• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gen Z are addicted to games because they are so oppressed

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://amp.theguardian.com/games/a...real-reason-teens-are-addicted-to-video-games

If we want to know why many teens choose of their own free will to spend 10 or 20 hours a week playing games, rather than pathologising them, we ought to look around us.

Gen Z are the most closely monitored generation ever to be born. We criticise children and teenagers for not going outside – but at the same time we’re curtailing their freedoms and closing their spaces. Parents will reminisce about how they spent whole days outside, cycling the neighbourhood, but at the same time they’re treating their children’s smartphones like tracking devices, demanding regular check-ins, infiltrating their social media feeds and databasing their activities and friend groups. The pandemic may have abated, but it wasn’t just lockdowns that were keeping kids indoors.

The nightclub industry is in freefall. Teenagers can’t hang around in parks without arousing the suspicion of overprotective adults who have decided these rare recreational spaces belong to their toddlers alone; city squares and skate parks and pedestrian zones that were once public are now being insidiously privatised, monitored via CCTV and policed by private security guards.

No wonder then, that teens withdraw to online video game worlds, the last spaces they have left that remain unmediated by their parents or other authority figures – the last places where they are mostly beyond the reach of adult control. You can spend all day with your friends in Red Dead Redemption or Minecraft or Fortnite doing whatever you like, without being moved on or complained about, or having to spend £5 on a latte every 30 minutes. If you can’t access therapy, at least you can relax with comforting games such as Stardew Valley, Unpacking or Coffee Talk, or chat things through with your friends in-game. You can travel freely, and for free, in Elden Ring or Legend of Zelda; no elderly relatives can suddenly vote to restrict your access to the continent in Euro Truck Simulator.

.....end article

I guess we just ignore the obese, lazy bastards and the fact that so many online spaces are becoming over moderated/sanitised unless you share the common values. Hence the histrionics over twitter.

sendit

I guess we just ignore the obese, lazy bastards and the fact that so many online spaces are becoming over moderated/sanitised unless you share the common values. Hence the histrionics over twitter.
Snl Ramadan GIF by Saturday Night Live

GHG

Gold Member
or having to spend £5 on a latte every 30 minutes. If you can’t access therapy, at least you can relax with comforting games such as Stardew Valley, Unpacking or Coffee Talk, or chat things through with your friends in-game. You can travel freely, and for free, in Elden Ring or Legend of Zelda; no elderly relatives can suddenly vote to restrict your access to the continent in Euro Truck Simulator.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Is this a joke article?

Deerock71

Not me, I'm a Gen-Xer. I learned parenting from my parents. I'm a satellite parent, but my child almost refuses to venture outside his bedroom.

Sorry to inform the author, but I was playing 10-20 hours of video games each week in the 1980s. I had all the freedoms the author laments, and video games were still a major consumption of my time.

As a parent, I will tell you why kids are not "outside cycling" and such. The city is not designed for pedestrians or outdoor activities in general. I, as someone who has 40 years of cycling experience, do not feel safe riding around town. How is a teenager supposed to feel?

Society in general is much, much larger than when I was a kid. In my town, almost everyone knew everyone else by at least one or two degrees. Modern day, we don't even know our neighbour let alone most of the people on my street.

The world is quite literally less safe than in previous generations.

El Muerto

Most of the teens i know (nephews and their friends) they all want to do shit outside and play in Pokemon tournaments. I think the authors just needed money and wrote an article about their weird co-parented kid. Also building a weed-eater bike with my nephew and he's pretty excited.

Raven117

I mean, in concept, I get what they are saying. They have certainly identified a prevailing issue among Gen Z that is very unique to them.

They don't cite one source other than from their own mouth, that because of that issue, they are playing more video games.

Guilty_AI

i'd say a much bigger issue is that we're 100% connected all the time nowadays, and we're expected to be so.

Friends and family circles? We're always in contact with them in message groups. Work? At any moment someone can send you a message over anything. And many people will get angry if you don't answer immediatly.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Video games are addicting. Dopamine central.

Why would any of us go ride a bike when I can kill Messemer to get that sweet boner and euphoria feeling?

For the longest time we on the side of gaming have argued games aren’t addictive, but they are. Things get in the way to put in as much time as you could when you’re younger, but ultimately when the downtime hits most want to play games.

These kids have more downtime than ever, and a culture that doesn’t see video games as ultra nerdy anymore. You can go play a jrpg now, talk about it in school, and still get pussy.

The solution? Normalize bullying. That’ll get them back on track.

Filben

The city is not designed for pedestrians or outdoor activities in general. I, as someone who has 40 years of cycling experience, do not feel safe riding around town. How is a teenager supposed to feel?
This. I'm coming from a 10k people small town and it was relatively safe. Now I'm living in a 210k people city and cars are crazy; everyone's in a rush, cyclists and cars alike. The next biggest city with 1.4mio people has one cyclist killed every week. Too many cars in cities with an infrastructure not much different from 100 years ago; it's too crowded; bike roads are in a bad condition, too.

Ceadeus

Video games are addicting. Dopamine central.

Why would any of us go ride a bike when I can kill Messemer to get that sweet boner and euphoria feeling?

For the longest time we on the side of gaming have argued games aren’t addictive, but they are. Things get in the way to put in as much time as you could when you’re younger, but ultimately when the downtime hits most want to play games.

These kids have more downtime than ever, and a culture that doesn’t see video games as ultra nerdy anymore. You can go play a jrpg now, talk about it in school, and still get pussy.

The solution? Normalize bullying. That’ll get them back on track.
Sports get you all the dopamine you need and so much more. Video games end up being the best way to feel like shit, full of anxiety. There's nothing worse than being stand still for long period of time, looking at a screen.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Sports get you all the dopamine you need and so much more. Video games end up being the best way to feel like shit, full of anxiety. There's nothing worse than being stand still for long period of time, looking at a screen.
So all of gaf is depressed and anxiety ridden?

StereoVsn

This. I'm coming from a 10k people small town and it was relatively safe. Now I'm living in a 210k people city and cars are crazy; everyone's in a rush, cyclists and cars alike. The next biggest city with 1.4mio people has one cyclist killed every week. Too many cars in cities with an infrastructure not much different from 100 years ago; it's too crowded; bike roads are in a bad condition, too.
On the other hand you have cities like Copenhagen and Amsterdam that are designed for cycling and walkability.

Just came back from Europe a week ago, and man, what a shame we have such terribly laid out cities in North America (aside from very few).

Edit: forgot to mention that there were also a ton of kids outside.

Last edited:
Can't even look at a girl at the gym without ending up in a tiktok video calling you a creep.
Single women suck now. Playing outside sucks now. Can't even trust the drugs anymore cause of fentanyl.
It's better to just be a creep at home, going up and down the ladders in Stellar Blade over and over again.

Ceadeus

So all of gaf is depressed and anxiety ridden?
The topic is about these kids being addicted to it. I'm addicted if I feel like doing almost nothing else than playing video game. Procrastination could be a sign. I'm sure that, if you completely exclude physical exercise , healthy food, sunlight and socializing from your life, you'll end up depressed and anxious that's for sure.

The answer is always how do you keep a good balance between all this when you're young and have have no good adult model to lead the way.

I certainly was not talking about gaf members. It's out of the subject. Grown adults here, all living their life like they intend to. I'm not judging.

Sojiro

The authors are just pissed off that their local watering holes are closing.
Yeah I thought that little blurb stood oddly out of the overall article.

I have three kids and while none of them went out as much as I did when I was younger (I am 41 and would spend countless hours on my bike with friends probably getting into some shenanigans lol), it's not like they never go out, but things are definitely different. My youngest actually goes out and hangs out more with his friends than my two older kids did, but he is also more involved in physical sports so he meets with friends at a basketball or tennis court that are within walking distance to our house. My oldest really started to go out more once he could drive, which at that point having a vehicle makes a big difference than just staying home all the time.

I will say overall I feel like there are less kids playing outside, but I also don't know if it would have been too different when I was younger if there were big online games that all my friends would be playing together. Hell, a lot of us going out was going to a friend's house and playing games together via local multiplayer, we still played shit loads of games when I was younger too.

Last edited:

Killer8

You can travel freely, and for free, in Elden Ring or Legend of Zelda; no elderly relatives can suddenly vote to restrict your access to the continent in Euro Truck Simulator.

Yeah because a teenager was going to to go trucking in France before granny said Brexit means Brexit.

Get the fuck out you fucking twats.

Sushi_Combo

There's an interesting point now that many parents can see their kids phone location so it's easier to check in. It definitely can play a part in kids avoiding going to nightclubs/ bars to avoid being in trouble lol.

jcorb

Sorry to inform the author, but I was playing 10-20 hours of video games each week in the 1980s. I had all the freedoms the author laments, and video games were still a major consumption of my time.

As a parent, I will tell you why kids are not "outside cycling" and such. The city is not designed for pedestrians or outdoor activities in general. I, as someone who has 40 years of cycling experience, do not feel safe riding around town. How is a teenager supposed to feel?

Society in general is much, much larger than when I was a kid. In my town, almost everyone knew everyone else by at least one or two degrees. Modern day, we don't even know our neighbour let alone most of the people on my street.

The world is quite literally less safe than in previous generations.

I think there's more to it than that, though. There's *nothing to do for free* anymore. When I was a kid, my friend lived on the same street as me, so we could ride our bikes to a nearby park, or if either of our parents went into town, we could go to the mall where there was always a ton to do (the food court would usually have kids playing Pokemon on Saturdays, so opportunities to trade and just meet other kids).

As an adult, I went for a drive a few weeks ago just wanting to clear my head, and was racking my brain about where to even *go*. I literally ended up just driving around, because there's no place to go that's free. I couldn't imagine being a kid today.

It was always something I remember seeing about living in small towns growing up; if kids don't have stuff to actually do, *that's* when they wind up getting into serious trouble. I feel like people severely underestimate the importance of parks or community events. I'm not religious, but I've even considered starting to go to church, because my friends that do seem to actually get a sense of community.

Barakov

Source: https://amp.theguardian.com/games/a...real-reason-teens-are-addicted-to-video-games

If we want to know why many teens choose of their own free will to spend 10 or 20 hours a week playing games, rather than pathologising them, we ought to look around us.

Gen Z are the most closely monitored generation ever to be born. We criticise children and teenagers for not going outside – but at the same time we’re curtailing their freedoms and closing their spaces. Parents will reminisce about how they spent whole days outside, cycling the neighbourhood, but at the same time they’re treating their children’s smartphones like tracking devices, demanding regular check-ins, infiltrating their social media feeds and databasing their activities and friend groups. The pandemic may have abated, but it wasn’t just lockdowns that were keeping kids indoors.

The nightclub industry is in freefall. Teenagers can’t hang around in parks without arousing the suspicion of overprotective adults who have decided these rare recreational spaces belong to their toddlers alone; city squares and skate parks and pedestrian zones that were once public are now being insidiously privatised, monitored via CCTV and policed by private security guards.

No wonder then, that teens withdraw to online video game worlds, the last spaces they have left that remain unmediated by their parents or other authority figures – the last places where they are mostly beyond the reach of adult control. You can spend all day with your friends in Red Dead Redemption or Minecraft or Fortnite doing whatever you like, without being moved on or complained about, or having to spend £5 on a latte every 30 minutes. If you can’t access therapy, at least you can relax with comforting games such as Stardew Valley, Unpacking or Coffee Talk, or chat things through with your friends in-game. You can travel freely, and for free, in Elden Ring or Legend of Zelda; no elderly relatives can suddenly vote to restrict your access to the continent in Euro Truck Simulator.

.....end article

Reads like an article from 2022.

recursive

Im curious what the gaf parents are teaching their kids to play. Outside only? Free will? Guiding them?
My son plays soccer year round (school and club), gets some time at the green with his buddies playing golf, and gets his 20 hrs a week in Rust. I do think he might feel oppressed when I ask him do the dishes though.

I played a ton of sports outside with the other kids when I was also a kid myself. We'd play street hockey, baseball, football, soccer you name it but I also played a lot of video games. Actually, gaming has been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember, I've always been passionate about them but it's all about balance. Now I'm 40 years old with a career like most but I also have a girlfriend (going on our 13th year), I play guitar and I compete in pocket billiards. I still love video games as much as day 1 but it can't be just that for me.

Top Bottom