• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Jintor

Dark Octave said:
It's bullshit. I've been to seven Gamestops, a Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy and even a damn K-Mart (wow very depressing place nowadays), over the course of two days looking for a SEALED copy of Ghost Trick.

For some strange reason NOBODY carries it but Gamestop. Absolutely nobody.

Six of the seven Gamestops I visited, the clerks looked at me like I asked for a hot bowl of balloons smothered in banana flavored tabasco sauce when I asked for "Ghost Trick".

They had no clue what I was talking about. Each one of them looked in their database and saw that they had "their last copy" (yes they ALL really said that). I asked if it was sealed and this is Gamestop so of course it wasn't. I declined and moved on. It's like I was in the Twilight Zone and walking through a time loop.

So basically each Gamestop only received a single copy of Ghost Trick, which they then gutted right away to display the box. Of the seven Gamestops I went to, all but one had their one copy. This is in southern California btw.

Capcom pretty much sent Ghost Trick to die. I don't know how it sold in Japan or how it's selling online and in the rest of the world and US, but if my city were any indication of how the game is doing, there won't be a Ghost Trick 2, that's for sure.

What a waste of a great game.

This sort of shit is why Nintendo needs to get a digital distribution network up and running for full-scale DS/handheld games. Hell, all they really need to do is co-opt the R4 illegal piracy networks that already exist, put a Steam overlay over it, promote it heavily with massive sales every once in a while and ta-dah! No more having to deal with actual supply, potential devestation to the piracy network, all this shit. Hell, parents already think the R4 is 'that device you use to get your games', the big N just needs to figure out how to work with that.

Really hoping the 3DS shop will have something along these lines, but who knows

Dark Octave said:
Capcom pretty much sent Ghost Trick to die. I don't know how it sold in Japan or how it's selling online and in the rest of the world and US, but if my city were any indication of how the game is doing, there won't be a Ghost Trick 2, that's for sure.
The game was published by Nintendo in Europe and you can definitely tell. There are plenty of copies everywhere.
This is more of a demonstration of Nintendo's influence than anything else, but stuffing the channels is probably the best they could do. :p

seady

Played for a while, the game seems to have the same problem like the Phoenix Wright series : too many trials and errors. In fact, it's even more so than PW because there are more logic to those cases. Here, a lot of things are very random and you won't know what will happen until you mess with it.

Feep

Banned
Dark Octave said:
It's bullshit. I've been to seven Gamestops, a Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy and even a damn K-Mart (wow very depressing place nowadays), over the course of two days looking for a SEALED copy of Ghost Trick.

For some strange reason NOBODY carries it but Gamestop. Absolutely nobody.

Six of the seven Gamestops I visited, the clerks looked at me like I asked for a hot bowl of balloons smothered in banana flavored tabasco sauce when I asked for "Ghost Trick".

They had no clue what I was talking about. Each one of them looked in their database and saw that they had "their last copy" (yes they ALL really said that). I asked if it was sealed and this is Gamestop so of course it wasn't. I declined and moved on. It's like I was in the Twilight Zone and walking through a time loop.

So basically each Gamestop only received a single copy of Ghost Trick, which they then gutted right away to display the box. Of the seven Gamestops I went to, all but one had their one copy. This is in southern California btw.

What a waste of a great game.
Never understood the obsession with having a plastic wrapper around your game. Do you want to have fun?

Up to Chapter 10. Yeah, this is not as good as some of you are making it out to be.

It has really fantastic moments, but the amount of crap you have to go through is hardly worth it.

And Chapter 9 flat-out sucked! At this point I kinda just want it to end. It’s starting to bore me.....

Tricky I Shadow said:
Up to Chapter 10. Yeah, this is not as good as some of you are making it out to be.

It has really fantastic moments, but the amount of crap you have to go through is hardly worth it.

And Chapter 9 flat-out sucked! At this point I kinda just want it to end. It’s starting to bore me.....

Just wait until chapter 14.

OMG Aero

slaughterking said:
The game was published by Nintendo in Europe and you can definitely tell. There are plenty of copies everywhere.
This is more of a demonstration of Nintendo's influence than anything else, but stuffing the channels is probably the best they could do. :p
I don't watch a lot of TV nowadays so do you know NoE advertised it at all? I wonder if they tried to push it like they do with the Layton games.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Jintor said:
This sort of shit is why Nintendo needs to get a digital distribution network up and running for full-scale DS/handheld games. Hell, all they really need to do is co-opt the R4 illegal piracy networks that already exist, put a Steam overlay over it, promote it heavily with massive sales every once in a while and ta-dah! No more having to deal with actual supply, potential devestation to the piracy network, all this shit. Hell, parents already think the R4 is 'that device you use to get your games', the big N just needs to figure out how to work with that.

Really hoping the 3DS shop will have something along these lines, but who knows
It does make me think about the iPod/pad support Capcom is giving this. It seems like more than just a decent effort. I wonder if they hope it'll do well on those devices or if it's just their under their general new smartphone strategy

I am still enjoying this game, despite some annoying puzzle sequences. I agree with people in terms of Trial and Error gameplay. It was fun and interesting in the beginning ,but sometimes the guesses with the traps make things more cumbersome. They repeat the style of the puzzles a bit too much.

However I have some minor annoyance towards the plot when it comes to something.
It didn't make sense to me is how when they have record of Lynne shooting Sissel, they don't mention the assassin who was chasing her or any interest of it. If he wasn't on the footage they could at least have tried to make it seem like he wasn't when its obvious he would have been.

I didn't like the prison escape part either due to some confusion regarding what you could interact with things or how you were to solve it

Out of all the puzzles I really enjoyed..
Was the one at that restaurant.. I thought it was interesting how you ended up possessing another dead body in order to prevent everything from happening. It took like small steps where you gradually discovered what was the main cause for everything

Mzo

... then he should check his pulse. The game is addicting, fun, and beyond charming. If it didn't grab you right away then you're hopeless. Move on.

mavs

Tricky I Shadow said:
I'll take your word for it. Chapter 14 had better blow me away!

I do want to see how it ends.....so I suppose I'll keep on going.

You definitely do want to see how it ends. But, I'm not sure 14 is going to blow you away if you're not feeling the game. You will at some point get to a chapter where you have to finish the game for the sake of the story.

Feep

Banned
On Tricky's side, the game isn't flawless. It really drags from Chapters 4-9, I thought, as not much new information is revealed, and the puzzles (especially the repeated trips to the prison) can be a little slow.

On not Tricky's side, I'm sure he's mentally comparing this game to 999 every step of the way, which isn't doing him any favors. It's a different beast, Tricky! = D

Hehe...well I’m trying to block 999 out while playing this but it’s kinda hard Feep! : (

I certainly don’t hate the game. It’s just not as good as I thought it was going to be.

OMG Aero said:
I don't watch a lot of TV nowadays so do you know NoE advertised it at all? I wonder if they tried to push it like they do with the Layton games.
No, not at all. I doubt they paid for even one commercial.

Feep said:
Never understood the obsession with having a plastic wrapper around your game. Do you want to have fun?

See, I can understand when it comes to disk-based games, because every time I buy a gutted 360 game at ebgames, it's scratched and smudged. But a DS game? It'll be in perfect shape. Get some goo gone for the sticker, or switch the box with a crappy ds game you own. Not worth missing a good game searching for perfection.

Back on topic, I thought the second half of this game took a huge dump on the first half, with much more interesting scenarios, and the ending was very touching.

I've played up to the end of the seventh chapter so far and nothing about it has really grabbed me yet. I've been forcing myself to play the entire time. I think I've got post-999 funk just like Tricky unfortunately!

Is it worth persevering with or is it just lost on me if I've played this long without getting into it?

LiK

Sputnik Sweetheart said:
I've played up to the end of the seventh chapter so far and nothing about it has really grabbed me yet. I've been forcing myself to play the entire time. I think I've got post-999 funk just like Tricky unfortunately!

Is it worth persevering with or is it just lost on me if I've played this long without getting into it?
Keep going, it's a slow burn but once you hit the twists, it'll all come together just like 999. :)

OMG Aero

Just out of curiosity, why do people keep comparing this to 999? I've only played the demo of that, but to me comparing 999 and Ghost Trick seems like comparing Ghost Trick and Professor Layton, they are completely different games.

Boney

Banned
OMG Aero said:
Just out of curiosity, why do people keep comparing this to 999? I've only played the demo of that, but to me comparing 999 and Ghost Trick seems like comparing Ghost Trick and Professor Layton, they are completely different games.
I got noooooidea

Hyunkel6

I did a marathon run until 3:00 am last night and finished it. Fantastic game. I hope they do a sequel. There's one thing I did not get though:
Why does everyone "lose" their memory in the end? Throughout the entire game, even when their fates were averted, they did remember who Sissel was and that he saved them from death.

zigg

OMG Aero said:

I don't know, but I'm salivating in anticipation of the eventual release of 999 Vs. Missile.

see5harp

OMG Aero said:

I think they all fall into the adventure genre. They are all pretty damn unique but 999 isn't that different from 7th Guest aside from different endings (pretty damn cool). Ghost Trick (so far at least in Chapter 4) is great but it really isn't that different than a standard adventure game aside from certain sequences requiring timing.

Boney

Banned
zigg said:
I don't know, but I'm salivating in anticipation of the eventual release of 999 Vs. Missile.
Missile being the bad guy and stuff would be awesome. Kinda like the dog ending in SH2.

OMG Aero said:
You're right. Personally speaking however, I've pretty much decided that 999 is my absolute favourite game to date. Everything is now getting compared to it regardless of genre or platform!

Hyunkel6 said:
I did a marathon run until 3:00 am last night and finished it. Fantastic game. I hope they do a sequel. There's one thing I did not get though:
Why does everyone "lose" their memory in the end? Throughout the entire game, even when their fates were averted, they did remember who Sissel was and that he saved them from death.

When they went back in time to Yomiel's death, it preceded all the stuff that happened in the game and changed the course of the future, so all the lives he saved would never actually happen.

JeTmAn81

I started playing Ghost Trick and 999 around the same time and I've dropped 999 in order to finish Ghost Trick. On the last chapter now, can't wait to find out how it ends! Looking forward to resuming 999 afterwards (I was at a part with a lot of puzzle-solving, seemed a good place to leave off).

I just finished Ghost Trick on a marathon playthrough a few nights ago, and I've just started 999. I'm going to try my best not to draw direct comparisons, but we'll see. It seems like what appear to be surface similarities (text-heavy puzzle/adventure games) are actually quite different in execution. I also agree with the posters saying that Ghost Trick's story doesn't kick into "OMG I have to finish this NOW" mode until the later chapters, but when it does, damn.

ShockingAlberto said:
I played this right after 999 and thought Ghost Trick was better!

Well you did make the thread ;)

But I agree. I would recommend both (and actually recommend they be played back to back) but I'm just more a fan of light-hearted stories with (ending spoiler?)
heart-warming endings
. I also liked the characters and gameplay slightly more. Soundtrack blows 999's out of the water imo.

zigg

Sputnik Sweetheart said:
You're right. Personally speaking however, I've pretty much decided that 999 is my absolute favourite game to date. Everything is now getting compared to it regardless of genre or platform!

999 vs. Farmville.

Go.

Feep said:
An open product is a used product.

No consumer should be forced to pay full price for a used product.

I also love having "NEW: $29.99" all over the box art underneath the plastic and directly on the paper.

eshwaaz

Dark Octave said:

I also love having "NEW: $29.99" all over the box art underneath the plastic and directly on the paper.
Exactly. Plus, if you were to try to return a game in the exact condition of one of their gutted copies that they sell as new, you would not get a full refund because Gamestop would consider it "used.". If they don't accept it as new, why should I?

Wizpig

Mzo said:
... then he should check his pulse. The game is addicting, fun, and beyond charming. If it didn't grab you right away then you're hopeless. Move on.
This.
Well, maybe not right away, but by chapter 2.

And chapter 9 was awesome.

so... :rolleyes:, I guess.
Boney said:
because you don't have a 999 avatar.

duh
This is a joke but it's probably true, by this point part of GAF is 999 defense force or something... *i'd put a laughing smiley here but i can't...*

Once again:
Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, Professor Layton, 999, Umineko and god knows what else are all different type of games!
Actually, Umineko isn't even a game.
All of these "games" have some visual novel elements, but that's like playing Halo while thinking "ffff, Metroid Prime did this better!". nonsense.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dark Octave said:

Policy changed on this a long time ago. Chances are, at least one of the seven GameStops you visited was smart enough not to do this.

With all of the driving around you did to seven different GameStops, you probably paid more than the difference between a new and pre-owned copy of the game in gas money. Congratulations on having your morals wind up costing you extra time and money!

eshwaaz said:
Exactly. Plus, if you were to try to return a game in the exact condition of one of their gutted copies that they sell as new, you would not get a full refund because Gamestop would consider it "used.". If they don't accept it as new, why should I?

GameStop will place a sticker on the case of any gutted games to indicate whether or not the product has been opened or not. You can return a gutted game as long as the sticker is there.

Further, the official terminology for GameStop is not "used", it's "pre-owned".

Feep

Banned
Dark Octave said:

No, it isn't. The game is the product, and it was not used. Therefore, it is not a used product.

I don't know why it's so hard for GS reps to send each store an empty display box, so they don't have to gut anything, but this mindset is intractably stubborn and, ultimately, worthless. Especially for DS games, nothing is wrong with the product. It's like your friend sending you a file and claiming the file is "used". Who the fuck cares?

Anyway, this is a derail. Yay Ghost Trick!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Feep said:
I don't know why it's so hard for GS reps to send each store an empty display box, so they don't have to gut anything

In addition to the extra costs, it's also significantly easier to keep track of inventory by gutting. Let's say for a moment that GameStop moved to the method of having display cases. Employees would continually have to keep track on whether or not they sold the last copy of the game or not. If they did, then they'd have to place the display case somewhere, and then pull it out whenever they got additional shipments. They'd also have to clean out that somewhere from time to time whenever they realize that certain games will no longer be sent out as new product anymore.

You're essentially looking at increasing the workload for new game processing by 50% or so. Considering that 99% of customers don't care if a new game is wrapped in plastic or not (so long as the game itself is in basically perfect condition), the costs associated with using display cases isn't worth it.

cosmicblizzard said:
Soundtrack blows 999's out of the water imo.

Definitely disagree with this.

Anyway, I'm up to Chapter 13 now and things are picking up again. I can sense a twist coming up that's going to make everything fall into place. Hopefully after that happens my appreciation for the game will go up....

Oh and today Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney finally came in the mail for me! I might make a new thread for it once I'm done with Ghost Trick. I'm really looking forward to playing it after all the praise it constantly gets!

Feep

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Definitely disagree with this.

Anyway, I'm up to Chapter 13 now and things are picking up again. I can sense a twist coming up that's going to make everything fall into place. Hopefully after that happens my appreciation for the game will go up....

Oh and today Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney finally came in the mail for me! I might make a new thread for it once I'm done with Ghost Trick. I'm really looking forward to playing it after all the praise it constantly gets!
999 is a better game, but Ghost Trick's soundtrack is significantly better, IMO. I can't recall a single 999 track off the top of my head.

You might not love Ghost Trick, but if you don't love Phoenix Wright, Tricky, you're goddamn excommunicated from GAF.

Boney

Banned
Yay Ghost Trick

Dunno from what I played, GT seems like a better game than all of the PW series. And I'm sure it'll have it's epic moments like 3 later on.

I could be dead wrong here, but I think it's a defensive attitude that's spoiling your GT playthrough.

Feep said:
999 is a better game, but Ghost Trick's soundtrack is significantly better, IMO. I can't recall a single 999 track off the top of my head.

You might not love Ghost Trick, but if you don't love Phoenix Wright, Tricky, you're goddamn excommunicated from GAF.
Haha I was gonna say....it's fine if you don't like Ghost Trick but not liking Ace Attorney is a sin. Best watch yoself, tricky

Top Bottom