• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

SkylineRKR

I think the controls are good. The climbing is very basic stuff but its not a climbing game. Its hardly there in main missions, mostly saved for optional content and probably to persuade you in taking in the views which are gorgeous. If climbing does one thing well, is that I haven't failed it yet. I hate that shit if it decides to let you fall to your doom.

The most jarring thing about this game is the cutscene to gameplay transition which is 2016 material at best. Its especially noticable if you've played the likes of TLOU2 recently, and have played games like God of War. Sony set a bar there and GoT goes backwards on this. I've heard better VA quality in their games, as well. I've yet to put it on JP, but then the sync seems to be off.

GoT does nothing entirely new. We've seen the camp liberations and raising banners in the likes of Mordor and AC. The quest design has been done in TW3 (follow tracks, find dead body, investigate, kill guys). The armor system is lifted from Horizon, with armor that specializes in either stealth or melee combat, or something else. I guess what gives this game its own identity is the wind as waypoint system, the haikus and hot springs... kind of shit I really dig. Horseback control is perfect here as well. The horse doesn't go mental when its approaching a branch, it just hops over it. That kind of stuff. The skill system is varied and deep, there are full trees for Stealth and melee. and side trees for Archery. And you can pretty much finish missions just as effective either way. You can spot your foes, put on archery gear and light them up with arrows. Then put on stealth gear and reduce their numbers from the shadow and go in for the kill with samurai gear. Throwing vanish bombs for style points. Or start with samurai gear that gives 5 stand off kills. You don't have to, the game isn't hard, but you can and I dig that shit. Wearing bad ass masks or hats, you don't have to but its again, bad ass. And the fast travel load times, they need to be highlighted, they're fast as fuck within the genre.

With all the nitpicks, this game's atmosphere, setting, music and overall feel is perfect. I really love it. I'm playing this on the back of TLOU2 and I prefer this already. After the first 15 hours Tsushima is a GOTY contender for me. Sucker Punch made solid games, the first 2 infamous games were fun romps but for me not among the cream of the crop. This one is better than Horizon and better than Spiderman. This game ticks the right boxes for me. Good swan song.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I love the combat. I spent perk points in Chain Standoff & I challenge everybody. Haven't played it stealth at all (outside of the game making me do it), which is a bit jarring because it's a part of the story, but whatever!

I face my enemies & look them in the eye :messenger_horns:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just that coming fresh from TLoU 2, the animation work (or lack thereof) is a bit jarring.
Then you want to compare dog animation in TLOU2 compare the animation in Trico in The Last Guardian. TLG has the best animal animation in gaming, even TLOUS 2 using actual dogs for mocap , it doesn't even come close to Trico's animation and that game came out in 2016.
D0v4.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_oi8ybkhTWJ1vxy8ooo1_400.gif

But is that jarring? not really, because TLG big focus is Trico so most resource went to making Trico's animation as believable as possible

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Then you want to compare dog animation in TLOU2 compare the animation in Trico in The Last Guardian. TLG has the best animal animation in gaming, even TLOUS 2 using actual dogs for mocap , it doesn't even come close to Trico's animation and that game came out in 2016.
D0v4.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_oi8ybkhTWJ1vxy8ooo1_400.gif

But is that jarring? not really, because TLG big focus is Trico so most resource went to making Trico's animation as believable as possible

I want an Ueda trilogy on PS5.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The Last Guardian was an incredible achievement. Well worth the wait.

I was so attached to that big cat bird dog by the end. Game hit me right in the feels.

nowhat

The game is “janky”? You lot playing it on PS2?😕 Apart from the stupid camera there isn’t anything janky in the game
Try running up a hill and look at the feet. It doesn't break the game, but it doesn't look great either.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I put about 5-6 hours into it. I’m enjoying it. Once things get going and you’ve unlocked your character’s potential; things start picking up. Things start feeling much smoother and deaths are much faster. The armor is one of my favorite parts. I love changing my look. It takes me back to when AC let you upgrade the way you looked.

The bright colors and the wind feel great. Sometimes it feels like patterns blend together, but overall that’s not a huge deal to me. Photo mode has been awesome.
585-D8554-33-E0-4854-B214-B488-E9-C14772.jpg

Cracklox

Just got through act 1. Last mission was good stuff, and took a pretty unexpected turn part way through as well. As for jank, I did get a pretty funny glitch where Jins arms were pinned straight down in front of him for a while. He looked funny af running around like that and it even persisted in combat which just looked really weird. Fixed itself after 10-15 mins though. Also, camera can be a bit shit sometimes, and there's some wacky clipping that goes on, but it's all bearable

Speaking of bears, watching them fight the mongols and yeet them around is pretty funny. I've also really enjoyed the ancient samurai tradition of hunting them with explosive arrows too.

JimiNutz

Banned
I love the combat. I spent perk points in Chain Standoff & I challenge everybody. Haven't played it stealth at all (outside of the game making me do it), which is a bit jarring because it's a part of the story, but whatever!

I face my enemies & look them in the eye :messenger_horns:

Yeah exactly the same for me.
I upgraded the standoff early so that I could take on three people at once. I never stealth unless the game forces me to for storyline reasons.

I fucking love the one vs one 'boss' duels in this game as well. I almost wish there was some kind of basic one vs one multiplayer mode so that I could duel online against other people. The sword combat is really good.

nowhat

SO JANKY!!
...it is? For the record I'm quite enjoying the game thus far. That doesn't mean there are no issues with the presentation.

(and whoever thought it was a good idea having R2 be a general "interact" button, and also what you press to climb ledges, and be the button you use to change stances, ought to receive a decent spanking)

Mista

Banned
...it is? For the record I'm quite enjoying the game thus far. That doesn't mean there are no issues with the presentation.

(and whoever thought it was a good idea having R2 be a general "interact" button, and also what you press to climb ledges, and be the button you use to change stances, ought to receive a decent spanking)
Nah just kidding. Yeah the R2 is dumb especially that you need to use it to switch between lots of things. Should’ve been pressing the touch pad maybe?

Arthimura

Really enjoying the game thus far.

Combat looks and feels great, graphics are amazing.

I'm focusing most of my upgrades in parrying. After getting the platinum trophy in Sekiro, i feel like Jin can deal with basically anything if you have the parry perks and good reflexes.

Gotta say I really dog this game so far. It's been a tough last couple years for me to gain interest in games again, but the vibe of this game is right up my alley. While I'm only a few hours into it, the spirituality aspect of this game (the quiet moments) really define the tone of things. So far the story and the acting are topnotch as well.

That being said, the game isn't techically perfect. As others have mentioned the camera can be a pain in ass. The face animations are also a bit jarring, especially with Japanese voices. But far from a deal breaker

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The game's growing on me a bit after I actually got a decent suit of armor. I'm still extremely annoyed by how up close the camera is.

The main thing winning me over is just the graphics, which are amazing of course.

PanzerAzel

This game is so good. You can feel the love sucker punch put into this.
Yup, you really can. Not since the Arkham games have I felt such adoration for the source as I have here. It just keeps getting better and better.
The game is superb so far. I'm playing it on hard and the combat is superb.

I'm surprised it's getting less than stellar scores though -- It's not perfect, but I have a feeling that it could be down to the fact the Samurai genre is very male, and that isn't seen as woke enough.
The Eurogamer review was very weird in this regard. They had such odd criticisms like the game is too beautiful, and that it wasn't really open world (?) It was like they were trying to find fault with it. The same thing happened with Red Dead 2 review. I wouldn't have noticed this normally but it stands out as LOU2 was obviously marked up recently because of it's politics.
Aside the political game, I think with TLoU II, the main sites were feeling the need to circle the wagon in defense of ND to compensate for what they felt was unfair bias for weeks due to the leaks. I suspect had they not happened, it would’ve scored lower. Perhaps not by much, but lower nonetheless.
Try running up a hill and look at the feet. It doesn't break the game, but it doesn't look great either.
You can’t please everyone. Studios like R* take immaculate attention to detail with their contextual animations, and people bitch that they’re intrusive to the gameplay. Others studios don’t, and they’re criticized just as well.

I think SP put the attention where it was needed, and I doubt they were operating on a budget that R* and ND are afforded. I notice a lack of polish in this game in the little details (especially coming off such high production values as TLoU II only a few weeks back), but I’m having such a blast I don’t care. I haven’t enjoyed a game this much since Mario Galaxy and I don’t even know why. It retains so many of the open-world tropes I’m long past tired of but it’s not affecting my enjoyment in the slightest. Maybe it’s the theme but this is just so damn fun that I’m doing gaming binges I haven’t since my early twenties.

GoT is making me feel my age.

Last edited:

nowhat

You can’t please everyone. Studios like R* take immaculate attention to detail with their contextual animations, and people bitch that they’re intrusive to the gameplay. Others studios don’t, and they’re criticized just as well.
I'm not glamoring for RDR 2-like animations, just to be clear. I think it's fantastic that there are no looting animations, I'm totally onboard with it. But inverse kinematics is not an "attention to detail" kind of thing, rather, it's supposed to be automatic. So (in the example of running up/down a hill) one wouldn't record different running animations for different elevations. Rather, there's just one, and the engine adjusts the movement of people according to the elevation. This is not rocket science, and something pretty much every first-party studio does, so its absence is just strange.

Keihart

[

I could be wrong but isn't that mostly because they are using face scans? in FFVIIR is possible because the models is custom made instead of face scan. Also Sucker Punch are small team compare to ND and R*, its like comparing graphics in Yoko Taro games to Nomura, I like Yoko Taro game way more but he just doesn't get same budget as Nomura gets for his games.

For me all I care about end result, if someone asks me which game GoT or TLOU2 has better visuals I'm pretty much gonna say GoT simply because I like that game's art direction more, it doesn't matter if TLOU2 has more advance graphics.
GoT has pretty jank animation in and out of cinematics tho, i think those simple animations must be due to the amount of particles they are pushing. Can't think this is all gpu for particles, must be cpu and gpu so maybe there was less room for fancy animation.
Because, you can see that there is a lot of tech overlap, even if different engines, between GoT and TLoU2 ....it's ok in my book tho, it's not worst than Infamous, and better than most third party shitty animations like ubi games.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Who else has slashed their poor horse with triangle trying to get on? lol

Lots and jumping of it go faster.

Anyway really enjoying the game on im act two enjoying the tales ( side quest) only advanced the story to unlock more of these.

There's fair amount of bugs though I've fallen from really high places and survived and you can walk through some objects.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
The game's growing on me a bit after I actually got a decent suit of armor. I'm still extremely annoyed by how up close the camera is.

The main thing winning me over is just the graphics, which are amazing of course.
They could go back to BOTW and look at how they do the camera there...just to improve that particular aspect.

Arkam

Two days deep.... and still marveling at each new thing I see. Have explored ~1/3 of Izuhara. The combat is really clicking with me now and love the samurai duel mechanic. Once you level it up, being able to OHK three guys is great. It looks and feels so epic. If there was not a pair of consoles dropping this fall, I would safely say Ghost is my GOTY.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My ratio of regular deaths to fall damage deaths is probably 1:1,000 at this point.

I picked up the perk that lets you roll out of some of the falls without taking damage, but they need an upgraded perk that eliminates it completely.

PanzerAzel

I'm not glamoring for RDR 2-like animations, just to be clear. I think it's fantastic that there are no looting animations, I'm totally onboard with it. But inverse kinematics is not an "attention to detail" kind of thing, rather, it's supposed to be automatic. So (in the example of running up/down a hill) one wouldn't record different running animations for different elevations. Rather, there's just one, and the engine adjusts the movement of people according to the elevation. This is not rocket science, and something pretty much every first-party studio does, so its absence is just strange.
I'm curious as to whether it's a budgetary consideration, but Sony should have some type of middleware for it. I'd think it would be mandatory at this point as when games reach a certain level of fidelity these absences become all the more glaringly apparent.

alstrike

Man I should have gone for that "Charm of Inari" way earlier. Now mongols and peasants alike please gimme all that sweet loot :messenger_sunglasses:

Fake

Gold Member
Reminder that GoT it's the sweet amazing secret game that Shu always mentioned but never revealed.

I guess Shu finally feels represented. So much USA/UK games for him to talk about. He love Japan and love japanese games. In fact, Shu love games like Gravity Rush.
Must be cool one dev team hear you out, don't you think?

Last edited:
Top Bottom