• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George RR Martin's latest blog post has broken me.

Cyberpunkd

No they didn't lol

Daenyrs had the makings of a ruthless killer since day 1. Her getting killed is a good outcome if the execution of it was more natural. But the show didn't portray it to be gradual as it should have been.

Most people wanted Jon Snow to be king but she ended up dying suddenly and lamely and he ended up becoming a cuck.

Show ended up being an Arya/Bran power fantasy.
Making Daenerys queen would have been a perfect ending and highlight key concept about GoT - nobody wins, even if you win you are still fucked.

Echoing some others - I thought the ending was fine but execution was horrible. Makes sense what happened to Dany with the 'balance in the world', 'ice and fire' theme but her going 'mad' just didn't make sense in a span of an episode. Many were actually sympathetic to Dany from the casual betrayals she got from the likes of the north/Sansa after saving them all. But still, in the end with the white walker threat gone, she was a god amongst man and there would be imbalance.

I've gotten into the lore, I really like the theories of children of the forest essentially creating Targaryens/their bond with dragons to fight the threat (which they also accidentally created). Cool stuff, I wish the show got more into it.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I dont even know what Bran was doing during the battle. He says to Theon, i am going to go now, but then where did he go?

What was his plan? Why did Theon have to die when he knew Arya would eventually kill the night king? its all so stupid.

I think he basically told them that Bran becomes king, Jon kills Dany after she burns down Kings Landing, Cersei and Jaime die together, Tyrion becomes Hand and Sansa becomes Queen. D&D took all that and did nothing to set up any of these storylines. They had Bran literally missing for an entire fucking season. They kept Jaime on a road to redemption knowing full well he was going to go back to Cersei. They dropped zero hints about Dany eventually going mad, and kept her sane and just through out the seasons always doing the right thing. All to presumably go for shock value trying to recreate the Red Wedding phenomenon.

It's a shame because D&D had nailed so many other amazing moments including the Hodor twist thats not even in the books yet. So they did Hodor justice on their own. Then fumbled everyone else's ending lmao.

I also think they botched the R+L=J reveal. That shouldve been an amazing scene with real consequences. But nah, it was just Sam simply telling Jon and then jon telling his siblings. Like come on, that shouldve been an earth shattering event that comes out in the court at Kings Landing in front of a crowd like the Tyrion trial. Maybe the crowd turns on Dany refusing to accept her as their queen and she goes mad and burns down kings landing.

i dont know. anything but what we ended up getting. Bells. yes, she got mad hearing the bells. Ok.
What shocks me is that HBO didn't just let D&D go when they wanted out and get new showrunners to carry on for the extra season or 2 they needed to do it right.

I kinda think GoT was TOO POPULAR for HBO, they never really knew how to handle it, handle the merch, and capitalize on it all, so they were sorta happy to wrap it up and get back to the lower profile but critically acclaimed stuff they were more familiar with.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Making Daenerys queen would have been a perfect ending and highlight key concept about GoT - nobody wins, even if you win you are still fucked.
I'm guessing GRRM would have her be queen for about half a book until her madness overwhelms her and Jon has to put her down.

Artoris

Gold Member
I dont even know what Bran was doing during the battle. He says to Theon, i am going to go now, but then where did he go?

What was his plan? Why did Theon have to die when he knew Arya would eventually kill the night king? its all so stupid.

I think he basically told them that Bran becomes king, Jon kills Dany after she burns down Kings Landing, Cersei and Jaime die together, Tyrion becomes Hand and Sansa becomes Queen. D&D took all that and did nothing to set up any of these storylines. They had Bran literally missing for an entire fucking season. They kept Jaime on a road to redemption knowing full well he was going to go back to Cersei. They dropped zero hints about Dany eventually going mad, and kept her sane and just through out the seasons always doing the right thing. All to presumably go for shock value trying to recreate the Red Wedding phenomenon.

It's a shame because D&D had nailed so many other amazing moments including the Hodor twist thats not even in the books yet. So they did Hodor justice on their own. Then fumbled everyone else's ending lmao.

I also think they botched the R+L=J reveal. That shouldve been an amazing scene with real consequences. But nah, it was just Sam simply telling Jon and then jon telling his siblings. Like come on, that shouldve been an earth shattering event that comes out in the court at Kings Landing in front of a crowd like the Tyrion trial. Maybe the crowd turns on Dany refusing to accept her as their queen and she goes mad and burns down kings landing.

i dont know. anything but what we ended up getting. Bells. yes, she got mad hearing the bells. Ok.
I think Jon does not kill Dany but the ending in the book is similar to the ending in the series as when all the nobles sit in the circle onwards

Top Bottom