• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd actually like to hear Brad's thought on this Dota2 update. Dota talk is way more compelling than the dull Overwatch segments we get in the Beastcast that are never interesting to hear about.

I was already thinking of waiting for the (theoretical) performance patch coming this month, but with all this chapter 13 gloom and doom I'm tempted to just put the game farther back in my backlog lol. I still have other stuff to play anyway, maybe I'll call up TLG early.

Wunder

I'd actually like to hear Brad's thought on this Dota2 update. Dota talk is way more compelling than the dull Overwatch segments we get in the Beastcast that are never interesting to hear about.

yeah but he has no one to bounce off of though and who knows how informed about the changes he'll actually be. I really don't want 20 minutes of him attempting to explain what the changes are, not even delving into the esoteric changes like the jungle or roshan positions, just say there was a big dota update and it will change the game a lot and move on.

J_Viper

The last portion of Inside is the most fucked up, disturbing, hilarious, and incredible slice of gameplay I've ever experienced.

That HAS to win Moment of the Year.

The last portion of Inside is the most fucked up, disturbing, hilarious, and incredible slice of gameplay I've ever experienced.

I agree, but Jeff and Dan are going to push hard for
the press L1 to time travel level
in Titanfall 2.

Joeku

Did anyone on staff play far enough into Dark Souls III to argue
the return to Anor Londo
? Cuz that was pretty rad.

Edit: Also the first time you
find an environmental puzzle
in the Witness is pretty fucking great too.

oti

Banned

HEY GUYS LOOK HOW CRAZY THIS MOMENT IS ISNT THIS TOTALLY CRAZY YOU GUYS IT MAKES NO SENSE BUT LOOK AT HOW WEIRD IT IS LOOK AT IT AND DO SOME REACTION VIDEOS PLZ SO WEIRD ALL THE FEELS AND IT ME

Joeku

It's probably going to be something garbage like the witness's environments thing.

Lmao >.>

HEY GUYS LOOK HOW CRAZY THIS MOMENT IS ISNT THIS TOTALLY CRAZY YOU GUYS IT MAKES NO SENSE BUT LOOK AT HOW WEIRD IT IS LOOK AT IT AND DO SOME REACTION VIDEOS PLZ SO WEIRD ALL THE FEELS AND IT ME

That moment is earned in and of itself and entirely separate of reaction videos. I had a fucking grossout scowl across my face during that whole bit. Also it was super-well programmed, and if it wasn't it would have fallen completely flat.

oti

Banned
Lmao >.>

That moment is earned in and of itself and entirely separate of reaction videos. I had a fucking grossout scowl across my face during that whole bit. Also it was super-well programmed, and if it wasn't it would have fallen completely flat.

Of course it's grotesque and shocking I wouldn't say it was earned though. Just because you're mysterious and don't answer any questions or flash out the world before all turns batshit insane it doesn't mean that batshit insane sequence actually means or adds anything. It's just shocking. That's ok, but it's just an elaborate jump scare. You think a jump scare is the best moment of the year?

Best sequence:

GNU2isS.png

Joeku

Of course it's grotesque and shocking I wouldn't say it was earned though. Just because you're mysterious and don't answer any questions or flash out the world before all turns batshit insane it doesn't mean that batshit insane sequence actually means or adds anything. It's just shocking. That's ok, but it's just an elaborate jump scare. You think a jump scare is the best moment of the year?

No, and frankly (sans-explicit spoilers) I'd argue against the jump scare idea. There is no crescendo in visuals or sound. It just changes into a slightly different-controlling manner of physics puzzle platformer. The relatively quiet change is what makes it work, and the reaction of the actors in the world assist in making it impactful, without beating me over the head with fuckupedness. I did that in my own head.

In short, there was no big violent violin stinger. It just rolled on.

;)

oti

Banned
Eh, sure.

I know it's weird and memorable. But to me it's just "ok, so that happened for some reason" instead of "Moment of the Year". It's weird because it wants to be weird. If this was an ending to a movie everyone would call it terrible.

Joeku

Eh, sure.

I know it's weird and memorable. But to me it's just "ok, so that happened for some reason" instead of "Moment of the Year". It's weird because it wants to be weird. If this was an ending to a movie everyone would call it terrible.

I get where you're coming from, but its weirdness is exemplified and justified by controlling the damn thing, the metanarrative (which is some videogame-ass bullshit, I accept that), and the actual third-act fucked nature of it. I can literally think of one movie that does something similar, and everyone seems to love that. This just couches it in different ideas in a different format.

I say all this knowing that someone can totally disregard that whole ending as bullshit and justify that. It's super nuts.

oti

Banned
Moment of the year was when you paint a block orange in Picross 3D 2 and it turns into something other than a perfect square cube like WHAT? 😱

No wait, moment of the year was when I killed 5 enemies with one Soldier 76 ult. 😎

Ashby

I got Infinite Warfare from the library but I have no motivation to play it. I just played through the TF2 campaign so I guess one sci-fi shooter is my limit over a few weeks.

hamchan

That Titanfall 2 moment has to take it for me because not only does it make you go "lol wat" it also follows it up by having a really awesome level based on it.

Man, this last UPF was one of my favourites in a long fucking time. All the game choices (except the football one I guess) were solid and the ending was impeccable. Cracking up at Space Truckers' leftfield turn and the JoJo's ending.

Joeku

Man, this last UPF was one of my favourites in a long fucking time. All the game choices (except the football one I guess) were solid and the ending was impeccable. Cracking up at Space Truckers' leftfield turn and the JoJo's ending.

As soon as they mentioned Roundabout it had to happen. Glad they pulled through.

Edit: DP, sorry. :(

SomberOwl

Is it just me or was the Titanfall 2 thing way overblown. I mean it's not really as cool as people were making it out to be. People were like "Theres this one level where you hit a button and wowwww omg soo gooooooood like mmmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmm good"

It really wasn't anything that special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom