• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

killroy87

Hitman is almost a lock for GOTY at this point. I think every single one of them is converted. Jeff was the last chance Doom had, but now it will be an easy win.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Steam page has it listed as Mixed, primarily due to the DRM. Regardless of the reason, though, SE could see poor sales and mixed reception as a sign to go in a different direction. Fortunately, Season 2 has already been confirmed.

There's probably a significant number of people who looked at "episodic" and NOPEd out. Now that the whole package is out and the steam sale is about to start, I could see it having a long tail.

I do wonder how much the release method hurt the game. People were scared off for good reason early on.

The online/offline save bullshit certainly didn't help either.

Tagyhag

the "master race" people will get angry and then no difference will be made

I'm not a part of reddit and it still annoys me.

And I'm one of the lucky ones who has competent Internet. Imagine doing a tough elusive target and at the very end your internet cuts out for a bit and you lose all your progress.

It's not a pro-consumer move, no reason to thank the devs for it. Especially when it's been shown that it doesn't increase sales.

I'm not a part of reddit and it still annoys me.

And I'm one of the lucky ones who has competent Internet. Imagine doing a tough elusive target and at the very end your internet cuts out for a bit and you lose all your progress.

It's not a pro-consumer move, no reason to thank the devs for it. Especially when it's been shown that it doesn't increase sales.

I mean I agree that it should have an offline mode. 100%. I just don't think it's going to cause much of a sales hit.

Absolution has been out for years and been in countless bundles and sales for like 2 bucks. There is a reason it's sold that many. Hitman (2016) came out earlier this year and just finished up the first season. Lots of people said "I'll wait till the full season is out" and also waiting for a sale. I have no doubt that the positive word of mouth is enough to get this to be the best selling Hitman game, it's just going to take some time. Everyone was so skeptical of it when it went to a episodic game a month before it was released.

killroy87

they were all still high on doom on upf last week

It will be a super solid second place. Hitman is the Mario Maker of this year in that it has delivered quality content for months, except this time everyone is on board. Doom is excellent, but the inventiveness of Hitman with the episodes (which will work in its favor), the Elusive Targets, and all the other side missions, will push it over. That's all aside from the fact that Hitman has almost Metal Gear-levels of silliness to it that they all love.

Hitman is almost a lock for GOTY at this point. I think every single one of them is converted. Jeff was the last chance Doom had, but now it will be an easy win.

You'd have to assume so. Having Jeff and Brad on board is like half the battle. The fact Dan, and Vinny are high on it, too, really boosts its chances. Then you have Drew and Jason, who've watched Dan and Brad play it. Alex is the wildcard, but I think there is enough without him for it to win.

Catvoca

Banned
they were all still high on doom on upf last week

I'm guessing there's going to be some weird "I didn't like the arcade mode very much/ the multiplayer was kinda bad" argument that ends up stopping Doom from winning GOTY. Titanfall 2's definitely still in the running as well though.

I think that, no matter which way I goes, GOTY is going to be FAR more competitive than I thought it would be a few weeks back.

It'll definitely be better than 2014. As much as I enjoyed Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, I'm not sure that would even make the top-10 list this year, despite the awesome Nemesis System (which I wish someone would use again). If it did make the top-10, it'd be in the lower half.

What makes Hitman beat out Doom for me is that I have countless memories of awesome moments in Hitman, from my own playthroughs and Giant Bomb's. Meanwhile, Doom is a sequence of very fun, but also very non-descript firefights, all of which kind of blur together. Doom doesn't really have standout moments. It's really fun throughout, so I can't ding it too much, but I also found the level design a bit too meandering at times. Going for the collectibles, which was heavily encouraged, padded out the play time but really dragged the pace of the game down, too. It usually comes down to a match of "how many arguments against can we come up with for each game", and I think Doom has more of them than Hitman, which is just a fantastic package throughout.

Seems like nobody really latched onto Battlefield, so it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't make the list. Titanfall will (and should) be in the top 5 though.

Doom, Titanfall 2 and Hitman will almost surely make up the top 3, the order is just a little unclear. I think I'm still going to go with Doom> Hitman>TF2, I think when it comes down to it, Jeff and Brad will fight for Doom.

killroy87

It'll definitely be better than 2014. As much as I enjoyed Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, I'm not sure that would even make the top-10 list this year, despite the awesome Nemesis System (which I wish someone would use again). If it did make the top-10, it'd be in the lower half.

2014 is best left forgotten. I know they've defended it since, and they're as entitled to their opinion as anyone else, but there were much better games, even in a relatively weak year like 2014.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Doom VS Titanfall 2 VS Hitman
This'll be a slaughterhouse. This might actually be the first time there are three games most of them really, really like.

Seems like nobody really latched onto Battlefield, so it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't make the list. Titanfall will (and should) be in the top 5 though.

Nah, nobody cared about BF1 (except me, I love it)

I'd like to see a rotating host for the Bombcast, or do what the Beastcast did when Jeff G. was on a few weeks ago and have everyone kind of lead a section.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Oh look, Brad stopped the fun again by yelling STOP over and over. Ugh. When is the Bombcast Host election?

#Oestreicher2017

Sorry, as an actual Österreicher I can tell you that elections aren't necessarily our strength right now.
We are currently on track for a third attempt to elect a president. The first time got overturned due to some errors, the second time there was defect glue on the postal voting cards and there might very well be a fourth time since there are already signs that the online registry is fucked.

I love it too but I don't think it does enough new things, and takes a step back in many ways. The planes are so much more interesting than the jets were in 3 and 4 though.

Yeah, they took some things away that I really, really liked in BF4. Classes are much more restricted now, there are less weapons with fewer options. I'm still having a lot of fun but it needs more maps.

Tagyhag

I mean I agree that it should have an offline mode. 100%. I just don't think it's going to cause much of a sales hit.

To be honest, while we know it doesn't increase sales, we don't know if it really hurts sales.

I guess it depends on how many people go to a store, look at the score, and then just back out.

Catvoca

Banned
I love Brad as the Bombcast host. I've never found his stop talking thing annoying at all. He keeps the show moving and and he's better as the host than as a guest, where he can sometimes shut down a little.

pizzacat

Banned
I love Brad as the Bombcast host. I've never found his stop talking thing annoying at all. He keeps the show moving and and he's better as the host than as a guest, where he can sometimes shut down a little.
Whoa he's not shut down now?

He's at least on suspend mode right

Catvoca

Banned
Whoa he's not shut down now?

He's at least on suspend mode right

Maybe sleep mode
tumblr_mo9qq3bgxr1svus96o1_400.png

The Witness guys c'mon

Mourn those left behind:

• The Witness
  • SuperHOT
  • Inside
  • Doom
  • XCOM 2
  • Total Warhammer
  • Persona 5
  • American Truck Simulator
  • Firewatch
  • Dark Souls 3
All of which are at risk of not even appearing in the top 10.

I feel that Darkest Dungeon will get a rep in Alex, Stardew Valley in Dan (and whoever else actually plays it before deliberations) and the others are all known quantities.

FStop7

Banned
Hitman's great but it's not without real faults:

1. Online only for unlockables. Stability issues with disconnects and game crashes.

2. The disconnect between the grimdark Bourne Identity story stuff and the comedy jank of the actual game.

3. Level inconsistency. Colorado and Marrakesh are bad.

4. Placing a very important item for Hokkaido as a Colorado unlockable.

Doom has compelling single player but multiplayer that is sub-mediocre at best.

TitanFall 2 is the most well-rounded of the contenders.

Giganteus

Ya'll thinking Doom ain't going to be easy GOTY are so cute.
Before Hitman and Titanfall 2, I would've said the same thing, but I don't think it's an easy answer, anymore. All three are so liked by the crew, that they'll start really picking them apart, and Doom has an entire mode that's a disappointment, whereas Hitman and Titanfall 2 are fantastic all around. Just sayin'.

I haven't played it, I thought people liked Firewatch? Don't actually remember GB's words on it anymore.

All anyone has to do is whisper multiplayer and suddenly the conversation has a whole different tone.

It will be a bloodbath.

Doom will easily be top 5, probably top 3. They have brushed over the multiplayer before, and will continue to do so because of how much they love the single player campaign. I don't think there is even a possibility of it not being top 5 haha

Doom will easily be top 5, probably top 3. They have brushed over the multiplayer before, and will continue to do so because of how much they love the single player campaign. I don't think there is even a possibility of it not being top 5 haha

We're in a post-"I read the wikipedia entry" world. Anything can happen now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom