• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow jeff is on top of his game in Mario party 2. This is hysterical.

Being on top of your game in Mario Party doesn't mean a whole lot given how much random shit can happen. Like, say someone landing on a block and just being given a Star for no reason.

Jams775

I sent Dan Ryckert an idea for something to help with Drew forgetting things during MGS. If you're reading this, Dan, please check your PMs!

EDIT: I originally typed "Drew Ryckert." It's like if the two of them did the fusion dance from Dragon Ball Z, but better-dressed and vomiting.

I'm curious. What's the idea? Drew's made a bunch of manuals for starting planes in those sim games, I'm surprised he hasn't tried that in MGS. It'd probably be helpful for all the things you can do in it.

Haunted

Anime wishes it was wrestling.
wrestling is anime for americans

Sometimes it is wrestling.

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_mzb7ogUdoO1qfsuxgo2_500.gif

justjim89

Can't even fault Drew for being so bad at MGS2, both control-wise and design-wise it's aged nearly as poorly as MGS1. The controls for doing extremely simple things are just awful, especially compared with modern stealth-action games. Having an overhead camera to navigate complex locations while getting spotted by enemies completely outside of your range of vision is just way too disempowering to the player. Subsistence converting to a proper 3rd person camera was a revelation years overdue for the franchise.

I love MGS as a series but let's not act like it plays well. Especially for new players. Especially in the year 2014.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, but there are really simple things that he's missing, like using the box to hide from enemies, and even straight up admitting that he didn't want to tranq guards because he thought that it might make things too easy. Like, c'mon now.

pirata

I'm curious. What's the idea? Drew's made a bunch of manuals for starting planes in those sim games, I'm surprised he hasn't tried that in MGS. It'd probably be helpful for all the things you can do in it.

I kinda wanted it to be secret and people not know about until it popped up in a video (not that I have very much hope), but whatever. Here's the idea:

--------------
It's become apparent from the last few Metal Gear Scanlons that Drew's inability to remember mechanics and story are a huge issue that is hampering the experience of everyone involved. I had kind of a screwy idea earlier today for something that might help him, and if not, it could still be entertaining. Why not get a small white board and dry erase markers for Drew to write/draw with? He (or both of you) could make notes about game mechanics, controls, the plot, mission objectives, or just draw pictures of boobs.

At the beginning of each episode, y'all will hold the white board up to the camera or show a picture of its current state in the video, and Drew will have to try to remember why he wrote all the stuff down in the previous episode(s). By the end of MGS2, it'll hopefully look like the scribblings of a whacked-out conspiracy theorist.

Anyway, just putting the idea out there. I'm really enjoying the series so far, even if I do end up yelling at the computer screen a lot.

------
I was also wondering if Drew could put his manual-writing skills to the test. I'm pretty sure Metal Gear is less complicated than playing a goddamned helicopter!

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh my goodness the Ninja boss fight. This series really is Breaking Drew.

edit: HOOOLLLYYY SHIIIIT
dying when the life bar was completely gone already, what the fuck this game! hahahaha

so1337

I love MGS as a series but let's not act like it plays well. Especially for new players. Especially in the year 2014.
There's no need to act. It plays well.

I won't deny that there's a lot to keep track of, though. If your usual interaction with a videogame is pulling the left trigger and then pulling the right trigger, this ain't that.

Balb

Keep in mind that Drew isn't playing the game like you guys originally did. He can't really experiment with controls and all that because he feels the pressure of constantly having to move forward.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Watching the escape dead island ql, dan complains about the game not remembering/saving collectables you found before you died, and I immediately thought of the same problem in Bionic Commando (that I think Jeff complained about in the ql of that game or on a podcast around that time). Then a few moments later they talk about the developer of this game -- fatshark, formerly grin -- and the game grin developed, Bionic Commando. They had 5 years to fix the damn collectable problem!

that Dr. Strangelove reference in the WWE 2k15 QL mere months after the "we do color now" in reference to b&w movies

Dan is a fucking genius troll confirmed

Do they even have a copy ?

if not, hopefully they just buy one themselves this time

waiting for a fan to send a game for a premium series has always seemed kind of shitty to me. I get the whole "oh it's so bad we don't want to play it, but if you send it in we won't have a choice!" act but let's be real, it's a popular series that probably gets a ton of views, and people are already paying to watch it in the first place. it's not like they're doing us a favor by making it.

Volcynika

waiting for a fan to send a game for a premium series has always seemed kind of shitty to me. I get the whole "oh it's so bad we don't want to play it, but if you send it in we won't have a choice!" act but let's be real, it's a popular series that probably gets a ton of views, and people are already paying to watch it in the first place. it's not like they're doing us a favor by making it.

I don't think Dan was even relying on someone to send it in, some people just want to speed up getting content like that.

Myggen

This is one of the silliest uses of "kind of shitty" I've seen.

Bacon

Mario party 3 probably costs a nickel at this point. People are always sending in random stuff that they hope gets played(fmv games for vinny, etc). at least we know Mario party is a continuing series (hopefully).

Renpatsu

Mario party 3 probably costs a nickel at this point. People are always sending in random stuff that they hope gets played(fmv games for vinny, etc). at least we know Mario party is a continuing series (hopefully).
Eh...

You put Mario in the title plus the fact that it came out on Nintendo 64 and I guarantee that the game price will have sky-rocketed by now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Still on Mario Party?
Dokapon_Kingdom_cover.jpg

Get back to me when you're ready for a real man's party game. When you truly want to hate the people you're in the room with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom