forces others to work more.

Unai

Perhaps it works similar to adaptive vsync in that once your performance starts to tank beyond acceptable levels it lowers the res in real time to keep up with performance? We've already seen realtime dynamic resolution tech out of a lot of console games in the 7th gen, like the Ninja Gaiden games, RAGE, etc.

That would be awsome.

Tried this for the first time with Batman Blackgate and it look sssssooooooooo freakin' good downsampled. This also doesn't cause my TV screen to set itself to Full RGB when i downsample, unlike when i tried downsampling through the nvidia control panel. Thumbs up, Durante!

I still love GeDo for the other features. Especially the HUD toggle. And I'm sure its making AMD users very happy. I also have to imagine that DSR is going to have an upper limit whereas GeDo does not.

Yep, GeDoSaTo is completely configurable and card agnostic, so its invaluable, im sure nVidia's solution wont let me supersample triple screen resolutions.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does the gedosato prostprocessing work on other games?

I get it how to turn it on in DS2, but what do you do to get it running in others?

You set it up on a game by game basis now, or you can just make one "general" one that works for every game. It's designed that way so that you can personally apply different PP shaders to different games in a way that best matches their visuals.

If you want a general one
edit the post.fx file in the *GeDoSaTo*\assets folder with whatever shader you'd like to apply and that post processing will apply to every game.​

If you want specific ones per game
add the game to your whitelist, and create a folder in the *GeDoSaTo*\config folder that is identical to your games executable name, minus the exe.

ex: RE5DX9.exe would be RE5DX9

Once that folder is created, you can add a post.fx file to that folder and have post processing that applies specifically to that game and allows you to create custom post.fx files per game.​

If you want the exact same post processing as Dark Souls II to apply to every game
Take the post.fx file from the *GeDosaTo*\config\DarkSoulsII folder and place it in the *GeDoSaTo*\assets folder​

And of course, make sure that you enable post processing in the GeDoSaTo.ini file as well.

I might love GeDoSaTo more for the other features? What started out as a fairly barebones tool has become really well fleshed out with a lot of great options. The downsampling just feels like one that's part of a vast many at this point.

Top Bottom