• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gentlemen of GAF, teach me about shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
I've grown up wearing sneakers and skate shoes, a pair of flip flop here and there. But something important is coming up and I want to dress appropriately. (I have a pair of dress shoes for wedding, church, etc) but I need something more business casual.

I'll be meeting some people, and going to a really nice place for dinner.

Preferably black in color, cause black goes with a lot of stuff. It's not a suit and tie event.

Edit: if you guys can post an example with a name, it would be pretty helpful.

I heard of this thing called chukka boots that looks pretty business casual.

DOWN

Banned
Loafers are disgusting, boat shoes are a close second, please wear socks, not the dorky kind with neon colors, stripes, or pictures that people call their 'fun socks'

udiie

get some clarks shadow (desert boot)
img64416444.jpg

NEO0MJ

Personally I've grown fond of Hush Puppies. Comfy to wear and fair priced. Florsheim is also pretty good.

Great thread OP and i'm just like you, sneakers, skate shoes and thongs are all i've been rocking. I have a fancy event coming up in a couple of weeks and also need to buy some shoes of a similar nature. Would be interested to see peoples responses. Currenly my best pair of dress shoes are some nice Colorados as i'm not into pointy shoes. This is the only dressy pair of shoes I have (exactly like the ones in pic) and because I wear them to work 5 days a week I need something exclusively for going out:

TRV4Auu.png

I love them and they are really comfortable and if nothing else I will buy another pair.

Shadownet

Banned
I'll keep that one in mind tomorrow when I go shopping.

Trying not to spend like $80 on a pair shoes however. Unless its really worth it.

I've seen some business casual shoes with white rims like the skater shoes. Are those appropriate?

Something similar to this.

udiie

I've seen some business casual shoes with white rims like the skater shoes. Are those appropriate?

1367268328819.gif

i got my desert boots for 65 bucks canadian
you should be able to grab a pair for like 2 dollars if thats any indication

BUT go with the Bushacre II (rubber soles that last nicer but otherwise identical shoe to standard desert boot)
ah yes, good point
my bushacre II have held up way better than my desert boots

I'll keep that one in mind tomorrow when I go shopping.

Trying not to spend like $80 on a pair shoes however. Unless its really worth it.

those are sneakers?

and if you want nice dress shoes, to be honest, it's going to be more than $80. much more. them's the breaks, really. on the plus side, little has changed in terms of a simple derby or captoe being accepted in formalwear for the last 50+ years so you are going to be relatively trend immune.

edit: oh you edited extra info into the OP. well, what kind of restaurant is this? most people don't 'dress up' on the job outside of specific work functions so I'd probably stick with a simple suede clark or whatever. just, uh, keep them clean. dirty beat up clarks have their place but not what you're describing.

Shadownet

Banned
if you're going to a really nice place for dinner and schmoozing with the uppers, just wear your nice dress-church shoes?
Maybe its the pair I have but their not the most comfortable thing if I have to be on my feet and walking around mingling for 3-4 hours.

Great thread OP and i'm just like you, sneakers, skate shoes and thongs are all i've been rocking. I have a fancy event coming up in a couple of weeks and also need to buy some shoes of a similar nature. Would be interested to see peoples responses. Currenly my best pair of dress shoes are some nice Colorados as i'm not into pointy shoes. This is the only dressy pair of shoes I have (exactly like the ones in pic) and because I wear them to work 5 days a week I need something exclusively for going out:

I love them and they are really comfortable and if nothing else I will buy another pair.
I have something similar like that for work, its pretty comfortable but a bit too plain for anything else.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'd go out on a limb to say these are not business casual, but casual.

Depends on the business I guess, but unless he is working on Wall Street, those boots are pretty business casual.

I mean look at this kid:

That is the definition of business casual.

They are literally deliberately designed to look like bindle-carrying hobo shoes.

Those are a well worn pair, not brand new.

Friends don't let friends buy squared toed shoes.

Get sized properly. Your gym shoe size is different than your dress shoe size.

Dark brown shoes are much more versatile than black shoes, which are only necessary for weddings and funerals.

Oxfords or balmorals with a welt and leather sole are proper 'dress' shoes.

Shadownet

Banned
Also, black or dark brown? I don't think I've ever own a pair of brown shoes before. How well do they go with attire?

I'll probably be dressing like this (black instead of cream color pants) + a coat cause its cold as heck right now.
Business-Casual.jpg

What this guy has on isn't bad. I like the style of the shoes.

DOWN

Banned
Also, black or dark brown? I don't think I've ever own a pair of brown shoes before. How well do they go with attire?

I'll probably be dressing like this + a coat cause its cold as heck right now.
Business-Casual.jpg

I much prefer dark brown for business casual. Just copy what James Bond wears in Quantum of Solace's casual scenes.

I'll probably be dressing like this (black instead of cream color pants) + a coat cause its cold as heck right now.
Business-Casual.jpg

black vs brown depends on what you wear. if you dress like the image i'm quoting you should be wearing brown much more than black.

Business-Casual.jpg

The picture is blurry on my phone but they look like a suede wing tip blucher with a rubber sole. Google 'Alden Suede Long Wing Blucher' to see a high-end shoe made with a classic shape. Also, Don't get big ugly gym shoe soles like the ones in the picture. Dainite or similar slim rubber soles are much better.

The picture is blurry on my phone but they look like a suede wing tip blucher with a rubber sole. Google 'Alden Suede Long Wing Blucher' to see a high-end shoe made with a classic shape. Also, Don't get big ugly gym shoe soles like the ones in the picture. Dainite or similar slim rubber soles are much better.
meermin makes a pretty nice dainite longwing, price is nice too. skews a little more formal than clarks etc but this is a pretty flexible shoe

tumblr_inline_n82n0hk8SD1sf4liu.jpg

https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4612#

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Just get whatever you like and whatever feels comfortable. If you buy shoes based on others opinions and tastes I guarantee you will end up with shoes you hate.
Go to the store. Put them on.

luffxan

If you're looking for something relatively cheap and still a good business casual I would recommend something from Apt. 9
They make a lot of shoes on the cheaper side of things that still look fairly nice.

shopping

Buy Here

If you're looking for something relatively cheap and still a good business casual I would recommend something from Apt. 9
They make a lot of shoes on the cheaper side of things that still look fairly nice.

shopping

Buy Here
these look like sneakers; not something I would wear to an important dinner at a nice restaurant where I am meeting people (who are probably important).

Glasshole

Banned
He looks amazing, check yourself

nhxHeoj.jpg

Mhkay. So you would recommend because Daniel Craig can pull off these pants in what was it, Columbia, everybody should try them for a business casual look? Wouldn't advise.

Just get whatever you like and whatever feels comfortable. If you buy shoes based on others opinions and tastes I guarantee you will end up with shoes you hate.
Go to the store. Put them on.

This man speaks the truth.

(On a sidenote, I'm always fascinated how everything in America has a name. Want a shoe? "Dude get the Walkinator III it's awesome"
My shoe is from a good brand in Europe and it doesn't have a name. It's got a product number.)

(On a sidenote, I'm always fascinated how everything in America has a name. Want a shoe? "Dude get the Walkinator III it's awesome"
My shoe is from a good brand in Europe and it doesn't have a name. It's got a product number.)
wut? 'longwings' and 'desert boot' are types of shoes or features to describe specific features of shoes.

udiie

i mean, you cant expect the average joe to remember that he should buy the 55503-ner

DOWN

Banned
It isn't, and I don't get my fashion tips from movies LOL

I don't recommend your "pick fashion from this google image result method," you are disregarding one of the highest paid styling teams in filmmaking, and you don't know a well-dressed man when you see it but thanks anyway

you don't even know what to call your shoes so that explains the google first impression

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Clark's desert boots are a good starting point.

FdKpTaU.png

Bought these exact shoes about a year and a half ago and dare I say they're my favorite shoe purchase I've ever made.

Usually by the time they start looking like that though, I use this stuff on it and the leather's looking (almost) good as new. I kind of like the casual look of when they're worn out like that though.

Also, when they're new, or restored with stuff like what I linked to, they're definitely suitable for business casual.

Glasshole

Banned
I don't recommend your "pick fashion from this google image result method," you are disregarding one of the highest paid styling teams in filmmaking, and you don't know a well-dressed man when you see it but thanks anyway

you don't even know what to call your shoes so that explains the google first impression

You wouldn't know irony if it punched you in the face, because "OP I googled this for you" wasn't enough of a hint. I will say though that I was pleasantly surprised with the result.
Why did I post the google link? Because finding casual shoes is really, really not that hard imo.

But you keep doing you. I'll draw my inspiration from somewhere else than the silver screen. Boy will you miss out if you fixate on Tom Ford suits.

read my edit... still not sure what you're talking about..

edit: lots of european and uk companies name their shoe models. it's not an american thing.

Eh, maybe I didn't look close enough. I never take the box with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom