• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
I usually laugh with the GB crew during videos...but them laughing so hard at the stupid selfie camera in "dead rising" 4 is sad.

Anyone go to PSX? If so, did you check out Gang Beasts? I hear in the past at previous PSX's, E3s, and wherever else, its performance on PS4 was iffy, but at subsequent events seemed to be improving. I'm intrigued to see what they are going to do with that VR component to the game. I assume it's gotta be nearing completion soon. I mean, it was announced quite a while ago. Then again, Samurai Gunn was announced for PS4 and Vita in 2013 and that still hasn't been released, or even been discussed.

Phediuk

Prediction: Uncharted 4 will be this year's unofficial #11, along the lines of Wolfenstein: TNO or Mortal Kombat 9 in years past.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Prediction: uncharted 4 will just be a passing mention in every category except for "best graphics" and "best story" only because giantbomb likes bad stories.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The only thing I care about in regards to actual GotY results is which game will steal brad's heart.

Doom or hitman.

Uncharted 4 was kind of forgettable for me, it was a great game but it just didn't stick with me like a lot of other games this year.

I think Dan will push for it to make the top-10. It's his favorite of the franchise. I think if he stands up for it, then maybe that might be enough get a conversation going. I don't think there was anyone that disliked it.

Y'all are cursing us to an Uncharted 4 GotY right now. It's just how this stuff works.

While it may be my GOTY, I don't think it will win theirs. To me, it's the by-product of extended success. When something is successful for a long time, it tends to start being overlooked due to fresh blood, even if the fresh blood is sometimes not as good. The awards example I always go to is John Williams. No person has more Oscar nominations than him (50!), but he only has 5 wins (adaptation for Fiddler on the Roof, original scores for Jaws, Star Wars: Episode IV- A New Hope, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and Schindler's List), which are the most for any composer. Like John Williams, Naughty Dog has set such a high-bar, and consistently meets that bar, I feel they will be overlooked for something unexpectedly good that creates a buzz (like Hitman has this year, or Super Mario Maker and Rocket League did last year). I do think it will place in the top-10, though.

Gobias

Banned
I stopped playing Uncharted 4 halfway through. The quips were grating on me and the pacing was awful. Maybe they should have removed one of the push a box puzzles. I really liked playing Uncharted 2 when it first came out though.

Lunar FC

I stopped playing Uncharted 4 halfway through. The quips were grating on me and the pacing was awful. Maybe they should have removed one of the push a box puzzles. I really liked playing Uncharted 2 when it first came out though.

I've been borrowing my brothers copy for like 5 months and have next to no desire to play it.

Edit: Why is the new video player so awful looking? Rarely had issues with the old one and it didn't look like rats ass.

kvothe

The Bradding that occurred in the DR4 quicklook...Yeah, yeah, being recorded while you play is tough.. but still. Just try things! Especially if the game is repeatedly telling you you're doing it wrong.

demidar

Bit late to the discussion but Phoenix Wright might as well be asexual.

Well, the only thing he does love is getting his client off.

:p

The Bradding that occurred in the DR4 quicklook...Yeah, yeah, being recorded while you play is tough.. but still. Just try things! Especially if the game is repeatedly telling you you're doing it wrong.

I dub thee a new word describing a maddening state of mind through Brad-related gameplay as Braddening.

Example: Watching the Quick Look of DR4 is Braddening.

Eh, I don't think it's a big deal. Unless the game is absolutely terrified of a player being lost, a la Skyrim with the "next location" pip that reduces quests into nothing, it's always possible to miss something, assume that course of action is an impossibility, and then go on a wild goose chase for too long until you stumble upon the actual answer.

Like, I once spent an hour searching through a level in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, trying to find a way to progress. It went from "there must be a key in this room," to "I probably missed a key some ways back," to, "the level is bugged???" to, "What am I missing?!?!?!" until I noticed that... the room I was originally in had a door, with a button beside it, and pressing that button opened the door and the rest of the level was nothing at all. Minus the search, it was a 40 minute level. And that's without trying to carry a coherent conversation.

So it happens. Even the best game design in the world can't prevent it, and it's not really either sides' fault. And actually, I think the worse sin is games that have no faith in their players, giving them no room to get lost. (The aforementioned Skyrim mention is relevant here--Bethesda butchers its quests to ensure that the path is always clear.)

kvothe

Eh, I don't think it's a big deal. Unless the game is absolutely terrified of a player being lost, a la Skyrim with the "next location" pip that reduces quests into nothing, it's always possible to miss something, assume that course of action is an impossibility, and then go on a wild goose chase for too long until you stumble upon the actual answer.

Like, I once spent an hour searching through a level in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, trying to find a way to progress. It went from "there must be a key in this room," to "I probably missed a key some ways back," to, "the level is bugged???" to, "What am I missing?!?!?!" until I noticed that... the room I was originally in had a door, with a button beside it, and pressing that button opened the door and the rest of the level was nothing at all. Minus the search, it was a 40 minute level. And that's without trying to carry a coherent conversation.

So it happens. Even the best game design in the world can't prevent it, and it's not really either sides' fault. And actually, I think the worse sin is games that have no faith in their players, giving them no room to get lost. (The aforementioned Skyrim mention is relevant here--Bethesda butchers its quests to ensure that the path is always clear.)

But in this case the game is repeatedly telling him to use an alternate camera mode. Both through text right in the middle of the screen and through the main character saying stuff like "I should use a different mode." But even with the game saying "this is not how you're meant to do this," over and over, he keeps trying to do it the same way. Even Vinny was telling him to try it in the mode that wound up being correct, but Brad just wouldn't.

Sweet Christ the control, movement, and camera in The Last Guardian are so terrible.

Oh god this is like playing on a tv with 2 seconds of input lag. This camera too. Oh help me.

Lunar FC

Is escaping the cops hard in Watch Dogs 2 or am I just bad at it? I pressed circle one to many times trying to get out of my phone menu and punched the drag queen doorman in the face. She called the cops on my ass and it took a solid 8 minutes to escape them. Was annoying.

neshcom

Banned
Is escaping the cops hard in Watch Dogs 2 or am I just bad at it? I pressed circle one to many times trying to get out of my phone menu and punched the drag queen doorman in the face. She called the cops on my ass and it took a solid 8 minutes to escape them. Was annoying.
Once they get to using helis, it gets way tougher. It's always more time-efficient to jam someone's phone as they call 911.

It's not just you, playing coop it took me and my brother 20 minutes to get away from the cops, they are tenacious as hell.

What kind of fucked up lease did Dan sign where he is on the hook for another 10 months rent? Are renting laws diffrent in California? I dont understand why he cant just break the lease and lose his security deposit.

Edit: Just looked it up and yeah CA renting laws are in favor of the landlord big time.

Johndoey

Banned
My issue with Watch Dogs 2 is there aren't any stakes nothing pressing ever happens so it becomes this flat line with no real sense of progression.

Besides that it's doing it's whole relatively light-hearted band of friends story, but then also wants to mesh that with the serious real world implications of technology, but since it wants to stay light some real dark shit that goes down just gets glossed over.
---
The plot of Horizon seems like it's going to be the most generic shit ever conceived. Complete with disposable father figure for easy emotional motivation.

2904163-as.jpg
Quick Look: The Last Guardian
Alex and friends do a little dance, smash a few eyes, and get down with this game that totally exists.

---

45ErkIm.gif

DR4 looks like mindless fun to me. Getting it after TLG but I'm not THAT excited to play it.

Need a gif of this.

Also I wonder what Brad considers a good Bombcast email. Cause a lot of the time he seems to pick juvenile ones or ones about food.

46LzX33.gif

I did and posted a bunch in the EL thread. Jeff mentioned though that his cat is the type that doesn't like to be held.

I just finished up the Ryckert Thanksgiving podcast and I have to say that Paul's muffled "HEY!" in the background and ensuing chaos is the funniest thing I've heard in ages.

I always love the thankgiving podcasts so much, usually listen to them 2-3 times whenever Dan does one.

Did Jeff even play Uncharted4?

He stopped halfway through because E3, PAX and a bunch of other games happened. It certainly didn't change his opinion of the franchise though. As for me, I loved the game, it's probably my favorite out of the bunch because of the quieter moments. The second half of the game has some beautiful moments with
Elena
Jeep ride
, anyone?

Amazing.

Johndoey

Banned
Quick Look: The Last Guardian

---
He stopped halfway through because E3, PAX and a bunch of other games happened. It certainly didn't change his opinion of the franchise though. As for me, I loved the game, it's probably my favorite out of the bunch because of the quieter moments. The second half of the game has some beautiful moments with
Elena
Jeep ride
, anyone?
The bit on the
boat and island with Sam is great
and then
the epilogue was so sweet and charming especially after the final hour or so of combat slog

The smash cut in that game is so funny.

It helps blaskovich is a really likeable video Game gruff man
It's still weird to me how much Alex seems to dislike BJ's inner monologue. I didn't like the game very much but all of that was great.

Elena
Jeep ride
, anyone?

Speaking of Naughty Dog, I hope one day they make a buddy cop game. That way, they could deftly blend the humor of Uncharted with the tragic moments of The Last of Us. When I previously pitched this idea, for whatever reason, people also wanted it to be set in space (perhaps due to TLOU's Savage Starlight), but I think a traditional buddy cop setting (Earth) would be just as fine. Personally, I'd rather see Savage Starlight be a Star Wars-esque IP from Naughty Dog.

Speaking of Naughty Dog, I hope one day they make a buddy cop game. That way, they could deftly blend the humor of Uncharted with the tragic moments of The Last of Us. When I previously pitched this idea, for whatever reason, people also wanted it to be set in space (perhaps due to TLOU's Savage Starlight), but I think a traditional buddy cop setting (Earth) would be just as fine. Personally, I'd rather see Savage Starlight be a Star Wars-esque IP from Naughty Dog.

Oh man, that sounds great. I'd totally be down for a Lethal Weapon esque game.

Johndoey

Banned
I want to see a ND game with with no combat, like maybe whatever danger can be more environmental and evasion based, but just something where I don't have to kill a human being. A space trucking game or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom