• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Last Guardian seems like its designed to stress out people with pets.

I don't think I could deal with a 10 hour game that is mostly "lets make the giant cat thing sad or in pain or in danger"

Meneses

Only way Brad's going with Hitman is if for some reason Doom falls out of contention for the top spot while Hitman remains (which isn't very likely to happen).

He'll probably go for it being number 2 over everything else, though.

FStop7

Banned
Back when the SR3 vs. Skyrim drama went down I was very Pro-SR3. In hindisight that's changed a bit because I've come to realize that SR3 isn't a game. It offers very little challenge and it is more of an "interactive animated comedy." And while I don't particularly care if something is or isn't a game on the whole, when you are ranking the "game of the year" then yes, you should limit it to games.

That said, picking Skyrim as GOTY was messed up in its own way considering it was completely broken on the PS3. GB did their audience a disservice.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Both are very good games, I do think DOOM will take it home this christmas(Well if Jeff doesn't decide to try to finagle titanfall 2 to GOTY)

kai3345

Banned
Back when the SR3 vs. Skyrim drama went down I was very Pro-SR3. In hindisight that's changed a bit because I've come to realize that SR3 isn't a game. It offers very little challenge and it is more of an "interactive animated comedy." And while I don't particularly care if something is or isn't a game on the whole, when you are ranking the "game of the year" then yes, you should limit it to games.

That said, picking Skyrim as GOTY was messed up in its own way considering it was completely broken on the PS3. GB did their audience a disservice.

SR3 was a game, and it was infinitely more fun than Skyrim.

FStop7

Banned
SR3 was a game, and it was infinitely more fun than Skyrim.

SR3 had the trappings of video games for the purpose of the story but that does not make it a game. If you took Pixels, Tron, or Wreck it Ralph and somehow let the audience interact at a couple of points they'd still be movies, not games.

I never said SR3 wasn't more or less fun than anything else. Lots of things that aren't games are fun. But they're still not games.

what
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

hamchan

I think everyone except Vinny were still in their "we don't get Dark Souls, everybody who likes it is a weirdo, not us" phase in 2011.

FStop7

Banned
Mario Maker is totally a game. It's got plenty of pre-made levels in addition to the construction stuff.

Saints Row, starting with 3, became "PUSH BUTTON FOR COMEDY EXPERIENCE", repeat. Like a virtual museum tour where you put on headphones and walk from exhibit to exhibit, except zany comedy themed. Fun, cool, but not a game.

Catvoca

Banned
Mario Maker is totally a game. It's got plenty of pre-made levels in addition to the construction stuff.

Saints Row, starting with 3, became "PUSH BUTTON FOR COMEDY EXPERIENCE", repeat. Like a virtual museum tour where you put on headphones and walk from exhibit to exhibit, except zany comedy themed. Fun, cool, but not a game.

I feel stupid for even replying to this nonsense but of all the games to pull the "this isn't a game" card, saints row the third is the weirdest. Like there's so many side missions and shit that are literally just gameplay with no cutscenes it boggles my mind you could think this.

FStop7

Banned
Am I remembering SR3 wrong? what the hell? Do I think of SR4?

4 doubled down on what started with 3.

I feel stupid for even replying to this nonsense

Then don't.

but of all the games to pull the "this isn't a game" card, saints row the third is the weirdest. Like there's so many side missions and shit that are literally just gameplay with no cutscenes it boggles my mind you could think this.

That stuff was there but it was vestigial.

Saint Row 3 was great, but Skyrim was the true GotY back then. The game is still amazing today, while SR3 is just eh. Even at its release, the game was just so easy and devoid of challenge that it almost fell into the Ubisoft Content Tourism category. It shouldn't even have been in the top five games of that year.

kai3345

Banned
SR3 had the trappings of video games for the purpose of the story but that does not make it a game. If you took Pixels, Tron, or Wreck it Ralph and somehow let the audience interact at a couple of points they'd still be movies, not games.

I never said SR3 wasn't more or less fun than anything else. Lots of things that aren't games are fun. But they're still not games.

saints row is maybe one of the most video game ass video games out there lmao

are you saying this just because it's basically impossible to die?

Joeku

Saints Row The Third is the MOST video game. It has an upgrade a a point that effectively says "eh, you're invincible now. Have fun."

Meguro

Banned
I will quote the one Austin Walker here and say that this argument that if a game has no challenge it's not considered a game shows the thinness of gaming.
What a ridiculous notion.
And I don't even like SR3!

This feels like an overreach of the "Walking simulator" argument to me and that's an equally stupid argument.

Johndoey

Banned
Kirby's Epic Yarn is the cutest anything ever created by human hands.
--
Yeah limiting what can be considered a game doesn't help anyone.

imBask

Banned
"that's stupid, you're stupid"
-Jeff's counterpoint to the curation system being absolute shit in Mario Maker, GOTY discussion 2015

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There's also the notion that people just really want to call their thing a game, because that's where its roots are even if it's totally ok to call it an interactive story or whatever. I always thought the "game" label also puts some people off that would actually enjoy stuff like that, because they are repelled by video games.

Giant bomb video of the year must be the Alex Extra life one, I'll fight anyone that disagree.

Nope, no way. I'll never go back and watch any of that. Awesome conceptually but boring to watch.

I'll give you it as a contender for Best Giant Bomb Moment or Sequence when Alex 100%ed that track so far into the stream.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Nope, no way. I'll never go back and watch any of that. Awesome conceptually but boring to watch.

I'll give you it as a contender for Best Giant Bomb Moment or Sequence when Alex 100%ed that track so far into the stream.
Last 5 songs were incredible but when you say it like that I kinda agree, it's still up there though.

Doom ain't winning.
We'll soon see how wrong you are :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom