• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact studio's new action RPG Zenless Zone Zero officially confirmed to be a PlayStation console exclusive

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
After launching last week for mobile, PC, and PS5 players, it appears that HoYoverse's new free-to-play action RPG Zenless Zone Zero won't be coming to any other consoles.

With 50 million Zenless Zone Zero downloads in just a few days, it's safe to say that Genshin Impact studio HoYoverse has released yet another free-to-play banger. Android, iOS, PC, and PS5 users have had access to the urban-themed action RPG since it dropped on July 4 - and it now looks like Zenless Zone Zero will remain on just those platforms for a good while as a new release trailer for the game from Sony reveals that it's a PlayStation console exclusive.

The trailer features vibrant footage of Zenless Zone Zero and its quirky cast of anime-esque characters in action, but it's what's at the end of the video that catches the eye - a message announcing the game as a "PlayStation 5 console exclusive" that's also "available on PC and mobile." Sony's note here also specifies that the PS5 exclusivity isn't necessarily permanent, but rather means that Zenless Zone Zero won't come to other consoles "until at least 6 months after release date."
RET22M6.png

I'm personally not holding my breath for any future Zenless Zone Zero launch on Xbox or otherwise myself, though, as the Genshin and Honkai Star Rail developer's previous games are also only available on mobile, PC, and PlayStation platforms to date - and those titles, including both Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail, have already been out for far longer than just six months.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

I wonder why no Switch version though? Is it not capable of running these games?
A while ago they said they would be releasing Genshin Impact on the Switch, but they never did. It seems they are unable to port it due to technical reasons. That said, I do expect all three games from the Hoyoverse devs (e.g. Genshin, Star Rail and Zoneless Zone Zero) to make their way to Nintendo Switch 2.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Why? Game is a mobile game. Nothing value is lost here. These xbox users can simply use their phone or pc to play the game.
Phil told to Hoyo CEO after the Genshin pitch.

It’s okay if it’s not for you, but it’s a substantial get for the library.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Why? Game is a mobile game. Nothing value is lost here. These xbox users can simply use their phone or pc to play the game.
Phil & co had first dibs at Genshin Impact, but botched the deal and miHoYo then went to Sony.

In 2019, Sony partnered miHoYo, a little-known studio which was developing "Genshin Impact". The game - a global hit when it was released a year later - is available for personal computers and handheld devices, but the console version is exclusively on PlayStation.

Microsoft regretted missing out on "Genshin Impact", two people familiar with the matter said. It spoke to miHoYo early in the game's development but did not reach a deal, one of them said. The other person said the experience is the driving force behind Microsoft's more active pursuit of Chinese developers.

"Picking up 'Genshin Impact' made Sony a lot of money," the second person said, declining to be identified because the information was not public.

Felessan

Banned
I've heard this story many times now. Phil is the best CEO for Sony, no doubt.
Almost all other similar games follow the suit with PS console exclusivity (like ToF, Wuthering Waves, Arknight Endfield, Project Mugen etc)
Part of the reason is that main target audience for these games are Asia and xbox simply does not exist there, making it easy for Sony

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
It's a bit late, the game released a week ago. What's the point in a launch trailer now?

The marketing guys at Sony are just slightly less dumb than the ones at MS. I gave up on making any sense of their actions.

"PS exclusive publisher remains PS exclusive" is clickbait. It exists only to incite console war bullshit.

There have been some quotes from Mihoyo on porting their games to other consoles. This was not official at all.

Skifi28

Almost all other similar games follow the suit with PS console exclusivity (like ToF, Wuthering Waves, Arknight Endfield, Project Mugen etc)
Part of the reason is that main target audience for these games are Asia and xbox simply does not exist there, making it easy for Sony
I wasn't talking just about that. Spiderman was also nearly an MS game until Phil botched it and went to Sony. It's ironic that some of Sony's biggest money-makers were MS deals that fell through.

Aion002

Gold Member
Has ANY of their games come to another console other than PS? No? Then this is clickbait.
They announced a switch version of Genshin Impact, but it was never released, probably due to hardware limitations, the game is poorly optimized on ps4 for example.

They will probably release Genshin, Star Rail and ZZZ on Switch 2.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Spiderman was also nearly an MS game until Phil botched it and went to Sony.

I know GAF loves to shit on Phil, but he wasn't running Xbox when Marvel offered them an exclusive game (and it wasn't Spider-Man, it was any character they wanted; Insomniac picked Spider-Man).

The regime running Xbox at the time was previously burned with a Marvel exclusive on the first Xbox when Cryptic Studios was developing a Marvel MMO until Marvel fucked everything up. The game was cancelled on Xbox and Cryptic took the code and engine and turned it into Champions Online on the PC.

It's a bit late, the game released a week ago. What's the point in a launch trailer now?
i am impressed at how this company is building their IPs. Maybe Sony and Mihoyo have bigger plans for the future; bundles, concerts, animes etc... clearly this is a marketing push from Sony to increse it's association with this the game and Mihoyo.

I know GAF loves to shit on Phil, but he wasn't running Xbox when Marvel offered them an exclusive game (and it wasn't Spider-Man, it was any character they wanted; Insomniac picked Spider-Man).

The regime running Xbox at the time was previously burned with a Marvel exclusive on the first Xbox when Cryptic Studios was developing a Marvel MMO until Marvel fucked everything up. The game was cancelled on Xbox and Cryptic took the code and engine and turned it into Champions Online on the PC.
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

ManaByte

Gold Member
i am impressed at how this company is building their IPs. Maybe Sony and Mihoyo have bigger plans for the future; bundles, concerts, animes etc... clearly this is a marketing push from Sony to increse it's association with this the game and Mihoyo.

The only plans Mihoyo has is more Waifu Gacha to harpoon the whales with.

Hell one person here spent TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS on ZZZ the first day it was out.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. I’ll do things quickly on my phone but I wouldn’t even bother playing the game that way. No idea how people enjoy playing games on their phone exclusively. For a quick session when you’re out? Ok I get it. The only way to play a game? No thanks. I legitimately wouldn’t even bother gaming anymore if phones were the only way.

Topher

Gold Member

Jay Ong was hired by Marvel in May 2014 and he was the guy Marvel wanted to find a publisher for the game that eventually went to Sony.

"Hired as Marvel's vice president of games in May 2014, Jay Ong's first challenge was to discover why Marvel's box office success hadn't translated to games."

"Being from console first-party in my past, I pinged both sides, both Xbox and PlayStation, and said, "We don't have any big console deals with anyone right now. What would you like to do?" Microsoft's strategy was to focus on their own IP. They passed."
-The Ultimate History of Video Games, Volume 2

Phil Spencer was promoted to head of Xbox in March 2014.

"Microsoft has announced Phil Spencer is the new Head of Xbox, taking over from the recently departed Marc Whitten, who served as Xbox corporate VP."
-March 31, 2014.

So we don't know exactly when Jay Ong went to Microsoft, but Phil Spencer was definitely running Xbox.

Perrott

Launch trailers are usually produced in order to be easily re-cut into TV commercials, social media and YouTube ads, etc.

So now that Zenless Zone Zero has actually enjoyed a healthy launch without severe stability issues or other problems along those lines (unlike GTA Online or Red Dead Online back in the day, for instance), then its probably now when they'd want to ramp up marketing for the game throughout the next few weeks after launch.

These live-service phenomenons usually don't reach their peak on day one or even during week one, but in their second and sometimes even third weeks on the market as word of mouth between gamers results in more and more people getting into the game.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jay Ong was hired by Marvel in May 2014 and he was the guy Marvel wanted to find a publisher for the game that eventually went to Sony.

"Hired as Marvel's vice president of games in May 2014, Jay Ong's first challenge was to discover why Marvel's box office success hadn't translated to games."

"Being from console first-party in my past, I pinged both sides, both Xbox and PlayStation, and said, "We don't have any big console deals with anyone right now. What would you like to do?" Microsoft's strategy was to focus on their own IP. They passed."
-The Ultimate History of Video Games, Volume 2

Phil Spencer was promoted to head of Xbox in March 2014.

"Microsoft has announced Phil Spencer is the new Head of Xbox, taking over from the recently departed Marc Whitten, who served as Xbox corporate VP."
-March 31, 2014.

So we don't know exactly when Jay Ong went to Microsoft, but Phil Spencer was definitely running Xbox.
It is never Teflon Phil’s fault ;).

LakeOf9

Great game, and very interesting that Sony secures these big gachas as exclusive for PS5. I think these will be the big games the next generation of gamers grows up on, so it makes sense

I don't know if it ever comes to Xbox since Xbox doesn't seem to have an audience for games like this, but I can maybe see a version on Switch 2 some years down the line.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
The only plans Mihoyo has is more Waifu Gacha to harpoon the whales with.

Many wrongs in one sentence.

- The bulk of the money is not made by whales.

- Half the player base is female. So no, it's not about waifus. In fact, their only game with mature content is a visual novel for women.

- They have expansion plans from a nuclear plant (a real nuclear plant) to expanding their IPs to anime/collabs, etc. Pretty much like Pokemon.

It's a massive failure for Phil Spencer that he couldn't strike a partnership with the fastest-growing studio in the world right now.

hemo memo

Gold Member
"Also available on PC and mobile." PC it’s.

The 3 people interested in an anime style action JRPG on Xbox can play it on PC or mobile or wait 6 months.

This isn’t much a console EXCLUSIVE as much as “Hey Sony it’s not worth it to port this game to Xbox right away, give us money and you can say exclusive for 6 months” kinda deal.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

"Also available on PC and mobile." PC it’s.

The 3 people interested in an anime style action JRPG on Xbox can play it on PC or mobile.

This isn’t much a console EXCLUSIVE as much as “Hey Sony it’s not worth it to port this game to Xbox, give us money and you can say exclusive” kinda deal.
Epic store exclusive?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
The number of obviously paid for disingenuous shills I see for this game on IG marketing it as if they've played or are playing the game is truly annoying

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Christ I'm getting old, WTF did I just watch?
Amounts of tits and ass that shouldn't be possible.

Fuck. Is it?
It's not. Game has it's own client.

I tried it last night. It's really not anything special. I think you could pick up a $10 copy of Scarlet Nexus and get a better experience personally. Visuals are nice for a f2p game I guess.
I think it's fine for a F2P game. I've played P2P games with worse combat and feedback than this one, that's for sure.

Game seems to be a bit shallow and super-easy tho, but I want to play a bit more before considering that a fact.

edit: still have to play Scarlet Nexus, is it good?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I think it's fine for a F2P game. I've played P2P games with worse combat and feedback than this one, that's for sure.

Game seems to be a bit shallow and super-easy tho, but I want to play a bit more before considering that a fact.

edit: still have to play Scarlet Nexus, is it good?
If you're having fun with it then go for it. Can't beat free. I dont have anything against this game. I think its a bit overhyped personally but what you get for zero money is a polished package that will obviously appeal to anime fans.

Scarlet Nexus I just played for a few hours. Still need to put more time in it. Just kind a average combat RPG with nice anime visuals. I didnt stick around long enough to give it a full assessment but I liked it enough to buy it on sale for later.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Many wrongs in one sentence.

- The bulk of the money is not made by whales.

- Half the player base is female. So no, it's not about waifus. In fact, their only game with mature content is a visual novel for women.

- They have expansion plans from a nuclear plant (a real nuclear plant) to expanding their IPs to anime/collabs, etc. Pretty much like Pokemon.

It's a massive failure for Phil Spencer that he couldn't strike a partnership with the fastest-growing studio in the world right now.
I feel like you're talking to walls here my man, since these guys will glance over what you say and conveniently 'forget it' the next time a HoYoVerse thread pops up here on GAF. They'll just repeat the same nonsense.

I've seen it multiple times, including from that annoying 'waifu bait' guy (not manabyte) who always leaves a drive-by dumb comment. They consistently act in bad faith, and when you call them out on their BS, they'll just ignore you.

Last edited:

Not even joking but I was shocked at how many women play Genshin. My wife had like three women she saw playing the game at her job. She only recognized it because I always play it. They all started asking me about what characters I have and all that. My wife got annoyed by it and told them I stopped playing.

Top Bottom