• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George RR Martin's latest blog post has broken me.

Never read the books. I'm still waiting on Pat Rothfuss.

I care 1000x more about the final Kingkiller book being finished than I ever will about Game of Thrones. GOT was the second series I read after coming back to books behind the Witcher so it will always have a place in my heart but it's not that amazing a story. Maybe my memories and love for the thing are tarnished by the series but I really couldn't care all that much anymore I do not trust that the books will be finished.

ikbalCO

Isn't him being late actually a good thing?

him revising and rewriting mean we may be getting a vastly different ending than the show imo which i whole heartidly support.

Hope there is nothing in common between the shows end and the books end so that we get a remake if the last season with the same cast.

Glad none of the cast got too big to refuse a remake huh :)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The extent to which he doesn't seem to care about finishing it is truly bizarre. I'd be itching to get it done with.

He is such a talented prose writer.

I don't think it's because he doesn't care.

It's because he can't do it, but doesn't want to admit it to anyone.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Isn't him being late actually a good thing?

him revising and rewriting mean we may be getting a vastly different ending than the show imo which i whole heartidly support.

Hope there is nothing in common between the shows end and the books end so that we get a remake if the last season with the same cast.

Glad none of the cast got too big to refuse a remake huh :)

He's already said the ending of ASOIAF will different to how the show ended. Which makes sense considering some very major characters (Lady Stoneheart and "Young Griff" for example) never made it into the show.

I also refuse to believe the books will end with "Bran the broken". That was so fucking dumb.

Ionian

They should end with Daenerys ruling as one and true queen.

Lady Stoneheart on the throne with the white walkers as her army. Could hook her up with the Night King and together they slay everyone, ravage the lands.

A few people survive, hence why the last book is called "A Dream of Spring".

Then Penny and Tyrion save the day but everyone is dead. It's up to them to repopulate with the help of the children of the forrest.

Last edited:

Komatsu

We will get Winds of Winder and A Dream of Spring. If not by his hand, then by someone else the publisher Bantam Spectra (Random House) will deputize to do so.

And when it comes out, it will sell gangbusters. As a fan of 20 years, I am as frustrated with the show as anyone else, but let’s not pretend that “nobody cares anymore”. The moment TWOW hits the shelves, it will be one of the top 10 fantasy novel releases of all time. I wouldn’t be surprised it topples the last Potter book off its perch.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Fighting down my Wheel of Time PTSD from Robert Jordan dying right before the last books

10 years to write 75% of one book, another full book to go...74 year old morbidly obese man...It's going to happen again, isn't it...

Ionian

We will get Winds of Winder and A Dream of Spring. If not by his hand, then by someone else the publisher Bantam Spectra (Random House) will deputize to do so.

And when it comes out, it will sell gangbusters. As a fan of 20 years, I am as frustrated with the show as anyone else, but let’s not pretend that “nobody cares anymore”. The moment TWOW hits the shelves, it will be one of the top 10 fantasy novel releases of all time. I wouldn’t be surprised it topples the last Potter book off its perch.

He's said no but I imagine there will be loads of fan versions, with fans settling on one. Then it will be over.

There's no way it comes from him. Personally, I don't even care, have long lost hope.

Be hilarious if they got D&D to do it. Fans would lose their minds. Would be a true epic ending.

EDIT: Oh and his books went to shite after the 3rd, 'A Storm of Swords', so could be a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:
He's said no but I imagine there will be loads of fan versions, with fans settling on one. Then it will be over.

There's no way it comes from him. Personally, I don't even care, have long lost hope.

Be hilarious if they got D&D to do it. Fans would lose their minds. Would be a true epic ending.

EDIT: Oh and his books went to shite after the 3rd, 'A Storm of Swords', so could be a blessing in disguise.
If he doesn’t do it I’m not interested. In such a case it would no longer be a man’s artistic vision. Its committee storytelling.

The books went downhill but are still better than 99% of fantasy.

Last edited:

Ionian

If he doesn’t do it I’m not interested. In such a case it would no longer be a man’s artistic vision. Its committee storytelling.

The books went downhill but are still better than 99% of fantasy.

Ah i'm the same, not sure i'm even bothered if he does. I'm curious sure but I'm not wetting myself in anticipation after the last 2 books. Only good thing about the TV shows ending was at least we got one.

Komatsu

I mean, he can say whatever he wants, but he is contracted by Penguin Random House - the largest publishing conglomerate in the world - to deliver 7 books and if he can't, they'll eventually convince his estate to accept someone else.

Ionian

I mean, he can say whatever he wants, but he is contracted by Penguin Random House - the largest publishing conglomerate in the world - to deliver 7 books and if he can't, they'll eventually convince his estate to accept someone else.

Ah no doubt, depends on the contract though. No one knows the contract and as he says himself, "words are wind".

Just not The Winds of Winter ;)

Ionian

Imagine Elio and Linda take over, I could see that happening. Two hugely unlikable people, they were involved with the book the new series is based on. They helped write it (danger right there).

Elio seems chill but Linda used to go absolutely mental about new fans for the TV show. They're credited for helping him write the book the new show is based on. (uh-oh).

That's his backup. Jesus Christ. Elio even refused to watch the show (GOT) and she did the reviews after episodes on her own. She was vicious but for the smallest of things. Toxic couple but she wears the trousers.

They felt entitled as they were PURE fans. George let them write the cannon. It's his fault.

I wish I was joking. His laziness is real. Just look at any review they did for the GOT show.

If you don't want to, they're toxic and purists. Just rant and rant. No wonder it fell off the tracks with them involved but GRRM never dialed them in. That's how lazy he got.

EDIT: oh if you went to their website at the time and disagreed. Insta-ban. I never did, just laughed at the people that tried. Yup, that's the guys that helped him write the book on the new series. This is fact, they talked about it and appear in the credits for it.

So about these new books ... it's why I always laugh. He has those cunts helping him write. They're manically protective of the story. No one will ever write knew books he said. Well those cunts wrote the last one this new TV show is based on.

Last edited:
He's already said the ending of ASOIAF will different to how the show ended. Which makes sense considering some very major characters (Lady Stoneheart and "Young Griff" for example) never made it into the show.

I also refuse to believe the books will end with "Bran the broken". That was so fucking dumb.

I hope he kill off Daenerys since it would piss off the Feminazis

I read the books and I remember Daenerys becoming like her previous ancestors was always heavily hinted at. I would be pissed if he changed the ending to the series due to some rabid crazy feminazis

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I've been a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire since I picked up the series in 2000. Although incomplete, it's one of my favourite fantasy series and I'd class Storm of Swords as one of the best fantasy novels to ever grace my eyes. For this reason, I've always defended George RR Martin's writing pace. I'd always say "you can't rush art". How wrong I was.

Judging by Mr Martin's latest blog we're all going be waiting a lot, lot longer. Here is part of his blog post, but the full post is linked below.

I know, I know, for many of you out there, only one of those projects matters.

I am sorry for you. They ALL matter to me.

Yes, of course I am still working on THE WINDS OF WINTER. I have stated that a hundred times in a hundred venues, having to restate it endlessly is just wearisome. I made a lot of progress on WINDS in 2020, and less in 2021… but “less” is not “none.”

The world of Westeros, the world of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, is my number one priority, and will remain so until the story is told. But Westeros has become bigger than THE WINDS OF WINTER, or even A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. In addition to WINDS, I also need to deliver the second volume of Archmaester Gyldayn’s history, FIRE & BLOOD. (Thinking of calling that one BLOOD & FIRE, rather than just F&B, Vol 2). Got a couple hundred pages of that one written, but there’s still a long way to go. I need to write more of the Dunk & Egg novellas, tell the rest of their stories, especially since there’s a television series about them in development. There’s a lavish coffee table book coming later this year, an illustrated, condensed version of FIRE & BLOOD done with Elio Garcia and Linda Antonsson (my partners on THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE), and my Fevre River art director, Raya Golden. And another book after that, a Who’s Who in Westeros. And that’s just the books.

The man then goes onto list all these Game of Thrones spin off shows he's working with HBO, plus other shows that aren't HBO related.

I know. George is his own boss and he can work on what he wants when he wants. True, but he needs to stop dangling the fucking carrot in front of our faces.

The writing history for Winds is bizarre. In 2016 he put out a blog post which he apologised to his fans for missing a deadline. He explained that he thought he could meet a deadline for October 2015 to hand in Winds, which would get it published before the new season of GoT. He failed to meet this deadline, but if he thought he could hit it then surely it was close to completion?

Anyway, he then went on to say that Winds was his number 1 project. He gave fans hope by declaring he would not be writing anything, no teleplays, screenplays, short stories, introductions or forewords before delivering The Winds of Winter....which of course was bullshit.

2017 he said he hoped it'd be out that year, then later in the year he said its actually still "months" away.

2019 he said that fans could lock him up on a volcanic island if he didn't have the book ready by the time WorldCon 2020.

And it just goes on. Every year George dangles that carrot and injects me with hope and I'm just sick of believing his BS.

He just needs to be honest and say he's fallen out of love with ASOIAF and he'd rather make easy money writing 1000 different HBO shows. Then I can be honest and say I'm truly done with the series, which is something I thought I'd never say.

The writing process is mysterious. Something happened along the way..he lost his muse, he can't find the inspiration to finish cultivation of that book. Who knows but I doubt he set out to purposefully deceive you.

Last edited:

IDKFA

The writing process is mysterious. Something happened along the way..he lost his muse, he can't find the inspiration to finish cultivation of that book. Who knows but I doubt he set out to purposefully deceive you.

No, I doubt he purposely deceived anyone. It's just a case that he wants to enjoy his new found fame and take on as many projects as possible. That, and not only have the books become more complex, but every year that goes by adds the pressure of delivering a stellar novel.

Cyberpunkd

He did not deceive, but it’s obvious he doesn’t have the discipline to focus and also prioritise.

IDKFA

The man himself getting roasted. Absolute gold.

Although, I cannot believe he still has 500 pages to go. At this rate it'll take him another 5 years at least to finish the book, or maybe this public roasting will inspire him to get it finished within months.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
or maybe this public roasting will inspire him to get it finished within months.
there-there-broom.gif

IDKFA

I'm allowed to necro my own thread, right? Besides, this is relevant.

Looking at his recent blog post, George hasn't made much progress on Winds recently. This is because of other work he's doing on other projects. Juggling so much work seems to really impacting his mental health.

Personally, I'm losing hope. This man is 75 and is taking on every project he can get his hands on.

FFS, George. Just focus on Winds and finish the series you started. Do you want to be remembered as the author who didn't finish his magnum opus. It'll also improve your mental health. Forza George, Forza!

Failing that, just give up.

Nor did I find much solace in my work. Writing came hard, and though I did produce some new pages on both THE WINDS OF WINTER (yes) and BLOOD & FIRE (the sequel to FIRE & BLOOD, the second part of my Targaryen history), I would have liked to turn out a lot more. My various television projects ate up most of those months. Some of that was pleasant (DARK WINDS, and THE HEDGE KNIGHT), most of it was not. The stress kept mounting, the news went from bad to worse to worst, my mood seemed to swing between fury and despair, and at night I tossed and turned when I should have been sleeping. When I did sleep, well, my dreams were none too pleasant either.

But when we finally got back to the Land of Enchantment I had a thousand emails waiting for me. I also managed to bring covid back home with me, after picking it up at worldcon. It was a mild case, thankfully, but even so, it put me out of action for a week or so, with the worst sore throat of my life. (I am fully recovered and testing negative once again, thank you. Don’t get covid, boys and girls, it is no fun at all). And, alas, the moment I opened my computer again, the stress came rushing back. I managed to put my problems aside for a month, but they were still waiting for me.

So… I have a lot to blog about. Big things, small things, glad news and sad news. I do want to talk about the trip while it is still fresh in my mind, but there is so much else…

rkofan87

Gold Member
i hope he has notes for a gw he getting up their in age so he might be dead before this shit is done.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Looking at his recent blog post, George hasn't made much progress on Winds recently. This is because of other work he's doing on other projects. Juggling so much work seems to really impacting his mental health.

Personally, I'm losing hope. This man is 75 and is taking on every project he can get his hands on.

FFS, George. Just focus on Winds and finish the series you started. Do you want to be remembered as the author who didn't finish his magnum opus. It'll also improve your mental health. Forza George, Forza!

Nor did I find much solace in my work. Writing came hard, and though I did produce some new pages on both THE WINDS OF WINTER (yes) and BLOOD & FIRE (the sequel to FIRE & BLOOD, the second part of my Targaryen history), I would have liked to turn out a lot more. My various television projects ate up most of those months. Some of that was pleasant (DARK WINDS, and THE HEDGE KNIGHT), most of it was not. The stress kept mounting, the news went from bad to worse to worst, my mood seemed to swing between fury and despair, and at night I tossed and turned when I should have been sleeping. When I did sleep, well, my dreams were none too pleasant either.

But when we finally got back to the Land of Enchantment I had a thousand emails waiting for me. I also managed to bring covid back home with me, after picking it up at worldcon. It was a mild case, thankfully, but even so, it put me out of action for a week or so, with the worst sore throat of my life. (I am fully recovered and testing negative once again, thank you. Don’t get covid, boys and girls, it is no fun at all). And, alas, the moment I opened my computer again, the stress came rushing back. I managed to put my problems aside for a month, but they were still waiting for me.

So… I have a lot to blog about. Big things, small things, glad news and sad news. I do want to talk about the trip while it is still fresh in my mind, but there is so much else…

its clear that working with HBO has drained him. I always suspected that watching Game of Thrones' ending get butchered likely made him weary of his own ending which was pretty much outlined in the notes he gave to D&D regarding each character's ultimate fate.

Yes, D&D butchered the execution, but those were his endings. Imagine being a writer and seeing that kind of reception to your ending? It would break anyone. I figured thats when he basically gave up and went back to rewrite everything, and now he's got no idea where to take his own story.

So he's doing what any procastinator would do. Distract himself and take on other projects to avoid working on the one thing he's dreading doing.

doesnt help that HBO promised him more control then took it away with house of dragon so hes now seeing another one of his works get butchered in realtime. HBO killed any drive this man had. this is not a writers block, its an abusive work relationship thats keeping a man from doing his work.

IDKFA

its clear that working with HBO has drained him. I always suspected that watching Game of Thrones' ending get butchered likely made him weary of his own ending which was pretty much outlined in the notes he gave to D&D regarding each character's ultimate fate.

Yes, D&D butchered the execution, but those were his endings. Imagine being a writer and seeing that kind of reception to your ending? It would break anyone. I figured thats when he basically gave up and went back to rewrite everything, and now he's got no idea where to take his own story.

So he's doing what any procastinator would do. Distract himself and take on other projects to avoid working on the one thing he's dreading doing.

doesnt help that HBO promised him more control then took it away with house of dragon so hes now seeing another one of his works get butchered in realtime. HBO killed any drive this man had. this is not a writers block, its an abusive work relationship thats keeping a man from doing his work.

100% agreed.

George not only has Winds and Dance to finish, but he also needs to finish part 2 of Fire and Blood, plus has said he wants to write more Dunk and Egg. The man is 75.

He just needs to drop all other projects and focus on his books. Everything else is just causing him stress.

Regarding the ending of GoT, I'm not convinced George had those intentions for the ending, but has 100% had to rewrite it. In a video I posted above from 2 years ago he said he had around 500 pages still to write. He probably had the same amount.

I don't think he'll finish Winds.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Personally, I'm losing hope. This man is 75 and is taking on every project he can get his hands on

I also feel for the guy—he's 75, and this should be a time where he's winding down, reflecting on his achievements, and enjoying life. Instead, he's under immense stress, constantly hounded by fans and Hollywood and publishers alike. Sure, a lot of the pressure is self-inflicted, but it's hard not to sympathise. He's taking on all these projects to avoid the real demon. If I were in his shoes, I'd have thrown in the towel long ago and said, "I'm done," and focused on enjoying the rest of my life without this endless emotional and physical strain weighing me down.

Last edited:

Paltheos

I also feel for the guy—he's 75, and this should be a time where he's winding down, reflecting on his achievements, and enjoying life. Instead, he's under immense stress, constantly hounded by fans and Hollywood and publishers alike. Sure, a lot of the pressure is self-inflicted, but it's hard not to sympathise. He's taking on all these projects to avoid the real demon. If I were in his shoes, I'd have thrown in the towel long ago and said, "I'm done," and focused on enjoying the rest of my life without this endless emotional and physical strain weighing me down.

From that blog post it seems he wants to give up, but something is holding him back.

Toots

Gold Member
From that blog post it seems he wants to give up, but something is holding him back.
Maybe he wants to give up on working toward the ending, but he doesn't want to give up the attention the books gave him ?
He's still the dude who wrote a song of fire and ice (even not finished), if he gives up he'll forever be the dude who couldn't finish his book series.
Or maybe he's under contract and must act like he will finish it for fear of getting sued by his publisher ?

Sadly at this point if he could truly put an end his saga he would have done by now.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I think the ending was fine in what the fates of the characters were. It really was just thay they resolved the huge ass conflict with the night king in one (or was it two?) Single episodes where you couldn't see shit on top. All those years of build up ending in a wet fart.

Some of the characters ultimate fate I disagree with like Jamie just throwing away all his character development and "clegane bowl" being underwhelming (again HBO's fault).

He really just needs to finish his own work how he sees fit and be at peace with himself. However hard that is. If he was content with not finishing it I would say fuck it you do you George but its clearly gnawing at him.

Fwiw I think HOTD is boring and I dropped it after a few eps.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So did he sign off on the HBO ending? If so I understanding why people and even himself would lose interest
They used his notes on what was going to happen in the books, roughly. But the showrunners completely botched the execution.

Events like Arya Knife Trick were inventions of the showrunners because they thought Jon had too much to do if he resolved both the war in the north and the Dany situation himself.

Cyberpunkd

Yes, D&D butchered the execution, but those were his endings.
This. He will never admit it but these endings were probably very close to what he had in mind for the books. Which is shit, because the only way this series would have ended on a high note is Daenerys Targaryen becoming ultimate queen of Westeros. It was the choice everyone secretly wanted to happen, but of course they had to fuck it up.

John Bilbo

They used his notes on what was going to happen in the books, roughly. But the showrunners completely botched the execution.

Events like Arya Knife Trick were inventions of the showrunners because they thought Jon had too much to do if he resolved both the war in the north and the Dany situation himself.
I think Bran's role in the books could be much larger and his mystical powers more pronounced and expanded.

gotcha. I might be in the minority but I was okay with the key plot points on how it all went down but the execution felt rushed on most of it.

DelireMan7

gotcha. I might be in the minority but I was okay with the key plot points on how it all went down but the execution felt rushed on most of it.

I am also ok with the ending idea and fate of each characters (except Jaime... How to throw away a redemption arc build over 7 seasons in 1/2 episode) (and it seems I am one of the few who liked Arya killing the Night King). Execution however is awful, I can still accept the first 3 episodes of the final season. I wish the conflict with the Night King was the conclusion of the show (and honestly that the Night King wins).
The 3 last episodes are just a parodic shit show. And the last one... I still can't wrap my head around the fact it was greenlighted. Some actual peoples read the script, watch it and said "Yes it's fine as the last episode" ?!

My headcanon is that the 3 last episodes don't exist and the show finish with the Night King killed. The rest is just a weird dream I had once.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I think Bran's role in the books could be much larger and his mystical powers more pronounced and expanded.

Oh, absolutely. After the "Hold the door!" episode I was giddy with the possibilities the revelation of Bran's powers would bring to the story - and then the showrunners did absolutely nothing with Bran. This was just one of the many things they completely botched in their rush to end GoT so they could start work on that Star Wars movie trilogy.

Klosshufvud

I have no interest in this series anymore. George hasn't played fair with the fans at all. Constantly giving these very cryptic messages. Never committing to a deadline. Never even making a single promise. The fact that he keeps getting himself bogged down with trashy TV content is not an excuse, it feels like he's just pouring salt on the wound. In a world where the TV show didn't exist and didn't take off, I am 100% certain the book series would have been finished by now. But all that glamour and attention got to him, like it would anyone else. I don't even know why he thinks anyone cares about all those expanded stories and adaptions he's got himself involved with. It feels like he's the last person on Earth to realize this.

gow3isben

This. He will never admit it but these endings were probably very close to what he had in mind for the books. Which is shit, because the only way this series would have ended on a high note is Daenerys Targaryen becoming ultimate queen of Westeros. It was the choice everyone secretly wanted to happen, but of course they had to fuck it up.

No they didn't lol

Daenyrs had the makings of a ruthless killer since day 1. Her getting killed is a good outcome if the execution of it was more natural. But the show didn't portray it to be gradual as it should have been.

Most people wanted Jon Snow to be king but she ended up dying suddenly and lamely and he ended up becoming a cuck.

Show ended up being an Arya/Bran power fantasy.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Bran could well play a much large roll like defeating the night king in the book ending
I dont even know what Bran was doing during the battle. He says to Theon, i am going to go now, but then where did he go?

What was his plan? Why did Theon have to die when he knew Arya would eventually kill the night king? its all so stupid.

I think he basically told them that Bran becomes king, Jon kills Dany after she burns down Kings Landing, Cersei and Jaime die together, Tyrion becomes Hand and Sansa becomes Queen. D&D took all that and did nothing to set up any of these storylines. They had Bran literally missing for an entire fucking season. They kept Jaime on a road to redemption knowing full well he was going to go back to Cersei. They dropped zero hints about Dany eventually going mad, and kept her sane and just through out the seasons always doing the right thing. All to presumably go for shock value trying to recreate the Red Wedding phenomenon.

It's a shame because D&D had nailed so many other amazing moments including the Hodor twist thats not even in the books yet. So they did Hodor justice on their own. Then fumbled everyone else's ending lmao.

I also think they botched the R+L=J reveal. That shouldve been an amazing scene with real consequences. But nah, it was just Sam simply telling Jon and then jon telling his siblings. Like come on, that shouldve been an earth shattering event that comes out in the court at Kings Landing in front of a crowd like the Tyrion trial. Maybe the crowd turns on Dany refusing to accept her as their queen and she goes mad and burns down kings landing.

i dont know. anything but what we ended up getting. Bells. yes, she got mad hearing the bells. Ok.

SlimySnake

tbf it should've ended like this..

This reminds of me the fan made evil ending which is literally the stupidest video ive ever seen, but honestly it makes a lot more sense than the actual ending we got. it's also very well done.

It honestly would explain how so many fucking characters act out of character lol.

Top Bottom