• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

I feel like this is an overrated take on it. If they win they'll just chug along as usual regardless of by what margin.
If we start seeing those kinds of swings in the 2018 general election though they'll lose their majority.

Yes Ossoff losing will probably embolden them to pass AHCA and tax reform and the Murder Puppies and Orphans Act but that only lasts so long as their majority.

Isaac Underworld said:
I thought this district was surpisingly close to voting Hillary in the general election? Montana went Trump by 20 but this district was by 6?
This district went for Trump by 1.5% and Romney by 23 points. PVI averages out the last two elections with a heavier lean for the more recent result, so it's more like R+9.

I feel like this is an overrated take on it. If they win they'll just chug along as usual regardless of by what margin.

Hot take: If Ossoff gets 49%-51%, that's still a really bad omen for the GOP heading into the midterms!

Treating ~2% as meaningful in terms of shifts of the electorate is sort of silly. Yes, he might not win, but that doesn't mean that the GOP still shouldn't be nervous. Romney won this district by huge numbers, and the close Hillary loss won't be a fluke and it's being replicated downballot by someone who was basically painted as a liberal communist.

And, Democrats are making bigger gains over Hillary's poor showing in rural and exurb America, even increasing on Obama 12 numbers in some of these districts.

If they chug along, their loss!

This is not quite true -- GA-6 in 1979 did not at all resemble the current borders. You'd have to go back to 1992, when Newt Gingrich moved from the old GA-6 to the current GA-6 to run.

Well, sure, but I'm just talking about on paper. Still from 1992 to now is still a long time.

RPGCrazied

Can you spot whats wrong with this picture? Took me awhile, but can't be a coincidence.

hell.png

1983 - 1992

VSMPc7q.png

1993-1996

i46916D.png

1997 - 2002

GlB9QA1.png

2003 - 2006

IhvbDc9.png

2007 - 2013

0FT7xDZ.png

2013 - now

0jyESMu.png

So most of the old GA-4 pre-1992 holds the current GA-6 borders. Rep. Ben Jones, a Democrat, held that until 1993. Then Republican Rep. John Linder was elected, who was then redistricted to GA-11 in 1997. And who was elected to GA-5 in 1997?

2zW4ExK.jpg

EYEL1NER

RELATED: South Carolina's 5th Congressional district is also having its special election today, between Republican Ralph Norman and Democrat Archie Parnell. This race isn't expected to be very competitive, but a strong showing by the underdog Parnell might turn some heads (similar to closer-than-expected races in MT-AL and KS-4 earlier this year).
Yep, I'll be heading in a few to vote in this one.
Good luck down there in Georgia today though. It's been really interesting following this one for the past few months and I can't say I know how it's going to turn out, but I guess it could be a good thing that it is even going to be close.

KHarvey16

Even just close is a great sign. People have to understand these individual seats are not as important as the overall shift towards democrats, especially seats that are only filled until the midterm anyway.

Rran

I just don't understand why working class peeps would vote for someone who openly advocates not supporting a livable wage, as if it's some kind of virtue that deserves the constituency's support :/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Here's what I'ma do.

Ignore the news about this all day.

Assume that awful looking woman won with her ads accusing Ossoff of cheering on murders.

Be either vindicated or surprised tomorrow.

mazillion

I just don't understand why working class peeps would vote for someone who openly advocates not supporting a livable wage, as if it's some kind of virtue that deserves the constituency's support :/

Most of the people I know in this area don't even really know about issues like this, they just know they hate democrats.

This is a wealthy suburban district.

Frankly speaking, it makes perfect sense for many of the voters in this district to support the Republican if that candidate advocates for lowering their taxes.

From what I gather, a lot of the voters in this distract aren't your traditional 'working class' voter. But if you just mean in general, it's basically a mix a racism, tribalism, poor education, and a ton of 'dark money' being funneled into the Republican party from special interests.

The people who live in that district dont have to worry about receiving a livable wage, in fact they would most likely be the ones benefiting from not having to pay a livable wage.

Top Bottom