• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Of all the fights to pick, Driveclub will always be the weirdest one.

He gave it the lowest score of any outlet and specifically slated the handling. It's not surprising that the many people who love the game and how it plays take issue with that.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
For some reason I'm trapped on Youtube, listening to old bombcast bits. I miss Jerry Program, he was a nice dude. Changed a lot of lives too.

How Jeff manged to read that without laughing is beyond me

Brashnir

He gave it the lowest score of any outlet and specifically slated the handling. It's not surprising that the many people who love the game and how it plays take issue with that.

Anyone who takes serious issue with it needs to get over themselves. It's perfectly reasonable for a person to not like the things we like, and to criticize things we don't have issue with. Jeff (and a lot of other people) likes the way the Burnout games play. I think the driving mechanics on those games are fucking stupid, and that's OK. Why do so many people have this pathological need for everybody else to like the things they do?

Myggen

True enough, but there's been a lot of "Jeff's an Xbox fanboy so of course he doesn't like DriveClub!" going around here these last few months. It certainly has the feeling of one of those "remember the review reviewer X wrote a year ago? Fuck that guy for no reason!".

Megasoum

Banned
For some reason I'm trapped on Youtube, listening to old bombcast bits. I miss Jerry Program, he was a nice dude. Changed a lot of lives too.

How Jeff manged to read that without laughing is beyond me

Goddamit... Now because of you I fell in a hole of bombcast youtube videos.

One of my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS6CXgloFUg

Also I totally realized at the exact same time Jeff did. But, to my defense, english is my second language so I didn't know there was multiple meanings for the word "down".

I enjoy Driveclub, but it only took me the first turn of my first race for me to go "Ohhhh, I see what Jeff was saying about the handling." You get used to it after long enough, but if you're hot off of Forza I could see it leaving a sour taste in your mouth. It feels much less demanding than other racers of that ilk.

Also you still have to reconcile the fact that Project Gotham Racing 2 came out in 2003 and still has a deeper feature set than Driveclub.

I enjoy Driveclub, but it only took me the first turn of my first race for me to go "Ohhhh, I see what Jeff was saying about the handling." You get used to it after long enough, but if you're hot off of Forza I could see it leaving a sour taste in your mouth. It feels much less demanding than other racers of that ilk.

Also you still have to reconcile the fact that Project Gotham Racing 2 came out in 2003 and still has a deeper feature set than Driveclub.

I couldn't handle that it wanted to feel less like a sim racer but then they penalized you for cutting corners. It didn't know if it wanted to be GT or Need for Speed, and the few features it had to make it stand on its own weren't working or included at launch.

2 stars makes sense given most of that, but i wonder if there would be any outrage or bitter sentiment if it had been a 3 star review instead

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
English is my first language and I never put that together either until I heard that.

I never even tried to rationalize it like Jeff did... I just literally never thought of it as anything other than a silly name. I mean when you play enough games with spells like mediarama or mabufudyne you kind of stop caring.

hamchan

He is on but GBeast votes only count for a half - since they are a junior office. Patrick's count for a quarter.

Oh no, the GOTY casts are gonna be so different this year now that Brad and Jeff can basically force any game they want in or out of the top 10.

Curufinwe

True enough, but there's been a lot of "Jeff's an Xbox fanboy so of course he doesn't like DriveClub!" going around here these last few months. It certainly has the feeling of one of those "remember the review reviewer X wrote a year ago? Fuck that guy for no reason!".

Can you quote an actual post calling him an Xbox fanboy?

Sorry, I know this has probably been asked before, but are we expecting another full house for today's Bombcast?

I would love to hear them all on the Playstation stuff.

popo

Oh no, the GOTY casts are gonna be so different this year now that Brad and Jeff can basically force any game they want in or out of the top 10.

Since sarcasm isn't always obvious, I should point out to any casual fans that it was a joke
Patrick's votes don't count at all.

Since sarcasm isn't always obvious, I should point out to any casual fans that it was a joke
Patrick's votes don't count at all.

They might as well not count. As soon as the rest of the team hear Patrick's choices, they'll instinctively downvote them until none of them are in the top 10.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Patrick actually went into GotY talks with a plan in the past, he will get what he wants by playing his cards right. I think he backstabbed 3D World last year to get Papers, Please on the list.

Patrick actually went into GotY talks with a plan in the past, he will get what he wants by playing his cards right. I think he backstabbed 3D World last year to get Papers, Please on the list.

What game has to die this year for "important" experience du jour to make the GB top ten list? Tune in to find out!

FStop7

Banned
lol. oh Brad...

The raid in TDB is fucking insane, at least the first 20 or 30 min of it that I watched last night. It's just swarm after swarm of Hive rushing you. Honestly, that's what all the regular campaign missions that send you into the Hive strongholds should have been like.

It's a shame that the whole exotic upgrade thing really fucked over the most dedicated players. That kind of cancels out the positive stuff.

It's also becoming clearer and clearer that TDB and House of Wolves are cut content that were meant to be in the game at launch.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What game has to die this year for "important" experience du jour to make the GB top ten list? Tune in to find out!
polls_potw_mormons1_1032_369329_poll_xlarge.jpeg

Have you heard of Monument Valley?

I own Persona 4 Golden and Deadly Premonition but i really need to do an 100% guide run through of both games to catch all of the stuff i missed/wasn't included in their ER runs. Seeing Brad and Ryan get the radio while Jeff and Vinny never did was great, and that VJ never saw the falling dogs + the whole Spy Fiction fiasco with Brad was such a great reason to check both ERs

Now, we patiently wait for Drewkert to hopefully give us one more MGScanlon before the year is out : /

Curufinwe

It's not too difficult to max out every S.Link in your first playthru of P4G. You don't need to follow a day by day guide. You just need to carry matching Personas most of the time, and finish each dungeon in one day (which is easy if you lower the difficulty.)

TraBuch

Banned
I own Persona 4 Golden and Deadly Premonition but i really need to do an 100% guide run through of both games to catch all of the stuff i missed/wasn't included in their ER runs. Seeing Brad and Ryan get the radio while Jeff and Vinny never did was great, and that VJ never saw the falling dogs + the whole Spy Fiction fiasco with Brad was such a great reason to check both ERs

Now, we patiently wait for Drewkert to hopefully give us one more MGScanlon before the year is out : /
If you end up not wanting to play it, I HIGHLY recommend supergreatfriend's playthrough of Deadly Premonition if you wanna see everything.

Swipe is shit

Swype started lagging my phone so I went back to the stock google keyboard and it has better swipe recognition than swype. Also it's easy to switch back and forth between the english and JP keyboards with google so I'm never looking back

Anybody as 20min to spare? I need this sick Sphere code translated STAT

Wasn't the point that it was hard to translate because there weren't line breaks? so 22 could be 2, 2 or 22? I'm not dealing with this nonsense.

Myggen

Can you quote an actual post calling him an Xbox fanboy?

From today. And from the same thread. Last post doesn't call him that word, but it's heavily implied. This too. And mind you, this is just from today. He gets brought up in almost every thread about Driveclub, and I've seen more people claiming fanboyism.

having a big internal crisis over whether or not this sphere movie is worth watching

It's not very good. It's not even close to the quality of the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom