• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

So I have a question about consistency in the ending they chose:
When you're back in the school bathroom, you can't intervene and save Chloe because it would constitute you meddling with time, thus leading to all the supernatural disasters for Arcadia Bay. But then when we get to see what photos are burned and what photos remain in that timeline, we see Mr Professor guy (I already forgot his name) getting arrested, which means Max must have tipped someone off, right? So why didn't that kind of meddling with time using the prescience she got from her time travelling give rise to the disasters?

Also a very minor thing I'm curious about:
If you didn't kiss Chloe in the earlier episode, do you still get that ending kiss?

Tell me about it, Warren totally got a boner during that hug.

They even mention it, but I think it's implied that Nathan confessed to everything, which would mean he told the cops about what Jefferson was doing as well.

That last episode was by far the best. It actually makes me excited to finish it in my own playthrough.

Interesting that someone thinks that. I honestly feel it's the weakest, or second weakest. My personal order is 4 > 3 > 2 > 5 = 1.

While we're on the topic of episodic games, that second season of Walking Dead is kind of bad. I remembered Alex and Patrick being really down on it and after playing it I definitely get why.
It is certainly weaker than the first, but I left it kind of happy (with how it turned out, not at the awful shit that went down) in the end.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
When you're back in the school bathroom, you can't intervene and save Chloe because it would constitute you meddling with time, thus leading to all the supernatural disasters for Arcadia Bay. But then when we get to see what photos are burned and what photos remain in that timeline, we see Mr Professor guy (I already forgot his name) getting arrested, which means Max must have tipped someone off, right? So why didn't that kind of meddling with time using the prescience she got from her time travelling give rise to the disasters?
She would need to rewind time to save Chloe (yeah, yeah, I know), but not to tip off the police.
edit: Ooooh, Nathan confesses? Ok, that makes more sense.

If you didn't kiss Chloe in the earlier episode, do you still get that ending kiss?
Pretty sure there was no kiss for me

ST2K

Man, Life is Strange is so good.

The photos show Nathan being interrogated by the cops followed by Jefferson being arrested. It's thus implied that he ratted out Jefferson.

You don't get it if you don't kiss her.

repeater

Ah OK, thanks guys, that clears that one up I guess.
mnz said:
Pretty sure there was no kiss for me
OK good, because
except for that earlier episode kiss -- if you went for it -- I felt like there wasn't much of that kind of vibe to the whole Max/Chloe relationship. If they'd made it into a mandatory (romantic) love story, I felt that would have cheapened it somewhat. It's more interesting as a story about the love between two reunited friends, I feel.

Zaph

Jeff's comments during GOTY deliberations were super wrong, but obviously they couldn't have argued for it being a GOTY-contender without actually playing through all of it. Not sure where I'd place it, but Life is Strange definitely ranks within the Top 5 games of 2015 for me.

Not really:
Ep5 spoilers -
The two points Austin and Vinny said they were interested in seeing play out (what's up with max's powers and what's going on with the town) don't get concluded at all. He wasn't wrong in context to what they were saying.

Now that they finished the game they might care less about those two things and are more invested in the Max/Chloe relationship, but that doesn't change what they said.

I'm hoping they talk about it with full spoilers on the Beastcast, and if they felt those open ended arcs mattered for them in the end. Personally I never bought into the whole Max/Chloe thing and was hoping for the larger mystery to be the focus.

Scizzy

It is certainly weaker than the first, but I left it kind of happy (with how it turned out, not at the awful shit that went down) in the end.

I think the endings of Walking Dead season 2 were wildly inconsistent. I lucked out and got the ending that made at least some sense and led to a really emotional moment. The other endings I watched in YouTube were dreadful.

I think the endings of Walking Dead season 2 were wildly inconsistent. I lucked out and got the ending that made at least some sense and led to a really emotional moment. The other endings I watched in YouTube were dreadful.
Hmm, I have not seen anything but the one I got.

Not really:

Now that they finished the game they might care less about those two things and are more invested in the Max/Chloe relationship, but that doesn't change what they said.

I'm hoping they talk about it with full spoilers on the Beastcast, and if they felt those open ended arcs mattered for them in the end. Personally I never bought into the whole Max/Chloe thing and was hoping for the larger mystery to be the focus.

That's a great point, and I agree with you. However, Jeff using that as a tactic in the debate was lame. In the end, the game stuck the landing and I enjoyed it thoroughly, and that's what matters to me.

Patryn

6ljB1qf.png

Yep, I figured I'd see this tweet.

kvk1

hey guys piston hyundai is not on board with the programming so far

both on the website and in here

just making sure everyone knows

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not really:
They also said they thought a few characters were too one-dimensional and most of the ones they mentioned had significant story archs afterwards. I still think the comment wasn't fair. But I also think the others should know by now how to feel about such comments from Jeff.

This is touched on briefly in the episode 5 but
Throughout the whole game there is only one Max that has the total knowledge of what happened throughout and that is the Max we play as. We'll call her Time Lord Max, or TLM for short.

When TLM jumps through a photo she "assumes" control of the Max in that timeline but still keeps her own memories. Once she leave the photo timeline the original Max of that timeline takes back over but doesn't have any of the memories or knowledge that TLM had when she was in control. We know this because when Max uses Warren's photo to go back to the party and Warn Chole she asks Chole to tell the Max of that timeline everything she just said to her because she won't remember any of it.

So when Max uses the butterfly photo to go back to the moment Chole was killed she is going back to the time before she even discovered she had time powers. By not using her powers to save Chole, TLM is ensuring that the Max of that timeline never discovers she has them once she leaves. The Max of the Chole dies timeline has no knowledge of any of the stuff that will happen over the course of the week. She doesn't know Mr. Jefferson is the culprit or that he was using Nathan. For the rest of the week until Friday when TLM goes back to the lighthouse before Chole's funeral that Max is just a normal high school girl living a normal life.

- J - D -

Wow the other ending is terrible and short and feels like it's the obligatory "other one" that the writers probably do not intend to be the correct choice.

Dragon

Banned
Wow the other ending is terrible and short and feels like it's the obligatory "other one" that the writers probably do not intend to be the correct choice.

Thats because they're essentially sacrificing the whole human race so Chloe can remain alive. No sane person would pick that choice.

Patryn

Jeff Gerstmann
@jeffgerstmann

Top 8 @giantbomb Quick Looks of 2015 (traffic):

- DOA5LR
- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Warframe
- Bloodborne
- THPS5
- MKX
- Dying Light
- The Order

On YouTube....

For those going directly to Giant Bomb, the list is:

- Rare Replay
- THPS5
- The Order
- Batman
- Dying Light
- Bloodborne
- Fallout 4
- MKX
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- AC: Syndicate
- Elite
- WWE Immortals.

Moaradin

Thats because they're essentially sacrificing the whole human race so Chloe can remain alive. No sane person would pick that choice.

eh
i didnt get the feeling that anything other than arcadia bay was in trouble. I mean they avoided the tornado by standing by a nearby lighthouse... plus things seemed fine in the aftermath. Besides arcadia bay lol

I noticed how high the view count on Xenoblade's quick look was quite high. Wonder why a fairly obscure game on a badly selling console had so many views. Perhaps, Giant Bomb has more JRPG fans than I realize.

Scizzy

What ending did you get?

Kenny, Celementine, and the baby get to the fortified settlement and the guard agrees to only let Clementine and the baby in. Kenny makes Clementine promise to teach the baby about all the people who sacrificed to see to his survival and walks off into the sunset, alone.

- J - D -

My problem with the "other" ending is not really with its implications or anything, but that it's so brief and feels cheap compared to the one Vinny and crew chose. It's obviously not the correct one.

It's also incredibly binary given Max's powers to shift even the smallest events. Granted, it's a video game, and time travel is always fucked, but still, it rings false unless you played as the most horrible person in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom