• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

I spent a long time today watching videos and reading articles about Valve and their current competitive game.s

It is insane how much money they make doing so little. Like it's crazy that Valve is this revered company when they leave games like TF2 to stagnate with no developer interaction and not even a clue of WHO is heading up TF2 development. They make tons of money off it still but have no desire to mandate it becuase it's not 'the fun new thing' based on their workplace mentality. Their updates consist of shit the communtiy made, not thing they put out. Which they've coasted on for years. CS:Go is handled by another developer entirely. I haven't looked too into DOTA 2 but it seems to be all Icefrog on the balancing end with the communtiy heading up a lot of the cosmetics. Again.

Meanwhile other developers get called lazy because they reused assets one time in a sequel.

CS:GO was made by Hidden Path but the main updates and fixes since the launch have been from Valve and really what pushed it back into the esports scene as it was a pretty horrid game in the beginning.

hamchan

CS:GO feels like a game Valve dislikes working on, especially compared to Dota 2 and well they support that in comparison.

Also Valve in general these days is about building the tools first, that then allows them to take a backseat and offload a lot of the work onto the community while Valve takes their cut.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
CS:GO feels like a game Valve dislikes working on, especially compared to Dota 2 and well they support that in comparison.

You can't sell that many silly hats in CS.
I used to be a Valve fan but I think I'm kinda done. Steam is still great for the most part and should Valve ever release another singleplayer game I'll be there day 0 but I have no hopes of that happening anytime soon.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You can't sell that many silly hats in CS.
I used to be a Valve fan but I think I'm kinda done. Steam is still great for the most part and should Valve ever release another singleplayer game I'll be there day 0 but I have no hopes of that happening anytime soon.

Knives are the new hats.

So I know the consensus is that this year's Mirror's Edge wasn't spectacular, but for someone who enjoyed the mechanics of the first game is it worth playing?

Pick it up out of the bargain bin.

Valve is only good as a games distributor and even then it's only because they were the first to nail digital distribution. It is a shit company that used to be good. I would almost call it total garbage but the refund policy seems to be completely automated and is actually pretty fantastic for avoiding a burn.

Valve's been a shit company for years. They were happy to make money off of gambling shit (and still do) until someone brought the heat down on them. They're far from alone in this but that doesn't mean I can't condemn it.

Also, the moving overlay in Jeff's latest stream makes it unwatchable to me, it was starting to make me feel actually nauseous.

kiguel182

Valve outsourced part of their work to the community. In various fronts. And man, it's genius.

I don't always agree with what they do but I have to respect the way they are an experimental company, especially on ways to make money, that makes consistently profitable games and, at the same time, uses the community to fuel those games so they have less work to do but also rewards the work of the people that do those maps and stuff.

The way they also support their esports prize pools with money from selling stuff to their fans that also get rewards from it is genius.

It's a truly unique company and I have respect for it.

Zaph

Valve outsourced part of their work to the community. In various fronts. And man, it's genius.

I don't always agree with what they do but I have to respect the way they are an experimental company, especially on ways to make money, that makes consistently profitable games and, at the same time, uses the community to fuel those games so they have less work to do but also rewards the work of the people that do those maps and stuff.

The way they also support their esports prize pools with money from selling stuff to their fans that also get rewards from it is genius.

It's a truly unique company and I have respect for it.

I'd probably agree if any of their output (since becoming a very profitable) felt unique/interesting/experimental to me. But instead its shooters and moba's. Wouldn't be surprised if their next project was a CCG.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'd probably agree if any of their output (since becoming a very profitable) felt unique/interesting/experimental to me. But instead its shooters and moba's. Wouldn't be surprised if their next project was a CCG.

To be fair, Dota 2 is one of the two reasons Mobas become the hot new shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mimikyu for best new character
tumblr_ogzgtnCKD31ttdkobo3_400.gif

tumblr_ogzgtnCKD31ttdkobo4_400.gif

tumblr_ogzgtnCKD31ttdkobo5_400.gif

tumblr_oh66z5qXdh1sr6y44o1_500.gif

patapuf

I mean, CS and Dota and TF2 aren't exactly "me too" games. They are pretty unique and their first interations were way before shooters and Moba were "the thing".

I get not everyone is into MP but Valves stuff is still very good,

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's more like there are so many shooters and MOBAs because of Valve, not the other way around.

patapuf

Valve didn't make or popularize League of Legends

Sure, but they were still there before most others realised how important Mobas were (and not that far behind LOL).

I'm not saying Valve invented everything but to me the notion that the fact that Valve moved on from AAA FPS's is considered "selling out" is comedic. It's people letting their preferences cloud their perspective.

They pioneered a shit ton of stuff in the MP space, the distribution space and now carry on with VR.

They are doing just fine.

It's more like there are so many shooters and MOBAs because of Valve, not the other way around.

How do you figure that when LoL is like 10 times the size of DOTA 2 or whatever? And FPS has been popular since forever. They deserve some credit but let's not go crazy. Valve rode the LoL coattails same as everybody else, they just happened to secure the DOTA name and the team what made it.

hamchan

Well, League of Legends came after Dota 1 had tens of millions of players, too.

But they monetized it really well. It's not just about popularity.

Well, once again League of Legends monetized it really well before Valve did.

Valve deserves a lot of credit for a lot of things, but not really for the explosion of MOBAs. LoL is more responsible for that, Dota 2 just helped.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
How do you figure that when LoL is like 10 times the size of DOTA 2 or whatever? And FPS has been popular since forever. They deserve some credit but let's not go crazy. Valve rode the LoL coattails same as everybody else, they just happened to secure the DOTA name and the team what made it.
Valve made Half-Life 1 and 2, they are very much responsible for the general popularity of FPS. I'm not just talking about CS:GO or anything.

And League and Dota 2 both tried to monetize DOTA, the original one. They didn't just try to copy LoL. They hired Icefrog in 2009, what was the state of LoL back then?

edit: Apparently it was in closed beta until late 2009. So, yeah...

Valve made Half-Life 1 and 2, they are very much responsible for the general popularity of FPS. I'm not just talking about CS:GO or anything.

And League and Dota 2 both tried to monetize DOTA, the original one. They didn't just try to copy LoL. They hired Icefrog in 2009, what was the state of LoL back then?

Quake? Doom? Duke 3D? Unreal (Tournament)? It's more than a stretch to say they're primarily responsible for the popularity of FPS, that's some revisionist history. They contributed for sure.. And even if Valve started on DOTA 2 before LoL hit it big, LoL is still orders of magnitude bigger than DOTA 2, so they're much more responsible for the popularity of MOBAs.

Zaph

All I'm saying is, Valve's company structure seems to end up squandering more opportunity rather than realising it.

Steam has given them more security than any developer could ever dream of, yet we're having the qualify and couch all of their (recent) accomplishments?

I suppose at least they played a big part in creating the best VR platform (but it's still VR...).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
God I'm not saying they invented FPS or MOBAs, geez. They are a big reason for why so many of them exist. HL1 was the first FPS to really use scripting, HL2 pushed physics, story and design. They turned TF2 into a money making machine through cosmetics and Dota 2 is one of the most succesful free to play games ever. How is any of that even a discussion?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

You do realize how many years it takes just to get to closed beta. Closed beta which is very far along in development cycles.

Like what are you even trying to argue with that?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You do realize how many years it takes just to get to closed beta. Closed beta which is very far along in development cycles.

Like what are you even trying to argue with that?
That they didn't chase LoL, they jumped on the MOBA train before it was a huge succes. That's what I'm arguing.

hamchan

I just wish Valve would hire teams to work specifically on their big multiplayer games.

I know that's not their style, I know that's not their structure, but their loose "do whatever you feel like" work environment means that a lot of stuff feels neglected. They try to get around it by getting the community to do the work and automating 75% of the game, but it still feels a bit cold. I don't like playing LoL but I look at the support and attention that game gets from Riot and I'm impressed.

Tagyhag

All I'm saying is, Valve's company structure seems to end up squandering more opportunity rather than realising it.

Steam has given them more security than any developer could ever dream of, yet we're having the qualify and couch all of their (recent) accomplishments?

I suppose at least they played a big part in creating the best VR platform (but it's still VR...).

Their structure and hiring process is good and bad.

I remember reading about Valve having one of the best profit-to-employee ratio in the entire world, they only hire the best of the best and their interviewing process is crazy.

But because of that, they're still at only around ~330 employees. That's Naughty Dog sized.

And yet they're doing so much it's crazy, but because of that, the process of all those things is slow.

A Valve with 3,000 employees of the same caliber would be insane.

hamchan

Also Valve stole Brad Muir. He probably lives in the VR space permanently now. Has anyone actually SEEN that man alive in the last year?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It is insane to me how popular TF2 is, how many youtubers with hundreds of thousands if not millions of subscribers it spawned, how much money it generates, how much machinima from fans it generates.

yet the game is balanced by likely two people who have a fraction of playtime that any major standouts of the community do. with zero communication with the community. cs: go's community says that valve doesn't take the competitive top level community's opinion seriously. but tf2's community, competitive and casual, isn't acknowledged at all by valve

It is insane to me how popular TF2 is, how many youtubers with hundreds of thousands if not millions of subscribers it spawned, how much money it generates, how much machinima from fans it generates.

yet the game is balanced by likely two people who have a fraction of playtime that any major standouts of the community do. with zero communication with the community. cs: go's community says that valve doesn't take the competitive top level community's opinion seriously. but tf2's community, competitive and casual, isn't acknowledged at all by blizzard.

Blizzard made titanfall 2?

ArjanN

God I'm not saying they invented FPS or MOBAs, geez. They are a big reason for why so many of them exist. HL1 was the first FPS to really use scripting, HL2 pushed physics, story and design. They turned TF2 into a money making machine through cosmetics and Dota 2 is one of the most succesful free to play games ever. How is any of that even a discussion?

You also can't really get around the fact Steam was a huge positive influence on PC gaming in general.

pizzacat

Banned
I wish they would force a team to work of tf2 updates, you know like actual workers ._.

But nah most of them are working on VR shit that'll never come out.

You also can't really get around the fact Steam was a huge positive influence on PC gaming in general.

I'd argue gaming in general they made digital purchases the norm and that effect spread throughout the whole industry. Digital hasn't completely taken over, but I think have has played a large part in getting it to the it's at right now.

Valve does a ton of questionable stuff, but they have been and seem to continue to be a mostly positive force in the gaming industry. I can't really begrudge them for making money at the same time.

Tagyhag

I'd go as far to say that Steam saved PC gaming.

Being a PC gamer was tough around 2005-2008. You had shit ports everywhere, devs definitely not caring as much, the hardware market was weird, and it just looked like everything was going to consoles while skipping PC.

Sure we still get some shit ports now but it was so much worse back then.

Imagine if Steam had never came out? I mean, it was absolute crap for a lot of years but it laid the foundation for digital downloading.

At the very best, GFWL or Uplay would have ended up being the core digital service....What a terrifying world that would have been.

robotrock

Banned
Is Nitroplus Blasterz actually a good game or am I being fooled?

It's cheap on amazon right now and I was severely disappointed by the hot mess that is Street Fighter V, so I would like to get a good fighting game.

jaina

Is Nitroplus Blasterz actually a good game or am I being fooled?

It's cheap on amazon right now and I was severely disappointed by the hot mess that is Street Fighter V, so I would like to get a good fighting game.
Nitroplus Blasterz - Heroines Infinite Duel was the most interesting fighting game Quick Look I've seen this year. Haven't bought it myself yet.

it looks like they made what a depressing amount of people wanted: an unfinished survival game

It was already that, now it's just one of those with the baseline of features you'd expect from a $60 game. But the base game left such a shitty taste in my mouth I doubt I'll ever go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom