• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoze

If anyone on the team was even slightly decent at the game, Hitman would be a shoe-in for GOTY.

As it is, Jeff is going to call it janky and it's going to miss out.

I donno, I think their enthusiasm for DOOM and The Witness would've still won out over Hitman even if they had properly sunk their teeth into it. Those are my predictions for #1 and 2 on the goty list btw.

popo

GOTY always comes down to Jeff versus Brad, as the only two who really give a shit who wins a dumb arbitrary award. Of the two Brad cares the most - which is why he wins most battles by attrition - unless Jeff feels particularly strongly about a game, like last year, in which case he can be equally as stubborn.

I usually enjoy everything about gotycasts up until the battle for the top three. Then it is just a slog. If I were in the room I think I would tell them to sort it out between themselves and go get dinner.

They won't forget about Inside, it's one of the few games most of them have played, I think.

They won't forget but Jeff has been holding back on that game, it is due a blast.

Curufinwe

I can't believe they actually considered Saints Row The Third for GotY at one point.
That was probably the moment I felt most out of touch with any of the guys tastes.

I thought it was a bit weird at the time, then when I played SR3 on PS+ I realized they were actually certifiable about that game cause it's a thoroughly mediocre open world crime game with a few funny bits and songs.

FStop7

Banned
I didn't listen to a single 2015 gotycast. They've gotten to be too cringey. I might try to listen to this year's casts. Or, I could spend that time playing 2016's GOTY, Titanfall 2.

It's certainly a better game than broken ass Skyrim. It's weirder to hear Brad to refer to it as magical and being "the game" than it is to hear Jeff enjoying the dumbness of SR3.

Saints Row 3 is some b tier stuff.

The game has 2 good missions and the rest of it is by the numbers open world GTA clone mission design OR a random collection of gag / mini game missions that are never fun.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It would be easier to call out Skyrim as GotY if the other possible winner wasn't Saints Row 3. I don't think that game deserves any award. It's a decent playing open world game with some funny stuff in it, but that's kinda it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I kinda get the love for SR3.

But it fails in the same way I think every GTA fails.

The city just feels so lifeless and the missions are fucking trash.

LiK

Saints Row 3 is some b tier stuff.

The game has 2 good missions and the rest of it is by the numbers open world GTA clone mission design OR a random collection of gag / mini game missions that are never fun.

It still made me laugh a lot. I had fun. Loved it all and the music choices were excellent.

demidar

I thought it was a bit weird at the time, then when I played SR3 on PS+ I realized they were actually certifiable about that game cause it's a thoroughly mediocre open world crime game with a few funny bits and songs.

You've described Skyrim except without the words "crime", "funny bits" and "songs"

Joeku

You seem actually upset that people like a game you don't like. I recommend working on that.

No, I actually totally get it. I was entranced by Bethesda's design as of Fallout 3. It was Skyrim that broke it for me. I was having fun until around ten hours in or so, and then every hour after that worsened the experience for me. I saw further and further through the Proverbial Matrix until the game was nothing but hero-worshipping simplistic reactions.

The sooner that breaks for most people, the sooner I can be happy about the way games are designed and sold.

What was number 2 the TLOU won GOTY?

Was it Bioshock Infinite or was that a bit lower on the list?

Also remember when Walking Dead vrs Xcom was your final for GOTY?

Johndoey

Banned
SR2- Amazing.

SR3- D tier trash.

Skyrim- Holy fuck is this game is boring. Combat is trash, most of the writing is trash, controlled poorly, awful UI.

Bioshock Infinite- The inferior Baker delivery vehicle of the year. Levine thought he was the hottest shit and managed to turn out a game with lazy commentary on religion, race, science, and early 20th century America and this delicious package is wrapped in some jank ass shooting gallery combat scenarios.

Harpuia

I bet you guys it'll be Titanfall 2 and Doom fighting for the #1 spot. And poor Vinny will have to watch them argue over two completely different games and aspects - Dooms single player and Titanfall 2's multi-player. Though I think Brad might win this fight. Jeff's really the only guy still singing the praises as much as he is about TF2.

Also y'all bringing out that SR3/Skyrim laundry again. Skyrim was a solid choice and I'm not sure what they saw in SR3 besides it's story and writing. But me saying that will make Vinny weep. GOTY is so arbitrary it hurts.

meanwhile the real GOTY Overwatch will be snubbed by Jeff because he liked Titanfall2 more for its #movementandfeel. Don't fail me now, Dan and Alex!!!

The only GoTY upset is Mordor winning.

That's the one y'all should be crying about. That game is actually garbage.

Runners-up: Bayonetta 2, Far Cry 4, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Jazzpunk, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Destiny

South Park, Mario Kart and COD: AW were alright... but man 2014 is the worst gaming year I've ever seen.

I don't blame them for picking Modor, at least the Nemesis system was interesting, even if the game around it was average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom