• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Also y'all bringing out that SR3/Skyrim laundry again. Skyrim was a solid choice and I'm not sure what they saw in SR3 besides it's story and writing. But me saying that will make Vinny weep. GOTY is so arbitrary it hurts.

If I can quickly describe the difference between the two, Skyrim felt like a hero-worship facade that fell apart narratively and mechanically within a dozen hours, and Saints Row The Third was a hero-worship facade that was tight, funny, brazen, and satirical, and embraced the ridiculousness of the medium and it lasted for about a dozen hours.

Aaron

I don't think Mordor would've had any chance of winning if it came out early in the year. That game is good fun but insanely forgettable.
It's actually one of my favorite games of all time that I keep coming back to. It's a modern Batman with the bullshit stripped out, and the nemesis keeps is just fresh enough for me. Yes, the story is trash, but it's easy to skip. In terms of pure gameplay, there's no third person fighter I like better. Even Bayonetta, which has a better combat system, is too structured and has too much noise for me to dive in for a quick game.

Johndoey

Banned
I mean Mordor won because it was a game most of them played that they could most easily agree was pretty good.
---
The combat in Mordor is mechanically inferior to the proper Arkham games.

Kimaka

My petty wish for 2014 was for Dragon Age: Inquisition to not get on the list and it was barely mentioned. Makes up for them always ignoring the good rpgs that aren't AAA.

Tubobutts

It's actually one of my favorite games of all time that I keep coming back to. It's a modern Batman with the bullshit stripped out, and the nemesis keeps is just fresh enough for me. Yes, the story is trash, but it's easy to skip. In terms of pure gameplay, there's no third person fighter I like better. Even Bayonetta, which has a better combat system, is too structured and has too much noise for me to dive in for a quick game.
People with Simon Pegg avatars have good taste.

Harpuia

If I can quickly describe the difference between the two, Skyrim felt like a hero-worship facade that fell apart narratively and mechanically within a dozen hours, and Saints Row The Third was a hero-worship facade that was tight, funny, brazen, and satirical, and embraced the ridiculousness of the medium and it lasted for about a dozen hours.

Skyrim I had 100 hours + of playtime having a blast because it actually did a pleasantly decent surprise letting you role play a bit. Exploring that world never lost its charm. They made a fun place to explore. I feel the way Austin does about Fallout 4 but for Skyrim. It was nice to see that world and walk around it for that many hours and explore it. I certainly wish it were well written. If they could just merge the quality of writing for the Witcher but for a game like Skyrim it would be a dream come true. Actually, they should just let obsidian make another game with Bethesda's stuff. I bet it'd be great!

Maybe it was because gameplay was simplistic enough that it let me do a little role playing, not unlike Brad's experience with the game. I found myself identifying with how he played the game and the small back story he made in his head about his player character.

Yeah SR3 was super well written but the third person action felt like a total drag and halfway through the story I wanted a fastforward/movie version that would let me see the funny bits so I wouldn't have to go around shooting guys with my infinite ammo I already got. Now, if they had gone SR4's gameplay philosophy of "ok we'll give you guys the keys immediately" and started from there but with SR3, it would have made trudging through the gameplay for 10 more minutes of genuinely great writing more bearable.

Somewhere, Vinny is crying.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
My petty wish for 2014 was for Dragon Age: Inquisition to not get on the list and it was barely mentioned. Makes up for them always ignoring the good rpgs that aren't AAA.
Always remember that that garbage game won all the prestigious GotY awards like DICE, Keighleys, GI, IGN etc.

That's why they are all meaningless.

Plesiades

Do you mean The Game Awards Game of The Year Winner Dragon Age: Inquisition? I'm currently playing it. The story is OK so far, but the rest is just MMO City. I hope that Andromeda takes nothing from that.

Joeku

Skyrim I had 100 hours + of playtime having a blast because it actually did a pleasantly decent surprise letting you role play a bit. Exploring that world never lost its charm. They made a fun place to explore. I feel the way Austin does about Fallout 4 but for Skyrim. It was nice to see that world and walk around it for that many hours and explore it. I certainly wish it were well written. If they could just merge the quality of writing for the Witcher but for a game like Skyrim it would be a dream come true. Actually, they should just let obsidian make another game with Bethesda's stuff. I bet it'd be great!

Maybe it was because gameplay was simplistic enough that it let me do a little role playing, not unlike Brad's experience with the game. I found myself identifying with how he played the game and the small back story he made in his head about his player character.

Yeah SR3 was super well written but the third person action felt like a total drag and halfway through the story I wanted a fastforward/movie version that would let me see the funny bits so I wouldn't have to go around shooting guys with my infinite ammo I already got. Now, if they had gone SR4's gameplay philosophy of "ok we'll give you guys the keys immediately" and started from there but with SR3, it would have made trudging through the gameplay for 10 more minutes of genuinely great writing more bearable.

Somewhere, Vinny is crying.

Yeah, I totally get this and totally see why you and others can really get into Skyrim. It feels like it requires a little more suspension of disbelief than usual and if you are able to get there, all the more credit to you, because then you have a whole world open to you.

Skyrim just broke the formula for me. Like I said before, I saw through it, and instead of seeing characters on a clockwork path, I saw routines designed around making me feel the most heroic I could possibly be. That is where things get too open in design and fall apart for me.

Saints Row The Third on the other hand was an open world that railroaded you into ridiculous, hero-worshipping scenarios that very much acknowledged how ridiculous it was. It was funny and glorifying and stupidly empowering all at once, and I gelled more with it because of that. It was just that much more consistent.

Kimaka

Always remember that that garbage game won all the prestigious GotY awards like DICE, Keighleys, GI, IGN etc.

That's why they are all meaningless.

That's why I ignore most gaming outlets. If an rpg isn't made by Bioware, Bethesda, or, lately, CD Projekt, it isn't getting mentioned.

LiK

What games are you referring to?

Most RPGs, VNs and adventure games. I think only Vinny would probably point some of them out during the discussions. If Austin and Patrick were still there, it would be much more fruitful as well. Oh well

I'm expecting half the GOTY list to be just shooters cuz they all played most of them.

Catvoca

Banned
Most RPGs, VNs and adventure games. I think only Vinny would probably point some of them out during the discussions. If Austin and Patrick were still there, it would be much more fruitful as well. Oh well

That's true. It was nice having someone who would try games like Danganronpa out. No chance of anyone on the current crew playing Steins;Gate or something.

What?

This year isn't one of the greats by any means but it's head and shoulders ahead of 2014.

Let me clarify:
2016: a trash fire year globally in terms of politics and culture, but hey, some good video games came out

2014: a GOTYC wasteland, but at least the US didn't elect a fucking maniac to its highest public office

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Danganronpa is ok.

I feel like I like it because it's super fucking anime though, which usually means that it's a generally bad thing.

Let me clarify:
2016: a trash fire year globally in terms of politics and culture, but hey, some good video games came out

2014: a GOTYC wasteland, but at least the US didn't elect a fucking maniac to its highest public office
I'll take Trump and good video games any day.

If only we had GB content as well.

LiK

Danganronpa is ok.

I feel like I like it because it's super fucking anime though, which usually means that it's a generally bad thing.

It managed to win over Patrick even with the anime trappings. I guess I'll be happy to hear what they think of V3 next year on Waypoint podcast. Happy both Austin and Patrick are Danganronpa fans. Those podcasts are gonna be lit af like the kids say.

demidar

Yeah, I totally get this and totally see why you and others can really get into Skyrim. It feels like it requires a little more suspension of disbelief than usual and if you are able to get there, all the more credit to you, because then you have a whole world open to you.

Skyrim just broke the formula for me. Like I said before, I saw through it, and instead of seeing characters on a clockwork path, I saw routines designed around making me feel the most heroic I could possibly be. That is where things get too open in design and fall apart for me.

Saints Row The Third on the other hand was an open world that railroaded you into ridiculous, hero-worshipping scenarios that very much acknowledged how ridiculous it was. It was funny and glorifying and stupidly empowering all at once, and I gelled more with it because of that. It was just that much more consistent.

That part where you jump out of the helicopter to Power onto a high rise party. best moment of the year.

Too bad the shootout after you landed kinda sucked, but still.

minty_ice

Banned
It managed to win over Patrick even with the anime trappings. I guess I'll be happy to hear what they think of V3 next year on Waypoint podcast. Happy both Austin and Patrick are Danganronpa fans. Those podcasts are gonna be lit af like the kids say.

Halo 2 pls stop

Catvoca

Banned
Danganronpa is ok.

I don't watch any anime and I liked it. I like murder mystery stuff a lot though. That first game is basically just a bunch of Agatha Christie novels rewritten with a bunch of weird, amazing anime nonsense added.

I'll take Trump and good video games any day.
tumblr_n6mpba3slL1tczrsso1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom