• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_miy1znCt7v1qig4sno1_500.jpg

What is this Raidou from?

BadWolf

Opened Jigen and messed around a little. My first Revoltech and gotta say, I'm very impressed. The sculpt is really nice and captures the show's style well.

He poses really well as well, a ton of possibilities and he looks really good in them. He can also easily stand on his own without the stand. The Revoltech joints seem like very solid work.

Makes me even more excited for the upcoming Naked Snake and hopeful that they do Raiden and other characters.

Gonna mess with the accessories a little and then open up Lupin.

LiK

I've been looking for a Mario figure that was in scale with the Nendo Sonic. If you guys know, let me know.

Aw, I love the nintendo kubricks. We've got the Zelda WW set, some of the Four Swords set, and the Mario vs. Donkey Kong set. My only gripe about them is how they all fall over at the slightest bump.

These toads are top heavy crazy. They're K'nex brand, I didn't know there are Zelda kubricks, though. If they're scale size with these I might add a regular Link

So, um. Why do you guys collect things? What benefit do you get from doing it?

Honest question.

Same reason people collect records, or stamps, or wads of bubble gum

Personal enjoyment, an interest in showing you're part of the fandom, space fillers, etc.

Hot Toys 1/6 Expendables Barney Ross 2.0!

558089_10151291825307344_719522345_n.jpg

555319_10151291825377344_161057554_n.jpg

318206_10151291825597344_1039495445_n.jpg

541453_10151291825902344_1536576873_n.jpg

165993_10151291825852344_768508772_n.jpg

554928_10151291826027344_231806012_n.jpg

382174_10151291826072344_1022904869_n.jpg

11507_10151291826407344_1228433971_n.jpg

Good load of accessories and two outfits. Gonna have to buy extra head + body for it if I do.

On the other hand I am tempted to collect the Django Unchained stuff. Very difficult decisions

How do you even buy something off the Hot Toys site? I must be blind/stupid or something because I don't see a buy button anywhere :S

cajunator

Banned
So, um. Why do you guys collect things? What benefit do you get from doing it?

Honest question.

Because life is stressful and collecting cute things takes my mind off work and keeps me happy.
Also, its fun and you can meet like-minded people who enjoy what you do. Theres no real downside to collecting that I can think of aside from the cost.

SUPARSTARX

How do you even buy something off the Hot Toys site? I must be blind/stupid or something because I don't see a buy button anywhere :S

You can preorder from Sideshow Collectibles, Hot Toys' U.S. official distributor
www.sideshowtoys.com

In addition there are other retail stores/sites that also carry stuff at slight discounts-- they also get them from Sideshow themselves but once in a while the price is right!
www.bigbadtoystore.com
www.alteregocomics.com

sky

9IUTlly.jpg

This Kureha seems to pop up often in peoples' collections.... so nice.
I wonder if there's any chance of a re-release, so I can get her at a decent price T_T

cajunator

Banned
I'd ask the same question to any collector of anything. It's just so... pointless.

Oh well, carry on I guess.

Its definitely not pointless or else not many people would do it.
We enjoy the tangibility of it. Acquiring new things with hard earned money gives a feeling of accomplishment if the goal is a specific item. Plus half the fun of having a collection is tracking down and finding rare items or different versions of something. not to mention the community aspect of like minded collectors, such as this thread.

SUPARSTARX

I'd ask the same question to any collector of anything. It's just so... pointless.

Does the perception change if the items are of lower or higher value? Just curious. There's hella people here on GAF that collect expensive sneakers! Why pay so much for something that will wear and tear after some usage or why buy them if they won't wear them right?

I collect a few vinyl records and buncha CDs of artists I really enjoy listening too! I'm normal!

There are much more pointless kind of collections out there. Hell, aside from my figure collection I have a collection of movie tickets, it's so stupid that I'm thinking of getting rid of them now.

The thing about figures is that they are essentially art. Some artist had to design and sculpt an original prototype, and then it gets massed produced for fanboys/girls like us. They're just so detailed (most of them are anyway) that they make great display pieces, and sometimes they have the ability to strike our nostalgia nerves.

meijiko

These toads are top heavy crazy. They're K'nex brand, I didn't know there are Zelda kubricks, though. If they're scale size with these I might add a regular Link

Oh, they look just like the kubricks, and I actually have some of the k'nex figures haha. I think the Zelda kubricks are actually quite a bit smaller, and like most Zelda stuff they're kind of crazy expensive nowadays.

cajunator

Banned
I really want to get yoko from alter but 300 bucks for it ?

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-MOE-0577-R022&page=top

I hope for a re-release =(

Buy now, regret never.

There are much more pointless kind of collections out there. Hell, aside from my figure collection I have a collection of movie tickets, it's so stupid that I'm thinking of getting rid of them now.

The thing about figures is that they are essentially art. Some artist had to design and sculpt an original prototype, and then it gets massed produced for fanboys/girls like us. They're just so detailed (most of them are anyway) that they make great display pieces, and sometimes they have the ability to strike our nostalgia nerves.

Exactly my view of figures. I buy them because they are very cute and the craftsmanship is often pretty impressive. They really are miniature sculptures and some of them look incredible. It takes a LOT of work to design one of them and I appreciate what the creators have to do.

Buy now, regret never.

Exactly my view of figures. I buy them because they are very cute and the craftsmanship is often pretty impressive. They really are miniature sculptures and some of them look incredible. It takes a LOT of work to design one of them and I appreciate what the creators have to do.

=( don't have the funds to justify that kind of purchase

meijiko

If you'd like to know, I have a rather large collection of Cardcaptor Sakura items that I've acquired not only because of love of the show and nostalgia, but also for the sake of documenting the huge amount of items that the franchise spawned. It's fascinating the variety of items I have and have seen, and I find new items all the time. The thrill of the hunt is also part of it, especially for collectors of older or rarer items.

A lot of people ask me the same question. Many of them spend a ridiculous amount of money on Alcohol and getting shitfaced. To me, that's pretty pointless, but in the end, it's their money, they can do what the hell they like with it.

Figures to me are no different to paintings outside of the medium used to present the art itself.

cajunator

Banned
A lot of people ask me the same question. Many of them spend a ridiculous amount of money on Alcohol and getting shitfaced. To me, that's pretty pointless, but in the end, it's their money, they can do what the hell they like with it.

Figures to me are no different to paintings outside of the medium used to present the art itself.

Figurines are beautiful things.

LiK

i'm weary about D-Arts. i got the Mega Man X one and the quality wasn't that great. gonna pass on Raidou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom