• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jams775

I have a question about the last fight in mgs2

When Solidus gets sliced in the back and falls towards the ledge, just before falling he looks like he's saying something but there's no speech. Does anyone know if he's supposed to say something but it just got cut? Or what?

sixghost

I wonder if there's some worrying among publishers that the discounts during steam sales had gotten out of control. The sales in general have been really shitty in comparison to previous years. Torchlight 2 for $10 is one of the daily deals. which was on sale for $5 a year and a half ago during the 2013 summer sale.

*edit

alright the prices just hadn't updated, false alarm. Just in general though, the discounts on AAA seem to be much lower than 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe I'm just misremembering.

I have a question about the last fight in mgs2

When Solidus gets sliced in the back and falls towards the ledge, just before falling he looks like he's saying something but there's no speech. Does anyone know if he's supposed to say something but it just got cut? Or what?

"Father.." Referring to the George Washington statue

Originally that scene had Raiden cutting a string to an American flag and it landing over top of his body. (The downward swipe he does at the end was the animation) but because of 9/11 a lot of that was cut and altered.

Jams775

"Father.." Referring to the George Washington statue

Originally that scene had Raiden cutting a string to an American flag and it landing over top of his body. (The downward swipe he does at the end was the animation) but because of 9/11 a lot of that was cut and altered.

Wow cool, thanks. Too bad they had to cut all that stuff out due to 9/11. But I'm glad that the information on how it was supposed to be is out there.

BigBoss

Wow cool, thanks. Too bad they had to cut all that stuff out due to 9/11. But I'm glad that the information on how it was supposed to be is out there.

Arsenal_Gear_crash.jpg

so what defines a metal gear? needs to be bipedal and can launch nukes right?

So does arsenal gear... have legs?

RAY can't launch nukes. (It was developed to combat other Metal Gears)

So...Walking Tank...which is called Metal Gear..is a Metal Gear..

That's pretty much the criteria.

so what defines a metal gear? needs to be bipedal and can launch nukes right?

So does arsenal gear... have legs?

A Metal Gear has to be bipedal.

The usage of 'metal gear' to describe 'Arsenal Gear' was because the Colonel was the one telling Raiden that-After all, he thought that RAY was the activated Metal Gear.

But Arsenal Gear is Arsenal Gear.

heres the official definition from the wiki

Following an encounter with a Gekko in 2014, Otacon explained to Old Snake that what makes a "Metal Gear" is specifically its nuclear launch capability.[1] Taking in Granin's original coinage of the term, it can be therefore assumed that a Metal Gear can be defined as a bipedal nuclear weapon. Not only does this negate the Gekkos and the Mk. II/Mk. III from being true Metal Gears, but it also discounts Metal Gear RAY. Otacon notes that RAY was an exception to the definition, as it was overall created under the premise of nuclear strategy (it targeting nuclear warhead-equipped Metal Gears).

that also leaves out the kickass one in rising

The Shagohad isn't a Metal Gear. It's a Shagohad.

yeah but its like a pre term version they can just go and apply the name back to it

Corgi

Banned
They don't need nuclear launch capabilities but need to be nuclear powered then?

Or are the Rays not?

Did they ever go into detail about what makes Metal Gear Ray 'anti metal gear'? Was thinking it was more of just a cool mech vs mech factor, but Kojima seems to love to give some reasoning behind everything.

But then... what was the logical reason behind metal gear for MGS1? What made a bipedal nuke launching platform better than nuke equipped sub?

ultron87

Ha. Same. Except did a trial run tonight with my wife and mom. Tomorrow taking to my brothers for the full 8 person extravaganza.

Drawful and fibbage are both top tier. YDKJ we're saving for having friends over other times. Word Spud and the lie game would be ok for being well into an evening.

Those two games are definitely the best when you need more than 4 people. We had a little bit of trouble with getting everyone's devices connected, but it was fine in the end. Basically anyone, game player or not, can laugh at everyone's hilarious bad drawings so it really works out.

YDKJ is real good for four people, but the final round depending on split second timing when everyone is on an independent device makes the whole thing seem a little specious in terms of timing. I kind of wish they had made an alternate to the Jack Attack for the smart phone playing mode.

They don't need nuclear launch capabilities but need to be nuclear powered then?

Or are the Rays not?

Did they ever go into detail about what makes Metal Gear Ray 'anti metal gear'? Was thinking it was more of just a cool mech vs mech factor, but Kojima seems to love to give some reasoning behind everything.

But then... what was the logical reason behind metal gear for MGS1? What made a bipedal nuke launching platform better than nuke equipped sub?

What utility is there at all in mobile nuclear platforms when you have ICBMs?

Zabant

Going through MGScanlon1 again, wow this Grey Fox fight

When drew finally beats him and gets killed by the lighting that comes out of him right at the end.....

Do you remember Snake? the FEEL of battle?

Blablurn

Just watched the 13th Scanlon. One thing that Dan said was interesting. It was only between 98 and 00 when they came up with a story so damn advanced. When you look at the whole "control the information" thing, you could say thats like the perfect story line for a game in 2014. MGS2 was sooo far ahead of its time. Its nothing new. But still incredible.

tchocky

Just watched the 13th Scanlon. One thing that Dan said was interesting. It was only between 98 and 00 when they came up with a story so damn advanced. When you look at the whole "control the information" thing, you could say thats like the perfect story line for a game in 2014. MGS2 was sooo far ahead of its time. Its nothing new. But still incredible.

According to the documentary that came with the euro version of mgs2 the 800 page script was written in November 98.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Worth the full price IMO. 6 cases - all incredibly varied with unique environments and sometimes entire gameplay mechanics that only get used once. Gorgeous game too.

Hmm, I guess 6 cases is a pretty decent number if they're as involved as the one in the quick look.

They were drills.

dammit kojima
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=relPtvgZDEg

(also re: the feasibilty and point of a walking nuke platform there's an optional radio conversation in MGS3 where
Naked Snake talks to the tech guy on his team about a Russian scientist's idea for Metal Gear, and said tech guy says that there was an American paper on the subject (clearly by Otacon's father) and that nobody in the military technology field understood what the point was either, given the massive drawbacks and adequacy of current mobile ICBMs. So yeah, Kojima knows that the idea is silly.
)

I've figured out the boy's punishment. First, he's grounded. No leaving the house, not even for school. Second, no egg nog. In fact, no nog, period. And third, absolutely no stealing for 3 months.

^^^^ long live Ryckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom