• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Tagging.

User viewable and community editable tagging. All content. They have the entire wiki sitting there. Its so obvious it hurts.

But I don't think CBSi want to give any engineering resources to GB when it's chugging away nicely compared to their other gaming properties.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I put down "More premium videos with Jeff". Seems like he's the only one that hasn't had his own premium series.
That's actually a good request. I wanted a Jeff series for a while.

edit: Weirdly, they don't have a "use the wiki for information" item on their list, I actually do that a lot.

Anyone have a link/source for this Ryan picture on the set? Really dig it. Did a search just now but not finding it among the tons and tons of art people have done.

ZOLrfgb.png

Balb

I feel like this is the Smash with the most gonzo character choices, though. Melee and Brawl's were fairly typical - between the two, I'd say Ice Climbers, R.O.B. and Game and Watch are the only really weirdo fighters) but this one has the Villager, the Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Duo, Bowser Junior and all 8 Koopalings... it's fairly out there.

Not that I wouldn't mind more, obviously. Especially seeing as I have no idea what they pull from next. (I'm still waiting for Professor Layton.)

I don't think Bowser Jr. and Villager are off the wall choices.

I don't think Bowser Jr. and Villager are off the wall choices.

Bowser Jr. is disputable - though his moveset is undeniably creative, as is the idea to make the Koopalings his alt colours - but Villager, for as massive as Animal Crossing is, is a pretty fucking weird character to end up in a fighting game.

That's Phoenix Wright levels of "shit, how does this guy fight exactly?".

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just realized while watching the Smash Bros quick look that Nintendo released a hardware adapter for fucking Gamecube controllers and never bothered to allow more than one gamepad to play on Wii U.

It's baffling. The *only* think they had going for them was local multiplayer, then they make a system that inherently makes local multiplayer a lesser experience for all but one player, and then on top of that none of their games support the thing in any interesting ways.

What the fuck, Nintendo? Seriously.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'd suspect there's some limitation in sending images/ineractivity to multiple screens.

I'm sure it's a technical limitation, but it's their own fault. They designed the thing around the idea that only one player would want the second screen and that would somehow be sufficient. The Wii U is such a trainwreck. They've made some great games for it because that's what Nintendo does, but they need somebody to slap them in the damned mouth every time they come up with an idea as stupid as "Let's design the console for multiplayer games around flawed unsatisfying multiplayer" and didn't have any sort of online infrastructure in place to make up for their terrible local play.

daydream

Banned
I'm sure it's a technical limitation, but it's their own fault. They designed the thing around the idea that only one player would want the second screen and that would somehow be sufficient. The Wii U is such a trainwreck. They've made some great games for it because that's what Nintendo does, but they need somebody to slap them in the damned mouth every time they come up with an idea as stupid as "Let's design the console for multiplayer games around flawed unsatisfying multiplayer" and didn't have any sort of online infrastructure in place to make up for their terrible local play.

What are you even talking about? WiiU is perfect for local multiplayer, the games that support the Gamepad are designed around the asymmetry. The ones that aren't don't offer an unfair advantage to the Gamepad user.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What are you even talking about? WiiU is perfect for local multiplayer, the games that support the Gamepad are designed around the asymmetry. The ones that aren't don't offer an unfair advantage to the Gamepad user.

Just reminded about how stupid the whole gamepad idea was from watching the Quick Look, that's all. It never should have gotten beyond the planning stages. They should have realized that at the price they wanted to offer they couldn't actually make the screen offer a compelling experience, that they couldn't use two would be a significant issue, and that they never would make use of the damn thing in the first place.

Imagine a kid who owns a Wii U with a friend who does also--I know, I'm getting into insane fantasy logic that doesn't apply to the real world already--and wants to play a multiplayer game. He can't just bring his Wii U controller. One of the two needs to own another controller, either the pro controller or whatever it's called this time around which is as expensive as another primary controller or a game for any other system, or they have to use the worst controller ever known to mankind in the Wii controller. That's bad design. Nintendo should have known better.

Or if you have two kids, well I'm sure that goes over well. Children never bicker and get jealous over who gets to use the better controller, so having only one screen would never be a problem there.

I guess in the end what I'm talking about is that Nintendo deserves every bit of failure they get with the Wii U. It's all self-inflicted wounds.

Just reminded about how stupid the whole gamepad idea was from watching the Quick Look, that's all. It never should have gotten beyond the planning stages. They should have realized that at the price they wanted to offer they couldn't actually make the screen offer a compelling experience, that they couldn't use two would be a significant issue, and that they never would make use of the damn thing in the first place.

Imagine a kid who owns a Wii U with a friend who does also--I know, I'm getting into insane fantasy logic that doesn't apply to the real world already--and wants to play a multiplayer game. He can't just bring his Wii U controller. One of the two needs to own another controller, either the pro controller or whatever it's called this time around which is as expensive as another primary controller or a game for any other system, or they have to use the worst controller ever known to mankind in the Wii controller. That's bad design. Nintendo should have known better.

Or if you have two kids, well I'm sure that goes over well. Children never bicker and get jealous over who gets to use the better controller, so having only one screen would never be a problem there.

I guess in the end what I'm talking about is that Nintendo deserves every bit of failure they get with the Wii U. It's all self-inflicted wounds.

You sound like a maniac.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You sound like a maniac.

Only when I'm confronted with overwhelming stupidity like the Nintendo Wii U. It's impossible to understand where they were coming from with this thing.

Not being able to use 2 isn't a significant issue.

The Wii U is a pile of insignificant issues that add up to make a worse experience than the competition offers. And the only reason that it's not a more significant issue is because nobody makes use of the gamepad in any way that is at all interesting, so nobody actually cares.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Not being able to use 2 isn't a significant issue.

The Wii Remote was one of the most innovative pieces of gaming tech ever released.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
If you've seen Dan's heel turn, you're safe to go watch/do something else.

Pretty much, that has to be one of the best Giant bomb's moments of 2014. It's the way Dan gleefully enjoyed his deception that made it so fucking good, you can tell in his face that he was so happy, Dan is so great. I hope we get more of that in the future.

Chuck

Still without luck
Man, I don't care much for Smash Brothers, but GB's reluctancy to even make a fucking video for it seems weirdly childish.

justjim89

I really don't comprehend how Brad can presumably know how to play fighting games, with all the nonsensical obtuse button combinations, but not know how to play Smash Bros. It's so much more intuitive, is he like over thinking it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom