• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

stupei

Thanks guys, I'll link a few friends but warn them that there might be a few minor spoilers. Too many of my friends are seemingly unaware of the game's existence. I'm kind of embarrassed by the company I keep.

jgkspsx

So... I dunno how many chapters in I am, they all kind of blurred together. I think I'm getting near the end, but the Phoenix Wright games were good at fooling me there, so... I'm in a book on the floor next to where a large suitcase used to be, for what that's worth.

So, despite having few meaningful similarities to Phoenix Wright (albeit many familiar-seeming characters), this feels just like it. But with even better writing, funnier absurdities, and as many high-stakes OMG moments. And I'm not that graphics-focused, but my GOD does this game look fine.

DS game of 2011? I'll be amazed if not.

Just finished it.

Loved, loved, loved this game.

I will have to think if I liked it better than the AA games as a whole but it's damn close.

Capcom is closing the last chapter of the DS with a fucking bang.

Feep

Banned
Just picked this up.

Am I being irrational when I feel a surge of annoyance that the Gamestop clerk had no fucking idea what this game was? YOU ARE BEING A BAD NERD, GAMESTOP GUY

Anyway, will start tonight. I just finished 999, and it was ridiculous good...let's see if this can hold up. = D

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Feep said:
Just picked this up.

Am I being irrational when I feel a surge of annoyance that the Gamestop clerk had no fucking idea what this game was? YOU ARE BEING A BAD NERD, GAMESTOP GUY

Anyway, will start tonight. I just finished 999, and it was ridiculous good...let's see if this can hold up. = D

As a gamestop employee myself, most are not big gaming nerds, just people who enjoy it a bit more than the average person (And even then, thats not always the case from my experience). Hell its become my thing to keep everyone at my store informed with all the stuff I find out by virtue of being the biggest enthusiast that works there.

You're in for a treat. The last half is just... wow. Haven't been able to put it down all evening.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Continuing playing... I have to say the
stealth bits
are kinda annoying. Overall, though, this game is amazing. Animation is AMAZING!

Thoraxes

ZealousD said:
So guys, what's your favorite track from the OST?

I have to give it up for The Last Desperate Struggle.

I'm definitely digging the Prologue and Intermission music right now. Also The Last Desparate Struggle is awesome too.

There's something about the ones with the really nice bass that gets my ears all perked up. I have a really nice pair of headphones, so anytime I get pieces to listen to, you can really hear every last little detail when wearing them.

Jintor

The Epilogue, Ghost Trick, and Count Down are my favourite tracks, although desperate struggle is pretty boss.

I'm hoping for an official OST or an orchestrated one. Love those.

Scarecrow

near the beginning. I was hoping that blue suited cop was going to be a Phoenix Wright cameo (it is a capcom game after all), but no such luck.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm confused. Trying to get
the prisoner out of jail. Got him in the ceiling, now where do I go? Did I miss something... it seems like they don't tell you where to go. Doesn't help that it's pitch black and you can't see the room

EDIT: Sorry if anyone saw unclosed spoiler tag. It was only a couple of seconds, though.

Fantastical said:
the prisoner out of jail. Got him in the ceiling, now where do I go? Did I miss something... it seems like they don't tell you where to go. Doesn't help that it's pitch black and you can't see the room

EDIT: Sorry if anyone saw unclosed spoiler tag. It was only a couple of seconds, though.
The exit is to the left.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fantastical said:

Get him to roll around to the far left side, to the other door.

Feep

Banned
Just started, about thirty minutes in.

The story is intriguing so far, nothing mind-blowing quite yet, but...the fucking ANIMATION. DS or not, this has got to be one of the greatest animated games of all-time. I don't know whether these guys are polygons, sprites, voxels, what. It's just fucking stunning to see in motion.

Absolutely can’t wait till I have this tomorrow! I have a feeling it’s gonna be very special! So much DS goodness for me at the moment! : )

First it was 999, and then it’ll be Ghost Trick, and then Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney! I finally ordered it tonight! Are you proud of me GAF?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Feep said:

The story is intriguing so far, nothing mind-blowing quite yet, but...the fucking ANIMATION. DS or not, this has got to be one of the greatest animated games of all-time. I don't know whether these guys are polygons, sprites, voxels, what. It's just fucking stunning to see in motion.
Have you met Inspector Cabanela yet?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Feep said:

3D Models pressed into sprites.

I take it you've finally got it then Boney. Enjoy, I'm sure you're going to love it.

Finished it last night, sad it's over but loved every minute of it. Now to check out the spoiler thread.

zigg

Boney said:

213ol0.png

Welcome!

Boney

Banned
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

now I'm debating weather to start and finish it like tonight or something, or save it for febuary where I'm stuck at the lake house and there's no water this year.

Decisions decisions

Bought and started this today. Played the first 2 chapters so far. The animation really is as great as I've been reading. The characters and world are interesting, as are the gameplay mechanics. Looking forward to playing more!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, I think I may of found a slight plot hole. Ending spoilers and such.

If Missle couldn't of used the phone lines on his own, and brought up having trouble following Red Suit, he really should not of been able to make it to the Sub at all in the orignal timeline?

Chemo

I'm in Chapter 5 right now, and this shit is just fantastic. The game is gripping, visually brilliant... and oh god, the SCORE. Sugimori finally came back to score a game... I missed his work so much after the first Ace Attorney, easily one of my top two or three composers in the industry.

Can't wait to get farther... I hope this game gets the same kind of word-of-mouth eventual support that Ace Attorney got, but I get the feeling that it'll go unappreciated. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really, really loving the originality of this game. It just makes me so damn happy to be playing something like this. I can't play it for more than half an hour or so, though. There's something kind of off about the moment-to-moment experience.

I feel like I would have preferred it without the frozen Ghost-mode.

Chemo said:
I'm in Chapter 5 right now, and this shit is just fantastic. The game is gripping, visually brilliant... and oh god, the SCORE. Sugimori finally came back to score a game... I missed his work so much after the first Ace Attorney, easily one of my top two or three composers in the industry.

Can't wait to get farther... I hope this game gets the same kind of word-of-mouth eventual support that Ace Attorney got, but I get the feeling that it'll go unappreciated. Here's hoping I'm wrong.
I honestly thought the same person scored all the Ace Attorney games.

I did like the first game's music the best though. I want to check this game out even more now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tricky I Shadow said:
Absolutely can’t wait till I have this tomorrow! I have a feeling it’s gonna be very special! So much DS goodness for me at the moment! : )

First it was 999, and then it’ll be Ghost Trick, and then Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney! I finally ordered it tonight! Are you proud of me GAF?
You haven't played phoenix wright yet? you are in for a lot of awesomeness.:D

L00P

Just finished it. Man, the story's real crazy. I swear, the final moments just made me exclaim "HOLY SHIT" a few times. And the revelation of Sissel's identity is just pure WTF.

I wish I could forget all about it so I would be just as amazed as the first time I played it. Here's hoping for a sequel!!!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just picked it up today, and finished Chapter 2. Initial Thoughts:

-So clever. I was initially hesitant because I wasn't actually too impressed by the X-mas demo, but playing through a normal level made me understand and appreciate the mechanics.

-Checkpoint system after each fate altered section is great. Otherwise it would be too tedious.

-The animation is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm very impressed thus far, and the originality is absolutely refreshing.

I am playing through Last Window (Hotel Dusk 2) at the same time, and got 999 on the way. DS Madness in 2011. Who would have thought?

timnich

I just finished it, and man, what an awesome game. I got the same feeling from it that I got from playing Phoenix Wright for the first time, only better.

I really like how the game invites you to screw up, with zero penalty. It would have honestly single-handedly have ruined the game if there was some kind of penalty or drawback to messing up and trying again. But instead, you are encouraged to experiment to find the correct path, and it never gets tedious when you mess up, because of the checkpoint system.

Not to mention the awesome art style and animation. Or the stellar music. Or the intriguing story and characters. Best game I've played in a while.

Chemo

Dark Octave said:
I honestly thought the same person scored all the Ace Attorney games.

I did like the first game's music the best though. I want to check this game out even more now.
They re-use a lot of his tracks from the first game throughout the others, and sometimes remake them, but the original stuff isn't his... and it's passably decent, but it feels like they're trying to recapture his specific style without actually having his level of talent.

The Ghost Trick track Awakening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybi0-OTvoXM) instantly recalls everything was so right with the first Ace Attorney's score... the game is fantastic, and his work on it really sells the drama going on in the game. Early GOTY contender right here, especially if you're really into this kind of thing.

Boney

Banned
Chemo said:
They re-use a lot of his tracks from the first game throughout the others, and sometimes remake them, but the original stuff isn't his... and it's passably decent, but it feels like they're trying to recapture his specific style without actually having his level of talent.

The Ghost Trick track Awakening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybi0-OTvoXM) instantly recalls everything was so right with the first Ace Attorney's score... the game is fantastic, and his work on it really sells the drama going on in the game. Early GOTY contender right here, especially if you're really into this kind of thing.
I hope you're not saying Edgeworth's theme is passably decent.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I almost feel like they need to push their forgiveness a level further. Like, allow you to rewind to the last trick a handful of times per checkpoint.

Drkirby said:
Hey, I think I may of found a slight plot hole. Ending spoilers and such.

If Missle couldn't of used the phone lines on his own, and brought up having trouble following Red Suit, he really should not of been able to make it to the Sub at all in the orignal timeline?
Unless he was just hanging out in something someone took here.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe. Could of just showed an extra 3 or 4 seconds of how he got there, but no big deal, just something I noticed.

KingDirk

Sugimori's great, but Iwadare's right up there, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure that Trials and Tribulations has my favorite soundtrack of the bunch.

Peff

Rez said:
I almost feel like they need to push their forgiveness a level further. Like, allow you to rewind to the last trick a handful of times per checkpoint.

I thought that an energy bar or five exclamation marks or whatever would have made it more tense too, but in the end I think for most people it would have just meant save spamming like in AA, which is probably the reason why they took it out in the first place.

From the earlier quote tree, still ending spoilers.

Drkirby said:
Maybe. Could of just showed an extra 3 or 4 seconds of how he got there, but no big deal, just something I noticed.
Well, Jowd managed to get there, so I assume he just hitched a ride on the boat with Yomiel, as well.

Chemo

Boney said:
I hope you're not saying Edgeworth's theme is passably decent.
That's maybe the one piece of post-AA1 music I have any sort of attachment for, but even that piece lacks any of the subtlety or polish or melodic insanity that made the score for the first such an aural masterpiece.

This is really not something I want to get into in the GHOST TRICK thread, though. I love this game so much, and I'm just glad Sugimori is back because he's easily one of my favorite composers. The work he does with the AA team is unbelievable.

Top Bottom