• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

It's barely a Ghost Trick discussion in here. More or less Ami vs. The World. Or 999 hate time...

Nevertheless, I love the animation on this game. Initially, the design threw me off, but I grew to love it.

Boney

Banned
spindashing said:
It's barely a Ghost Trick discussion in here. More or less Ami vs. The World. Or 999 hate time...

Nevertheless, I love the animation on this game. Initially, the design threw me off, but I grew to love it.
I'm just saving myself, like the pretty flower I am.

Amir0x said:
Almost everyone I've talked to in the pro-999 camp has told me so far the writing is pretty iffy (particularly the first third of the game which is distractingly awful, but apparently it improves later...f**k if I know), but that the "scenario" is good. I'm glad you disagree though, but I won't bother getting into it in this topic since this is a Ghost Trick thread. I'm just amused at how terrible everybody makes the game sound.
I see, that's quite surprising to me. Of all the impressions and reviews I've read for it (and I read far more than I usually do for a game) it's almost all been the opposite. I've seen more than one reviewer say it's some of, if not the best writing they've ever come across in a game. (Though that's obviously highly subjective.)

There is a lot of exposition in the first part of the game, but it's totally necessary for the plot and I didn't find it bothersome at all.

But anyway, as you said, this is the Ghost Trick thread so I'll stop there.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
why are you saving yourself? Do you not have access to the game?
I got it, Chapter 7 already. But I'm gonna be stuck for 3 weeks in my cool lake house, so I just thought it'd be best to save it for there.

Boney said:
I got it, Chapter 7 already. But I'm gonna be stuck for 3 weeks in my cool lake house, so I just thought it'd be best to save it for there.

Just so you know, the game is short. You'll blow through the remaining chapters pretty damn fast. Might want to bring something else to the lake house in addition to this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there's 18ish chapters, but you'll find you'll want to play the last few back-to-back because of the pace the game sets.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boney said:
If you are going to be stuck someplace for 3 weeks, just finish this now and get something else, its not very long.

sfried

I will say this: Whoever localized this game deserves a promotion, or maybe a medal.
Aside from one simple logical error i.e. Sissel's statement of Rube Goldberg
the game's dialogue was smooth, very easy to follow, and even at the craziest of times, still sounded natural. That's not an easy feat.

hamchan

Amir0x said:
man i tell you 999 fans are basically the worst ever at convincing people their game of choice will be good. Obscene repetition, iffy writing, no gameplay, etc. I think I've heard more negatives from the pro-999 people than the detractors lol

I think people are only like that towards you. Like they're trying to downplay it for you, or lower your expectations since you seem to hate the majority of stories in video games. I'll just tell you I found the story of 999 quite excellent, the writing is pretty good and there is gameplay but it's a visual novel, so more reading than playing is pretty much expected and the repetition to discover all the routes should also be expected too, these are all standard for the genre. If you end up hating it for non-story reasons then the genre just isn't for you.

Feep

Banned
Amirox seems plenty angry these days.

These games are essentially just stories, but we don't mind, because we like stories. It's a couple steps above a comic-book, because comic-books aren't so DELICIOUSLY animated. And I daresay that both 999 and Ghost Trick have plots far better crafted than 99% of comic books out there, and you're not ragging on *those* sweaty nerds.

Anyway, I just hit Chapter 14 and this shit is ballin'.

Amir0x

Banned
Feep said:
Amirox seems plenty angry these days.

Just gonna post this from the other topic since people seem intent on derailing this threads with accusations about how people feel instead of just addressing the points they make:

"Usually what happens is it gets interpreted as such because people get really over-the-top with the need to defend why they LIKE something that someone else DOESN'T like, and then because the argument becomes so vigorous that each side seems to be at am impasse it is determined one side or the other must be "angry." Usually the side that gets picked to be the 'angry' one is the camp that isn't following the herd; the contrarian."

Nobody is angry. We are trying to have a interesting discussion about the various merits of Ghost Trick, which you do not need to participate in if you don't like it.

If in the future any GAF member tries to act like I'm derailing topics, I'm going to use this one as evidence that it has -nothing- to do with me. People simply invent imaginary scenarios about what they THINK i'm doing which is completely independent from actual events in the topics.

Feep said:
These games are essentially just stories, but we don't mind, because we like stories. It's a couple steps above a comic-book, because comic-books aren't so DELICIOUSLY animated. And I daresay that both 999 and Ghost Trick have plots far better crafted than 99% of comic books out there, and you're not ragging on *those* sweaty nerds.

"We like stories", yes "we" do. What an odd way to talk. Anyway, you must not follow comic threads, because comic book fans know I do indeed rag on those "sweaty nerds."

Although it must be said I'm factually not ragging on anybody here, only criticizing certain aspects of the game in a clear voice which keeps getting DRAGGED THE FUCK DOWN because certain posters feel it's important to address some hypothetical imaginary version of what they think is happening instead of the points being made, all of which are even-handed and clinical in its approach to the criticism.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can get why someone may not like the story, but I liked it and don't mind doing a suspension of belief as long as the story isn't trying to portray itself as being real and don't break its own internal logic. I will agree the game play was lacking in challenge, which would hopefully be addressed in a sequel.

The music works really well in game, but doesn't stand to well alone, but very rarely will people demand a song from a video game stand on its own. The Animation is simply top notch, I hope the game gets a sprite rip soon.

Amir0x

Banned
Drkirby said:
I can get why someone may not like the story, but I liked it and don't mind doing a suspension of belief as long as the story isn't trying to portray itself as being real and don't break its own internal logic. I will agree the game play was lacking in challenge, which would hopefully be addressed in a sequel.

The music works really well in game, but doesn't stand to well alone, but very rarely will people demand a song from a video game stand on its own. The Animation is simply top notch, I hope the game gets a sprite rip soon.

Yeah, Cabanella's theme works really well for his insane walking animation. Like Michael Jackson in detective form or some shit.

I like these tracks:

Welcome to the Salon
Providence
Cabanela

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's that you spend pages defending a position, it's that you're not really bringing to light anything particularly original, and neither is the opposition, in most cases, to be fair. So it's a couple of pages of two parties stating the obvious while the rest of us stare blankly at the screen.

It the most oldest video game discussion in the book. "I think this mediocre thing is acceptable/overlookable" versus "I think this mediocre thing sucks".

Amir0x

Banned
This thread has been absolutely nothing but positivity. I share two posts of criticism with literally nothing inflammatory in them at all and nintey people jump on me about some shit that has no relation to anything that was said. Half these last pages were spent reacting to these kneejerkers.

To say that a short two pages of discussion, of which only maybe a quarter of it is actually the debate because so much is ABJECT BULLSHIT invented by weirdos who cannot see past fucking posters names, is "nothing particularly original" in a thread where this is virtually the only real criticism to this point is farcical.

Also, Rez, it's laughable to try to distill the highly detailed criticism/praise on both sides of the camp of the games various merits to "omg it's mediocre" and "omg no it's not." I understand you think all game reviews should be some unique indie approach to smelling your own farts but this is a discussion forum and we're discussing the game. ignore if you don't like it.

Hieberrr said:
Mannnn.. just wanna say that the music in this game is amazing!

High five! This has become one of my favorite soundtracks in recent memory. It's awesome that both Takumi and Sugimuri shot up my list of favorite designers/composers. These 2 have completely blown all their past work out of the water with this game imo.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
I guess I'd advise you not to listen to these unless you've beaten the game, but it's just music so probably not a huge deal.

No, you're right. Some of the music absolutely MADE the scenes for me at certain points. Reincarnation and the ending theme coupled with the scenes during the credits seriously made me tear up a bit.

Feep

Banned
Amir0x said:
Just gonna post this from the other topic since people seem intent on derailing this threads with accusations about how people feel instead of just addressing the points they make:

"Usually what happens is it gets interpreted as such because people get really over-the-top with the need to defend why they LIKE something that someone else DOESN'T like, and then because the argument becomes so vigorous that each side seems to be at am impasse it is determined one side or the other must be "angry." Usually the side that gets picked to be the 'angry' one is the camp that isn't following the herd; the contrarian."

Nobody is angry. We are trying to have a interesting discussion about the various merits of Ghost Trick, which you do not need to participate in if you don't like it.

If in the future any GAF member tries to act like I'm derailing topics, I'm going to use this one as evidence that it has -nothing- to do with me. People simply invent imaginary scenarios about what they THINK i'm doing which is completely independent from actual events in the topics.

"We like stories", yes "we" do. What an odd way to talk. Anyway, you must not follow comic threads, because comic book fans know I do indeed rag on those "sweaty nerds."

Although it must be said I'm factually not ragging on anybody here, only criticizing certain aspects of the game in a clear voice which keeps getting DRAGGED THE FUCK DOWN because certain posters feel it's important to address some hypothetical imaginary version of what they think is happening instead of the points being made, all of which are even-handed and clinical in its approach to the criticism.
I'm just saying you seem a little angry. Not necessarily at the games themselves. I think that's, uh, remotely accurate.

Also, nah, I don't go into comic threads. Perhaps you rag on us all. = D

Amir0x

Banned
Feep said:
I'm just saying you seem a little angry. I think that's, uh, remotely accurate.

I have not an ounce of anger about anything related to game discussions. What actually gets me annoyed - not angry - is people who come into threads and try to parse interpretations, intents and insults from thin air instead of actually responding to the points being made.

It's constantly killing conversations around GAF. Trying to dismiss someone's point of view as the result of "anger" simply makes you look childish.

cosmicblizzard said:
No, you're right. Some of the music absolutely MADE the scenes for me at certain points. Reincarnation and the ending theme coupled with the scenes during the credits seriously made me tear up a bit.
Yeah sorry, the way I worded that sounds a bit off. Usually I'm a big proponent of music in games and the way it can elevate emotional scenes. Ghost Trick definitely does that right, looking back.

Feep

Banned
Amir0x said:
I have not an ounce of anger about anything related to game discussions. What actually gets me annoyed - not angry - is people who come into threads and try to parse interpretations, intents and insults from thin air instead of actually responding to the points being made.

It's constantly killing conversations around GAF. Trying to dismiss someone's point of view as the result of "anger" simply makes you look childish.
I'm not dismissing your point of view. Good on you for having one apart from the hivemind. I was stating mine, perhaps incorrectly speaking for more than myself with the pronoun "we".

"Annoyed", "angry"...you use stuff like BOLD ITALICS DRAGGED THE FUCK DOWN and it comes off like that. Just my perception. Text is always difficult to read emotionally. (shrug)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
This thread has been absolutely nothing but positivity. I share two posts of criticism with literally nothing inflammatory in them at all and nintey people jump on me about some shit that has no relation to anything that was said. Half these last pages were spent reacting to these kneejerkers.

To say that a short two pages of discussion, of which only maybe a quarter of it is actually the debate because so much is ABJECT BULLSHIT invented by weirdos who cannot see past fucking posters names, is "nothing particularly original" in a thread where this is virtually the only real criticism to this point is farcical.

Also, Rez, it's laughable to try to distill the highly detailed criticism/praise on both sides of the camp of the games various merits to "omg it's mediocre" and "omg no it's not." I understand you think all game reviews should be some unique indie approach to smelling your own farts but this is a discussion forum and we're discussing the game. ignore if you don't like it.
stay classy.

Amir0x

Banned
Feep said:
I'm not dismissing your point of view. Good on you for having one apart from the hivemind. I was stating mine, perhaps incorrectly speaking for more than myself with the pronoun "we".

"Annoyed", "angry"...you use stuff like BOLD ITALICS DRAGGED THE FUCK DOWN and it comes off like that. Just my perception. Text is always difficult to read emotionally. (shrug)

It's just annoyance. Never have I participated in so many discussions where people have so clearly deliberately invented shit up and responded to those imaginary things instead of legitimate points being made. And they're doing it for hatred of criticism; I cannot interpret any other motivation. I've not insulted a single person. I have laid out points, responded to points made in a reasoned fashion and gone over issues that nobody else has brought up in the topic. And yet here we are on this page, still having parts of the thread derailed because of these people and their insane interpretations of posts that do not bare the slightest resemblance to their accusations.

I am sure anyone can see why this is annoying. And it's proof positive as to the real reasons topics get derailed.

You could just drop the subject instead of trying to prove the inherent wrongness of every person dismissing your criticism, since they seem unwilling to budge in opinion and instead generate reams of unhealthy discussion. Otherwise your point-by-point rebuttals and repeated replies give off the perception you are more deeply wounded by the fact that you probably actually are.

Hieberrr

cosmicblizzard said:
High five! This has become one of my favorite soundtracks in recent memory. It's awesome that both Takumi and Sugimuri shot up my list of favorite designers/composers. These 2 have completely blown all their past work out of the water with this game imo.

I totally knew there was some Ace Attorney sounds to it! I KNEW IT! No wonder, because I loved the music in that game! :D

Can somebody help me out about what exactly happened with (end game spoilers)
Yomiel's fiancee? I accidentally forwarded through the text too quickly and the last chapter is hella long. As far as I could tell she left him / died, and eventually Yomiel named the cat after her? Is that all there was to it?

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Can somebody help me out about what exactly happened with (end game spoilers)
Yomiel's fiancee? I accidentally forwarded through the text too quickly and the last chapter is hella long. As far as I could tell she left him / died, and eventually Yomiel named the cat after her? Is that all there was to it?
More or less. They never really say how she died, but since she survived in the alternate timeline, I guess grief is a logical answer. She had no way of knowing Yomiel was not technically dead.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ShockingAlberto said:
More or less. They never really say how she died, but since she survived in the alternate timeline, I guess grief is a logical answer. She had no way of knowing Yomiel was not technically dead.
You mean good ol' Suicide, right?

I’m up to Chapter 4 and so far I’m really under whelmed! : (

It hasn’t sucked me in yet at all. The story so far is kinda boring and I can’t say I care for the characters....

It’s all just a bit too silly for my likings so far. I really hope things get better, but I fear 999 has spoiled me.

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’m up to Chapter 4 and so far I’m really under whelmed! : (

It hasn’t sucked me in yet at all. The story so far is kinda boring and I can’t say I care for the characters....

It’s all just a bit too silly for my likings so far. I really hope things get better, but I fear 999 has spoiled me.

If 999 has taught you anything, it should be not to judge a game so early. Keep playing. Of course if you don't care for the characters at all and aren't feeling the gameplay even a bit, it might not be for you.

cosmicblizzard said:
If 999 has taught you anything, it should be not to judge a game so early. Keep playing. Of course if you don't care for the characters at all and aren't feeling the gameplay even a bit, it might not be for you.

But I liked 999 from the very beginning! Anyway, I’m definitely not giving up on it yet...I still see a lot of good qualities, and I’m strangely compelled to go and play it again right now. Hopefully things will pick up!

I just tried this game this morning and must say I feel a bit satisfied already. It is hard for me to have a feel for a game early but the mechanics are fun. I liked chapter 2 due to how funny Missile is. So far I am very optimistic.

cosmicblizzard said:
Guys, let's drop it and get back to talking about the amazing soundtrack and Missile.

Yes, let's! Played up to the end of chapter 14 last night. Chapter 14 was amazing -
MISSILE!! And I can control him!
. Was surprised to see even more twists and turns in the story too. I basically only stopped playing due to tiredness, I should have it finished later today.

And yeah, this OST is getting better and better.

Boney

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
I didn’t find Missile funny at all! : (
boo-man.gif

But seriously, if you're not finding the characters interesting, this isn't for you. This is lighthearted and whismical, the opposite of 999. I love all the characters here, except for maybe Sissel, which is way to normal to stand out, but he's still alright.

But yeah.. bail out
of my sight

and for me, yeah, I got my whole DS backlog with me, so I'll be alright.

Top Bottom