• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraBuch

Banned
Emily gives a terrible first impression. "Mattttttt, I need my puuuuurse, you fucking forgot it! I NEED IT!" and "Matttttt, go carry my bags to the cabin. Why? Because fuck you and go do it that's why."

Nah, people will bring in packed in games which in turn gets gamestop money. Hardware already has razor thin margins and takes up alot of space.

I will say, fuck digital bundles. It does have a little benefit for those of us with hardware already, cheap codes that were pulled from bundles.
Can't wait to pick up the digital copy of the uncharted collection for 20 or less in a few months myself.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
She's great in terms of being a representation of an unlikable person.

Myggen

Giant Spoiler Snakecast 9/18/2015
PODCAST ON SEP 18, 2015 04:00 PM

Aw yeah. XANDER seemed to assume there'd be a thread for the Spoilercast when he posted in the latest Bombcast thread, so I guess we'll take that as a go-ahead from the mods.

It seems Destiny has a hold on Brad again. You know, even though I'm not a Dota guy and Destiny just doesn't look like my cup of tea, I appreciate that Brad likes to really dig into a game he loves. I don't see the other guys really doing that except apparently Jason with SF4.

On a sad note, it doesn't improve the chances of him finishing Witcher 3 by GOTY time.

Aw yeah. XANDER seemed to assume there'd be a thread for the Spoilercast when he posted in the latest Bombcast thread, so I guess we'll take that as a go-ahead from the mods.

Oh man that time scared the hell out of me until I remembered you're in a very different timezone. I'll be able to get it for my travel to campus!

qlcrew.com
Giant Bomb Video Buddy has a download function

list of really recommended QLs (and Unfinisheds) since 2015-07-01:
- RONIN
- Armello
- Poly Bridge
- Contradiction: Spot the Liar!
- Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
- King of Dragon Pass
- Hacknet
- Mega Man Legacy Collection

also not a bad choice:
- Rare Replay 1&2 if you're nostalgic for those games
- MGS V informs well about the game without spoiling
- if you like the GBeast trio adventuring: Evoland 2, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Blues & Bullets
- Rise of Incarnates: if you want to get to know Austin & Anime
- Shred! Downhill Mountain Biking: bad game, some good laughs
- Super Mario Maker: 2 guys shilling and goshing

interesting games but Quick Look is nothing special:
- Super Chibi Knight
- Rocket League
- Galak-Z
- King's Quest
- Cradle
- Heroes of the Storm
- Until Dawn
- Lara Croft Go

disclaimer: I love pretty much every GBeast QL

Not including "Blues and Bullets" on this list is a crime! It's like the sequel to Deadly Premonition we'll never get, and the best goddamn quick look since Contradiction.

I feel like Until Dawn kinda falls apart after
the Wendigo stuff starts. It just dumps the characters in favor of overly long QTEs.

what can i say, i like

Code:
intelligent

resourceful

persuasive

girls

except she was none of those qualities

I can think of one scene
when they were reading the Stranger's diary
where she showed some signs of resourcefulness but otherwise pretty much all of the female cast did vastly more of those qualities than she ever showed. There's probably something to her terrible city girl style of talking that rubs me the wrong way too. They were this close to giving her an uptick and a throat fry, I can tell.

HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS VIDEO BUDDY APP?!?!?!

I've been painfully going to their horrendous mobile site to watch videos for far, far, far too long.

Video buddy app is how I watch 90% of GB videoes. It's awesome and I honestly wouldn't be seeing nearly as mich if a had to deal with their terrible video player.

Until Dawn spoilers end game,
Ashley was my first death in Until Dawn. In my playthrough Jessica was alive so I really thought she was trapped down there and then POP.

hamchan

Haha these kids started to get stupider in Until Dawn, at least Hayden Panettiere's group . 1 and a half hours into part 3.

Mike has started to turn into an action hero and Emily is clearly the smartest one so far.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Haha these kids started to get stupider in Until Dawn, at least Hayden Panettiere's group . 1 and a half hours into part 3.

Mike has started to turn into an action hero and Emily is clearly the smartest one so far.
Welcome to horror movies.

hamchan

Vinny finally told the chat to not write spoilers about what happens for the other choices because yo, the game is meant to be replayed to see how else it can go down. Good on ya Vinny.

The end of Alex's playthrough was hilarious LOL.

Jintor

i take from this chatter i'm going to enjoy finally booting up the Until Dawn playdate at some unspecified point in the future

Late game Until Dawn spoilers ahoy!

I was really enjoying this Until Dawn playthrough, and still am, but that
wendigo reveal is ridiculous, I was on board up until this. It just seems so late to add something so far fetched, even though this is supposed to be a teen horror etc and already silly. It's a shame they're not like the ones in Ravenous instead of the gollum looking ones. It ruined that caving horror film for me too, can't remember the name atm but I found that creepy until the monster reveal and then it became ridiculous for me.

I still don't understand why everyone thinks Sony didn't get behind Until Dawn. Advertisements and trailers galore, flyers in retail copies of several of their big games and so on.

And giantbomb has also fallen into the trap of acting like Until Dawn's branching is more advanced than it is and putting Quantic Dream's games down. It's so weird to see people fall into Until Dawn's pr materials. Almost every story event is linear and every character has
plot armor
for the vast majority of the game. I mean, I liked the games but the branching is way more limited than people think and it's no where near as mechanically ambitious as Beyond which had a lot of meaningful, interesting interaction.

The writing definitely works for the game, although the game does an awful job of taking all scenarios into account. End game spoilers
In one of my playthroughs no one died yet they still freaked out in the
kill room
with no one there! And the ending snippets don't reflect events well either, why does Chris not mention his love interest Ashley being burned alive? It's all so fake and like Quantic Dream or not both Beyond and Heavy Rain had tons of completely different, extended endings at the very least. Everything in Until Dawn leads to the same place with no deviations, no matter what decisions you make.

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished the Until Dawn video.

Great video serie and really fun game..... However.... (spoiler obviously)

I'm a bit disapointed that they went the supernatural/wendigo route. I really liked the idea of having an actual serial killer runing around killing teens.

Late game Until Dawn spoilers ahoy!

I was really enjoying this Until Dawn playthrough, and still am, but that
wendigo reveal is ridiculous, I was on board up until this. It just seems so late to add something so far fetched, even though this is supposed to be a teen horror etc and already silly. It's a shame they're not like the ones in Ravenous instead of the gollum looking ones. It ruined that caving horror film for me too, can't remember the name atm but I found that creepy until the monster reveal and then it became ridiculous for me.

Yup exactly... They kinda went Cabin in the wood route which worked great for that movie but I wish they would have stayed more "realistic"

I still don't understand why everyone thinks Sony didn't get behind Until Dawn. Advertisements and trailers galore, flyers in retail copies of several of their big games and so on.

And giantbomb has also fallen into the trap of acting like Until Dawn's branching is more advanced than it is and putting Quantic Dream's games down. It's so weird to see people fall into Until Dawn's pr materials. Almost every story event is linear and every character has
plot armor
for the vast majority of the game. I mean, I liked the games but the branching is way more limited than people think and it's no where near as mechanically ambitious as Beyond which had a lot of meaningful, interesting interaction.

The writing definitely works for the game, although the game does an awful job of taking all scenarios into account. End game spoilers
kill room
with no one there! And the ending snippets don't reflect events well either, why does Chris not mention his love interest Ashley being burned alive? It's all so fake and like Quantic Dream or not both Beyond and Heavy Rain had tons of completely different, extended endings at the very least. Everything in Until Dawn leads to the same place with no deviations, no matter what decisions you make.

How would they know any of this on their first playthrough? I know Vinny has played it before, but I doubt he has read much about it. At face value it seems exactly like they think it is. I didn't know about any of that until I read your post.

Anybody else on Mission 18 of MGSV just
call down some jeeps and load the kids in those as soon as you got out of the tunnel? I felt pretty smart coming up with that.

yami4ct

plot armor

kill room

I do think people give Until Dawn a bit more credit than it deserves. However, the game has the advantage of actually being quite well written for what it is. I think that's what makes all those bits work and makes the game feel more complex than it is. I also think because the story really accomplishes what it sets to do, it gives it a pretty big advantage over the Quantic Dream stuff. This is coming from someone who like's their work.

Anybody else on Mission 18 of MGSV just
call down some jeeps and load the kids in those as soon as you got out of the tunnel? I felt pretty smart coming up with that.

That is brilliant. Why didn't think of that? I did that once with a bunch of nice ranked soldiers one time, but I didn't even think of doing it there.

Just finished the Until Dawn video. Really great watch in the end. I have problems with some of the games story, a few I mentioned above, but overall a really good game. Simple enough story to be really effective and engaging throughout. I'm definitely going to pick it up in a sale when my memory of it has faded somewhat.

Thanks Giant Bomb East, this and Contradiction have been some of my favourite content since the endurance runs.

daydream

Banned
yeah, the game seems to drop off heavily in the last third in terms of storytelling. after doing a bit of research and looking at the different endings, it's really not as amibitious and multi-branched as it pretends to be, and there are some incongruities, like ricochet mentioned

still, that's about two more good thirds of mystery thriller than i expected, and being great material for a beast video series is not the worst fate in the world for a video game, either

Jothel

The day until dawn came out I decided to check it out being played on Twitch, it was the very last bit of the game - so the late game reveal was spoiled INSTANTLY for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom