• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Man. Every time I think I couldn't like Fire Emblem Fates Conquest even more, it throws something new and interesting at me to make me take note of just how awesome it is. The back half of that game after the chapters the game expects you to recruit children in (Around Chapter 19 or so) is just one amazing fun challenge after another. So many interesting design choices and map gimmicks that force you to really stop and consider every move. It also really, really incentivizes you to have a well balanced army. That's not something you see in a lot of FEs where certain classes are so strong, you'd be handicapping yourself to use much else. Most of these maps have big counters for every kind of unit and making sure your right characters are in the right place and the right time just provides some amazing strategy moments.

There's also the fact that the classes in this game are actually decently balanced. Archers aren't garbage as they once were. Mages are powerful, but not so powerful as to eliminate the usefulness of other ranged units. Maps actually incentivize range as well in some places, meaning classes focused on that aren't just sitting ducks waiting to be picked off in wide fields like they are in some other FEs
(Cough. Awakening. Cough)
. Even the extra classes you get for owning multiple routes fit in their own niches without being necessarily stupid OP. That's a balance touch most games don't do.

At this rate, the game is so goddamn good it might be hard for even Persona 5 to beat it as my Game of the Year.

Houndi101

When does the Uncharted review embargo lift?

Edit and then I go back to Gaming and it's right there: Uncharted 4 review embargo lifts May 5 at 12 AM PST

Myggen

That's the price of being a famous Youtuber. I assume Myggen is a famous youtuber because I subscribe to the channel, so that must mean it's really big.

I get all that Youtube money.

All of it.

Let's shutdown that rumour right now.

That was like my first post in the thread, that Austin might be the new hire and Myggen was so rude :(

2799702-9455145046-tumbl.gif

Patryn

We now live in a world where a major network television show had the Cell processor be a key component of the potential saving of the world.

What the hell is going on.

Scizzy

My one year review of Austin:

Pros: Great writing, great reporting, excellent on podcasts, fun to watch play games

Cons: Does that "blue collar guy yelling about the weird shit he has to deal with" voice too often on the Beastcast.

So, all in all, a mixed bag.

Overwatch is preeeeeeetty good guys. I know it shouldn't have been a surprise but the difference between the characters really surprised me.

Edit: Ewe that live video game sound on the bombcast is weird.

Salarians

My one year review of Austin:

Pros: Great writing, great reporting, excellent on podcasts, fun to watch play games

Cons: Does that "blue collar guy yelling about the weird shit he has to deal with" voice too often on the Beastcast.

So, all in all, a mixed bag.
Hmm... I'll wait for a sale.

derFeef

Overwatch is preeeeeeetty good guys. I know it shouldn't have been a surprise but the difference between the characters really surprised me.

Edit: Ewe that live video game sound on the bombcast is weird.

It's good, not that good. But it's a Blizzard game so everyone is in love with it - the crew will be too I guess. I always feel alone when everyone is raving about a Blizzard game and I think it's only "okay or good". I am getting bored of their games pretty fast.

This is quite literally the only game of theirs I've been interested in since warcraft 3.

Kind of the same. I've played and enjoyed most their stuff since, but usually fall off pretty quickly and eventually just going back to play wow for a month. So far I'm really enjoying this.

Kind of nice when developers get their heads out of their arse and make a video-game-ass-video-game once in a while.

*cough*where'shalflife3*cough*

Press up on the dpad when facing a wall.

Oh ok, that's a pretty cool thing then.

Edit: So far I'm just loving the varity in characters and seeing how learning the characters will advance play down the road. Playing the king of the hill type game or progression bases mode we had a point where we were in a big battle blocking us from capping the point and I was able to us the port of Reaper to go up on a ledge and go behind them all and cap the point and it just felt great. I can imagine more moments like that would only come from learning the characters more.

Salarians

Oh ok, that's a pretty cool thing then.

Edit: So far I'm just loving the varity in characters and seeing how learning the characters will advance play down the road. Playing the king of the hill type game or progression bases mode we had a point where we were in a big battle blocking us from capping the point and I was able to us the port of Reaper to go up on a ledge and go behind them all and cap the point and it just felt great. I can imagine more moments like that would only come from learning the characters more.
Yeah, learning how to be effective with each character (and successfully pulling things off) has been super satisfying. Like doing a rocket boost to an ultra with D.Va and taking out four enemies, or zooming into a crowd, placing my sticky bomb, and rewinding back out with Tracer. I'm still no good with Winston though...

Zaph

I just need a mod to remove every single one of Tracer's VO files. Nobody in England talks like that. Nobody. She's straight out of Oliver fucking Twist

Yeah, learning how to be effective with each character (and successfully pulling things off) has been super satisfying. Like doing a rocket boost to an ultra with D.Va and taking out four enemies, or zooming into a crowd, placing my sticky bomb, and rewinding back out with Tracer. I'm still no good with Winston though...

I've been trying to stick with more easy characters to get the feel for the game more before I jump ahead. I want to have sort of a base of characters to jump to depending on what other people pick. I've been sticking mostly to Reaper, Soldier, and Roadhog, but have dabbled a little with Mei who I really like but she can be a little complicated.

I just need a mod to remove every single one of Tracer's VO files. Nobody in England talks like that. Nobody. She's straight out of Oliver fucking Twist

I don't know if this any better but I thought she was Australian? Maybe not.

Zaph

I was watching Danny's Overwatch feature and one of the Blizzard devs implies Tracer was a major character in the cancelled Titan MMO.

Blizzard gonna Blizzard

But fwiw, I think it's a pretty damn good game, but suffers from the same problem as TF2 - I can't play more than 2 or 3 games in a row without a break.

Salarians

I've been trying to stick with more easy characters to get the feel for the game more before I jump ahead. I want to have sort of a base of characters to jump to depending on what other people pick. I've been sticking mostly to Reaper, Soldier, and Roadhog, but have dabbled a little with Mei who I really like but she can be a little complicated.

I don't know if this any better but I thought she was Australian? Maybe not.
Mei is great, really versatile with great survivability. Trying out all the characters really reminds me of my early TF2 days and I love that.

And remove Reaper completely. Such a hamfistet and edgy character, ugh.
DIE DIE DIE!

He's the worst.

At this point is the NX the longest a console has been known about without it being announced or even known what it is? It seems like the speculation has just gone on for too long at this point that no matter what they do will probably be a disappointment.

Also, D.Va is my girl but I cringed when I saw one of her unlockable lines is just her saying "LOL!"
D.va is so good. For some reason I don't mind her having lines like that, it might be because it feels a little more self aware of how stupid it is. "Winky Face" is a particularly inspired choice.

Also, D.va is a real great e-sports name.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's cool that you guys all enjoy your silly little shooter game, meanwhile I'm over here playing a real game. That's right, I'm talking about Rogue Squadron 3D on Steam. It's exactly like I remember it from the N64 days. I'm so happy.

RE: The bombcast talk about deaths of consoles. I remember the Dreamcast death being fucking depressing. Everyone who owned one including myself loved the system and it seemed like there was tons of rumors about Dreamcast 2 and then suddenly it's dead. It was such a damn bummer.

Edit: Also fuck this fruit talk. All fruit tastes the damn same except it's like different seventies of that taste.

Strax

The newest podcast a bummer. The games they've been playing I've got no interest in. The news were boring and the same goes for the e-mails.

:/

Oh well, can't all be good.

I hope the new podcast recording maybe helps them get it out tuesday mornings. I've always felt weird about it being so late on Tuesday so most people seem to listen to it on Wednesday and then it's basically one day that separate it and the Beastcast. Early Tues and early Fri seems like a better schedule for them both. I just don't know if they're able to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom