• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gen Z are addicted to games because they are so oppressed

Ceadeus

Ya know what, in retrospect, I completely understand your self loathing. Continue on the path my friend :D
I can totally understand the medium being inspirational and I'm glad it had good use for you and your daughter. I suppose my previous posts were not defined enough. I was specifically thinking about Gen Z who get addicted to it. To the point it gets uncontrollable and toxic. It's even so much worse with the trend being GaaS. It's the perfect formula to get these people into a monthly subscription. Login in daily in fear of missing out timed contents. This practice is so perfectly profitable to these companies but how healthy is it for the players? The most popular games are carefully crafted and developed with the intention of being played the way it was considered. Long term commitment and profitability. The thing has to be god damn addicting. Making sure you'll login daily unless you don't care missing out.

A bit further I said, all of this depends on your lifestyle. Also how well these kids monitorized by parents.

I'm just saying there are definitely some less fortunate young people who have no one to tell them that moderation could be better. I mean, it goes the same for drugs and alcohol , in my opinion though.

Edit: I'll just add that games are not street fighter anymore. It's like comparing the 70s marijuana to 2024 marijuana. Games today are quite a commitment. Literally dopamine bombs. I speak to kids at my job, they can talk gaming all day long but they can hardly stand straight and look me in the eyes.

Last edited:

SHA

Gen "Trash" are "insert any shitty things you don't like"

Also Gen "Trash" 've figured the secret to life longevity cause they never lie to their true instincts for whatever reason, it doesn't matter to them.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I can totally understand the medium being inspirational and I'm glad it had good use for you and your daughter. I suppose my previous posts were not defined enough. I was specifically thinking about Gen Z who get addicted to it. To the point it gets uncontrollable and toxic. It's even so much worse with the trend being GaaS. It's the perfect formula to get these people into a monthly subscription. Login in daily in fear of missing out timed contents. This practice is so perfectly profitable to these companies but how healthy is it for the players? The most popular games are carefully crafted and developed with the intention of being played the way it was considered. Long term commitment and profitability. The thing has to be god damn addicting. Making sure you'll login daily unless you don't care missing out.

A bit further I said, all of this depends on your lifestyle. Also how well these kids monitorized by parents.

I'm just saying there are definitely some less fortunate young people who have no one to tell them that moderation could be better. I mean, it goes the same for drugs and alcohol , in my opinion though.

Edit: I'll just add that games are not street fighter anymore. It's like comparing the 70s marijuana to 2024 marijuana. Games today are quite a commitment. Literally dopamine bombs. I speak to kids at my job, they can talk gaming all day long but they can hardly stand straight and look me in the eyes.
Hey man, I definitely get all that and agree with everything here. Games today are not what they were, and as such I don't allow my daughter to partake of those types of games. We don't do micro transactions inside out home except for the extremely rare Minecraft expansion that I'll buy for her, but all that free to play daily login addiction crap I keep her well away from. I get what you're saying bro, and I completely agree. Things have definitely changed for the worse in the industry, and I hate that kind of stuff. Games weren't like that when we were kids, and we don't partake of the medium in that manner, so I guess I often forget about that aspect of it all ya know? Good on you for looking out for kids at your work :)

StueyDuck

One aspect In these conversations that never gets touched on is the fact that crime is skyrocketing as well as extreme drug use with killer narcotics like fentanyl.

Most boomers got to ride their bikes to school and be kids who did outside stuff, where they all could meet up at the social and order shakes and burgers or whatever.

Even as an adult today in many parts of the world, just walking around by yourself is a potential risk and most people carry some form of protection If you do.

Last edited:

Lucumo

Great times, their little arms could fit between machinery to clear jams.
Yep, children are pretty useful.

gonnablow.png

A2una1

Not me, I'm a Gen-Xer. I learned parenting from my parents. I'm a satellite parent, but my child almost refuses to venture outside his bedroom.
Yeah because, most of their friends are the same. Say you are a kid and want to do more stuff outside, you are most likely to do this by yourself. And this is a lot less fun, then back when we were kids with a lot of friends around doing the same.

Last edited:

th4tguy

Sorry to inform the author, but I was playing 10-20 hours of video games each week in the 1980s. I had all the freedoms the author laments, and video games were still a major consumption of my time.

As a parent, I will tell you why kids are not "outside cycling" and such. The city is not designed for pedestrians or outdoor activities in general. I, as someone who has 40 years of cycling experience, do not feel safe riding around town. How is a teenager supposed to feel?

Society in general is much, much larger than when I was a kid. In my town, almost everyone knew everyone else by at least one or two degrees. Modern day, we don't even know our neighbour let alone most of the people on my street.

The world is quite literally less safe than in previous generations.
Statistically speaking. The world is the safest it’s ever been in human history. It feels less safe because of media and the point you made about local communities being broken/ people not knowing their neighbors.

Our first house, we only knew the neighbors to our left for the 8 years we lived there. When my oldest was about to start school, we moved to a better town closer to my work and made a point to “know the neighbors”. It made a huge difference. The kids are out and about with each other every day. We get together for drinks in the culdesac. Have holiday parties.
Social media and internet is more responsible for the breakdown of our communities.

Top Bottom