• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
nah, Vinny would've figured it out. he was actually gonna go to the Chief once for help but Austin read the chat and ruined that. Vinny missed out on not only the hints but some real funny dialogue from the Chief. if you actually kept going back to him, the Chief turns out to be kinda weird.

besides, I'd rather they look up a FAQ over the chat comments. at least Austin won't be constantly scanning the chat.

Having the FAQ/walkthrough open for when they got stuck worked fine for Bioforge, yeah.

LiK

Having the FAQ/walkthrough open for when they got stuck worked fine for Bioforge, yeah.

also worked fine for VinnyVania with Castlevania 2. when they started going into chat for the third game, that got annoying and even Vinny told Austin to stop checking chat at one point.

I just want them to play in a bubble, tbh. it's more fun when they're just figuring it out themselves, imo.

Quentyn

Haven't watched the latest Until Dawn stream yet, but I agree with the chat thing. It's the only thing I don't like about the GB East streams. It's also hurt the Castlevania streams when Austin at times was so fixated on the chat that he didn't realize Vinny died until a few seconds later.

They should just use the chat to make sure the audio is okay and then close the laptop.

Haven't watched the latest Until Dawn stream yet, but I agree with the chat thing. It's the only thing I don't like about the GB East streams. It's also hurt the Castlevania streams when Austin at times was so fixated on the chat that he didn't realize Vinny died until a few seconds later.

They should just use the chat to make sure the audio is okay and then close the laptop.

yeah, the chat should be a last resort type of thing. Austin was straight spoiling Contradiction when he was trying to be helpful.

Just make sure everything is in order and put the thing to the side until needed. Chat doesn't know how to show restraint

also these MGSV street art things are kewl

LiK

Austin does a great job keeping up with the crazy chat during the streams but I think it would be better if he was just using it for technical checks over as a helpline. but that's just me.

so are we meant to assume the sanitorium was doing crazy experiments on people to turn them into wendigos or what

My idea of the story of Until Dawn,,,

The Spirit of the Wendigo was always a thing that existed in them hills
The sanatorium was built on the mountain for people with untreatable issues - not related to anything supernatural
Mines were built for mining
Accident happened
The miners were trapped underground for a long time, some resorted to cannibalism
They were taken by the Spirit of the Wendigo
Miners were rescued
Problems were noticed, some were admitted to sanatorium
They turned and caused problems
Flame guy was not happy, tried to kill them
Teens happen
Twins Die
Teens Returns
Stuff happens Until Dawn

Myggen

My idea of the story of Until Dawn,,,

The Spirit of the Wendigo was always a thing that existed in them hills
The sanatorium was built on the mountain for people with untreatable issues - not related to anything supernatural
Mines were built for mining
Accident happened
The miners were trapped underground for a long time, some resorted to cannibalism
They were taken by the Spirit of the Wendigo
Miners were rescued
Problems were noticed, some were admitted to sanatorium
They turned and caused problems
Flame guy was not happy, tried to kill them
Teens happen
Twins Die
Teens Returns
Stuff happens Until Dawn

Seems about right.

FStop7

Banned
I watched the Taken King quick look.

It's odd, the way Brad was constantly appealing to Jeff for his approval of the changes made to the game.

Myggen

I watched the Taken King quick look.

It's odd, the way Brad was constantly appealing to Jeff for his approval of the changes made to the game.

Eh, Brad wants others to enjoy the game he enjoys. Quite normal, you see it on GAF and among friends all the time.

Got home after the stream ended. I was hoping for it to be live tomorrow before UFT so I could see it live, but oh well. Time to watch this thing before it's removed from the current program link.

Suplexer

I am basically two months behind on content and every time I check the site I am realizing how hard it is to sort videos by my specific predicament.

Are there any specific QLs worth watching? I'm going to end up watching all the premium content, eventually, but I don't want to miss out on any cool games I may have missed through some QLs.

Also, is there a good way to download videos to a phone (android) for offline consumption?

jaina

I am basically two months behind on content and every time I check the site I am realizing how hard it is to sort videos by my specific predicament.

Are there any specific QLs worth watching? I'm going to end up watching all the premium content, eventually, but I don't want to miss out on any cool games I may have missed through some QLs.

Also, is there a good way to download videos to a phone (android) for offline consumption?

qlcrew.com
Giant Bomb Video Buddy has a download function

list of really recommended QLs (and Unfinisheds) since 2015-07-01:
- RONIN
- Armello
- Poly Bridge
- Contradiction: Spot the Liar!
- Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
- King of Dragon Pass
- Hacknet
- Mega Man Legacy Collection

also not a bad choice:
- Rare Replay 1&2 if you're nostalgic for those games
- MGS V informs well about the game without spoiling
- if you like the GBeast trio adventuring: Evoland 2, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Blues & Bullets
- Rise of Incarnates: if you want to get to know Austin & Anime
- Shred! Downhill Mountain Biking: bad game, some good laughs
- Super Mario Maker: 2 guys shilling and goshing

interesting games but Quick Look is nothing special:
- Super Chibi Knight
- Rocket League
- Galak-Z
- King's Quest
- Cradle
- Heroes of the Storm
- Until Dawn
- Lara Croft Go

disclaimer: I love pretty much every GBeast QL

AcridMeat

Banned
also worked fine for VinnyVania with Castlevania 2. when they started going into chat for the third game, that got annoying and even Vinny told Austin to stop checking chat at one point.

I just want them to play in a bubble, tbh. it's more fun when they're just figuring it out themselves, imo.
I agree, that's where the fun is with this stuff. Unless you do a stream specifically catered to chat input, like Mary's chat decides Until Dawn run, just close the laptop and have fun figuring shit out.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
jesus, that's really fucking stupid

how could it possibly be worth pissing microsoft off that much

What do they care when Microsoft's made it clear that elimination of Gamestop is one of their primary goals in home consoles? This is the first thing that I've seen in over a decade that would get me to go to a Gamestop, so it works for me.

Myggen

What do they care when Microsoft's made it clear that elimination of Gamestop is one of their primary goals in home consoles? This is the first thing that I've seen in over a decade that would get me to go to a Gamestop, so it works for me.

I think Gamestop knows that that's a goal of pretty much all AAA publishers. Probably Sony too. All of them hate others profiting on selling their games used.

Why the fuck would a company selling less products like this get you to go there?

The side effect will be some physical bundles, short term but as they become less relevant, platform holders will see the benefit of including digital codes outweighing selling that bundle at Gamestop. Gamestop does not seem to have any kind of long term solution to their business collapsing. There are so many other places to sell the physical hardware, their leverage is slipping away.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So who takes the hit: Gamestop or the consumer? Either way this seems like a foolish move.

Either gamestop, in which case I don't care, or the customer, in which case I'd still choose the physical bundle if given the option along with any savings over either buying everything separately or buying a bundle with a download code

popo

I always hated digital codes in bundles. I got a physical Driveclub disc with my PS4 and cashed it out for £35. Driveclub ain't that bad but it ain't no £35.

So who takes the hit: Gamestop or the consumer? Either way this seems like a foolish move.

It's a desperate move, made too late but it has the potential to be good for their customers while it lasts. Their shelf space and promotional space isn't as critical anymore otherwise they would have convinced the platform holders to do physical bundles themselves. Console hardware has notoriously low margins for the retailer so whatever hit they are taking, it has to be painful.

TraBuch

Banned
Oh, sorry, didn't realize it was on the first page. Never look at it except for when there's a new thread. And I have it bookmarked on my PC but I'm on a tablet right now. Will bookmark it here, too, thanks.

Myggen

Oh, sorry, didn't realize it was on the first page. Never look at it except for when there's a new thread. And I have it bookmarked on my PC but I'm on a tablet right now. Will bookmark it here, too, thanks.

I realized after posting it that the comment could be read as a bit snarky, it was only meant as a tip that it's in the OP! :)

yami4ct

Surprised Gamestop hasn't done this earlier. It makes complete sense for them to do it. They are still big enough that manufacturers aren't going to cut them off, so why support a practice that directly interferes with your business model? I won't pretend this is some great pro-consumer practice, they certainly aren't being altruistic here, but nothing about this move seems crazy to me at all.

oti

Banned
Would you recommend to watch a Let's Play of Until Dawn without commentary first or jump straight into the GB one?

Also I just realized I HAVE to buy and play through MGS V before the GOTY podcasts hit to enjoy those. I don't really care about Witcher spoilers but MGS seems to be the big one this year. I wanted to finish some games off my backlog first though. :(

Hoping for the Steam price to drop

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's a horror game in the sense of cheesy slasher movies. It's more fun than scary. If you can't play it first, the GB playthrough will be fine.

Surprised Gamestop hasn't done this earlier. It makes complete sense for them to do it. They are still big enough that manufacturers aren't going to cut them off, so why support a practice that directly interferes with your business model? I won't pretend this is some great pro-consumer practice, they certainly aren't being altruistic here, but nothing about this move seems crazy to me at all.

I don't know. I just don't see how this helps their cause in any way. It's not going to stop digital from being the future, and it's not going to make them any more money. If anything it's going to cost them when they cut pack-in deals with companies like EA and Ubisoft.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Nah, people will bring in packed in games which in turn gets gamestop money. Hardware already has razor thin margins and takes up alot of space.

I will say, fuck digital bundles. It does have a little benefit for those of us with hardware already, cheap codes that were pulled from bundles.

Myggen

Would you recommend to watch a Let's Play of Until Dawn without commentary first or jump straight into the GB one?

Also I just realized I HAVE to buy and play through MGS V before the GOTY podcasts hit to enjoy those. I don't really care about Witcher spoilers but MGS seems to be the big one this year. I wanted to finish some games off my backlog first though. :(

Hoping for the Steam price to drop

I would recommend just watching it with GB commentary.

yami4ct

I don't know. I just don't see how this helps their cause in any way. It's not going to stop digital from being the future, and it's not going to make them any more money. If anything it's going to cost them when they cut pack-in deals with companies like EA and Ubisoft.

This isn't something they're doing to fight the digital future. This is something they're doing so they can get the trade-ins back on those consoles. As has been mentioned, consoles margins are razor thin and this is GS's way of making profit where it can while it can. GameStop has been setting up several other things to try and transition when/if things go mostly digital. Whether those are successful is yet to be seen, but this move has very little to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom