• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a rundown of your favorites?

We did Budget Cuts. That was great.
Rec Room is my favorite.
Some of The Lab. My wife is obsessed with the one where you blow stuff up. I loved the look and feel of the space ship one.
I did a little bit of Job Simulator. That seems pretty good.
I have a free zombie game that came with the Vive that I need to check out.
At some point I'll have to spectate a DotA 2 match in VR
Before anything: Make sure, in Steam VR settings, you have asynchronous reprojection turned ON and interleaved reprojection turned OFF.

If you like horror games, A Chair in a Room: Greenwater is really good and a complete product. It will make my top 10 games this year, one of only two VR games to do so.

Other stuff:
Raw Data (best wave-based arcade shooter, great locomotion solution, very demanding of hardware)
theBlu
Destinations
The FOO Show
Out of Ammo (super fun wave-based RTS/shooter hybrid)
QuiVr (free and regular updates)
Trials on Tatooine (good once or twice, but it's free)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Google earth VR is still the most profound thing I've seen from it.

Even having never tried it I feel like it's kind of a spiritual experience in a weird way. To be able to see the world at its whole just seems like a beautiful experience as corny as that sounds.

Before anything: Make sure, in Steam VR settings, you have asynchronous reprojection turned ON and interleaved reprojection turned OFF.

If you like horror games, A Chair in a Room: Greenwater is really good and a complete product. It will make my top 10 games this year, one of only two VR games to do so.

Other stuff:
Raw Data (best wave-based arcade shooter, great locomotion solution, very demanding of hardware)
theBlu
Destinations
The FOO Show

Speaking of VR, I am impressed by the Hulu virtual theater in PSVR. It makes me bummed that Sony doesn't do the same for their cinematic mode. The ethereal screen is neat and all, but man, sitting in that Hulu theater is incredible. The screen feels massive. With PS4's standard cinematic mode, the virtual screen feels big, but it's not the same effect. Unfortunately, as I do not have a Hulu account, I can only stare at a blank screen, but it's impressive nonetheless. The Vudu app should get a virtual screen like that.

hamchan

The world is so small. We humans are so insignificant. We're just a speck of dust to the entire universe. Our existence, everything that we are can end at any moment. This is what Google Earth VR has taught me.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I was just watching Unprofessional Fridays and it locked up and when I reloaded this new player was in effect.

Can you not fill browser anymore?

Salarians

Y8VFWJo.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If i ever get a room that can fit it I want to get a vive just to experience that.

Also by the time that happens there's probably going to be an improved version.

Teddified

I was just watching Unprofessional Fridays and it locked up and when I reloaded this new player was in effect.

Can you not fill browser anymore?

In mine there is a Fill Browser in the settings on the player(click the cog). Its at the bottom of the menu under embiggen/debiggen.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was just kidding about zombie musou

then I saw Brad fighting a bunch of zombies with wide arcing attacks with almost no durability damage, no real counter attacks and basically taking no damage.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's good. It's just your typical gaming poscast for 1/3 the run time and twice a week. Interesting takes.

Glad they do guest shows very often.
Guest shows? Isn't it always Patrick, Austin and Danielle?

Reminds me a lot of Bombin' the AM, for better or worse. At its best you get some great analysis from the crew who are real smart people, at worst you have boring stilted skype conversations with everyone agreeing with one another. I think it might be getting a bit better though, the last few eps I listened to I really enjoyed. I think your enjoyment of it really comes down to how much you like to hear Patrick and Austin's #HotTakes.
Hm, I enjoyed BTAM much more, sadly.

Here's my real gripe with it: it's 75% Austin and I want to hear the other two crew members more. Danielle was basically the reason I listened to Idle Thumbs, but this is usually "let's discuss this with two sentences from you two and a 5 minute monologue from me". Maybe this sounds a little too mean, but I'm just pretty disappointed with how it turned out.

Catvoca

Banned
close the thread and think of Popplio's happy bwarks

This is good life advice. I feel better already

I enjoyed BTAM much more, sadly.

Here's my real gripe with it: it's 75% Austin and I want to hear the other two crew members more. Danielle was basically the reason I listened to Idle Thumbs, but this is usually "let's discuss this with two sentences from you two and a 5 minute monologue from me". Maybe this sounds a little too mean, but I'm just pretty disappointed with how it turned out.

No, I get that. Danielle in particular feels like she's just not part of the conversation most of the time. I think Patrick still gets his thoughts out there but as I said, the podcast is really about how much you like their hot takes, with their hot takes often being "Austin/Patrick talks for 5 minutes about thing, other person jumps in with variation on their take but ultimately agrees with them". I think it's a little better than i'm making it sound but it really is less a fluent conversation and more people taking about things for a while and then someone replying.

Why do I keep reading this TLOU 2 gaf thread about Ellie being gay when I know it's full of shitty posts

I don't know. It doesn't take away from anything and I'm happy for people who look for representation.
For selfish reasons though, I hope it's not a major plot point, because I hate every kind of romantic relationship in games, it always comes across as awkward to me. I prefer my video game characters asexual,

TraBuch

Banned
I don't know. It doesn't take away from anything and I'm happy for people who look for representation.
For selfish reasons though, I hope it's not a major plot point, because I hate every kind of romantic relationship in games, it always comes across as awkward to me. I prefer my video game characters asexual,
You know what game had a refreshingly well-done romance? Wolfenstein.

Fucking robbed.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Other stuff:
theBlu
Destinations
The FOO Show

Downloaded the free ones and added the paid to my wishlist to see if they go cheap during the Winter sale. I'm not big on honor and would probably soil myself trying it in VR. Thanks for the recommendations!

Google Earth VR is indeed incredible. It's such a must-try that I neglected to even list it.

My buddy did it briefly today. I will have a go this weekend. Sadly, I have to work all week so no more VR for me until Friday night.

If i ever get a room that can fit it I want to get a vive just to experience that.

Also by the time that happens there's probably going to be an improved version.

It takes less space than you'd think.

I also had to do weird stuff to get it setup right away. I had my PC in the living room instead of the office. That was up against a wall with cords dangling everywhere.

I bought a 25ft hdmi cable and a 25ft USB cable off Amazon to run from the PC in the office to the Vive box thing in the living room--Brad-style. Then we can all watch on the fun on the TV using the Link. Should be a lot nicer than having to move my pc everytime we want to play with the Vive.

I got a free Daydream headset with my phone and it just makes me want a Vive more. It works just well enough that I can see how much i'd love the full experience, but it has so, so many drawbacks. The FoV is terrible on Daydream, the remote constantly loses tracking, it is fairly uncomfortable and heavy, my phone nearly overheats using it, it has no apps.

Even with all those drawbacks, VR is rad.

I just finished up the Ryckert Thanksgiving podcast and I have to say that Paul's muffled "HEY!" in the background and ensuing chaos is the funniest thing I've heard in ages.

relief_md

Neo Member
I got a free Daydream headset with my phone and it just makes me want a Vive more. It works just well enough that I can see how much i'd love the full experience, but it has so, so many drawbacks. The FoV is terrible on Daydream, the remote constantly loses tracking, it is fairly uncomfortable and heavy, my phone nearly overheats using it, it has no apps.

Even with all those drawbacks, VR is rad.

I picked up a Pixel XL, got the Daydream a day later, and I'm in the same boat. Watched all the VRodeo's, all that jazz, but never actually tried out Rift or Vive proper. But I'm holding off. At this point, my CPU would have to be upgraded, which just means a whole new build, so I'm holding off til Vive2 comes out or something.

As far as Daydream goes, it's my first personal VR experience. Got the whole setup just in time to show it off for thanksgiving gatherings, and some of the coolest things are just Street View. Youtube has a pretty decent VR/360 selection, and make sure you download the Cardboard Camera, it gives you the ability to capture 3D 360 degree images with a neat sound sample taken while you're rotating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom