• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
if it were a Suda51 game there would be people praising it for how absurd it is and forgiving its mechanics because of its uniqueness

but it's a janky ass dead island spinoff that no one wanted and no one seems to want. meh.

just do what i do and buy it for a bag of peanuts on steam in 4-5 months.

That's EXACTLY what I planned to do.
The Suda comparison seems spot on.

Yeah Escape Dead Island looks like a decent $5-$10 Steam sale game. I don't think it looks that bad, kind of reminds me of that Deadpool game that came out a couple years ago.

"Drew, check the bottom of this room". Or even "hey, I think there's somewhere you haven't been yet". Honestly, that's all there needs to be.

Also, after this episode, when Dan was guiding Drew through the pipes in strut A, I'm now convinced Dan remembers a ton more about MGS2 than he's letting on ("I honestly don't remember, but maybe crawl under that pipe?"), and is just pretending to forget to humor Drew.

Wasn't Dan playing MGS on his vita as they were doing the episodes? He could still be doing that, not sure about the HD collection compatibility but I thought he said he had them all on there.

Wasn't Dan playing MGS on his vita as they were doing the episodes? He could still be doing that, not sure about the HD collection compatibility but I thought he said he had them all on there.

There needs to be a little more intervention either way. Whether it's from Dan or Jason.

AcridMeat

Banned
The sound WWE2k15 makes in the menus is driving me up a wall for some reason. I've never been annoyed by the sound clicking through menus makes. I have no explanation why this one is.
Bad stealth mechanics, bad writing, bad level design, bad shooting, bad encounter design (shove, hit, shove hit) etc.
It certainly looked bad, but I'm just trying to understand how it got such backlash as one of the worst games ever. It didn't look broken.

The sound WWE2k15 makes in the menus is driving me up a wall for some reason. I've never been annoyed by the sound clicking through menus makes. I have no explanation why this one is.
It certainly looked bad, but I'm just trying to understand how it got such backlash as one of the worst games ever. It didn't look broken.

I suggest reading one of the reviews that gives it a really low score. Game Informer's review explains why he disliked it so much http://www.gameinformer.com/games/e...ormer-review-escape-dead-island-xbox-360.aspx and they also have a Test Chamber up (their version of a QL) that the author is in, you could watch that to get more clarification from him.

my favorite part of the WWE quick looks is seeing the video packages. If they just did an Amped 3 style feature that is just all of the packages in that game in one sitting, i think i would sign up for another year of premium to stack on the one im current using.

It's definitely not one of the worst games ever. Not by a long shot. But it certainly isn't good.

So I caught up on the podcast with my three hour commute today. Was it Jason who said WoW should have been prepared for DDoS? That sounded like someone who doesn't really understand how a DDoS, especially an organized one, works.

xanavi

Oh my godddddd that latest episode of MGS had me jumping around laughing and screaming at my TV. I was pleading with Drew "PLEASE! NO! JUST GET IN THE BOX!" but he just stood there!

Oh my godddddd that latest episode of MGS had me jumping around laughing and screaming at my TV. I was pleading with Drew "PLEASE! NO! JUST GET IN THE BOX!" but he just stood there!

Yeah, same. I have never screamed so much at my TV when watching a Giant Bomb video than when watching Metal Gear Scanlon. This episode in particular was intense. That said, I very much love watching the show.

AcridMeat

Banned
The zooming in on the WWE user created stuff is amazing for the face textures hahaha.
I suggest reading one of the reviews that gives it a really low score. Game Informer's review explains why he disliked it so much http://www.gameinformer.com/games/e...ormer-review-escape-dead-island-xbox-360.aspx and they also have a Test Chamber up (their version of a QL) that the author is in, you could watch that to get more clarification from him.
Thanks for the link. Seems like it's just grating the longer it goes on, while also getting worse.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
WWE 2k15's showcase mode seems like a real good showcase of WWE messing feuds up.

Hah, even just describing the feuds, Super Fan Dan seemed bored by everything. "And here's where CM Punk was super hot and lost to Triple H for no reason"..."Remember that great Big Show match everybody loved?" ... Really seems like you can plot the points on a timeline when WWE realized they only planned two weeks ahead for a feud they're dragging to 3 months.

Meanwhile, everything Jeff has ever wanted out of a wrestling game is the ability to text Kevin Nash, and they couldn't even give him that.

I'm still loving Metal Gear Scanlon and I wouldn't want the "he's playing for the first time" spirit ruined, but I do wonder if it'd be a good thing to have Dan or Jason just run through a basic room a few times to do a quick refresher on controls and show a few general ideas for how situations could be tackled. MGS2 is shaping up to be a loooong series.

I haven't played the HD collection, but man, every time I hear Drew kind of "flick" L2/R2 I can feel the frustration in my fingers, that has to be really annoying.

jgminto

I've softened to a lot of stuff in MGS2 that I didn't like before, but the whole running around the Big Shell defusing bombs section still sucks and is boring. it's probably the worst stretch in any MGS game by a good margin.

The bomb defusing is better than the temperature keys in 1.

I'm still loving Metal Gear Scanlon and I wouldn't want the "he's playing for the first time" spirit ruined, but I do wonder if it'd be a good thing to have Dan or Jason just run through a basic room a few times to do a quick refresher on controls and show a few general ideas for how situations could be tackled. MGS2 is shaping up to be a loooong series.

I haven't played the HD collection, but man, every time I hear Drew kind of "flick" L2/R2 I can feel the frustration in my fingers, that has to be really annoying.

I have two recommendations, the same ones I had for the first MGS run:

• Less time between episodes. I think if this series were recorded like an Endurance Run Drew would be adjusting far, far quicker.
  • Spend some time doing some VR missions. They're there for a reason. It would help Drew's anxiety and let him experiment with enemy behaviour.

Mary and Fake Drew play Goat Simulator MMO, which, uh...

B21YeX3IEAAO_kL.png:large

FStop7

Banned
Yeah, I really didn't "get" the most recent MGS episode. He had boxes, why didn't he use them? He also didn't remember anything about the story. I haven't played MGS2 in at least 4 or 5 years and I remember the stuff about Fatman, etc.

Honestly, he seems to only just be playing it for the sake of keeping the videos going and not because he's actually interested in the game.

Yeah, I really didn't "get" the most recent MGS episode. He had boxes, why didn't he use them? He also didn't remember anything about the story. I haven't played MGS2 in at least 4 or 5 years and I remember the stuff about Fatman, etc.

Honestly, he seems to only just be playing it for the sake of keeping the videos going and not because he's actually interested in the game.

Dan should've just stayed hands off if he didn't remember the story and let him call the Colonel instead. Get him used to using the codec whenever he has a question, to exhaust that option, and then if he still has questions dan can jump in.

half of the dumb humor and interesting stuff comes from those codec calls, and they only get better in MGS3 with the nonsense they talk about in that game. keep poking him in that direction.

popo

Fake Drew currently has a better hair cut. Real Drew (Old Drew?) looks a lot less Drew-like since he came back from 'Nam.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The comments are disabled. What are giant bomb trying to hide. I have rights. Thumbs down.

e: wait, it's probably just a bunch of people who can't fathom the idea of paying for content on the internet, like the commenters on that gamespot article about the gb sale.

Metal Gear is an open ended game and everyone develops their own play style. I rarely used boxes in any of the games whereas others rely on it. Once Drew finds the subset of items and actions he prefers, he will look much more competent. People are exaggerating the current pace he's going at. He got a good amount of the explosives in an hour, which really isn't bad at all. He'll probably finish within 20 hours, and considering that they're doing 2 episodes a week it's not going to be a slog like people are implying. There's also a lot more cutscenes and codecs, so him not critical pathing everything is going to help the flow a lot.

As far as Fatman goes, he hasn't even met the guy yet. Metal Gear vomits names and organizations at the player so much it can be hard to care until they're right in front of you. That's how I was about Sears / Solidus for the most part. He genuinely enjoys the series, but probably doesn't care enough to get seriously invested in the lore.

valeo

Well,duh. Isn't that part of the fun of these? Drew obviously doesn't like it that much.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
As far as Fatman goes, he hasn't even met the guy yet. Metal Gear vomits names and organizations at the player so much it can be hard to care until they're right in front of you. That's how I was about Sears / Solidus for the most part. He genuinely enjoys the series, but probably doesn't care enough to get seriously invested in the lore.

How could he forget Gorge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom