• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giant Bomb GotY 2016 definitive list taken from the future.

1. A first-person shooter.
  2. A third-person shooter mix.
  3. A multiplayer online battle shooter.
  4. You won't find ten games better than this one.
  5. A cinematic shooter.
  6. A futuristic shooter.
  7. A massively singleplayer online shooter.
  8. An agriculture simulator. You can shoot things in this, but you generally won't.
  9. The game only on here because of Austin's impassioned speech. War crimes gun optional.
  10. Whatever game overtakes Dark Souls 3 for this spot.
I think that about wraps it up. Shoot, it's over so soon.

Tubobutts

5. A cinematic shooter.
  6. A futuristic shooter.
  8. An agriculture simulator. You can shoot things in this, but you generally won't.
  9. The game only on here because of Austin's impassioned speech. War crimes gun optional.
You forgot "Game that Jeff likes because it is like the old games"

I really don't want this to sound like a Hot Take, but I don't understand how two people can absolutely gush about DOOM the way Jeff and Brad do. Like, it's an alright shooter. The soundtrack is whatever, though you can barely hear it in the mix so who knows, the story sure does stop you in your tracks a lot for something that's going for 'old school thrills,' Hell's potential is completely squandered aside from maybe two or three admittedly fantastic vistas, some of the guns you get quickly become obsolete the deeper in you get, and it just kind of gets old. To its credit, it does try to switch things up. As jarring as it is, the tower level is definitely memorable, but, aside from that, everything just kind of runs together.

Yep, still sounds like a Hot Take

Wensih

1. DOOM
2. Overwatch
3. Hitman
4. Stardew Valley
5. The Witness
6. Inside
7. FireWatch
10. Uncharted 4

This is my list of GiantBomb's going to be list....

If buzzfeed taught me anything, it's that

1. THE INTERNET
2. LOVES
3. LISTS

8 or 9 could be Dishonored 2?

I really don't want this to sound like a Hot Take, but I don't understand how two people can absolutely gush about DOOM the way Jeff and Brad do. Like, it's an alright shooter. The soundtrack is whatever, though you can barely hear it in the mix so who knows, the story sure does stop you in your tracks a lot for something that's going for 'old school thrills,' Hell's potential is completely squandered aside from maybe two or three admittedly fantastic vistas, some of the guns you get quickly become obsolete the deeper in you get, and it just kind of gets old. To its credit, it does try to switch things up. As jarring as it is, the tower level is definitely memorable, but, aside from that, everything just kind of runs together.

Yep, still sounds like a Hot Take

The same way people gush over baby mode shooter over watch

1. DOOM
2. Overwatch
3. Hitman
4. Stardew Valley
5. The Witness
6. Inside
7. FireWatch
10. Uncharted 4

This is my list of GiantBomb's going to be list....

If buzzfeed taught me anything, it's that

1. THE INTERNET
2. LOVES
3. LISTS

8 or 9 could be Dishonored 2?

Going by Jeff's excitement, I bet Titanfall 2 will be on that list.

BearPawB

Banned
I thought Doom was a solid 8/10

The game just went on far too long, the end of the game felt more like a slog

I was no longer searching for secrets, i just wanted to finish the damn game.

Which i actually did. I don't finish a lot of games these days

The Witness may actually be my #1. The witness absorbed me fully. It has been a long time since i was so entranced with a game. The witness is expansive, mysterious, bold, and damn good looking.

My only real issues with Doom are:

- Some levels have points-of-no-return which sucks when you want to backtrack to find secrets (although this bothered me less when I saw that everything you've already discovered persists if you replay a level)
- The levels, while well-designed, aren't very visually distinct in the way that, say, Halo's levels are, nor do any of them have any unique gimmicks.

Still one of the best shooters I've ever played and a fine choice for GOTY
even if I like The Witness a smidge more

This GOTY talk really reinforces how ridiculously good this year has been. Just an embarrassment of riches. There's at least half a dozen games I could see being my personal #1 and it's only August.

Overwatch won't win because Titanfall 2's multiplayer will be better and DOOM will clean up by default.

How can a multiplayer game win if it's not the best multiplayer of the year?

Megasoum

Banned
Stupid Xbox auto download thing...

I bought the WWE game and the Warriors Orochi game and then I had to boot my console to go cancel the downloads to keep my console clean and pure.

TraBuch

Banned
Man, firewatch came out this year. I had forgotten about that game
Still the biggest disappointment of the year for me. Beat it the day it came out and while I don't regret buying it, I still hate the direction they decided to go with that game.

Still the biggest disappointment of the year for me. Beat it the day it came out and while I don't regret buying it, I still hate the direction they decided to go with that game.
I feel the same way. It's fine for what it is, but I came away with the overwhelming feeling of "this could have been so much more interesting."

Also, the main characters' relationship is not nearly as well-developed or interesting as they were going for.

TraBuch

Banned
I feel the same way. It's fine for what it is, but I came away with the overwhelming feeling of "this could have been so much more interesting."

Also, the main characters' relationship is not nearly as well-developed or interesting as they were going for.
That's the main issue I had. Just when there was starting to be some character growth, they completely stop that aspect and head in a totally different direction. Went from what could've been an interesting character study about a depressed guy running away from his problems and meeting a woman who might not be as amazing as he thinks to some weird
Brian De Palma conspiracy knockoff.

Somebody help me with this... In one of the Beastcast episodes (I think) Vinny played a clip from a music video with a guy repeatedly screaming the word "Sale!". Could anyone link me to that episode of the Beastcast or the video in question? I'm pretty sure I'm not dreaming this up, but I get no results in Google or GAF search.

Somebody help me with this... In one of the Beastcast episodes (I think) Vinny played a clip from a music video with a guy repeatedly screaming the word "Sale!". Could anyone link me to that episode of the Beastcast or the video in question? I'm pretty sure I'm not dreaming this up, but I get no results in Google or GAF search.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/the-giant-beastcast-episode-51/1600-1596/

Might be this one where they delve into old commercials?

BearPawB

Banned

Sail by awolnation?

Megasoum

Banned
Everytime Jeff mentions cleaning his PS4 friend list I get affraid for a second so I boot my PS4 to check.... Phew he's still there... Playing AdVenture Capitalist lol

I can point out what are "flaws" in overwatch, but they are improving it all the time, and something about it just keeps me coming back. I haven't had a multiplayer game grab my soul like this since dota 2

jbug617

Banned
Doom is the early favorite.
I can see Jeff getting hooked into Titanfall 2 and that might upset Doom.
I think Uncharted 4 will be ranked lower than most people think (4-7) range.

Where do you guys think South Part and DR4 will come in since they are December releases?

I could have sworn that at the end of this podcast (#55), at the bit where Jeff B. is reading a ridiculously in-depth email about video cards, Vinny slowly faded "Sail" in as background music and it was fucking hilarious -- but it doesn't seem like it's there anymore, though the email remains. Did they edit it out for copyright reasons or was that a different bit in a different cast?

Jintor

I could have sworn that at the end of this podcast (#55), at the bit where Jeff B. is reading a ridiculously in-depth email about video cards, Vinny slowly faded "Sail" in as background music and it was fucking hilarious -- but it doesn't seem like it's there anymore, though the email remains. Did they edit it out for copyright reasons or was that a different bit in a different cast?
I just listened to it on pocket casts and it's still there in episode 55. (I've been listening to the entire run again)

Aselith

5. A cinematic shooter.
  6. A futuristic shooter.

Bloodborne was robbed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom