• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

Definitely do, it's a good version.

Unless you're a speedrunner or N64 original elitist, the only drawbacks to the 3DS is:

- No rumble Stone of Agony (replacement)
- Updated visuals dampen the 'dark atmosphere' that many players like
- 3DS controls vs Gamecube controls (port) vs N64 control (3DS uncomfortable)
- Resolution
- Some of the oddities in the earlier version of OoT N64 version 1.0 (Fire temple music) and red Ganon blood
- small screen (although 3DS cables to TV that are expensive let you play on a TV)

3DS is the way to go.

Megasoum

Banned
Unless you're a speedrunner or N64 original elitist, the only drawbacks to the 3DS is:

- No rumble Stone of Agony
- Updated visuals dampen the 'dark atmosphere' that many players like
- 3DS controls vs Gamecube controls (port) vs N64 control (3DS uncomfortable)
- Resolution
- Some of the oddities in the earlier version of OoT N64 version 1.0 (Fire temple music)
- small screen (although 3DS cables to TV that are expensive let you play on a TV)

3DS is the way to go.

I keep telling myself I need to play it... I bought it and played some of it but then stopped... I can't even remember where I left it. I should recharge my 3DS to check it.

cdViking

Seeing the end stuff a second time, I can better appreciate how it fits in with the way the story developed as the game went on.

The motivations of the AI however, are trite, bullshit, half-baked philosophy backed by faulty, Sophist logic, and not nearly as clever a meta commentary on story/plot/device as some people seem to think.

Just finished Metal Gear Scanlon.

From the beginning of the series I figured MGS3 would be Drew's favorite, but that seems like a pretty sure bet now. You get your MGS craziness, but the story is also coherent.

AngryMoth

Having only played MGS4 and MGS3. The ending to MGS2 did kinda makes sense.
I have beaten the games in a totally screwed up order; 4, 1, 3 and then 2 recently thanks to drew and dan. The whole of 2 made significantly less sense to me with stuff from 4 in mind. I'm guessing that's one of the reasons some didn't like that game.

The colonel info dump in the last part of MGS2 is Kojima's great masterpiece.

Nothing reaches that level in the series. Nothing!

That entire section between fighting the Ray's and the final boss fight is something else.

Maybe they can take an MGS break and have Drew play Ocarina of Time. Because what the fuck

Let me preface this by saying I have played almost all Zelda games & generally play a significant amount of them.

That said, I've only ever finished A Link Between Worlds. Never completed any other Zelda game.

Myggen

I'm sure someone has said this already, so if so I'm gonna repeat it. The five guest top 10 articles going up on Friday are from: Rich Gallup and Ben Coello (one list), Olly Moss, Baz McMahon, Brad Muir, and Cara Ellison (long live the Live Bomb chrome extension). Alex said that there'll be 30 lists in total.

But he just played Ocarina of Time

I feel like trying to keep up with the various GB related in jokes is harder than keeping up with the plot of MGS2. Then you add in the GAF thread specific jokes, whoa boy.

I'm sure someone has said this already, so if so I'm gonna repeat it. The five guest top 10 articles going up on Friday are from: Rich Gallup and Ben Coello (one list), Olly Moss, Baz McMahon, Brad Muir, and Cara Ellison (long live the Live Bomb chrome extension). Alex said that there'll be 30 lists in total.

I was gonna ask why your avatar wasn't Jeff anymore, then I looked a little closer. Well played.

That is an amazing group of people. Bazza! Cara! :D!

Myggen

That is an amazing group of people. Bazza! Cara! :D!

It's a great start. Alex also said that they have lists from two professional wrestlers. Hope one of them is from Xavier Woods, his list last year was probably my favourite.

BEST GAME EVER: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

This is an objective statement. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is the greatest game of all time. I am using this article as my forum to let everyone know that I am the greatest player on the planet. I am willing to play anyone who doesn't believe me, but trust me... you will not be pleased with what happens to you.

We've moved on from the early days of talking about dads (genes) to in-jokes (memes).

With The Raid coming next year, it'll all be about the different locales Jeff scours for rare Saturn games (scenes).

Giant Bomb has been Metal Gear this whole time.

Giant Bomb has been anime this whole time.

IaN_GAF

Well, fuck. Now I kinda want to play Metal Gear Solid.

EDIT: Aaahw, and the first game is actually discounted on the vita right now, goddamnit.

Is that fucking Illidan

late to this, but yes, it is

In VGCW, Illidan joined after winning a tournament against other fan-made CAWs to join the ranks of VGCW. Because Illidan is a boring character with shit music and predictably OP moves, and because he beat other characters including Master Onion and Johnny Cage to the prize, everyone fucking hates him.

He is managed by Gary Oak.

Corgi

Banned
well now that there is MGS4 and Rising this theory is probably debunked, but I do wonder if anyone thought the whole game was an actual simulation and not just 'live exercise'. Or at least some part until the end.

Like all the transitions between rooms in Arsenal just feels 'off'.

And the ending where the people are just walking in slowmo around, and rose randomly showing up there for no reason... everything just feels weird.

hmmmm.

btw: what was that comment from Johnson about that Raiden was a guy which means he wasn't part of the patriots? Was there another gal for the patriots that looks like raiden?

Jintor

They keep calling Olga's kid "He". Is this because they don't know that Olga had a girl?

ALSO, Does anyone else find it really fucking weird that people are just going on about their lives, with all the shit's that happen? No evacuation or anything.

It's another aspect of the S3 project!!11!!11!1
maybe

Jintor

The best part was how they followed that game up with a grittier brown and gray title that was more down to earth and conventional (since the previous game was so divisive) involving the protagonist getting ambushed at the start and then recovering, meeting a deceptive female lead who is at first manipulating the protagonist for her own gains, then slowly comes to genuinely care for him, especially after a sequence where he carries her to safety after she's badly injured. There's also a sequence before the final boss fight where the protagonist and a woman ride together where one steers and the other shoots at the main villain, leading up to a 1v1 confrontation in a field.

Then they went in a weird direction. There was a divisive portable game that seemed like garbage from the B-team, a continuity heavy mainstream followup on the next gen hardware that was full of wayyyy too many gimmicks and cutscenes, then they did a way more better received handheld game that got a lot more promotion, then an action game spinoff farmed out to a different company, and finally they're coming back around with a 2015 next gen game where the protagonist has a pony tail and explores an open world on their horse (it's heavily inspired by the direction that the better handheld game went in).

I don't know why. It's a really good series. There was the 1987 top down original for 8 bit systems, then the weird NES sequel with sidescrolling (!?) segments for some reason. Luckily the true sequel came in the early 90s by following more in the footsteps of the original.

Funny thing, the 1998 3D debut of the game is basically the third game in 3D, just with more cutscenes. I guess it's a winning formula since it's considered the greatest game of all time by many (though that's probably why the followup deliberately tried to subvert expectations).

It's also really unique in how the protagonist has the same name but it's actually a different guy from different time periods most of the time, and how much gadgets and weaponry he can carry, and how awesome the dramatic boss fights are. I just wish the helper characters would stop buzzing the player's ear and prompt you to talk to them so often.

You're actually EmCee's evil clone, aren't you? Admit it!

btw: what was that comment from Johnson about that Raiden was a guy which means he wasn't part of the patriots? Was there another gal for the patriots that looks like raiden?

He was expecting Olga.

Why exactly he was expecting Olga, I don't know, but he was expecting Olga.

Kudos to the (majority) of callers on this livestream. Asking fairly good questions and then politely ending the call themselves when the duders are done answering them.

Renpatsu

well now that there is MGS4 and Rising this theory is probably debunked, but I do wonder if anyone thought the whole game was an actual simulation and not just 'live exercise'. Or at least some part until the end.

Like all the transitions between rooms in Arsenal just feels 'off'.

And the ending where the people are just walking in slowmo around, and rose randomly showing up there for no reason... everything just feels weird.
Taken as a standalone sequel that theory definitely holds some credence as the direction the game takes following Arsenal gear is far too deliberate to be mere coincidence. Especially that last scene on the street with the Matrix zeitgeist still remaining cemented in the cultural mindset by the time MGS2 had come out.

Edit: And a Merry Christmas to AusGAF - Although we're already partway through.

Zaph

Can't wait to catch up on MGScanlon during the Christmas break and read the last few pages - it seems like the closest you'll get to re-living the release madness of a game.

And Merry Christmas UK GB gaf. Remember - if you don't feel physically sick, you haven't eaten enough chipolatas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom