• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjin M

There's at least a bit of a chance you take conversation here too literally
I have to admit that I didn't know how you intended your comment, but it sure looks like a lot of other sad comments on this thread.

Poe's Law and all.

edit for the top of the page://
I kind of like the new UPF set, but I miss the boxes.

Life is Strange Stuff

Thats because they're essentially sacrificing the whole human race so Chloe can remain alive. No sane person would pick that choice.

Also Chloe dies all the time. What's the point in saving her? Five minutes after the ending where they kill everyone she's probably saying, "Look Max, an electrical outlet, let's stick metal things in it!"

klonere

Banned
It's meant for a very, very specific audience. I can appreciate it from a distance but the idea of possibly respawning half a map away from another human when you can die in one shot, plus the pressure of the hardcore players expecting everyone to be as super into the roles as they are, makes it not my kinda jam.

I'm not gonna try and change your mind cos you nailed it when you said Squad is for a very specific audience.

BUT Project Reality (its predecessor in case you didn't watch the video) delivered some of the most intense and enjoyable FPS gameplayfor me back when I played it. If you can break through the whole walk around for 20 minutes, get shot and spend another 10 minutes finding your squad again cycle that occurs you can get involved in some ridiculously tense firefights and vehicle battles. The insurgency mode Drew mentioned is also extremely fun (
okay it can actually be completely miserable sometimes if the insurgents don't coordinate enough
given the asymmetric balance of the sides: Coalition forces have fancy tanks, APCs, helicopters and scoped weapons. Insurgent medics for example might have a bolt-action rifle, rocks and ride around in shitty beat up Toyota's. Laying the perfect ambush with an IED after racing out into the desert on your Land Cruiser squad feels so good. Getting pinned down by a tank with nothing but your AK and a grenade, yet worming your way out...ah I could go on and on. It's one of those games based on singular moments that make up for the monotony and frustration. In a way its like a more action-oriented EVE: its all social interaction, a lot of dull running around and small bursts of sheer adrenaline.

TL;DR Squad is that sorta game where people ONLY use vehicles to transport people and very much enjoy doing so
whenever they add vehicles

popo

I love when people get told and then pretend they were trolling to save face

hmm? I got served and can take my licks. I was trolling star citizen. Of course the troll would have been more successful if I knew what I was talking about. I didn't and got called on it.

neshcom

Banned
Life is Strange Stuff
Also Chloe dies all the time. What's the point in saving her? Five minutes after the ending where they kill everyone she's probably saying, "Look Max, an electrical outlet, let's stick metal things in it!"

But think about how incredibly futile Chloe's life becomes if you kill her. She dies never knowing where Rachel went or why, knowing that Max came back to town and didn't meet her, and her relationship with David is never resolved and spells doom for the marriage. Not to mention the whole journey becomes an exercise in futility and a soul-wrenching what-if for Max. #TeamSaveChloe

FluxWaveZ

But think about how incredibly futile Chloe's life becomes if you kill her. She dies never knowing where Rachel went or why, knowing that Max came back to town and didn't meet her, and her relationship with David is never resolved and spells doom for the marriage. Not to mention the whole journey becomes an exercise in futility and a soul-wrenching what-if for Max. #TeamSaveChloe

And that's why
Max was given her powers in the first place. So she could carry Chloe's memory as one who truly understood her best friend, instead of Chloe dying as some random punk in the girl's bathroom that no one ever got to really know.

Dan streams weird. I can only select Source quality and whenever I enter the stream its black for a couple secs until it hits the next keyframe I think? Anyways with the shit bandwidth I'm getting from Twitch watching on Source quality is a pain.

Megasoum

Banned
Dan streams weird. I can only select Source quality and whenever I enter the stream its black for a couple secs until it hits the next keyframe I think? Anyways with the shit bandwidth I'm getting from Twitch watching on Source quality is a pain.

Don't know about the black screen but the reason you can only choose Source is because he's not a Twitch Partner (unless he is andI missed it?)

popo

Did he become a twitch partner or does everyone get quality options now?

They seem to turn it on when a Stream starts hitting a high number of views. Partnership doesn't appear to be a prerequisite. Might just be a manual thing a twitch admin does when a stream catches their eye. I've seen a channel have them one day and not the next.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
So much potential wasted in that Dragons Dogma QL with Austins boring character class. At least half the reason to play that game is to become a magic archer

My first time through I went Magick Archer all the way, so I wanted to mix it up this time. (I do wish I'd unlocked Great Cannon for the Mystic Knight by the time of the QL though. That + Antler Toss is incredible).

Also, part of my thinking was that the original DD QL (which is what convinced me to get the game years ago) features Patrick's Magick Archer. I wanted our videos to have class diversity so that players curious about melee combat could see how hefty and powerful it is.

I... put a lot of thought into things, sometimes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Dan booking the first flight to the UK
kqidwxS.png

Zomba13

Everyone should play Dragon's Dogma. If enough people buy it maybe we'll get DD Online in the west and maybe eventually a sequel?

tuxfool

Banned
Maybe I need to give Dragon's Dogma another shot...

As long as you know what to expect.

The large monsters are great, the combat system is fantastic. Everything else sucks.

The story does go places later in the game, but you have to slog through a lot before hand.

e: The vocation system and pawns are also neat little things too.

Mr.Towel

I'm more surprised Taco Bell in the US doesn't have fries. Up here in Canada, the shitty cheese covered fries are a core part of the experience.

killroy87

My first time through I went Magick Archer all the way, so I wanted to mix it up this time. (I do wish I'd unlocked Great Cannon for the Mystic Knight by the time of the QL though. That + Antler Toss is incredible).

Also, part of my thinking was that the original DD QL (which is what convinced me to get the game years ago) features Patrick's Magick Archer. I wanted our videos to have class diversity so that players curious about melee combat could see how hefty and powerful it is.

I... put a lot of thought into things, sometimes.

Haha yeah, I was half kidding. You can obviously play the game however you want, I'm just being a brat because magic archer looks sooooo dope.

jgminto

The Dragon's Dogma Quick Look was great, I wonder if they'll do a current gen release in the future, I have the PS3 version on Plus but the performance is real bad.

Meneses

The Dragon's Dogma Quick Look was great, I wonder if they'll do a current gen release in the future, I have the PS3 version on Plus but the performance is real bad.

I really miss playing that game, the QL brought back great memories but unfortunately I don't have a decent PC. If they brought this to the PS4... my god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom