• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

jgkspsx said:
Seems to be running really slow for me, unless that's intentional. Definitely not computer-constrained ;)

It runs slow for me in Chrome, but all gifs/animated avatars here do for some reason. Runs fine in Firefox for me.

YESSSSSSSS!!! Ok...I’m up to Chapter 15 and this is starting to get really good now! I’m starting to love the characters and the story is finally getting really interesting!

Everything is starting to come together. I still stand by the fact that Chapters 6-9 were boring, but things have gotten so much better! I wonder who the
manipulator
is!

I fininshed the game a few days ago and I love it. It's in my top DS games list instantly. For me the trial and error parts were frustrating at times. Especially when you only have a few seconds and some things seem obvious but you don't get them.
did drive into the restaurant for about 10 times cause I did it in the wrong order with the binoculars

Besides those elements the game was a bit too easy imho. There was too much hand holding I think. It was so obvious to what to do next and then Sissel was like "I should check out XY" :( Other than that the only thing that was a bit "disturbing" was the chapters. The whole game is kinda set up in those small parts. I don't like them that much. Would have loved it if some puzzles were more complex across multiple locations and with various jumps. So the game felt a bit flat compared to PW series where the last cases were always as long as some of the earlier ones together. A further usage of change ability would have benn awesome as well.

And the ending was golden. Damn, best ending in years.

Keikoku said:
Fuck
chapter 9
, this shit is terrible. I could almost quit the game because of it.

Agreed, the story kinda goes nowhere and then this Chapter came along. Terrible!

I nearly quit at that point too...but things have gotten a lot better. Just stick with it!

Haunted

Which one was chapter 9 again?

Also, this .gif is strangely hypnotic.
emot-panicdance.gif
emot-panicdance.gif
emot-panicdance.gif
emot-panicdance.gif
emot-panicdance.gif

mavs

Haunted said:
Which one was chapter 9 again?

Also, this .gif is strangely hypnotic.

Escape mission.
I'm a little surprised at the reaction to it. I didn't even have to retry it once.

Hint:
You don't have to go under the stairs. Just send him straight to the valve in the crawlspace.

Haunted

mavs said:
Escape mission.
I'm a little surprised at the reaction to it. I didn't even have to retry it once.

Hint:
You don't have to go under the stairs. Just send him straight to the valve in the crawlspace.
Oh that. Hm yeah, I didn't like it at first either.

I guess it was good that they experienced with something new and made that level more dependant on timing... but in the end it was basically
a stealth section
, and I really don't like those.

Has anyone else noticed that the music gets a lot better the further into the game you get?

I think that along with the story picking up is a big reason why I’m enjoying this more now.

Datschge

mavs said:
Escape mission.
I had to retry it several times, but I loved the change of pace it brought while keeping the same controls. I guess people just don't like
red dots flying in complete darkness
?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Datschge said:
I had to retry it several times, but I loved the change of pace it brought while keeping the same controls. I guess people just don't like
?
I dunno, I beat it on my second try.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Datschge said:
?

I didn't have much trouble with it, but I thought it was boring. I dont really think much of the gameplay in Ghost Trick is all that good. It's not bad, but the puzzles are not stimulating either due to the trial and error design, or because they're basic and easy.

Im playing Ghost Trick for the story. Chapter 9 didn't really develop anything, and didn't have all that solid gameplay to fall back on.

Datschge

That makes me somewhat curious (not really) what you don't find boring. I like having new stuff introduced in games, be it story elements, gameplay elements or the current controls applied in novel ways. I personally thought GT did a good job solidifying the basic controls early on while constantly doing new stuff with it...

Fusebox

Banned
Datschge said:
?

I liked that mission too, had to retry it once though
because I sent him from the crawl space to the 2nd floor instead of continuing onwards...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had no issues with that at all.

It was purely an aesthetic change, the actual act of playing the game and utilising Ghost and Trick at the right times remained mostly unchanged from a wide-lensed perspective, except this time rather than having to wait and extra minute to see whether you've failed you get an instant restart with checkpoints, which was actually kind of nice.

It doesn't stand out as particularly horrible or great to me, it's just another puzzle in a solid set of puzzles that creatively use the same core-mechanics of the game.

Turnstyle

I'm just on Chapter 16 at the moment. I've been playing it on my commute each day, trying to make it last.

I think it's a fantastic game, certainly up there with the best DS games in my opinion.

My only gripe would be that the difficulty seems a bit inconsistent. There have been times where I've been totally stumped, and later on I'll just fly through a chapter first time.

Oh, and Missile is the character of the year, surely? I almost cheered when he came back later on!

Jintor

I tried to play Ace Attorney Investigations again after this just to see how the animations compared. I can't do it. It's impossible. Ghost Trick has ruined adventure gaming for me. Nothing will ever be as beautiful as those goddamn animations.

Well, maybe Flashback.

Oxx

I just started the game. I gotta say I'm a little bummed that between Capcom's own promos and the GiantBomb video I know exactly what to do in the first few chapters.

Mael

Well finally sold PES08 and that other turd for this and well....
Awesome game so far, the animation is fantastic, the story great and requires some ingeniuty... Really good.

I went in blind so I didn't know what to expect...which makes it all the better

mclem

IF they do a sequel, I wonder if they'll play with the interesting moral possibility:

(The only actual spoilers are from chapter 6, although I talk about some potential that wasn't untapped, so maybe you'd want to steer clear until you've finished the game anyhow.)

Inspired by the 'crushed by a giant chicken' rescue:

Going to someone's 4-minutes before death sequence, and finding that the events are already unstoppably set into motion... two minutes ago.

The solution being to kill someone *else* before two minutes have elapsed, so you can wind back to four minutes before *their* death to save them both.

Given Lynne's attitude to death in this one I was half-expecting it to crop up here as a roundabout form of heroic sacrifice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Datschge said:
That makes me somewhat curious (not really) what you don't find boring. I like having new stuff introduced in games, be it story elements, gameplay elements or the current controls applied in novel ways. I personally thought GT did a good job solidifying the basic controls early on while constantly doing new stuff with it...

I like being stimulated and sadly most of Ghost Trick's puzzles failed, for me. None were particularly bad, they were all just mostly pretty flat, either because there was no intensity and they were so simple, or because of the tedious trial and error design.

There was nothing in Ghost Trick I flat out disliked, mind you, I just thought the puzzles were by far the weakest aspect. Mostly pretty linear and not particularly rewarding.

My review is going up Wednesday.

Finished it!

The middle part of the game was a chore, and overall the story at times was just too silly and borderline stupid at times. Why the hell did none of them not think to carry objects with them so that the spirits could always follow them? "You find your own way! I'm not smart enough to simply take you myself!" And the whole
“I had different powers than yours, and they changed too!”
was pretty lazy and a pretty poor explanation. Lastly, the reveal of
Sissel’s true identity was pretty anticlimactic.
So much build up for that? It seemed like a cop-out to me. It sounds like I hated it, but I didn’t! I think it's just a case of my expectations being too high. The game did eventually win me over! The story slowly came together very nicely towards the end, and the characters and music were both for the most parts great!

Overall it’s a solid game, but I wouldn’t go beyond saying it was ‘good’.

mclem said:
Inspired by the 'crushed by a giant chicken' rescue:

Going to someone's 4-minutes before death sequence, and finding that the events are already unstoppably set into motion... two minutes ago.

The solution being to kill someone *else* before two minutes have elapsed, so you can wind back to four minutes before *their* death to save them both.

Given Lynne's attitude to death in this one I was half-expecting it to crop up here as a roundabout form of heroic sacrifice.
I was expecting something like this as well at some points in the story.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Finished it!

The middle part of the game was a chore, and overall the story at times was just too silly and borderline stupid at times. Why the hell did none of them not think to carry objects with them so that the spirits could always follow them? "You find your own way! I'm not smart enough to simply take you myself!" And the whole
“I had different powers than yours, and they changed too!”
was pretty lazy and a pretty poor explanation. Lastly, the reveal of
Sissel’s true identity was pretty anticlimactic.
So much build up for that? It seemed like a cop-out to me. It sounds like I hated it, but I didn’t! I think it's just a case of my expectations being too high. The game did eventually win me over! The story slowly came together very nicely towards the end, and the characters and music were both for the most parts great!

Overall it’s a solid game, but I wouldn’t go beyond saying it was ‘good’.

I agree a lot with that. However I would say with confidence that it was a good game, but not great.

hayejin

Just finished it.
I played both 999 hours and this one back to back and I think this one deserves more credit than 999 is getting.

hayejin said:
Just finished it.
I played both 999 hours and this one back to back and I think this one deserves more credit than 999 is getting.

I agree, even if it's slightly more credit. 999 has the advantage of having at least 2 members from the localization team post here to help spread the word.

Ghost Trick will probably sell more due to Takumi's name being attached to it, but 999's sales will probably mean more to Aksys than this will mean to Capcom.

hayejin said:
Just finished it.

I definitely disagree with this! I thought 999 did everything much better than Ghost Trick...

The only thing for me that Ghost Trick has over 999 is its soundtrack, and it’s not by much.

Fodder76

Just finished this on the train ride in today. Loved it very much. Not quite up there with the PW series, but I enjoyed it a ton. A true rarity to play something genuinely unique these days.

As for the Ghost Trick vs 999 debate. Both are great fun, I don't see the need to place one over the other. I'm just glad my DS continues to deliver unique and satisfying experiences.

I'm frustrated that this isn't getting more attention, and more of a push from Capcom. Part of me wishes they'd have held onto it until the 3DS came out (and released it FOR the 3DS) to give it more exposure. There would have been far fewer system owners to buy the game, but I bet more people would have picked it up.

Although, I've no idea what the sales have been like, in the US or Japan.

Erigu

Fodder76 said:
As for the Ghost Trick vs 999 debate. Both are great fun, I don't see the need to place one over the other.
Obviously, there are so many English-language adventure games right now that we need to pit them against each other in a fight to the death.

Oxx

I'm four chapters in now.

Seems like it would be a good train game. Do the chapters get longer as the game goes on, or are they pretty consistent?

Busaiku

Some of the chapters in the teens are definitely shorter, but some towards the end get back to the earlier length.
The puzzles get more engaging too.

mclem

A quick question about localisation that crossed my mind, which if I'm correct really suggests that the localisation team went the extra mile with this game. Spoilers for Chapter 14.

In the park, there's the sequence where Missile swaps Mino with a leaf, and then swaps him again with... well, that's the question. In my UK English version, it's a rugby ball, but it crossed my mind that a rugby ball is a rather non-American concept to have in a game. Out of interest, is it an (American) 'Football' in the US version?

If so, I'm impressed that they just took a little time to factor in a cultural difference between the two English-speaking nations they were localising for.

mclem said:
A quick question about localisation that crossed my mind, which if I'm correct really suggests that the localisation team went the extra mile with this game. Spoilers for Chapter 14.

In the park, there's the sequence where Missile swaps Mino with a leaf, and then swaps him again with... well, that's the question. In my UK English version, it's a rugby ball, but it crossed my mind that a rugby ball is a rather non-American concept to have in a game. Out of interest, is it an (American) 'Football' in the US version?

If so, I'm impressed that they just took a little time to factor in a cultural difference between the two English-speaking nations they were localising for.

Rugby ball in the NA version too.

Though it looks pretty much like a football anyway, same color and pattern.

Lyonaz

Holy shit, played a bit on my cousin's DS and I absolutely loved it. The animation and presentation are all awesome. Guess I'm gonna order myself a copy.

Top Bottom