• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

That last video had a "next time on" at the end, so it can't be far off.
Yeah, they always have that but I suppose it means holding back every episode until the one after is recorded.

The new set looks really plain and boring without all the cool posters and stuff in the background. Hope they change that.

They are, but Jeff said they don't want to decorate the studios until the baffling is installed so they know what does/doesn't interfere with audio quality.

BearPawB

Banned
Speaking of Early Access, someone stop me from trying Star Citizen.

i bought it last week only because after this month they are apparenlty separating the cost for the multiplayer "star citizen" component, and the single player story thing. So if you buy in now you will get both of those for one price, rather than probably like $45 for each of them.

What is there now is interesting, but it is almost nothing. There is nothing to sink your teeth into.

You fly around for 5 minutes and say, "huh, yeah, ok, cool". And then wait 3 more years for the game to come out

repeater

i bought it last week only because after this month they are apparenlty separating the cost for the multiplayer "star citizen" component, and the single player story thing. So if you buy in now you will get both of those for one price, rather than probably like $45 for each of them.

What is there now is interesting, but it is almost nothing. There is nothing to sink your teeth into.

You fly around for 5 minutes and say, "huh, yeah, ok, cool". And then wait 3 more years for the game to come out
Sounds like you made some great savings there. :)

BearPawB

Banned
Sounds like you made some great savings there. :)

haha.
It was a dumb impulse purchase.
I dont regret it. I know whenever the game comes out and I would have had to pay "double" i would have been really mad. So, a little investment.

The tutorials there were fun. The game looks good. And feels ambitious in-game as you would think.

I do believe that the game will turn into something amazing someday.

Uh, why are they doing that?

Uh, why are they doing that?

Squadron 45 is an episodic (I know) single-player campaign. Star Citizen is a massive multiplayer online persistent universe. They're not "splitting them up", they now making two games instead of one.

i

It's certainly not a full game, but you are very much selling it short. Yesterday I broke down what's actually playable at the moment, I'll try to find that post.

That feature creep

SQ42 was decided on a long time ago, but yeah I'm sure there is some of that going on.

Here's my post from the other day about what Star Citizen "is" right now:

There is the first semblance of the "Persistent Universe". Although it's not yet actually persistent, you can spawn into a space station and call in your ship, which will be delivered to a launch pad. From there you can fly around the system, completing missions, exploring an asteroid belt, repairing your ship at a dock, getting into dogfights with other players, landing on an abandoned station and getting into FPS firefights with other players, stealing other players' ships... It's basically fun, silly nonsense right now but it is an excellent proof of concept and they're improving it every week.

There's also Arena Commander, which is a really fun co-op or competitive dogfighting mode.

Also they're planning on releasing largish updates every month.

Is it even going to come out at all?

Episode 1 of Squadron 42 is supposedly coming out this year, but they've kept that game close to the chest so who knows. I do absolutely believe Star Citizen will come out, they have made good on a lot of promises so far so I have faith.

popo

That single player mode is never going to come out - they just keep adding things they are going to build in to it until it is "every game" - so at least you can play the multiplayer.

popo

i think dan's right that it's not in common common parlance, but it's pretty common in geek parlance. especially when you're talking about lovecraftian kinda stuff.

You might be right but they decided that cosmic horror was more common and I have never heard anyone use that term.

I think, given the audience he was writing to, Tim Turi was right on this occasion. Also, it isn't bad to use words that some of your readers might be unfamiliar with. They look it up and they just learnt a new word.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh god. I missed UPF yesterday and am using it as hangover medicine right now. Jeff cycled through every emotion he knows when he saw that Donut Create Push shirt.

also

7bB94HY.png

If you image search "donut create push" the third picture is Jeff's gone home strategy.

Sweet Drew QL will watch.

I'll never get what people see in this game.

Yeah. I just muted stream and went and did something else. Seems like fun local but watching it is the most boring thing for me.
Oh god. I missed UPF yesterday and am using it as hangover medicine right now. Jeff cycled through every emotion he knows when he saw that Donut Create Push shirt.
its the best
http://webm.land/w/SzhE/

Yep, that's essentially the point, and I love it. I don't necessarily like how telegraphed the choice was, but more games need to tackle the concept of
the ultimate futility of a journey.

Finishing the playdate right now. They made the right choice; if only because that's the one that wasn't hindered by budget.

Agreed. I think the ending was a commentary on gamers and player choice in games in itself.
You can accept that you're not God and 'fix' things by relinquishing the choices you've made, or you can insist that your choices are for the greater good, despite the game beating you over the head with the fact they're not at that point and

I know they quoted budget for why the second ending is shorter, but what did people want? The ending is literally "what you see is what you get".
They could've stacked the innocent bodies for you monsters, but I doubt that'd make you happy either.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Plus all of the avatars from the community thread hahaha.

The entire internet has roughly two results for that string unrelated to Giant Bomb. A tumblr comment where somebody asks a friend about the shirt they bought in Korea, and that picture. Other than that it's results from the past 24 hours.

Come back at me brah if it ever gets a final release.

I mean you literally don't even know what is reasonable to complain about. You say the "single player mode" is never going to be released. Well that's Squadron 42, it's an episodic, mission-based spiritual successor to Wing Commander and is far simpler in scope than the "multiplayer", which is Star Citizen. If you want to say Star Citizen is never coming out due to an expanding scope, we can have a conversation. You are actual too ignorant of everything involved to have an opinion worth consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom