• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

I just realized something. Sissel is rocking the Gurren Lagann glasses
when he reverts to a blank spirit
. Lynne also kind of looks like Yoko. I wonder if Takumi or anyone on the art team was watching TTGL while making this.

sfried

cosmicblizzard said:
I just realized something. Sissel is rocking the Gurren Lagann glasses
when he reverts to a blank spirit
. Lynne also kind of looks like Yoko. I wonder if Takumi or anyone on the art team was watching TTGL while making this.
"Who the hell do you I think I am?...wait, who the hell do I think I am?"

Wizpig

LiK said:
man, i want US version of the iOS version. i wanna see the gorgeous graphics on the retina display.
Too bad actually playing it on iOS sounds bad to me.
At least give me a button to advance text... i always use them in these games (AA too) instead of doing everything via touch screen.

iPad... yeah, i can see the charm.
But iPhone/iPod, not really.

I'll probably download the free chapter on the iPod Touch when/if it hits Europe, but other than that i'll stop with the DS version, where the game was meant to come out in the first place.

As for a sequel, i hope this sells REALLY WELL, but i don't actually wish for a sequel right now - i'm in chapter 5 or 6.
It's one of those games that, like TWEWY, maybe are more memorable if there's only one of them.

Of course maybe i'll change my mind, we'll see, but more developers should think like Team Meat. (no sequel to SMB, etc.)

That being said, holy crap, it will be hard to return to the Ace Attorney Investigations animations after seeing the amazing GT animations...

Datschge

I'm looking forward to potential iOS releases here since I know several people who have such systems but no DS to whom I can recommend the game then.

Stencil

Frankly, the soundtrack isn't so "wow" to me, so I'm happy that I got the Phoenix Wright bundle over at Capcom (never played any Phoenix Wright games) as opposed to the Amazon pre-order, but maybe I should listen with headphones, for good measure.

The animation is super great, really fluid, makes me want a DSi XL. I'm on Ch. 14 or so in my third sitting (thanks in part to insomnia), sad to hear there's only 18 or so chapters.

But I suppose I've got Phoenix Wright waiting, though that series never really jumped out at me. May as well try it, nothing to lose. It just seems so much more text/less action heavy.

LiK

Stencil said:
Frankly, the soundtrack isn't so "wow" to me, so I'm happy that I got the Phoenix Wright bundle over at Capcom (never played any Phoenix Wright games) as opposed to the Amazon pre-order, but maybe I should listen with headphones, for good measure.

The animation is super great, really fluid, makes me want a DSi XL. I'm on Ch. 14 or so in my third sitting (thanks in part to insomnia), sad to hear there's only 18 or so chapters.

But I suppose I've got Phoenix Wright waiting, though that series never really jumped out at me. May as well try it, nothing to lose. It just seems so much more text/less action heavy.
Wow, I forgot about my GT preorder OST from Amazon. Thanks lol

see5harp

I started playing this game and really enjoying the animation and unique timing based adventure gaming. THIS WOULD WORK PERFECTLY ON iPad and would actually prefer this, 999, and Picross 3D on the iPad.

Fusebox

Banned
I played the Flash demo, loved it, bought the game for my DSi XL and it's like watching the Flash demo through a screendoor. Bring on the iPad version, this sexy animation deserves a way better screen.

Wizpig said:
Too bad actually playing it on iOS sounds bad to me.
At least give me a button to advance text... i always use them in these games (AA too) instead of doing everything via touch screen.

Y'know how you can also advance text by tapping anywhere on the screen? Just mimic the motion of tapping an A button anywhere and the text will advance.

Jintor

sfried said:
"Who the hell do you I think I am?...wait, who the hell do I think I am?"

I laughed.

Is it just me or were none of those tracks actually tagged?

They weren't.

Protip for soundtrack people: Listen via something with awesome bass. Fairly bass heavy soundtrack.

sfried

Fusebox said:
Y'know how you can also advance text by tapping anywhere on the screen? Just mimic the motion of tapping an A button anywhere and the text will advance.
On the DS, you can fast forward by holding down the B button. You can also relook some of the dialogue by pressing UP during conversations.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm aware of that, and I'm sure the iOS version will have some kind of approximation of a B button and some work-around to review dialogue.

You know, even though I don't own an iOS device, the announcement of an iOS version is actually perventing me from buying the game. Shame, as it seems fantastic, but I hate the thought of paying more for an inferior version. I'll probably buy an Ipod Touch sometime later this year and buy it then.

Jonnyram

sfried said:
On the DS, you can fast forward by holding down the B button. You can also relook some of the dialogue by pressing UP during conversations.
I don't know how the DS version is, but on the iOS version, when you retry a sequence, you can skip most of the dialogue totally. A speech bubble will pop up and you can tap it to hear what they're saying, but if you've already heard it, it will show a tick over it and you can skip. Also, you can see past dialogue by swiping up on the screen during a conversation.

Jintor

That's actually true for the DS as well, so it's all cool

DS you press... up on the D-pad or something to review conversations... I think

Yes, my order finally arrived today!!!! Will dig into this tonight. I'm actually hoping for a fairly quick (but highly enjoyable) playthrough, as I may not have a lot of free time after a week or so...

Tutomos

Really liked the game. Shu Takumi, that guy is pretty good. One small knock about the game, the side characters weren't as interesting compared to AC.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just beat it. All I can say is wow. For the record, I think AA3 more, but this comes close. The story was very satisfying in the end. And the animation... oh the animation. The best I've ever seen in a video game in terms of style and detail.

And I'm done. Excellent, excellent game.
While I think I personally prefer his Ace Attorney trilogy, I would still say Ghost Trick may be Takumi's masterpiece yet. The story is fantastic and intriguing throughout the end, has lot's of lovable, quirky characters and a great dynamic between them. It's kind of remarkable how Takumi, as a Japanese guy, is able to do all this without taking itself too seriously and creating forced, awkward drama -- we don't get that very often. I feel he really is somewhat one of kind in this industry and he is no doubt one of my favorite writers, too.
It's a bit difficult to say anything bad about Ghost Trick. The gameplay, music and animation (woah), too, contribute more or less flawlessly to a unique experience. Two or three puzzles were too Trial & Error for my taste, I guess. And [Endgame spoiler]
it was not super great how the game kinda took away the great revelation of Sissle's identity in the end. The moment Jowd casually mentions the kitty in the final chapter made it pretty clear what Sissle's true self was.
[/Endgame spoiler] But yeah, I don't feel really bad about these points.

I guess now it's time to wait for Layton vs. Ace Attorney. Maybe we even get to play that in just 18 months from now... :(
Oh, and I demand at least a Missile cameo. What a fun guy. <3

slaughterking said:
And I'm done. Excellent, excellent game.
While I think I personally prefer his Ace Attorney trilogy, I would still say Ghost Trick may be Takumi's masterpiece yet. The story is fantastic and intriguing throughout the end, has lot's of lovable, quirky characters and a great dynamic between them. It's kind of remarkable how Takumi, as a Japanese guy, is able to do all this without taking itself too seriously and creating forced, awkward drama -- we don't get that very often. I feel he really is somewhat one of kind in this industry and he is no doubt one of my favorite writers, too.
It's a bit difficult to say anything bad about Ghost Trick. The gameplay, music and animation (woah), too, contribute more or less flawlessly to a unique experience. Two or three puzzles were too Trial & Error for my taste, I guess. And [Endgame spoiler]
it was not super great how the game kinda took away the great revelation of Sissle's identity in the end. The moment Jowd casually mentions the kitty in the final chapter made it pretty clear what Sissle's true self was.
[/Endgame spoiler] But yeah, I don't feel really bad about these points.

I guess now it's time to wait for Layton vs. Ace Attorney. Maybe we even get to play that in just 18 months from now... :(
Oh, and I demand at least a Missile cameo. What a fun guy. <3

Not knocking Takumi here, but a good chunk of Japanese games are like that. Hell, there are entire companies that thrive on that kind of storytelling like Gust and Nippon Ichi.

Nah, I don't agree, they are just goofy and most of the time they still construct that stupid drama that apparently appeals to the young Japanese audience with their heroic speeches and all that shit that infests pretty much any Anime at some point.

Stencil said:

Phoenix Wright may be text heavy, but I'd be lying if it didn't get me more pumped up than any other game I can think of.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just finished. What a ride; I can't wait for Takumi's scenario for Gyakuten vs. Layton.

It got almost too complicated by the end though, I think I have to play a few of the chapters again I think.

Favorite tracks:

Captive of Fate
A White Lovely Lanky Man
Trauma

Might change after a few listens though, but those pieces are the immediate standouts. The main theme is also really good, but a little overplayed.

Busaiku

Finished this just a little while ago.
It was an amazing game.

The characters were all lovable and the music was great. The gameplay was also pretty good, especially in the latter portion of the game.
Missle was of course the best, but everyone was great. Loved Bailey's dancing.

It's a shame we probably won't be seeing more.
The conclusion was fine, but I liked the concept and would've liked to see more.

Chacranajxy said:
So does Best Buy carry this? It isnt on their site, so I'm not sure :(
It's bullshit. I've been to seven Gamestops, a Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy and even a damn K-Mart (wow very depressing place nowadays), over the course of two days looking for a SEALED copy of Ghost Trick.

For some strange reason NOBODY carries it but Gamestop. Absolutely nobody.

Six of the seven Gamestops I visited, the clerks looked at me like I asked for a hot bowl of balloons smothered in banana flavored tabasco sauce when I asked for "Ghost Trick".

They had no clue what I was talking about. Each one of them looked in their database and saw that they had "their last copy" (yes they ALL really said that). I asked if it was sealed and this is Gamestop so of course it wasn't. I declined and moved on. It's like I was in the Twilight Zone and walking through a time loop.

So basically each Gamestop only received a single copy of Ghost Trick, which they then gutted right away to display the box. Of the seven Gamestops I went to, all but one had their one copy. This is in southern California btw.

Capcom pretty much sent Ghost Trick to die. I don't know how it sold in Japan or how it's selling online and in the rest of the world and US, but if my city were any indication of how the game is doing, there won't be a Ghost Trick 2, that's for sure.

What a waste of a great game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Dark Octave said:
It's bullshit. I've been to seven Gamestops, a Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy and even a damn K-Mart (wow very depressing place nowadays), over the course of two days looking for a SEALED copy of Ghost Trick.

For some strange reason NOBODY carries it but Gamestop. Absolutely nobody.

Six of the seven Gamestops I visited, the clerks looked at me like I asked for a hot bowl of balloons smothered in banana flavored tabasco sauce when I asked for "Ghost Trick".

They had no clue what I was talking about. Each one of them looked in their database and saw that they had "their last copy" (yes they ALL really said that). I asked if it was sealed and this is Gamestop so of course it wasn't. I declined and moved on. It's like I was in the Twilight Zone and walking through a time loop.

So basically each Gamestop only received a single copy of Ghost Trick, which they then gutted right away to display the box. Of the seven Gamestops I went to, all but one had their one copy. This is in southern California btw.

Capcom pretty much sent Ghost Trick to die. I don't know how it sold in Japan or how it's selling online and in the rest of the world and US, but if my city were any indication of how the game is doing, there won't be a Ghost Trick 2, that's for sure.

What a waste of a great game.
It's safe to assume this is WW. Had to look around for 3 hours to get mine. Maybe they are going to do a reprint if it does well, but they are playing if safe like they did with the later Phoenix Wright games

It's definitely depressing but the retail part of the industry is pretty reliant on pre-orders after all. It's a shame since I want this to do well more than any other game in recent memory.

Top Bottom