• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Parsnip

Nvidia
.DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution)
.Ref: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

According to the above tech details
"Only games that lack UI scaling and/or support for resolutions over 1920x1080 are excluded from this feature."

You can still enable it on all games though, through nvcp. Your quote is in reference to Nvidia's setting optimization, of course they won't "optimize" your game in that way if the UI becomes unusable.

Azar

I'm sure it will solve all these issues (as well as mouse input). The driver would have always been the "correct" place to do this, it's much more natural. If NV had done this 1 year ago, I would probably never have started GeDoSaTo.

On the other hand, if GeDoSaTo had never existed, then would we have DSR today? Who knows.

And finally, what the hell is "dynamic" about DSR? :p
I asked Nvidia about their inspiration for DSR last week and told one of their marketing guys about GeDo. He was impressed! They said modding wasn't a direct inspiration, but I think you guys absolutely played a part, which I said as much here :)

http://pcgamer.com/2014/09/19/nvidias-dynamic-super-resolution-is-downsampling-made-easy

Parsnip

*Puts on tinfoil hat*

I thought it was pretty interesting coincidence that Nvidia chose Dark Souls 2 as their game to show it.

And I guess grass is a good test case, but I was reminded of this.

aa_compare2.gif

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

It's obvious the ideam came from GeDoSaTo. Dark souls 2 comparison does ring a bell.

Been working some more on high quality SSAO options for GeDo. I think it might be getting somewhere. I think it looks neat but the performance has been a bit disappointing for now. I must have screwed something up (this is Scalable Ambient Obscurance in Devil May Cry 4 btw)

Durante

Perhaps it works similar to adaptive vsync in that once your performance starts to tank beyond acceptable levels it lowers the res in real time to keep up with performance?
I really don't think so, that's almost impossible to do externally if a game isn't built for it.

If I had to guess they added the "dynamic" simply because it sounds better :p

robgrab

You set it up on a game by game basis now, or you can just make one "general" one that works for every game. It's designed that way so that you can personally apply different PP shaders to different games in a way that best matches their visuals.

If you want a general one
edit the post.fx file in the *GeDoSaTo*\assets folder with whatever shader you'd like to apply and that post processing will apply to every game.​

If you want specific ones per game
add the game to your whitelist, and create a folder in the *GeDoSaTo*\config folder that is identical to your games executable name, minus the exe.

ex: RE5DX9.exe would be RE5DX9

Once that folder is created, you can add a post.fx file to that folder and have post processing that applies specifically to that game and allows you to create custom post.fx files per game.​

If you want the exact same post processing as Dark Souls II to apply to every game
Take the post.fx file from the *GeDosaTo*\config\DarkSoulsII folder and place it in the *GeDoSaTo*\assets folder​

And of course, make sure that you enable post processing in the GeDoSaTo.ini file as well.

I might love GeDoSaTo more for the other features? What started out as a fairly barebones tool has become really well fleshed out with a lot of great options. The downsampling just feels like one that's part of a vast many at this point.

I can't get postprocessing to work in GeDoSaTo. I was trying it with Injustice: Gods Among Us but it didn't work. I already had an Injustice folder in my config folder because someone created an injectPSHash code for HUDless screenshots. I copied and pasted the post.fx file from the assets folder into the config/Injustice folder and enabled a few shaders, just like I do in SweetFX, but when I start the game it says that postprocessing is disabled even though I have enablePostprocessing set to true in the GeDoSaTo.ini file. What am I missing?

legacyzero

Banned
Why am I having trouble finding where to download the latest version at the link in the OP?

Am I not seeing it right?

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

It's obvious the ideam came from GeDoSaTo. Dark souls 2 comparison does ring a bell.

Been working some more on high quality SSAO options for GeDo. I think it might be getting somewhere. I think it looks neat but the performance has been a bit disappointing for now. I must have screwed something up (this is Scalable Ambient Obscurance in Devil May Cry 4 btw)

This is fantastic looking.

BONKERS

I'm sure it will solve all these issues (as well as mouse input). The driver would have always been the "correct" place to do this, it's much more natural. If NV had done this 1 year ago, I would probably never have started GeDoSaTo.

On the other hand, if GeDoSaTo had never existed, then would we have DSR today? Who knows.

And finally, what the hell is "dynamic" about DSR? :P

, based on an aggression variable when it adjusts the resolution back to native resolution.
At least this is the impression it gives off with the name. (And based on their own information. You can set multiple multiples of resolution to scale back to.)

The naming in NVCP is egregious too
DSR_ConPanel.png

2x,2.25x,3,4

4x What? 4x as in 2x2=4? or 4x4?
I'm leaning to the former

Would be ridiculous if this was limited to only 2x2 (edit: It is.. ugh)

The DSII sample comparisons clearly show that 2x2 isn't enough for that grass.

This also makes me worry that the fact it's limited to 4k max on a 1080p screen. Though that was the max useable ratio that gave good IQ with current Driver downsampling.

You can still enable it on all games though, through nvcp. Your quote is in reference to Nvidia's setting optimization, of course they won't "optimize" your game in that way if the UI becomes unusable.

Which brings to the table that it's still useless outside screenshotting for a lot of games.

This is the exact kind of idea I had for FFXIV to implement, user configurable. Except render pass before UI pass to keep the scale set at another user set variable (IE: 1920x1080 fixed UI scaling. Render resolution > 6400x3600)

I am glad there is a better solution to current driver downsampling though. Extremely. Because this also means it may work with injected HBAO+ and SGSSAA

BONKERS

They said it's limited to 4k on a 1080p set. So that means 2x2=4.

I wish they would just put the damn ratios in there so people understand how they get that in the first place.

4x resolution (2x2 your native)
2.25x Resolution (1.5x1.5 your native)

At least they put in a sharpness vs smoothness slider. That way everyone can get what they want out of it.

Durante

Scalable Ambient Obscurancee is the one which samples from different mipmap levels so that far away texture fetches aren't too expensive, right? Are you doing that?

If not, that could explain a high performance hit.

AXE

Anyone tried this with FFXIV: ARR?

Would be interested if someone has this running on FFXIVARR properly.

Seems to load since I can take screenshots properly, but the visuals aren't touched. Should the in-game resolution menu display the actual rendering resolution or is Dark Souls 2 an exception?

Running both the gedosato and the game ffxivboo.exe as Administrator (Steam is in between - should I target it somehow?)

Also, clearly something isn't right as Postprocessing options aren't applied either. I had to add each .exe file name into the Whitelist just to get the game running, as the ffxiv* didn't appear to cut it.

Thanks,

7Sins

Neo Member

You mind sharing how you implemented ssao in Fahrenheit (Indigo prophecy) ? :)
I know you mentioned it wasn't perfect but it gives some depth to the final image and I kinda liked it.

And what version/settings you used with gedosato? I'm using the latest version and it always crashes the game on startup no matter what settings I use.

I've been wondering about how DSR scales. What if you set your desktop res to 3840x2160 (via custom resolution in the control panel) and use 4x DSR. Would that run a game at 8K?

PnCIa

And finally, what the hell is "dynamic" about DSR? :p
Your work for sure had a part in their motivation to actually go this route!
And no other tool or driver can, for example, provide the injection of effects at a certain point during frame creation. Injecting SMAA before the HUD is drawn is an awesome thing :)

Garteal

I'm having issues getting GeDoSaTo to work properly with Skyrim using SKSE. The game gets rendered at whatever resolution I put it at, but it doesn't get downsampled to 1080p meaning I see 1/3th or so of the screen depending on what resolution I'm downsampling from. Trying to get in game by blindly loading up a save results in a CTD. It does seem to work fine when I launch the game via Steam though (through the official launcher) and I got in-game for a moment.

Here are the logs with logging set to 1 from running the game with SKSE and normally.

I'm using a 280x with the latest beta drivers 14.7.

Would be interested if someone has this running on FFXIVARR properly.
It works. I just played the game a little. Just make sure you're running the game in fullscreen

You mind sharing how you implemented ssao in Fahrenheit (Indigo prophecy) ? :)
This game is unstable as hell, GeDoSaTo or not. It crashes on me all the time as well after the Atari intro. I have to Ctrl + Alt + Del twice to click 'Ignore' on the background error message box to finally reach the menu. Make sure to use this for widescreen and set the right res according to GeDoSaTo

To add AO you need to enable the GenericDepthPlugin plugin in GeDoSaTo.ini and uncomment #define NEW_SSAO in VSSAO2.fx. I just tried that on the latest GeDoSaTo build and the result is better than what I remember it was. I wish I could tweak it further but the game crashed on me for the 20th time so I gave up. If you're having more luck than me you might want to tweak the AO settings. They're all located below the total_strength parameter. #define SHOW_SSAO enables the AO output like in my screenshot

EDIT : also float depth = pow(z, 60); in lieu of float depth = pow(z, 36); works better for Fahrenheit

Scalable Ambient Obscurancee is the one which samples from different mipmap levels so that far away texture fetches aren't too expensive, right? Are you doing that?

If not, that could explain a high performance hit.
Yes sir. You already read the paper I see : )
Yeah mipmapping should improve performance but I'm not entirely sure how to do that yet. Even after looking at the original implementation source-code. Doesn't help that they use some obscure framework (g3d) that I can't even compile/run grrrr
I should be able to commit all that next week

7Sins

Neo Member
This game is unstable as hell, GeDoSaTo or not. It crashes on me all the time as well after the Atari intro. I have to Ctrl + Alt + Del twice to click 'Ignore' on the background error message box to finally reach the menu. Make sure to use this for widescreen and set the right res according to GeDoSaTo

To add AO you need to enable the GenericDepthPlugin plugin in GeDoSaTo.ini and uncomment #define NEW_SSAO in VSSAO2.fx. I just tried that on the latest GeDoSaTo build and the result is better than what I remember it was. I wish I could tweak it further but the game crashed on me for the 20th time so I gave up. If you're having more luck than me you might want to tweak the AO settings. They're all located below the total_strength parameter. #define SHOW_SSAO enables the AO output like in my screenshot

EDIT : also float depth = pow(z, 60); in lieu of float depth = pow(z, 36); works better for Fahrenheit

There was a different outcome on my end. (lol)

I've set pluginOverride GenericDepthPlugin in gedosato.ini, and edited vssao2.fx. [uncommented #define NEW_SSAO and set float depth = pow(z, 60); ]

Not sure what I did wrong here.

Boogybro

Does anyone know if there are any known issues with this and Saints Row IV? I've added the game to my whitelist but it doesn't seem to work for some reason.

There was a different outcome on my end. (lol)
Mars Attacks DLC ?

I don't know I've never seen anything like that. Could be that the hardware vendor hack depth texture doesn't work very well on NVIDIA cards...
EDIT : By any chance, are you using MSAA or something forced through NVIDIA Inspector ?

7Sins

Neo Member
Mars Attacks DLC ?

I don't know I've never seen anything like that. Could be that the hardware vendor hack depth texture doesn't work very well on NVIDIA cards...
EDIT : By any chance, are you using MSAA or something forced through NVIDIA Inspector ?

AA enabled in-game was the culprit. Thanks, it looks fine IMO but it's a heavy hitter on performance.

BONKERS

does this work on final fantasy xiv? and if so, what do i put in the whitelist? the boot, or the ffixv.exe?

This has been answered several times. Use the FFXIV.exe.

But good luck getting decent AA and the game remaining actually playable due to the UI size.

7Sins

Neo Member
AA enabled in-game was the culprit. Thanks, it looks fine IMO but it's a heavy hitter on performance.

̶S̶c̶r̶a̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶s̶s̶a̶o̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶t̶h̶ ̶=̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶(̶z̶,̶ ̶6̶0̶)̶;̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶v̶i̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶.̶

Edit: Uncommented #show_ssao and took some shots. Seems that ao IS there but it wasn't really noticeable when I took some comparison shots.

Guess I need to tweak it now. *pants*

Any word on Wasteland 2?
It's in the whitelist but the game appears to be locked at whatever the desktop resolution is regardless of the in game resolution setting.

Unai

There is now a setting in the NVidia Inspector called "NVidia Quality Upscaling", but I don't know what it actually does.

MoonGred

I'm downloading Deadly premonition and am planning on using gedosato. I've been doing some reading and Durante also made DPfix upon release.
Are they both similar with the exception that gedosato will have more eye candy tweaking options?
From what I gather DPfix latest version is 0.9.5 is that corret?

Durante

GeDoSaTo wouldn't work with Deadly Premonition as it's resolution locked. Use DPfix. And when the game crashes remember it's the game and not DPfix :/

It's too bad really, DP is such an interesting game if you get over the technical issues.

MoonGred

GeDoSaTo wouldn't work with Deadly Premonition as it's resolution locked. Use DPfix. And when the game crashes remember it's the game and not DPfix :/

It's too bad really, DP is such an interesting game if you get over the technical issues.

Ah that's a damn shame. Oh well at least you've done your part on trying to make it better ;)

Found a PSHash for Dead Island, injectPSHash a68bfb7f. My first time doing this although when sprinting the HUD shows up and I don't know how to get right. But GeDoSaTo still takes great hudless screenshots.
Even though its not perfect I can try to submit the config file to github but I haven't use github before so I am signing up right now.

I was trying to use GeDoSaTo for downsampling in Ethan Carter but I can't get it to work. I'm not even sure if its picking up the game at all.

Only the Launcher showed up in the logs. Also, GeDoSaTo pretty much breaks the launcher. I didn't add that to my whitelist so I'm not sure why it's grabbing it.

EDIT: Ahhhh. It's in the standard whitelist.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Found a PSHash for Dead Island, injectPSHash a68bfb7f. My first time doing this although when sprinting the HUD shows up and I don't know how to get right. But GeDoSaTo still takes great hudless screenshots.

Even though its not perfect I can try to submit the config file to github but I haven't use github before so I am signing up right now.

You should try doing a dumpFrame while sprinting. I had a similar issue in RE5 where it would perfectly remove all of the UI elements, but as soon as I would aim the whole screen would go black until I stopped aiming. I was able to dump frame while aiming and find a PSHash that removed the HUD at all times, and didn't mess up while aiming.

Couple more shots of SAO in action :

I sent a Github pull request. SSAO is a really hard effect to work with. Prepare for some endless tweaking session. It's even harder as I/we have to "guess" the projection values from the game so I wouldn't expect the effect to look right from the get-go when applied to your favorite dx9 game (if it works at all with the GenericDepthPlugin). You'd have to find fitting values for the nearZ/farZ parameters (much like RadeonPro works iirc). Everything is configurable in the shader itself. And there's quite a lot to configure there, damn.

EDIT : what about Gamecube games :
http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-09-27b5jem.png
http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-09-27k8k3t.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Couple more shots of SAO in action :

I sent a Github pull request. SSAO is a really hard effect to work with. Prepare for some endless tweaking session. It's even harder as I/we have to "guess" the projection values from the game so I wouldn't expect the effect to look right from the get-go when applied to your favorite dx9 game (if it works at all with the GenericDepthPlugin). You'd have to find fitting values for the nearZ/farZ parameters (much like RadeonPro works iirc). Everything is configurable in the shader itself. And there's quite a lot to configure there, damn.

Do you have any before and after shots of it being applied in game on a normal image?

It's hard to get a grasp of how good it actually looks in practice based on solely those images. It SEEMS very detailed.

BONKERS

Also, a video of it once applied to a game would be helpful too. Temporal stability,/sampling artifacts are important to see in motion.

Hey guys, I'm having an issue where dota 2 doesn't show any of the resolutions I've added. Everything's set up fine and other games work perfectly, but dota just doesn't show the resolutions for some reason.

Do you have any before and after shots of it being applied in game on a normal image?
Something like that (probably a terrible example because Dishonored is flawless as it is) :

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/93215
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/93216

Before you complain it's a bit overdone for demonstration purpose. It's not game changer in any way, no. And it's costly as hell. But until something better comes out...

Also, a video of it once applied to a game would be helpful too. Temporal stability,/sampling artifacts are important to see in motion.
Be my guest and implement Temporal supersampling :]

BONKERS

Something like that (probably a terrible example because Dishonored is flawless at it is) :

Before you complain it's a bit overdone for demonstration purpose. It's not game changer in any way, no. And it's costly as hell. But until something better comes out...

Be my guest and implement Temporal supersampling :]

Ha, if I was a programmer, then I would in a heartbeat. Better yet, i'd actually use the temporal reprojection from Killzone Shadow Fall, which is fantastic.

Durante

It's impossible to implement any reprojection method generically in a wrapper, since the vast majority of games don't store per-pixel motion vectors. And even when they do it would be impossible to access them in a unified way.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Something like that (probably a terrible example because Dishonored is flawless as it is) :

Don't be so quickly negative! That looks really damn good! And the way to implement that in games is by enabling GenericDepthPlugin, and then tweaking the SSAO values appropriately?

With this new method in mind, is there anyway to set custom SSAO values per game?

robgrab

Flashback (2013)
I found a code for taking HUDless screenshots.
Code:
injectPSHash 7d499fe6
injectDelayAfterDraw true

15370686781_8742cd1830_o_d.png

HUDless
15187098009_d8cf01c213_o_d.png

I've been having a problem with keybindings with the latest update, for example setNextScaling, toggleHUD, toggleAA no longer work while the others work fine. Also, my GeDoSaTo.ini file has my scaling set to lanczos and AA off but when I toggle information it shows bicubic scaling with FXAA and I can't change it. Any ideas how to fix this?

Top Bottom