• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Poyunch

Datschge said:
Someone needs to write impressions after every single chapter on the first playthrough. Every chapter ends with a twist and a cliff hanger. Reading those impressions after completing the whole rollercoaster ride should be a lot of fun. (laughs)
I shall do it when my game comes in!

Wizpig said:
Is the Christmas Demo still on the Nintendo channel?

I think it's all original content that is not in the full game, soo...

The plot of the demo is original but the characters, scenario, objects and things to do to complete goals, everything is from the full game

JEKKI

omg playing chapter

this game jus made me do the most unexpected thing!!

I had to restart my DS jus to see it again before I continued on!!!

JEKKI said:
omg playing chapter

this game jus made me do the most unexpected thing!!

I had to restart my DS jus to see it again before I continued on!!!
lol wait what happened again? also, you can replay chapters after you beat them

JEKKI

Crumpet Trumpet said:
lol wait what happened again? also, you can replay chapters after you beat them
well it was towards the end of the chapter, when you do it it leads you into the next one.

I had my save file up to that point and jus started playing again when I got home.

played for like a minute, restarted my system, played for another minute and a half, then decided to play the rest tomorrow =P

JEKKI said:
well it was towards the end of the chapter, when you do it it leads you into the next one.

I had my save file up to that point and jus started playing again when I got home.

played for like a minute, restarted my system, played for another minute and a half, then decided to play the rest tomorrow =P
Ohhh haha I get it now

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just finished Chapter 7

I still think the Detective is the Girls Father, and the Justice guy has to be the guy in green who looks a tad like Quercus Alba from AAI, which I will likely have to get him and his wife to make up in order to stop the execution. Also, lets start tossing some odd ideas off the wall. I am going to predict the main character told the girl to shoot him in order to do what he is doing now, solving the case, some how being informed of the ghosts tricks before hand. Also, the information on ghosts tricks and the such is what the blue guys are after.

Some other small predictions that will likely be totally wrong, the doctor isn't in with the bad guys despite being blue, the pidgin guy is also doing his own investigation on the paranormal independently, but his research will be needed at some point, the music box will have some sort of magic rock inside of it, and the fact the other two in the jail are trying to break out is coincidental.

I'll stick with my impression and my "Plot twist!" like theories on what happen which may or may not be to out there, since you all seem to want someone to post impressions for the first play though.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Datschge said:
Someone needs to write impressions after every single chapter on the first playthrough. Every chapter ends with a twist and a cliff hanger. Reading those impressions after completing the whole rollercoaster ride should be a lot of fun. (laughs)
I might give this a go, I've only done the tutorial bit.

Mzo

I think this is the best DS game I have ever played. I completely fell in love with it and couldn't put it down until it was all over.

I'm kind of sad that I plowed through it in two marathon sessions. I want my brain to forget everything so I can go through it all again.

Just spent all last night into the early morning powering through this game. So fantastic, and totally worth sleep deprivation. I'd have to say it's at least as good as the AA series. Kinda want to wait a bit before I dare say it's better, though.

Wizpig

rockman zx said:
The plot of the demo is original but the characters, scenario, objects and things to do to complete goals, everything is from the full game
Ok, thanks.

Oh and Game Informer = 6/10.
Lolz Gamestop.
worst magazine ever.

Ramenman

Just noticed something. Probably just a problem with the english translation, but completely incoherent.

END SPOILERS ETC.

So Sissel is a cat, he doesn't know how to read, he doesn't know what are bullets, etc. Yet he refers to the contraption that kills Lynne under the superintendant's office as a "Rube Goldberg Machine". I mean come on D:
Maybe the guy who did the localisation didn't know the whole plot beforehand or something.

Just finished it. It's an awesome J-adventure game and I'm really glad I've bought it on day 1, instead of waiting for a price cut (like I usually do). This kind of games needs our support to remain alive.

The twisty plot is very good and engrossing.
The whole meteor thing is somewhat off, but not because it adds to the paranormal aspects; instead because it adds a sci-fi aspect to a ghost story. It kinda tries to explain a paranormal phenomenon with a parascientific explanation. It's just... odd.

The puzzles are a little on the easy side and reading the "suggestion balloons" feels almost like cheating. But how could you not read them: they are often funny and they help knowing the characters! But J-adventures are almost always plot-centered, thus I'm not too surprised or disappointed.

Missile ftw! I confess I didn't like him at first, but that changed fast! :D

I love the graphics and the animations: having no direct control over the characters gave the animators the opportunity to put a lot of effort on every single movement. Amazing.

Mzo

IGN said:

The 2D sprites move more fluidly than even some cartoons and it's a joy to simply watch characters dance around onscreen.
They are right about the animations being awesome, but to my old eyes they don't look like no 2D sprites I've ever seen.

Mzo

Ramenman said:
Just noticed something. Probably just a problem with the english translation, but completely incoherent.

END SPOILERS ETC.

So Sissel is a cat, he doesn't know how to read, he doesn't know what are bullets, etc. Yet he refers to the contraption that kills Lynne under the superintendant's office as a "Rube Goldberg Machine". I mean come on D:
Maybe the guy who did the localisation didn't know the whole plot beforehand or something.
That's because he's played Mouse Trap.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mzo said:
IGN said:

They are right about the animations being awesome, but to my old eyes they don't look like no 2D sprites I've ever seen.
I believe they're rotoscoped. That would explain the 3D look and the incredible fluidity.

Volcynika

Really wish they would've informed you about skipping text that you've already seen before.

(This is me not reading the instruction book due to being conditioned to them explaining everything in the game anyways!)

Volcynika said:
Really wish they would've informed you about skipping text that you've already seen before.
Having played PW before, I had no problem thinking that you could skip (or FF) them and how to do so. But, yes, I can't say it's too intuitive.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, still in chapter 7, but here are my wild theories. Don't spoil anything based on them, but some people should get enjoyment out of this.
The lamp is really Sissel from the future, come back in time to make sure everything goes according to plan. Sissel really cares about D99 for some reason, to the point that he's willing to ask Lynne to shoot him because Lamp Sissel connected with him psychically and told him that if he died tonight, he could save D99 by being a ghost.

End Spoilers:
Had anyone else worked out
Sissel's true identity by the beginning of Chapter 15?
At least I think that's when I realised, it might have been earlier.

The_Technomancer said:
I believe they're rotoscoped. That would explain the 3D look and the incredible fluidity.

They're not, they're just hand animated 3D models like most CG movies have. I think they're rendered into 16 colour sprites before they get on to the DS. Obviously the nature of the game is more suited to this kind of animation than others, but it would work almost as well in a 2D fighter.

zigg

Graphics Horse said:
They're not, they're just hand animated 3D models like most CG movies have. I think they're rendered into 16 colour sprites before they get on to the DS. Obviously the nature of the game is more suited to this kind of animation than others, but it would work almost as well in a 2D fighter.
I am probably just way out of touch or something but I don't get what disqualifies them from being 3D models rendered on the DS. Obviously the backgrounds aren't, but it seems within the DS' capabilties to render what's going on in the game.

Yottamole

Banned
zigg said:
I am probably just way out of touch or something but I don't get what disqualifies them from being 3D models rendered on the DS. Obviously the backgrounds aren't, but it seems within the DS' capabilties to render what's going on in the game.
'Cause they said:
In terms of the smooth animation, for example, that you were mentioning, if we made them in 3D, like if we made them with 3D polygons, and rendered them in 3D and stuff, you kinda start to see the limitations of the DS. It's not as high spec'd to be able to handle that many polygons. But we still wanted that smooth animation and smooth movements, so what we did was we actually made the 3D polygons, but then we rendered all the 3D polygons and all the motions to these 2D sprites and these 2D actions. So you end up with this incredible smooth and incredibly well animated motions for these characters, but without having to use the 3D polygons.

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-interview-ghost-trick-s-shu-takumi-179528.phtml

edit: thanks^

zigg said:

To be honest it's hard to tell, but I think if it was native DS 3D they'd have given them smoother edges courtesy of the hardware edge antialiasing of the DS.
The animation is very detailed though, and must involve a lot more bones than your standard DS game animations.
edit:
They could have stored it as a different 3D model for each frame, which I think some DS games do, but using a non-lossy compressed animation format(similar to 16 colour gifs) might give it even less data to get through, and easier to port too ;)

From the shots of the iPhone game it looks to be using upscaled sprites, possibly.

Graphics Horse said:
From the shots of the iPhone game it looks to be using upscaled sprites, possibly.
If you want to have an idea how would they look in hd, you should see the commercial for the game: the sprites are really smooth, with very simple textures on them (see missile's fur) and possibliy low-poly. I think those are the original models, which have been downscaled for the DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwH4ZRyN2B0

Wizpig

NxTP0.gif

Nemesis_

This game is like an awesome concert! Even after you're done, it keeps resonating with you and you just want to experience it again!

Versipellis said:
If you want to have an idea how would they look in hd, you should see the commercial for the game: the sprites are really smooth, with very simple textures on them (see missile's fur) and possibliy low-poly. I think those are the original models, which have been downscaled for the DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwH4ZRyN2B0
This just reminds me how great the style of the game is.

It is incredibly unique.

Ramenman said:

END SPOILERS ETC.

A (poor) explanation of this could be that
Sissel heard the expression when Yomiel was planning to kill Anna with Kamila's contraption.

Ruzai said:
ANSWER ABOUT ENDING SPOILERS
Sissel's original death in the junkyard is erased, however, in the course of the last chapter when the meteor's path is changed, it misses Yomiel and instead strikes and kills Sissel. That's why Lynne mentioned the kitten's body was limp. The fact that Jowd mentions seeing no injury, Sissel's eternal youth, and the surrounding radiation in the final view of the ghost world are meant to indicate that Sissel is now the carrier of the fragment instead of Yomiel.

THOUGHS ABOUT SAID ANSWER ABOUT ENDING SPOILERS
I don't think the cat got killed by the fragment. I think it just wounded the poor creature. There are no deaths at the end of the story.
If the cat were dead, Sissel shouldn't be able to manipulate his body, since he can only manipulate objects (and there's no time for him to develop new powers like 10-years-after Yomiel and 10-y-a Missile did). The fragment went through Jowd's leg and hit the cat in the leg (hence the limp). The powers of the fragment are still in effect, though.

If there's a sequel, I hope they try and use the ability to get back in time to make Sissel collaborate with his "4 minutes before" self.
Like in chapter 1, when the guitar plays "on its own" because 4-m-b Sissel plays it

Ceebs

Versipellis said:
A (poor) explanation of this could be that
Sissel heard the expression when Yomiel was planning to kill Anna with Kamila's contraption.

THOUGHS ABOUT SAID ANSWER ABOUT ENDING SPOILERS
I don't think the cat got killed by the fragment. I think it just wounded the poor creature. There are no deaths at the end of the story.
If the cat were dead, Sissel shouldn't be able to manipulate his body, since he can only manipulate objects (and there's no time for him to develop new powers like 10-years-after Yomiel and 10-y-a Missile did). The fragment went through Jowd's leg and hit the cat in the leg (since the limp). The powers of the fragment are still in effect, though.

If there's a sequel, I hope they try and use the ability to get back in time to make Sissel collaborate with his "4 minutes before" self.
Like in chapter 1, when the guitar plays "on its own" because 4-m-b Sissel plays it

My take on the ending was

If you go with Sissel being killed by the meteor fragment in the park then powers he gained would be those that were fated for Yomiel. Like the manipulation powers are like the base powers and all the others are mutations.

Ceebs said:
My take on the ending was

If you go with Sissel being killed by the meteor fragment in the park then powers he gained would be those that were fated for Yomiel. Like the manipulation powers are like the base powers and all the others are mutations.

That could be as well, but don't forget Missile got the same kind of powers when he died near the fragment in the park and when he died near Yomiel in the 10-years-after Missile scenario. I think the mutations are linked to the soul - or maybe to the kind of creature: humans get to manipulate living creatures, dogs can switch objects and cats can manipulate objects. Of course this is just speculation, since we don't have a canon to refer to.

On the other hand:
If the cat didn't die, then I don't know why he's still young, since the power of the meteor can return a body to 4 minutes before a death (thus giving immortality). But without a death in the beginning, that shouldn't apply.

JEKKI

whooo!! I beat it!!

2011 GOTY!! I loved it!!

I dont get tho,
so Missile also has the power to go back in time?? I guess he does...

JEKKI said:
I dont get tho,
so Missile also has the power to go back in time?? I guess he does...

Yes, There is a
green hourglass sequence when you find his power mid game.
edit: spoilered just in case.

zigg

Ending spoilers, sequel talk:

You know, with that convenient Temsik fragment lodged in Jowd's leg, Jowd himself is a vehicle for further powers-of-the-dead making.

Do I hear a SEQUEL TEASE

Also why the heck is it Jowd and not Jord. Jord sounds better!

zigg said:
Ending spoilers, sequel talk:

You know, with that convenient Temsik fragment lodged in Jowd's leg, Jowd himself is a vehicle for further powers-of-the-dead making.

Do I hear a SEQUEL TEASE

Also why the heck is it Jowd and not Jord. Jord sounds better!
The fragment only grazed Jowd's leg, he even says so himself. It grazed past his leg and became lodged in Sissel, who was probably hiding in the nearby bushes.

zigg

Zero-Crescent said:
The fragment only grazed Jowd's leg, he even says so himself. It grazed past his leg and became lodged in Sissel, who was probably hiding in the nearby bushes.

Goodness me, I am looking like a total idiot lately. That's what I get for being away from the game for so long, I guess. And my wife has only done chapter 1 so far :(

Jintor

Ramenman said:

END SPOILERS ETC.

Continuity gets thrown out for the sake of a quick joke sometimes. I mean, a lot of shit in the plot you wouldn't expect a cat to know how to deal with.

Volcynika

I'm stuck at Chapter

I kinda have the general idea of what to do, but I'm completely lost in how to do it. Something with switching the round objects to stop the guy running. Hrm.

dream

Fuck, did I really just
influence a woman to kill a rat so I could cause a blackout resulting in her using her ass to light a match?

edit:
wtf now I'm setting the poor rat's tail on fire

my god the absurdity of this scene :heatbench

LiK

Volcynika said:
I'm stuck at Chapter

I kinda have the general idea of what to do, but I'm completely lost in how to do it. Something with switching the round objects to stop the guy running. Hrm.

can you be more specific? i dont remember the chapters.

Top Bottom