• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Datschge

sfried said:
I will say this: Whoever localized this game deserves a promotion, or maybe a medal.
Aside from one simple logical error i.e. Sissel's statement of Rube Goldberg
the game's dialogue was smooth, very easy to follow, and even at the craziest of times, still sounded natural. That's not an easy feat.
The German translation (which I played first) is also spot on. Need to recheck whether your spoiler thing is even mentioned there (as I can't recall it) or if it depends on the language set. May well be that there are some rather crucial differences between translations/editing.

Ami, maybe you could try to ignore personal attacks (make it your tag)? This would make the attackers look more out of place. =P Let's just stay on topic.

Wizpig

GT get.

7da99a42ce9810b7e859b62394d72c73.jpg

For those of you who got the soundtrack as an Amazon bonus: any quick fixes for properly titling/ordering the tracks? I haven't actually listened to the music yet because the mp3's are confusing my iPhone...

Actually, I may just wait until I get the game so I can appreciate the tracks in context first. My poor 2-week delayed shipment may finally get here by early next week? (hopehopehope)

Just finished it! 2 hours earlier and another hour and a half just now. My thoughts still stand - an absolutely fantastic game. Characters, music, gameplay and loads of character. If this is the start of the 'decline' of the DS then bring on more of the same! Obviously there's a long, long time left in the year and a hell of a lot more games to come but I can say now that even if this doesn't end up as one of my top ten 2011 games, it's already cemented an honourable mention. Great stuff :)

I’m happy to report that I think this game is growing on me. I still find myself bored for brief moments, but things are still looking pretty good....

The story is starting to interest me too.
I just saw Lynne shoot Sissel on the tape.
And Missile might not be funny, but I still think he’s mega cute!

slaughterking said:
You're still WELCOME, though. :I

<3 <3 <3

eshwaaz

I'm on Chapter 8 now - this game is absolutely fantastic. I have never been into portable gaming, but the Flash demo sold me on Ghost Trick. The characters and dialog are appealing and charming, and premise is unique and brilliantly executed, and the story is genuinely interesting and engaging.

And the animation - holy crap, the animation. Seriously some of the most impressive animation I've ever seen in a video game, portable or otherwise. Every time I encounter a new character or see a new sequence, I'm practically giddy just watching how the motions are presented. So much care and creativity was put into every action whether it's a character or a simple prop.

jgkspsx

Fiancée:
ShockingAlberto said:
More or less. They never really say how she died, but since she survived in the alternate timeline, I guess grief is a logical answer. She had no way of knowing Yomiel was not technically dead.
I thought it pretty directly said she committed suicide. "She decided to follow him," or somesuch.

Jintor said:
I'm really hoping this hype translates into some good sales and that this won't just be a critical darling.

Well both the bundle with PW and the individual copy are backordered on the Capcom store. Not sure if that really means anything though. Been in the 40s-50s range on Amazon in video games, but that also means nothing probably.

I hope it does well too. I'd love for this to turn into a series (or at least get a spiritual (lol) successor). I'd honestly be 100% cool with Takumi never giving a real conclusion to AA if it meant more of this.

Jenga

Banned
also, one big question about the ending

why the hell does Yomiel get 10 years in prison? In the original timeline doesn't it say he was proven innocent 6 months later? Not that it matters much since Yomiel got to time-skip all of it anyway

Jenga

Banned
btw, does anyone else feel the romance author's theme song is basically a feminine version of Godot's theme? Excellent song.

wsippel

Banned
Jenga said:
also, one big question about the ending

why the hell does Yomiel get 10 years in prison? In the original timeline doesn't it say he was proven innocent 6 months later? Not that it matters much since Yomiel got to time-skip all of it anyway
He might not have been a spy, but he still stole a gun, took a hostage and threatened a detective.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ugh, I was stuck for ages on the chapter with the minister :/ Finally found it after 20 tries. Love how the game puts you on a different track than you're supposed to

Haunted said:
Cabanela

A Dashing Enigma

These are my personal favourites. Second one could be straight out of a PW game.
Ha, my first thought as well. Love the soundtrack, has some real gems in it.

//B1G

Banned
help please. at the chicken kitchen, and can't find anything close enough to possess. i've read the thing that says ring the bell 3 times, but after doing so she doesn't bring any water. i imagine she'd bring a tray you can latch on to or something, but it's always the same string of dialog.

the sprites and animations in this are awesome! so are the backgrounds too, though. very awesome art. are there any gif's or anything of it?

//B1G said:
help please. at the chicken kitchen, and can't find anything close enough to possess. i've read the thing that says ring the bell 3 times, but after doing so she doesn't bring any water. i imagine she'd bring a tray you can latch on to or something, but it's always the same string of dialog.
Are you ringing it three times in a row? Not just ring -> she comes -> ring -> she comes? It's ring ring ring -> she comes with a pitcher of water.

//B1G

Banned
hmm, i recall not being able to do another ghost trick because it goes right to that animation or whatever. i'll try again, though

jett

D-Member
Although the story kind of went full retard somewhere along the way, I gotta say I loved the game all the same. Missile FTW.

The_Technomancer said:
Did this incredible video get posted? It was mentioned as having come from Gaming Side (someone posted it in the OT) but I didn't see it here.

That was me poorly wording "Here's a gaming-related version" actually. I'm pretty impressed how fast that version was put together, considering the date on the origin video.

Grisby

jett said:
Although the story kind of went full retard somewhere along the way, I gotta say I loved the game all the same. Missile FTW.

TRscU.jpg

Yeah, I agree. The story went pretty crazy but I still had fun with it just the same. Inspired me to check out the AA game somewheres down the road.

Boney

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Does anyone know where to get this game in (preferably Mexican) Spanish?

Or does the US English version have a language option?
The american copy has a language option.

Wouldn't know how funny Missile is in it though.

zigg

Boney said:
The american copy has a language option.

Wouldn't know how funny Missile is in it though.

I should replay it in Spanish, using my exceedingly rusty high-school Spanish chops to see.

Sloane

Banned
Jintor said:
I'm really hoping this hype translates into some good sales and that this won't just be a critical darling.
Me too. I usually don't like sequels but Takumi's writing and especially his characters always are incredible -- I need more Missile!!

Top Bottom